[1.12] KSP-RO - Realism Overhaul [16 May 2022]

Theysen

2 hours ago, CoderPythonX said:

I recently installed RO and the recommended mods via CKAN from a fresh 1.2.2 install. The game loads up until the progress bar has RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/SSTU/SSTU_RO_SRB5/SSTU-RO-ENG-SRB5 at which it continues to be stuck there.

output_log.txt

That sounds like you've got a mod for 1.3. There have been some issues with CKAN installing 1.3 mods despite telling it you only want 1.2.2 mods, but I'm not sure how many of them are fixed.

Since you mentioned SSTU, did you get the 1.2.2. version? Last 1.2.2 compatible release is 0.5.34.134. It could be another mod too though.

17 hours ago, a_schack said:

I think the current master branch shouldn't break saves, but you'd best back up your save. Download as zip, and then extract the RealismOverhaul folder into your gamedata. You should remove the existing Realism Overhaul folder before that though.

Alternatively you can cherry pick the SSTU files.

I'm currently playing on the updated Master branch, and it's definately stable, but I started a new game for that, so I can't tell you from experience how it is with regards to breaking saves.

Turns out there are some save game implications. The RP-0 master branch under development uses an new tech tree, and the RO master branch utilizes it. Still going to try to make the switch, just gotta re-research everything.

9 hours ago, CoderPythonX said:

I recently installed RO and the recommended mods via CKAN from a fresh 1.2.2 install. The game loads up until the progress bar has RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/SSTU/SSTU_RO_SRB5/SSTU-RO-ENG-SRB5 at which it continues to be stuck there.

output_log.txt

GITHUB: ferram4/Ferram-Aerospace-Research
        LatestRelease: 0.1531
        AllowPreRelease: False
    VERSION: 0.15.9

downgrade to FAR 0.15.8  https://github.com/ferram4/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/releases

On 8/23/2017 at 10:27 AM, Bornholio said:

@FennexFox

Which leads me to more updates for 1.3 that RO marches toward.  (AJE, FAR and Principia) are now added to the 1.3 Available list

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A7gQkIiQKi0VtRecE6p86KCKuoawZPdzk7NlaxssRJ4/edit#gid=0

Getting Closer!

Bump.  I've been poking at that doc and marking things blue that seem to work and generally don't throw exceptions.  Have only done the barest testing, usually launching a basic craft with some of the features from a given mod attached, so haven't marked anything green.  Looks like just about all of the requirements for RO function in 1.3, and the ones I haven't poked at yet shouldn't be strictly necessary.

So if anyone out there has a 1.3-compiled variant that they would like the community to test...

Thank you Bornholio
I did manually downgrade FAR to no avail. I eventually removed the file named (with a backup of it), which caused it to just hang up on .../...SRB4 instead .../...SRB5. So I decided to backup and remove numbered SRBs.

The following is what I've noticed in KSP.log. These are just a few and the same messages repeat with all of the numbered SRBs.

[ERR 22:46:43.573] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'FASA/Apollo/FASA_Apollo_Str/Apollo_IU' as model does not exist

[ERR 22:46:43.573] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 22:46:43.574] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 22:46:43.574] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

[LOG 22:46:43.574] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/SSTU/SSTU_RO_MSRB_GEM/SSTU-RO-ENG-SRBD1'
[ERR 22:46:43.575] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'SSTU/Assets/EmptyProxyModel' as model does not exist

[ERR 22:46:43.575] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 22:46:43.575] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 22:46:43.576] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

[LOG 22:46:43.576] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/SSTU/SSTU_RO_MSRB_RSRM/SSTU-RO-ENG-SRBA'
[ERR 22:46:43.576] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'SSTU/Assets/EmptyProxyModel' as model does not exist

[ERR 22:46:43.577] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

Thanks, @DRVeyl for updating the "Golden" spreadsheet for 1.3 available mods RO needs.

41 minutes ago, CoderPythonX said:

Thank you Bornholio
I did manually downgrade FAR to no avail. I eventually removed the file named (with a backup of it), which caused it to just hang up on .../...SRB4 instead .../...SRB5. So I decided to backup and remove numbered SRBs.

The following is what I've noticed in KSP.log. These are just a few and the same messages repeat with all of the numbered SRBs.

I'll dig a bit more,  Make sure CKAN is set to not use 1.3 mods :P  Right now looks like FAR is the only one i can see that would install in error a 1.3 version

Try Connected Living Spaces...https://github.com/codepoetpbowden/ConnectedLivingSpace/releases

Looks like it maybe 1.2.4.2 is the correct version. If that doesn't do it, maybe Realchute 1.4.3 then CRP 0.6.6.0

try loading Master RO from github, a couple fixes are in that.  Plus if you do RP-0 that new tech tree is awesome work.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul Use the [Clone or Download] button on the right to grab the zip, pull the /Gamedata/RealismOverhaul/ and delete and replace (not overwrite) the existing one.

Edited by Bornholio
I only got one thing to say 1.3 version is too dang high

I tried making sure it wouldn't install 1.3 mods and then decided to try doing it manually. This originally didn't work, but I tried your suggestion to use it from GitHub, and it worked.

There was a caveat though as AJE wouldn't allow the Panther engine to be loaded as it said it couldn't find the resource Kerosene. I did have RealFuels installed. I removed AJE and it worked well though.

Aside from that, I did notice there were parts that started with "#autoLoc", although I assume that's just because it from the master branch and not a release. Thank you for the help so far.

20 hours ago, CoderPythonX said:

I tried making sure it wouldn't install 1.3 mods and then decided to try doing it manually. This originally didn't work, but I tried your suggestion to use it from GitHub, and it worked.

There was a caveat though as AJE wouldn't allow the Panther engine to be loaded as it said it couldn't find the resource Kerosene. I did have RealFuels installed. I removed AJE and it worked well though.

Aside from that, I did notice there were parts that started with "#autoLoc", although I assume that's just because it from the master branch and not a release. Thank you for the help so far.

I just did a CKAN install for Real Fuels dev testing and got a bunch of 1.3 versions incorrectly installed.  Not sure what is happening.  But you may want to manually install or just install a few at a time until it all adds up.

Hey guys, 

i have a question regarding the TAC LS converters: Why do they consume/produce less resources than what they are rated for?

For example all CO2 Scrubbers and the Carbon Bosch Reaktor: 

CO2consumption of converter / CO2production of Kerbal ---> 0.0058912100 / 0.00592 = 0.9951368243

Would it be unrealistic if I use this for a interplanetary mission?:

2x Carbon Bosch Reaktor -> 2x Water Purifier Large -> 2x Water Splitter Large (for 3 Kerbals - all parts 2x to get 1:1 consumption/production ratio)

So that I only have to pack Food for the whole trip, while the rest is self-sustaining. To my knowledge, this chain is realistic, but is the 1:1 ratio too?

There's also something in my calculations, what I don't understand. At the end of the chain I have more O2 & H2 than what was there in the beginning. 

Is this because of cell respiration producing more WasteWater than Water that was consumed?

Later today I will check, if the mass of the craft is rising or (hopefully) not. 

I can also create a spreadsheet of my calculations but i simply used the ratio-formula at the top of this post and rule of proportion. 

I hope i wrote this in a comprehensible way ^^

-edit

Okay, I tested it and the vehicle mass was rising. Until it started dumping CO2, because the tank was full. What should never happen with 2 Carbon Bosch Reactors for 3 Kerbals while H2 and electricity is there. All of my calculations were somehow off.. Is this a timewarp problem? 

Edited by J-2 Lover
added a word + paragraph

On 9/2/2017 at 3:59 PM, Kitspace said:

Are there any dependancy mods that are still waiting for an update for the game version 1.3?

Yes mainly Real Heat (has a dev test .dll),  and Real Solar System (has much new work and optimizations, has test .dll), DRE has Beta version (does seem to work fine).

Test Flight is a big one for RP-0 to come forward, Persistent Rotation and PF-FE need work and then RO itself needs a build (and has lots of dev work in channel).  RCS build aid needs a 1.3 build

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A7gQkIiQKi0VtRecE6p86KCKuoawZPdzk7NlaxssRJ4/edit#gid=0

RP-0 has a few more above and beyond that plus it  has lots of dev work in channel. Critically for that KCT needs a build and has a fork in RO for @NathanKell's awesome work.

Real Fuels needs a test .dll for the development and Starwaster has a much improved insulation system in the works.

Taerobee and Kerbal Renamer both need builds (haven't looked into what state they are in).

for Misc Items RSSVE has a test branch for 1.3 (Needed to install scatterer .320b manually since CKAN didn't install the config folder).  KSC switcher will need a build and Engine Lighting and Planet Shine may need builds

Edited by Bornholio

17 hours ago, Bornholio said:

Yes mainly Real Heat (has a dev test .dll),  and Real Solar System (has much new work and optimizations, has test .dll), DRE has Beta version (does seem to work fine).

Test Flight is a big one for RP-0 to come forward, Persistent Rotation and PF-FE need work and then RO itself needs a build (and has lots of dev work in channel).  RCS build aid needs a 1.3 build

RP-0 has a few more above and beyond that plus it  has lots of dev work in channel. Critically for that KCT needs a build and has a fork in RO for @NathanKell's awesome work.

Real Fuels needs a test .dll for the development and Starwaster has a much improved insulation system in the works.

Taerobee and Kerbal Renamer both need builds (haven't looked into what state they are in).

for Misc Items RSSVE has a test branch for 1.3 which I have run but need to figure out how to get rid of the weird sky colors on earth.  KSC switcher will need a build and Engine Lighting and Planet Shine may need builds

Damn! That is... quite a list! For now, I'm good to go at starting RO/RSS in 1.2.2 for the very first time! :D

I have a problem with modding within RO. This is not exactly a bug, so I am not posting a log, but if required I can do it.

The objective: I want to change some characteristics of some parts.

The method: I created a very simple script, named "testparts.cfg" inside this directory: C:\KSP\GameData\Test

The script for testing...

@PART[roverBody]

{

@mass = 2.0

}

The problem: It Works on a clean install of KSP 1.2.2, but it doesn´t Works on KSP 1.2.2 with Realism Overhaul and all dependency mods installed. Any clues?

Notes:

By "it Works", I mean: I go to the VAB and the mass of the roverBody part has changed to 2.0t

I tried to change it to this (see below) but still didn´t work.

@PART[roverBody]:Final

{

@mass = 2.0

}

Edited by Jaeleth
typing error

Hi @Jaeleth,

RO remove or rescale all stock parts in order to set them to a real scale.
So the roverBody part has its mass changed by RO after MM apply your patches.
You can see the RO's patch here : https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/4c30ed8b074fb52720fd17b5b01f84320d80f352/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/Squad/RO_Squad_Utility.cfg#L479-L488

You should probably test your patch with :

@PART[roverBody]:AFTER[RealismOverhaul]

But, I don't know the purpose of your mod, but think that you do not want to modify parts that are patched by RO in order to set them to a real scale.
The only I see for you to patch parts after RO is to add new modules you would provide in you mode, and it should work without the AFTER[RealismOverhaul] as RO won't touch the properties of your modules you added to the parts.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/4c30ed8b074fb52720fd17b5b01f84320d80f352/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/Squad/RO_Squad_Utility.cfg#L479-L488
https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/4c30ed8b074fb52720fd17b5b01f84320d80f352/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/Squad/RO_Squad_Utility.cfg#L479-L488
Edited by hargn

4 minutes ago, hargn said:

But, I don't know the purpose of your mod, but think that you do not want to modify parts that are patched by RO, unless for new modules you would provide.

@hargn Thanks for the tip, I´ll check it.

This script was only an example I was testing, that was easy to see. The real purpose of the mod is to customize the maxPressure of some parts in order to make it more realistic and to be able to land on Venus without turning off pressure checks at game start. I will create the variable maxPressure = 12000, increase weight (plating), increase cost, and general ruggedness (resistance to crash), of some parts, basically those used in rover building, for the time being.

On ‎06‎-‎09‎-‎2017 at 11:44 AM, Phineas Freak said:

@Jaeleth I posted a temporary patch for that:

@Phineas Freak

Kool :), I´m gonna check it out right away.

Less work to do, to land on Venus, eheh. But these days weren´t wasted time, made me learn a few things about patching :)

Update: It worked perfectly, thanks! 

Edited by Jaeleth
update

Just an idea about it,

It could be great to have a tech for "reinforced" parts in RO/RP-0, that could be in the construction branch of the techtree.
Once unlocked, some stuff (I think to procedural parts) have a switch that, when on, reinforce the part to make them resistant to heavy pressure that can be encountered at the surface of Venus or in the deep atmosphere of gaz/ice giants.

Then we have a step to towards to be able to explore these area.

Edited by hargn

1 hour ago, hargn said:

Just an idea about it,

It could be great to have a tech for "reinforced" parts in RO/RP-0, that could be in the construction branch of the techtree.
Once unlocked, some stuff (I think to procedural parts) have a switch that, when on, reinforce the part to make them resistant to heavy pressure that can be encountered at the surface of Venus or in the deep atmosphere of gaz/ice giants.

Then we have a step to reach before to be able to explore these area.

Yes. That would be nice... I guess the most elegant way to do this would be to have a certain "tech" level pegged to each part, raising tech level would increase maxPressure / ruggedness.... good attributes, maintaining the mass. This would emulate new materials research. But I think this might be a problem to implement since the techtree is focused on specific branches / parts and not global, somewhat abstract, variables (materials tech level), also, it would probably be difficult to "control" under RO, particularly with RP-0... :P 

Another way would be to use "existing" tech and just add more "armor"... (thus increasing mass, cost...) In this case the ideal way would be to have a small customize part menu, accessed by right click, after the part is placed on a craft, in the VAB. Perhaps a small box where one could insert an "armor factor" and then that figure would modify all parameters (mass, cost, crash resistance....) accordingly.

Edited by Jaeleth
typo

So... I followed the instructions for the manual install (fresh KSP 1.2.2 install, all mods up to date) and... I dont have a single command pod available in the VAB/SPH. I've installed dozens upon dozens of mods in the past so I'm not exactly new to the mod scene. EVERYTHING seems to be working fine. RSS is up, Scaterrer and RSSVE, all part mods... just this weird thing with no command pods available at all. Not sure what I've done wrong..  Here's the scene in the VAB:

21414983_10155847215772450_4006663836659

Its a Science mod game. 

Thanks!

EDIT: It seems that what is happening is that the stock parts are not being loaded in. Is this supposed to happen???

Logs:
output_log.txt

Edited by Calvin_Maclure

1 hour ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

<snip snip>

This has happened to me in the past when I've accidentally deleted the Squad folder out of GameData.... did that happen somehow?

If you're using steam, you can right click on KSP, click properties, click local files, then click verify integrity of game files to re-install the Squad folder, if that's the problem. Unless you've moved the installation (never installed RO myself so I don't know exactly the process you went through).