[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

2 hours ago, BlitzCadet said:

Probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyways :P

Some parts (f.ex. some stock engines) says "Non-RO" does that mean it's not changed by RO to have realistic values?

Thanks.

Think of it as not having been certified for RO regardless of whether the values are realistic or not.

I love it so far, playing with real earth real fuels, more pain in the ass stuff :) makes the game challenging again.

I would recommend for people not to look for tutorials, and experiment. Rockets are supercheap so making mistakes and experimenting as part of the process :)

I will install the janitor's closet to make my memory footprint and my clogged parts a bit less of pain in the ass (hopefully).

is it worth installing principia in order to have the correct tilts?

and also Im playing 1.4.5 so no RP1 and no clouds for me if I get it correctly. Right now I cant really miss it with my memory footprint, but clouds are cool :)

Is it worth to first play RP0 and then RP1?

The only problem is when I get to play kerbal again I dont get much sleep :)

thanks to everybody for this great super-meta-mod :)

6 hours ago, wasteoinc said:

I love it so far, playing with real earth real fuels, more pain in the ass stuff :) makes the game challenging again.

I would recommend for people not to look for tutorials, and experiment. Rockets are supercheap so making mistakes and experimenting as part of the process :)

I will install the janitor's closet to make my memory footprint and my clogged parts a bit less of pain in the ass (hopefully).

and also Im playing 1.4.5 so no RP1 and no clouds for me if I get it correctly. Right now I cant really miss it with my memory footprint, but clouds are cool :)

The only problem is when I get to play kerbal again I dont get much sleep :)

thanks to everybody for this great super-meta-mod :)

For the *full* realistic experience, I recommend a fresh KSP 1.3.1 install with Realism Overhaul (and dependencies & recommendations), Real Solar System, Realistic Progression 1 (RP-1) and Principia. You will never go back. Not only will it challenge & engage you, but it will drive you to learn and investigate real orbital mechanics, spacecraft design, etc.

For visual beautification, Real Solar System Visual Enhancements (RSSVE) is compatible with KSP 1.3.1; and you can throw KS3P on top for maximum pleasure.

Edited by hypervelocity

2 hours ago, Nigel Cardozo said:

How can you speed long launches in ro rss? Sorry I went off topic

In my understanding by having less mods and less parts, and many parts in RSS are kind of redundant. I havent tried yet

@hypervelocity Thanks for the recommendation. Now that I have already started with 1.4.5 (I know I was a victim of thinking this would be a better experience), Im a little bit lazy to go back and loose my "progress". It took me long enough to make everything work smoothly :)

2 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

For the *full* realistic experience, I recommend a fresh KSP 1.3.1 install with Realism Overhaul (and dependencies & recommendations), Real Solar System and Principia. You will never go back. Not only will it challenge & engage you, but it will drive you to learn and investigate real orbital mechanics, spacecraft design, etc.

For visual beautification, Real Solar System Visual Enhancements (RSSVE) is compatible with KSP 1.3.1; and you can throw KS3P on top for maximum pleasure.

Is RO works with the basic career mode (tech tree/missions) or do I need the RP-1? 

On 1/30/2019 at 3:38 PM, BlitzCadet said:

Is RO works with the basic career mode (tech tree/missions) or do I need the RP-1? 

great question, I just edited my original post as I missed RP-1

RP-1 balances the tech tree, a few parts and contracts (and surely does a lot more that I am not honouring right now) and aligns your Carreer mode to the Realism Overhaul suite. I fully recommend it as I too play Carreer mode. I have always played with RO, RP and RSS and enjoy it every time :D

Edited by hypervelocity

7 hours ago, wasteoinc said:

Principia is a lot of fun. I had to learn how to do rendezvous again when I tried it, it was great! The only problem for me is that it was too demanding for my computer. This might be because I use a Mac, but 2.3GHz and 8GB RAM is not enough for the Principia mod. Everything works except timewarp being too slow to do any interplanetary missions. 

If you try Principia, you need to start a new game, because it moves the planets around. You might also want to disable astroids to make timewarp a bit faster. Principia Wiki - Installing & FAQ

7 hours ago, wasteoinc said:

I recommend just starting playing RP-1. It is easy to install for 1.3.1 on CKAN (RP-1 Wiki - Installation) or if you want to try it for 1.4.5 then you should have a look at the KSP 1.4 Golden Spreadsheet

I agree with @hypervelocity! RP-1 and Principia is like playing a new game. It is fun. :D

15 hours ago, MaltYebisu said:

Principia is a lot of fun. I had to learn how to do rendezvous again when I tried it, it was great! The only problem for me is that it was too demanding for my computer. This might be because I use a Mac, but 2.3GHz and 8GB RAM is not enough for the Principia mod. Everything works except timewarp being too slow to do any interplanetary missions. 

If you try Principia, you need to start a new game, because it moves the planets around. You might also want to disable astroids to make timewarp a bit faster. Principia Wiki - Installing & FAQ

Ok that solves it, no principia for my old computer (Q6600@3000 + 8GB RAM)

I recommend just starting playing RP-1. It is easy to install for 1.3.1 on CKAN (RP-1 Wiki - Installation) or if you want to try it for 1.4.5 then you should have a look at the KSP 1.4 Golden Spreadsheet

I agree with @hypervelocity! RP-1 and Principia is like playing a new game. It is fun. :D

Oh I remember that spreadsheet, I feel weak now to attack it but one day :)

I think in RP0 they skipped 1.4.5 for 1.5.1

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/pull/908

which is at odds with RO as they skipped released 1.4.5 and skipped 1.5.1 for 1.6 :)

So after all that if someone wants RP-0 with RO one should stick to the magikal 1.3.1

PS I stand corrected more newer info here . There will be after all a "minor" release for 1.4.5

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/issues/976

Edited by wasteoinc

5 hours ago, strudo76 said:

So what's the go for a first time RO/RSS player? Just install 1.3.1 and use CKAN, install the required and recommended, install Principia, and go for it? Are there other mods that might want to go on top for extra fun?

Thanks.

Based on my recent experience attempting to upgrade from 1.2.2 RP-0 to RP-1, use 1.3.1 and follow this guide:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/RP-1-Installation

A 1.4.5 RP-1 install might be possible, but you'd have to do an awful lot more work to get it functioning.

Also, do not install "MechJeb and Engineer for All". First, RO does that for you already. Second, that config adds a 10,000,000-memory kOS disc to every command unit... and that plays havoc with pricing in a weird way that isn't immediately apparent*.

*The price of that enormous kOS disc only occurs once you actually launch it. Your 1k-fund sounding rocket suddenly drains all your funds at launch, and then recovers for 200k funds on recovery.

On 1/27/2019 at 11:47 PM, frisch said:

What electrical propulsion is supported by RO?

Near Future Propulsion is the only supported mod I've heard of.

On 1/28/2019 at 5:16 PM, hypervelocity said:

How is the rest of the RO/RSS community dealing with spaceplane launches? 

1. Launching vertically and landing on the parachute (like I do with DynaSoar in RP-0)

2. Using KSP 1.0.5 for horizontal takeoff and landing.

Edited by winged

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2018 at 2:04 PM, Theysen said:

No not yet and the compatibility update is undetermined. 

Also please consider reading the last few posts as well next time, we already covered the question.

For a general statement, as long this thread title does not cover [1.4.X] in it, it won't work with those versions. :)

It partially works, but part configs are a bit messed up, so it's better to use RO's individual parts on their own instead.

17 hours ago, pap1723 said:

@linuxgurugamer

They are untested as far as I know, but there is no reason that most of them should not be.

I found the problem with the launch buttons.  It's rather unobvious.

Before I submit a PR, I have a few questions for you:

First, I saw a number of places in the code which were commented out with the comment:

/* 1.4 addition
*/

I've replaced all of them with the following:

#if KSP1_4
#endif

and in my local .csproj, I define that compiletime value

Secondly, the problem occurs because of the way KSP handles the green Launch button in relation to the multiple launch-site buttons;  It seems that sometime after the editor is started, the button associated with the active launch site adds the listener back to the green button.  It is somewhat timing dependent, which is why it was happening sometimes and then not others.

I  handle this as follows:

I added this call to the Start() method in KerbalConstructionTime.cs, at line (about) 416, right after the DelayedStart:

#if KSP1_4
            StartCoroutine(HandleEditorButton_Coroutine());
#endif

and then created the following Coroutine which runs 2x a second:

#if KSP1_4
        IEnumerator HandleEditorButton_Coroutine()
        {
            while (true)
            {
                if (HighLogic.LoadedSceneIsEditor)
                    KCT_Utilities.HandleEditorButton();
                yield return new WaitForSeconds(0.5f);
            }
        }
#endif

Since it appears that changing the default selected launch facility changes the Listeners on the button, I figured that this would take care of it without impacting the performance

Let me know how you would like me to proceed.  It would be nice to have a single KCT which serves both RO and stock

Hello! I am having a strange issue with the RCS in RO 1.4.5. Essentially what is happening is that the RCS is functioning fine, but the appearance is wrong. The plume is much larger than normal and the direction is reversed. (Ex: If I press H to translate foreward, the plumes will activate as though I am pressing N). If anybody has a solution or has experienced this issue too please let me know.

Edited by Serpatron

6 hours ago, Serpatron said:

Hello! I am having a strange issue with the RCS in RO 1.4.5. Essentially what is happening is that the RCS is functioning fine, but the appearance is wrong. The plume is much larger than normal and the direction is reversed. (Ex: If I press H to translate foreward, the plumes will activate as though I am pressing N). If anybody has a solution or has experienced this issue too please let me know.

This will be a long-term fix *many* of the RO configs need to undergo. It was introduced by switching the stock RCS-FX modules and some RO configs still reference an old one. 

Apparently the thrust force on the Falcon 9 Full Thrust Interstage RCS Unit is too small (0.4). If you look at the video from SpaceX you can see that the RCS after the separation of stages provides more traction. Does anyone know the real traction figures issued by the RCS ?

7 hours ago, Briso said:

Apparently the thrust force on the Falcon 9 Full Thrust Interstage RCS Unit is too small (0.4). If you look at the video from SpaceX you can see that the RCS after the separation of stages provides more traction. Does anyone know the real traction figures issued by the RCS ?

When you say interstage I interpret that to be the RCS for the first stage. SpaceX has not released specific numbers that I'm aware of but those are nitrogen cold gas thrusters and they would have an isp of 73 tops (I think RO assigns them 70). Thrust of 0.4 (400 newtons) seems overpowered for N2 gas thrusters and sounds more like the Dracos that are used on the second stage (and also on the cargo Dragon and Crew Dragon)

Back to the N2 thrusters, RO gives them a thrust of 250 Newtons; again, not sure if that is accurate or not but IRL it wouldn't be any higher than that.