[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

Hello again. Finally i installed succesfully RSS+RO+RP-1.
Now i have mission to land on Venus and here are some problems.
First - I can not testflight landing.
When i enter simulation - sim cancelles at the point i hit Venus atmo. Is that ok?
Second - temperature problems
I have tried landing and at altitude about 12km my ship explodes due to overheating. Lots of parts have internal max temp about 600K and ship explodes. 
I tried use.. the only core with high temp - V2 rocket core. Also landing legs, stock batt, solar panels and antenna with 3Gm range(covered one). 
And here we come to third problem.
final landing.
My ship survived and cruising down at 3km at speed ~35m\s
How can i stop it? 
Dense atmo - ok, parachutes! But Kevlar parachute has max temp 500K and i can't deploy it.
Reactive landing!
But all procedural tanks have 663K max temp and it can't survive last kilometers over surface.

So any idea how to land? I only have 1 launch window after contract expires.
Too hard challange for me, i suppose

Just found another feature, that is a bit strange for me - what was the point to add RCS thrusters to staging list? And how disable it? When building payload for outer planets transfer it gets a bit messy with RCS icons. On stage 3, on stage 4, on stage 5 i have some thrusters, and never use them at staging. Any idea how to remove RCS icon from staging list?

6 hours ago, mwg_test said:

Just found another feature, that is a bit strange for me - what was the point to add RCS thrusters to staging list? And how disable it? When building payload for outer planets transfer it gets a bit messy with RCS icons. On stage 3, on stage 4, on stage 5 i have some thrusters, and never use them at staging. Any idea how to remove RCS icon from staging list?

It's configurable in the VAB via right click. 

But the kind of payloads you're talking about are exactly why it was made stageable to begin with. Otherwise you've got shielded payloads potentially expending RCS before they even get to doing their preliminary injection burns.

But it's your call and you do have control over it.

15 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

It's configurable in the VAB via right click. 

But the kind of payloads you're talking about are exactly why it was made stageable to begin with. Otherwise you've got shielded payloads potentially expending RCS before they even get to doing their preliminary injection burns.

But it's your call and you do have control over it.

Well, in VAB as i remenber there is only enable/disable rcs and engine gui(fuel type choosing). No function for disable icons/staging

3 hours ago, mwg_test said:

Well, in VAB as i remenber there is only enable/disable rcs and engine gui(fuel type choosing). No function for disable icons/staging

Maybe I mis-remembered it then... or maybe it was in a recent KSP update.

7 hours ago, mwg_test said:

there is only enable/disable rcs

And that is what you are looking for. RCS start disabled and they get enabled upon reaching the specified staging level. If you enable them then they will be active at all times.

Now, if by "And how disable it?" you mean "how do i remove that feature and the icons completely" then you have two options:

• you don't...
  • dig inside the RO folder, find the config that adds the functionality and remove it (this of course voids any warranties about RO...)

3 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

And that is what you are looking for. RCS start disabled and they get enabled upon reaching the specified staging level. If you enable them then they will be active at all times.

Now, if by "And how disable it?" you mean "how do i remove that feature and the icons completely" then you have two options:

• you don't...
  • dig inside the RO folder, find the config that adds the functionality and remove it (this of course voids any warranties about RO...)

Yeah, I understand the mechanism and how it works. No need to remove feature completly, only hide RCS icons on staging. From 0.23(or when squad removed ALL items on staging) i use staging only for engine start and decouple, all other - with action groups. 
If is hardcoded deep - i understand. This is feature for better "quality of life" improvements and have lowest priority(compared to others).
Still - thanks for answer

On 8/24/2018 at 10:57 AM, mwg_test said:

But all procedural tanks have 663K max temp and it can't survive last kilometers over surface.

Procedural tanks also come in a shielded version which takes max temp to 1500K if I recall correctly - I use these for my spaceplanes.

58 minutes ago, flyby2412 said:

Hey when i checked ckan to download realism overhual and all its other parts, ckan claims nothing exists.

what gives?

I think that's because if CKAN sees your KSP install as a 1.4.x version, it won't provide RO mods for KSP 1.3.1 because of the version mismatch.

33 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I think that's because if CKAN sees your KSP install as a 1.4.x version, it won't provide RO mods for KSP 1.3.1 because of the version mismatch.

ah so the only way to play it is to downgrade to version 1.3.1 then rerun ckan correct? I'll give that a go. I hope everything will be bundled easily like the thread says.

on another note. What is the biggest difference between 1.3.1 and 1.4.x?

2 hours ago, flyby2412 said:

on another note. What is the biggest difference between 1.3.1 and 1.4.x?

A lot of stuff.  I barely played 1.3.1 and I'm just getting back into KSP after a long hiatus, so I'm not that familiar with the 1.4.x series.  You can look at the Wiki version history and delve into the version specific change files to find out.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Version_history

2 minutes ago, Jacke said:

A lot of stuff.  I barely played 1.3.1 and I'm just getting back into KSP after a long hiatus, so I'm not that familiar with the 1.4.x series.  You can look at the Wiki version history and delve into the version specific change files to find out.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Version_history

Sweet. In other good news I was able to get Realism to run on 1.3.1 but had to downgrade to 1.2.1 since i could'nt find a realistic progression in 1.3.1.

By any chance is there anybody here who has been able to play RP-(x) , RO, and Principia altogether?

FInally in career unlocked superdraco engine, for me it's best solution for heavy far-away missions(fuel not boiling off, thrust control and unlimited ingnitions), but i always have wobbling, while they are active. No matter i use smartA.S.S. from mechjeb or stock SAS. An all symmetry modes. With 1KN thrusters i used before - everything is ok. Ship is perfectly symmetric.(tested with avionics core, tank and 4 engines).
To fix that i replaced in engineconfig i replaced emty modulegimbal with 

MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
    	{
    	      gimbalRange = 3.0 
  	      useGimbalResponseSpeed = True
  	      gimbalResponseSpeed = 4
  	  }

but it did not work.
Any idea how to fix wobblinng, or add gimbal to superdraco?

15 hours ago, njbrown09 said:

wHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN Rp-0 and rp-1? where can i download rp-1?

Hi @njbrown09

RP-1 is RP-0 with new tech-tree, science mechanisms, astronauts career management, contracts, and more.
It is actually the dev branch of RP-0 : https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/tree/Developmental

You should find the instructions to install it, only for KSP v1.3.1 in the wiki : https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/Setting-up-for-Development-Install-:Temp-Page:

For other questions about RP-0/RP-1, please post on the RP-0 thread : https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/162117-122-realistic-progression-zero-rp-0-lightweight-realismoverhaul-career-v054-june-15/&

along with I assume the mods that came with Realism overhual was a mod that allowed you to change what the RCS would respond to; Pitch, Yaw, Roll, for attitude and thrust for Starboard Aft etc, does anyone know what that mod was because my RCS usage is WAY WAY up since abandoning my old 1.2.2 install.

6 hours ago, etheoma said:

along with I assume the mods that came with Realism overhual was a mod that allowed you to change what the RCS would respond to; Pitch, Yaw, Roll, for attitude and thrust for Starboard Aft etc, does anyone know what that mod was because my RCS usage is WAY WAY up since abandoning my old 1.2.2 install.

That is stock behaviour.  It's called show activation toggles.  If you don't see something like that, then open settings and check you have advanced tweakables turned on.

Hello, I just put realsim overhaul and these mods:

Advanced Jet Engine
    Ferram Aerospace Research
    Kerbal Joint Reinforcement
    Module Manager
    Real Chute
    Real Fuels
    Real Heat
    Real Plume
    SmokeScreen

As recommended in the first page of the topic. Unfortunately, KSP 1.4.5 tells me that Realsim Overhaul and the 3 first mods (AJE, FAR, KJR) are not compatible. I go on, try to build a rocket but no rocket engines, only the planes engines and a very few.

Is that a known problem? Or must I wait for a next release of RO?

9 minutes ago, Cousnouf said:

Hello, I just put realsim overhaul and these mods:

Advanced Jet Engine
    Ferram Aerospace Research
    Kerbal Joint Reinforcement
    Module Manager
    Real Chute
    Real Fuels
    Real Heat
    Real Plume
    SmokeScreen

As recommended in the first page of the topic. Unfortunately, KSP 1.4.5 tells me that Realsim Overhaul and the 3 first mods (AJE, FAR, KJR) are not compatible. I go on, try to build a rocket but no rocket engines, only the planes engines and a very few.

Is that a known problem? Or must I wait for a next release of RO?

Answered your question pretty much yourself.  Install Ksp 1.3.1 via steam (right click on ksp-> settings->betas and choose 1.3.1) and than install the RO and its dependencies