[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

On 1/31/2018 at 12:52 AM, brooklyn666 said:

How does RO deal with part volumes for KIS? I've found they're absurdly large. The FASA ALSEP parts can't fit in a 400L KIS container because it says they are something like 10,000 liters which is obviously absurd. Even the wrench is something like 3L. Is there a way to change this?

Its supported but may need some fixes for 1.3/1.3.1  

Anyone starting up an RP-1 career I made a list that should work well to get it all installed with notes.  Its Partial CKAN then stages in the mods that take Github or special installation to get everything running smooth  Building a RP-1 Devlopment Build  Note that a few mods are changing somewhat quickly. Several of us are running it without significant problems. Some tuning is happening based on feedback.  Feel free to leave feedback yourself, github is the best place, find the relavent issue and note away.

Is there any way KAX could be adapted for RO compatibility? I was just thinking about how planes are very under-used in the stock game and RO. I was thinking an airline, aerial reconnaissance, or spaceplane contract pack for RP-0 would be really fun to play, and getting KAX compatible with RO would help with building certain plane designs.

@Hunony No release yet but there is working examples, I'm running a pretty complete version using developmental branches of RO/RP0 .  If you aren't used to using github for getting mods its hard to get it working.   Look for my link above to see the spreadsheet We are tracking the state of Mods in the RO suite.  Otherwise check out Nathan Kells Rusty RP-1 videos https://www.twitch.tv/nathankell/videos.  He is using pretty close to the install I am.  Regardless there are still plenty of flaws to work out.

I have obtained mods for KSP by following links from mod threads to GitHub.  Normally, it is pretty straightforward, even when checking for a new version.  However, I am sure there are quite a few complexities that I do not understand, particularly when it comes to when new versions are being developed.  For example, right now it appears that RealHeat is not functioning properly (I recall a spreadsheet note indicating this), but I see that on January 23, a "Rebuild" file (listed at https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealHeat/tree/master/RealHeat/Plugins) was created.  What exactly is a "Rebuild" (new version, outdated version, version in testing, etc.)?  It looks like NathanKell created this one.

Guys, I'm having a problem with RO-RP0. The node "Survivability" has a lot of heat shields, which I desperately need hehe. Now, I researched the node and warped to completion, but the parts are not there in the VAB. Is this a known issue? What am I doing wrong?

HEEEEEEEEEEELP! :(

1 hour ago, JaviLL said:

Guys, I'm having a problem with RO-RP0. The node "Survivability" has a lot of heat shields, which I desperately need hehe. Now, I researched the node and warped to completion, but the parts are not there in the VAB. Is this a known issue? What am I doing wrong?

HEEEEEEEEEEELP! :(

are you using a NoNonRP0 folder?  have you purchased them, are the getting messed up by filter, try typing "heat" in the VAB filter, try in sandbox if that doesn't work. 

I'm having an issue with RSS, where it is not replacing the stock kerbal solar system...I am using 1.3.1 with the latest RSS (pulled from master branch here), latest module manager, and Scaled RSS textures from here...any ideas? It's probably something stupid. :(

Edited by jstnj

36 minutes ago, jstnj said:

I'm having an issue with RSS, where it is not replacing the stock kerbal solar system...I am using 1.3.1 with the latest RSS (pulled from master branch here), latest module manager, and Scaled RSS textures from here...any ideas? It's probably something stupid. :(

Kopernicus installed?

31 minutes ago, Theysen said:

Kopernicus installed?

Yes, forgot to mention that.

Edit: Solved, it was either MFI or Kopernicus, I pulled the latest versions from github and overwrote what was in there...it works now. Thanks!

Edited by jstnj

Does anyone else have real trouble just getting (apollo and fuel only) docking ports to latch?

I have tried rotating the craft, while rubbing the ports together, and they just will not latch. Do I have to do things with the bumpers to get them to work? When I try the bumpers just push my craft apart, hardly useful.

Whatever I try I simply cannot connect two craft using docking ports.

EDIT : I have decided to not bother, I will just use the claw to `dock`. Turn it on, hit the other craft hard enough and you are done, none of this fiddly messing about that, in the real world, is just done automatically by a computer. I am playing the game on a computer, if it cannot be assumed `for realism` that it has matched up the ports then I will simply not bother. Realism at that excessively pointless level without the real world devices that make it possible is just not fun (not even dwarf fortress style `fun`). They tried to dock manually in real life once, but only once... I will take their experience on board I think.

Edited by John FX

I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature... 

All the communication devices that come with RO have a max. temp. of 473K making them overheat and explode when in orbit around Venus or Mercury. I have noticed that time warping between 10x and 100x causes the temperature in the parts to drop to around 230K, but no time warp or time warps over 1000x makes the temperature rise to around 500K at 624km altitude around Venus.

If this is intended for RO, how do you send probes to the inner planets without using other mods? Using time warp to cool things down feels like a cheat. 

Spoiler

KSP Version: 1.2.2.1622

Installed Modules:

- AdvancedJetEngine v2.8.0
- CommunityResourcePack 0.6.6.0
- FerramAerospaceResearch 3:0.15.8.1
- KerbalJointReinforcement v3.3.2
- Kopernicus 2:release-1.2.2-6
- ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.4.0
- ModuleManager 2.7.6
- RealChute v1.4.3.0
- RealFuels rf-v12.2.4
- RealHeat v4.4
- RealismOverhaul v11.5.1
- RealPlume 2:v11.0.0
- RealSolarSystem v12.0.0
- RSSTextures2048 v10.4
- SmokeScreen 2.7.4.0
- SolverEngines v3.1

Edit: Player.log

Edited by JonGustav
added log

So I recently began my first RSS/RO game, and came across something which is not that big of a deal by itself, but that I'd like to fix very much.

Realism Overhaul changes the names and descriptions of the stock engines to fit the "realistic" theme of the pack (the Rhino becoming the F-1 series, for example), which I totally understand. However, it's somewhat bothering how different the engines look to their supposed real life counterparts. Not even Ven's Stock Revamp - suggested by RO - seems to get closer in terms of similarity. Once again, not exactly a deal breaker, but also not something my nitpicking side can get behind :P

Installing Real Scale Boosters (which has really great models!) just makes things worse, since now I have multiple variants of the same engine which look nothing alike.

Tweakscale doesn't work for the "stock"  engines as well, but I can live with that (would be really cool if there was a way to enable it through a technology like Miniaturization, though).

Is there any way to fix any of these "problems"?

25 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

So I recently began my first RSS/RO game, and came across something which is not that big of a deal by itself, but that I'd like to fix very much.

Realism Overhaul changes the names and descriptions of the stock engines to fit the "realistic" theme of the pack (the Rhino becoming the F-1 series, for example), which I totally understand. However, it's somewhat bothering how different the engines look to their supposed real life counterparts. Not even Ven's Stock Revamp - suggested by RO - seems to get closer in terms of similarity. Once again, not exactly a deal breaker, but also not something my nitpicking side can get behind :P

Installing Real Scale Boosters (which has really great models!) just makes things worse, since now I have multiple variants of the same engine which look nothing alike.

Tweakscale doesn't work for the "stock"  engines as well, but I can live with that (would be really cool if there was a way to enable it through a technology like Miniaturization, though).

Is there any way to fix any of these "problems"?

Uhm, install better part packs then? There are a ton of engine packs listed in the OP.

SSTU is the very best at the moment to give you a huge variety of lifter engines which look real. Then there's RealEngines and so on and so on. Click through the recommended ones.

There will always be little differences to real life, of course. But those packs come insanely close.

You'll always have "duplciates" in the part catalogue, but diversity is key to choose from right :wink:

Edited by Theysen

I'm playing RO/RSS/RP-0 on KSP 1.2.2 with all their required and most all of their recommended mods.  Plus I have at least a dozen various parts mods.  The game itself works just fine, or at least as well I as expect it to.  My problem is not with any particular mod, but with some of the rockets I'm building.  With just a few exceptions I've been faithfully recreating US rockets.  In my campaign I've started with the Juno and Redstone, and worked my way through all the various Thor (Thor-Able, Thor-Agena, Thor-Ablestar, Thor-Delta, etc), Atlas, Titan and Early Delta rockets, all without issue.  I've built the Saturn I, Saturn IB, & Saturn V and they all launch perfectly.  My more modern Atlas I & II, and basically all Titan rockets (II, III & IV) launch and fly perfectly.  But my Delta II rockets, and now my Atlas V, all seem to have heavy instability at the early parts of the launch.  It's only after the first two minutes, when the strap on boosters have been expended and jettisoned, that stability returns.  I'm wondering if this instability, apparently caused by having strap on boosters and/or high TWR (2.5+ in some extreme cases) is something anyone else has experienced and if anyone has any suggestions on how to alleviate it?

Something I should note is that I see more of the instability when I'm launching using Mechjeb ascent guidance (with classic or PEG) and less when I just turn SAS on and attempt a manual launch.

10 minutes ago, Clockwork13 said:

Is there any version of this that works with 1.3? Currently RO just causes my game to crash.

Here's the thing: not much has changed between 1.3 and 1.2.2. This means that you can:

a) Go on Steam

b) Right-click on KSP and select "Properties"

c) Click on the "Betas" tab

d) Select the beta that you would like to opt into (In this case it's 1.2.2)

Steam will then proceed to revert your current KSP to 1.2.2, and you will be able to get realism overhaul.

As for the crashing problem:

a) Check if your computer is x64 or x32

b) Check as you download: first download only the required mods, then run KSP. Then turn off KSP and keep doing the same with other mods.

I too have a question: What is going on? I'm not sure why RO has been completely stagnant for half a year. Is it dead? Will we lose it completely with the next KSP update?

9 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Here's the thing: not much has changed between 1.3 and 1.2.2. This means that you can:

a) Go on Steam

b) Right-click on KSP and select "Properties"

c) Click on the "Betas" tab

d) Select the beta that you would like to opt into (In this case it's 1.2.2)

Steam will then proceed to revert your current KSP to 1.2.2, and you will be able to get realism overhaul.

As for the crashing problem:

a) Check if your computer is x64 or x32

b) Check as you download: first download only the required mods, then run KSP. Then turn off KSP and keep doing the same with other mods.

I too have a question: What is going on? I'm not sure why RO has been completely stagnant for half a year. Is it dead? Will we lose it completely with the next KSP update?

I know, but all my other mods are for 1.3, and I don't really want to reinstall all of them.