[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

SO I quickly read through here so i'm sorry if this has been asked before. I haven't played ksp in years and I just now got back into Real fuels with RSS on ksp 1.8.1 And I love RSS but I don't like the RO so I was wondering if I downloaded REal engines and theres missing options in game to right click on the engines and configure the tech levels it's because i'm missing RO? What does one have to download to get the engines to work properly in RSS using realfuels but with out using RO? do I just get the default config by raptor posted in the RF post? but then won't that under perform the engines for the Real solar system? Thanks for the help in advance i'm sure for you veteran players out there it's an easy question to answer but I've been out of the game so long I can't remember what I had to get to make it work properly! and yes I did read the post on RF forum but also a lot of the links are dead.

Be cause I like the kerbal sized parts and I like the idea of kerbals and not humans but I like the size of RSS. So I would like to use real engines if possible but with kerbal sized capsules etc. Would it not be possible to Download the RO engines but then download RO and just use the engine configs? SO far I have raptors config for stock parts but RO engines don't work with that. only stock engines.

20 minutes ago, Dermeister said:

but RO engines don't work with that. only stock engines.

That's the whole point of RO. See what are you trying to do is basically what RO does, it changes engines/tanks/parts to have their IRL, Fuel, Mass, ISP & Scale. The only thing you don't want is that RO scales parts up, right? I'm a bit confused here.

There is however another option: SMURFF (not compatible with RealFuels, so Stock LF/OX) it changes just the mass and the thrust of all parts, not their size. As a summary you can't get both. RealFuels is linked to RO.

Edited by ValiZockt

4 hours ago, ValiZockt said:

That's the whole point of RO. See what are you trying to do is basically what RO does, it changes engines/tanks/parts to have their IRL, Fuel, Mass, ISP & Scale. The only thing you don't want is that RO scales parts up, right? I'm a bit confused here.

There is however another option: SMURFF (not compatible with RealFuels, so Stock LF/OX) it changes just the mass and the thrust of all parts, not their size. As a summary you can't get both. RealFuels is linked to RO.

YEa pretty much I would like to keep my kerbal look and feel and not up scale the capsules.I do use procedural parts tho. I don't mind having to make rockets bigger but I would like to keep the kerbal size as if kerbals were operating from earth. I want to operate with real fuels in RSS and not be limited by underperforming engines.Would be nice to use RO engines I downloaded the engines but they don't work as I assume they need the config from RO. I know they have configs for people who don't use RO. and that works fine for the stock engines. But I was wondering if there was more engines or configs out there that I was not aware of.

Edited by Dermeister

@Lisias How is whatever you wrote even relevant to the issue above? Btw RO doesn't even support KSP 1.9 yet.

@jkenny23 Please try adding drag losses to a MJ window and compare the values between the 2 launches. Mass might also be something that is worth comparing.

Edited by siimav

50 minutes ago, siimav said:

@Lisias How is whatever you wrote even relevant to the issue above? Btw RO doesn't even support KSP 1.9 yet.

The M.O. was remarkably similar to what I trying to overcome: launching a craft from the LaunchPad works fine, but loading it on the Editor before launch mangles it.

That's exactly what's happening on attached surfaces on variant parts in KSP 1.9.

I doubt this is a coincidence, this is something that may be happening from some time and it happened to bite me just now. But since I don't know R.O. enough and just after publishing my post I realised the craft was made on 1.7.3, I choose to remove my post - 10 minutes before your posting, so not soon enough as it appears.

Got the issue down to just 3 parts (well only 1 that matters; the reversed engine at the front of the craft). It does happen for different engines; this time I tried LR105. The drag indeed is the thing that changes drastically between the runs (Launch from VAB vs. Return to Launch):

iyYrNty.png

Craft is a Castor 120 with 13k fuel, Agena Avionics Package, and reversed LR105 at the top. It gets to an apoapsis of 651km from VAB, or 784km from RTL. Works also with LR87-LH2 and 2 full Mk1 Fuselages, 213.7km/407.7km. So I guess this would be a FAR issue since it's aerodynamics?

On 4/4/2020 at 3:17 PM, pt1243 said:

I've noticed something unexpected with the water purifiers from TACLS. 3 kerbals output 3 x 86400 x 5.7E-5 = 14.77 waste water per day. Using 2 Water Purifiers, their inputs are 7.02 x 2 = 14.04 waste water per day. No problems there. However, they output 2 x 6.62 = 13.24 water per day, and the three kerbals only need 3 x 86400 x 4.48E-5 = 11.61 water per day, leaving a water surplus of 1.63 water per day. Is is realistic to essentially be able to have infinite water, given enough food and oxygen? Apologies if this is a stupid question - it is quite possible that this is intentional, and that the extra water is assumed to be coming from the food.

Just wanted to give this a bump. I've done some math and figured that essentially 1 unit of Water = 1.27 units of waste water in normal kerbal consumption. Water purifiers convert 1 unit of waste water back to 0.94 units of water. Therefore 1 water -> 1.27 waste water -> 1.2 water.

I would suggest that the WasteWaterProductionRate needs to be lowered below 1 in the TAC patches.

@Qwarkk @pt1243  I'm not using TACLS atm, but you do realise that food contains water and both carbon and hydrogen, so in reality (for an astronaut that is alive and both eating and drinking), the equation is really food + water + O2 -> waste water + (atmospheric) water vapour + CO2.  So the eat, drink, respire, recycle water cycle producing a net amount of water seems reasonable to me.

Having an issue with a realism overhaul game in 1.8. I launch a vessel, and after a few seconds or around 150m/s i lose control. The F3 log shows that the root part has been ripped off due to airflow. Weird as the root part remains connected and its right-click menu remains accessible. However, physics just kinda stops. My altiude is locked, my speed is 0, the apoapsis increases rapidly. There is a repeated log spam of:

Hide contents

[ERR 21:32:20.805] TimingFI threw during Update: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
  at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.ExceptionArgument argument, System.ExceptionResource resource) [0x00029] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0
  at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException () [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0
  at FlightIntegrator.UpdateOcclusionSolar () [0x00220] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0
  at FlightIntegrator.UpdateOcclusion (System.Boolean all) [0x00069] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0
  at ModularFI.ModularFlightIntegrator.UpdateOcclusion (System.Boolean all) [0x00007] in <1a5eb41924ae4dfca6d5042557592b79>:0
  at FlightIntegrator.Update () [0x0007a] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0
  at ModularFI.ModularFlightIntegrator.TimedUpdate () [0x0000e] in <1a5eb41924ae4dfca6d5042557592b79>:0
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) <Module>.invoke_void()
  at TimingFI.Update () [0x00023] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0

I asked in the MFI forum, but I now understand it is due to a mod using MFI. I know FAR lists MFI as a direct requirement, but i wanted to ask here first as these issues started around the time i edited RO_Physics.cfg for realism overhaul. That cfg was setting kerbal crew mass to 0.1. After a lot of testing, I found this was causing lots of parts in my save to have negative mass if they were attached to the root part. I removed that single line to resolve that issue, could it be the cause of this?

Any help would be awesome.

Here's my game log

Q

Edit: I reversed my change to RO_Physics.cfg and tested whether this resolved the issue. It did not. Unless anyone can see anything in my log, I suspect it may be FAR causing this.

Edited by Qwarkk

On 5/10/2020 at 2:55 PM, Nightside said:

As an alternative to RO? Or to use with RO?

Edit: Actually I just found one by Raiz Space:

(Note: Mods listed in order they would appear in GameData in alphabetical order. Given names are what you would search for.)
(Plugins that are bundled with other mods are not always listed)

ClickThroughBlocker
FilterExtensions
Textures Unlimited
Blizzy's Toolbar
USI Tools
ToolbarControl
Advanced Jet Engines
DECQ's ANGARA
Japanese Launch Vehicles + HTV
ASET Props
ATK Propulsion Pack
B9 Procedural Wings
B9 Part Switch
Community Category Kit
Community Resource Pack
Distant Object Enhancements
EDBMods
DECQ's Energia
Engine Group Controller
Environmental Visual Enhancements plugins
FASA
Ferram Aerospace Research
Firespitter (plugin)
Hangar Extender
Interstellar Fuel Switch
James Webb Space Telescope
RasterPropMonitor
Kerbalism
RO Kerbalism Configs
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement
Kerbal Konstructs
KK Antares
Kopernicus
kOS
KSCSwitcher
KSPWheel
KW Rocketry (select parts)
KK Launchers Pack
LackLusterLabs
MechJeb2
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModularLaunchPads
PersistentRotation
Procedural Fairings
Procedural Parts
RealChute
RealEnginesPack
RealFuels
RealHeat
Realism Overhaul
RealPlume
RealSolarSystem
RaiderNick's Cygnus
RaiderNick's Misc
RaiderNick's Salyut
RaiderNick's Skylab
RaiderNick's Soviet Probes
RaiderNick's Soviet Rockets
RaiderNick's Soviet Spacecraft
RaiderNick's US Probes
RaiderNick's US Rockets
RSSDateTime
RSS Textures
RSS Visual Enhancements
scatterer
SmokeScreen
SolverEngines
BobCat's Soviet Engine Pack
SuperPenguin's Rocket Pack
TweakScale
USI MKS
KSP Interstellar
Module Manager

For use with RO. There used to be a bigger list of compatible mods. 

Edited by Devinci

15 hours ago, Qwarkk said:

I asked in the MFI forum, but I now understand it is due to a mod using MFI. I know FAR lists MFI as a direct requirement, but i wanted to ask here first as these issues started around the time i edited RO_Physics.cfg for realism overhaul. That cfg was setting kerbal crew mass to 0.1. After a lot of testing, I found this was causing lots of parts in my save to have negative mass if they were attached to the root part. I removed that single line to resolve that issue, could it be the cause of this?

I see that reversing your physics change did not fix your other problem but the solution to the negative mass is to not include a Kerbal in your design/construction phase.  They default to on, just remove them.  Once you have your ship in order, you can put one in to assess life support needs and such.

Hope that helps.

HI guys,

first, wanted to thank you for the crazy work you did over the time, last RO-RSS install was on 1.3.1, now playing with a new set with Principia, Kerbalism and stuff on 1.8.1, this is crazy improvements! So thanks again to everyone.

My question was concerning the solar power degradation, i was willing to know more about how it works but i cannot manage to find any intel on the wiki talking about that, is there any link to know more? Or could anyone explain how it works? On some launches, it appears that i have solar wear over 70% right at the launch, would anyone could explain me what i'm doing wrong to provoke this?

I need some help, I have tried to install ro and rss on 1.6.1 when its release was new and also 1.8.1, in both of those installs I had problems firstly the SSTO engines were textureless they were very metallic and they didnt had their textures, also the rockets that I have bulit never were able to leave the pad, the launch clamps released and the rocket stayed put and did not move Can you help me fix that?I need some help, I have tried to install ro and rss on 1.6.1 when its release was new and also 1.8.1, in both of those installs I had problems firstly the SSTO engines were textureless they were very metallic and they didnt had their textures, also the rockets that I have bulit never were able to leave the pad, the launch clamps released and the rocket stayed put and did not move Can you help me fix that?

@Peershaul I assume that with SSTO you mean the Mod SSTULabs, SSTU support stopped way back in 1.3.1. Some SSTU parts have negative mass, that’s why you’re stuck at launch. Not recommend to install anymore. ROEngines and ROTanks may have some functions you’re looking for.

Also RO 1.6.1 isn’t supported anymore install 1.8.1. according to the guide: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/RO-&-RP-1-Installation-for-1.8.1

Edited by ValiZockt