Theysen

[1.7.3] Realism Overhaul v12.7.4 [23 November 2019]

Recommended Posts

PSA:

 

Links to the dependancies and recommended / suggested mods in the OP now reference their correct destination on either github or spacedock to install into 1.2.2. This is handy for manual installs to get RealismOverhaul working as of right now unfortunately - CKAN is again installing an incorrect mod into 1.2.2 which makes the game load forever and thus renders incompatible. 

 

If you now follow those links in the OP while installing manually you can be assured that this makes the "minimum" requirements for RealismOverhaul to be correct and working as intended. 

I won't do this for part mods since those usually don't break the entire game and most likely will work with the version you will install.

 

This was just a step necessary to ensure 1.2.2 compatability and will most likely be updated once 1.3 drops so people have a place to go to for quick manual install without needing to google / github search every mod for themselves. 

(if you encounter any wrong link, let me know - I edited them while I was installing yesterday and the RO install works so far like it should)

 

If you also encounter the mod which breaks CKAN installs at the moment I'd be happy to be notified about it so we can look for a fix. 

 

So long - happy playing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Theysen At least two, Custom Barn Kit and MagiCore (specifically for RP-0), have their KSP 1.2.2 releases overriden by the KSP 1.3 ones. Everything else seems fine at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Theysen At least two, Custom Barn Kit and MagiCore (specifically for RP-0), have their KSP 1.2.2 releases overriden by the KSP 1.3 ones. Everything else seems fine at the moment.

I - just - clicked the sole bare minimum for RO in CKAN and it ran forever in loading screen. I shall retest it. 

Anyways I think the direct linking to a confirmed working mod is a little QoL improvement and doesn't hurt anyways :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi. I bumped into a bug in RO... Has anyone ever suffered a weird increasing and destructive wobbling while still on launch platform?
It appears to happen only when I add RSRMV's... The funny thing is that I used the very same launcher before and this never
happened... The funnier thing is that if I load a previously working launcher with payload, nothing happens, but if I go back
to assembly, remove the payload, and put just the launcher on the launchpad... It wobbles and breaks... 
(Note: This is not the typical "wobble during flight due to poor construction", the very same rocket launched several times
before straight and stable as a candle...)
 
See sequence of pics enclosed to see what I mean...
 
 
Note: Sometimes before, when separating first stage (I´m not counting the solid fuel boosters) the jettisonned (1st) stage started rotating and wobbling increasingly. I never payed much attention to that since the stage was useless at that point, on its falling trajectory into the atlantic)
 
Edited by Jaeleth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like RealHeat has yet to update, and since RH is a prerequisite of RO, Theysen may be unable to move until RH updates.  RealHeat is listed as being in the domain of stratochief66 on GitHub, and it looks like he has not been on the forum since July 2: not a good sign.

Edited by cgwhite4
adjusted for consistency

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

Jokes about climate change aside, I understand that people are bored with the whole "Flood at KSC" posts, does anyone recognise this problem and know how to fix it... Here is one example of what goes wrong...

https://imgur.com/a/MGa9b

I am running KSP 1.2.2 with RO and RSS and principia. Its not a show-stopper, the game doesn't crash, and it only happens 50% of the time, but its kinda annoying. Sometimes if I go into the tracking center and come back out it fixes it, sometimes it creates it. This is one version of the bug, at other times it seems the buildings dip below the ground. The most annoying thing about it is that I can't easily click on the buildings to enter them, I have to track around with the mouse and "find" the active spot, which is not always where it should be...

I changed sites to the one on the north coast of south america to enable equatorial launches...

Many thanks :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lyttol said:

Hi there,

Jokes about climate change aside, I understand that people are bored with the whole "Flood at KSC" posts, does anyone recognise this problem and know how to fix it... Here is one example of what goes wrong...

https://imgur.com/a/MGa9b

I am running KSP 1.2.2 with RO and RSS and principia. Its not a show-stopper, the game doesn't crash, and it only happens 50% of the time, but its kinda annoying. Sometimes if I go into the tracking center and come back out it fixes it, sometimes it creates it. This is one version of the bug, at other times it seems the buildings dip below the ground. The most annoying thing about it is that I can't easily click on the buildings to enter them, I have to track around with the mouse and "find" the active spot, which is not always where it should be...

I changed sites to the one on the north coast of south america to enable equatorial launches...

Many thanks :)

 

Simple scene change from VAB to KSC or the other way round fixes it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a (for me) a career breaking bug with RO on KSP 1.2.2: both KER and MJ don't display delta-v correctly. KER has completely wrong values while MJ ones are correct, but it doesn't show the delta-v  added stage by stage and sometimes it misses whole parts especially if staging is complex. 

Is there a fix for KER? I really can't play without it,  there's no fun in losing precision :(  The version i use is the 1.1.2.8

Edit: It seems that KER goes crazy when the rocket has a manned pod. I had this rocket I built for a manned moon flyby, KER and MJ were giving completely different values so I took the pod off, placed a probe core and KER and MJ shown the same values with just 1 delta-v difference.  

Edit2: I've found a workaround: placing a procedural avionic part as 1st part of the rocket and then the pod solves the issue.

Edited by Epox75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:03 PM, cgwhite4 said:

It looks like RealHeat has yet to update, and since RH is a prerequisite of RO, Theysen may be unable to move until RH updates.  RealHeat is listed as being in the domain of stratochief66 on GitHub, and it looks like he has not been on the forum since July 2: not a good sign.

Link to the RH 1.3 Test DLL is in the GitHub PR:  https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealHeat/pull/4

PhineasFreak was nice enough to supply the compiled dll [unofficial, for 1.3 testing purposes only!], also linked from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is good news from a RealHeat point of view, but because it is a test version only, Theysen may not be able to rely on it.  If stratochief66 and PhineasFreak make changes for the official version, it could render it incompatible with a version of RO that Theysen might construct relying on the test version of RealHeat, and he'd have to make another update to fix it.  With RSS having RO as a prerequisite, that could cause a chain reaction that could impact a lot of mods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cgwhite4

no worries, as of right now the RO suite and its collaborators all brought up their community effort and helped out where they could when things needed little fixes, a recompile (for example - PhineasFreak also provided a Realheat.dll last time which then was just taken by Stratochief and got released officially. This will most likely be the case again). 

With the big RO environment you don't need to take the names behind every mod release for the owner, it often appears that a collaborator who has a free minute and release rights on GitHub takes care of such a thing when no objections or reported bugs remain. During those times NathanKell took his well deserved time out from KSP and stratochief was very involved with others and maintained lots of the Pull Reauests and dependency releases. Now he is taking some time off and others take over again some of the work :) it's really like a big family you have to think off. 

And as much as I also submitted things to RO i am also "only" the OP maintainer when there was need for a new one during the forum crash - I don't collect the official release myself but wait on the "big bosses" to pull everything together and make a new release :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Err so I just sent out a mission to make a mining facility on the moon so then I could easily get to the rest of the solar system and I come to realize there is no way to get any kind of propellant for attitude RCS  that works with RO, doesn't that seem like a gap, I can understand some of it but Helium should be somewhat available on the moon and with some cemetery it should be possible to make some of the others although Nitrogen would likely be out, is this just an oversight or done on propose?

Reason why I want RCS is so that my miner and tank can get around on fuel that doesn't evaporate also so I don't have to send them care packages of RCS prop for attitude control, the idea was to have probe controlled miners that could mine the required materials for there flight without kerbal intervention and refuel a space station with a lot of cooling for the LOX fuel, although it doesn't seem to be as effective to cool tanks as it used to be to stop leakage.

Edit: Actually I was just looking at it and the procedual tanks cryo balloons and Cryo tanks leak more than the regular balloons's tank by 3x 600 vs 200 leakage in the same sized tank at the same time acceleration lasting 3 weeks vs 1 week... this seems wrong...

Edit 2; did a fresh install a Cryo and Cryro balloon Tank only performs a day better than a balloon tank not worth the mass is that's your only improvement and this tank is performing worse than the last one. Got an imprvment from using a highly pressurised tank which I suppose would higher it's boiling point but cooling with radiators seem to have no effect like it used to.

Edited by etheoma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@etheoma

did you orient the craft so the sun's heat hits only the smallest area possible of the tank? Orientation and exposed area plays a factor with boiloff. Also you could Starwaster's HeatPump mod which aids with conserving the fuels. 

Otherwise a complete mod list and logs would help as usual, too. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Theysen said:

@etheoma

did you orient the craft so the sun's heat hits only the smallest area possible of the tank? Orientation and exposed area plays a factor with boiloff. Also you could Starwaster's HeatPump mod which aids with conserving the fuels. 

Otherwise a complete mod list and logs would help as usual, too. 

Everying that comes with RO + all suggested mods apart for a few pure parts mods that wouldn't effect this + Hyper Edit for fast testing, but as I said rads are having no effect so I don't think the temperature is being factored or the rads are broken plus I don't know how to get logs.

Ok this is REALLY wired I start to boil off more LH2 when I am behind the planet, what is that about?

Edit; When I reload the craft it seems to actually do what it's supposed to do and evaporate more when it's in the sunlight.

Seems like I am having the problem mentioned in heatpumps mod page moving greater than 100x seems to **** up the heating model because if I only move at 100x I lose 0.6 to 1.6 every 100 game seconds which 10x that would be 6 - 16 instead it goes 80 - 110 so I go from storing it for months to 7 days

Edited by etheoma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/9/2017 at 10:59 AM, Jaeleth said:
Hi. I bumped into a bug in RO... Has anyone ever suffered a weird increasing and destructive wobbling while still on launch platform?
It appears to happen only when I add RSRMV's... The funny thing is that I used the very same launcher before and this never
happened... The funnier thing is that if I load a previously working launcher with payload, nothing happens, but if I go back
to assembly, remove the payload, and put just the launcher on the launchpad... It wobbles and breaks... 
(Note: This is not the typical "wobble during flight due to poor construction", the very same rocket launched several times
before straight and stable as a candle...)
 
See sequence of pics enclosed to see what I mean...
 
 
Note: Sometimes before, when separating first stage (I´m not counting the solid fuel boosters) the jettisonned (1st) stage started rotating and wobbling increasingly. I never payed much attention to that since the stage was useless at that point, on its falling trajectory into the atlantic)
 

@JaelethI had the increasing & destructive wobbling effect with clipped Docking Ports and Infernal Robotic's Docking Washers - any chance you have any of these in your rocket?

6 hours ago, etheoma said:

Err so I just sent out a mission to make a mining facility on the moon so then I could easily get to the rest of the solar system and I come to realize there is no way to get any kind of propellant for attitude RCS  that works with RO, doesn't that seem like a gap, I can understand some of it but Helium should be somewhat available on the moon and with some cemetery it should be possible to make some of the others although Nitrogen would likely be out, is this just an oversight or done on propose?

Reason why I want RCS is so that my miner and tank can get around on fuel that doesn't evaporate also so I don't have to send them care packages of RCS prop for attitude control, the idea was to have probe controlled miners that could mine the required materials for there flight without kerbal intervention and refuel a space station with a lot of cooling for the LOX fuel, although it doesn't seem to be as effective to cool tanks as it used to be to stop leakage.

Edit: Actually I was just looking at it and the procedual tanks cryo balloons and Cryo tanks leak more than the regular balloons's tank by 3x 600 vs 200 leakage in the same sized tank at the same time acceleration lasting 3 weeks vs 1 week... this seems wrong...

Edit 2; did a fresh install a Cryo and Cryro balloon Tank only performs a day better than a balloon tank not worth the mass is that's your only improvement and this tank is performing worse than the last one. Got an imprvment from using a highly pressurised tank which I suppose would higher it's boiling point but cooling with radiators seem to have no effect like it used to.

@etheomaI believe these were future plans for the RealISRU mod, but sadly it was never taken up to completion. The current mod is usable if you tweak a few configs (I have provided a few tweaks to the drills & licquefaction arrays at github) but I think the HTP-producing reactions are not included in current configs.

You could take-up on the task of adding these configs using the following reactions (quoted on the RealISRU OP):

  • Anthraquinone Process: H2 + O2 → H2O2
  • HTP-Hydrazine Production: 2 H2O2 + 4 C2H5COCH3 + 4 NH3 → 4 H2O + 4 C2H5COCH3 + 2 N2H4
  • HTP Decomposition: 2 H2O2 → 2 H2O + O2

I have always dreamed with closed-cycle colonization in Realism Overhaul and I feel this is the missing leg to the awesome RO suite we all know and love. My dream is to arrive at a given world, mine it, live and construct there, only to follow on to the next planet! Sadly, I do not have the skillset to give completeness to RealISRU but boy oh boy do I dream of someone who might be up to the task.

Cheers

Edited by hypervelocity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm back trying to get into RO, and my game keeps crashing while loading. Where do I submit my crash log and how do I do do that? Or do I just copy and paste something here?
Thanks. 

Fire

Edited by Firemetal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Firemetal said:

I'm back trying to get into RO, and my game keeps crashing while loading. Where do I submit my crash log and how do I do do that? Or do I just copy and paste something here?
Thanks. 

Fire

Hi @Firemetal,

You can drop it into your google drive or dropbox account and share us the link, or you can use a service like pastebin to drop your log (on pastebin you'll need an account cause it cannot handle big sized logs).
Be sure that your logs contains your mod lists.

And if you can give us more details when/how your game crashs, it can also help us. For example, at what moment of loading it crashs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

I'm an experienced player and have done some edits to parts in the past but I'm very new to RO

My goal is to get a decent Super Draco engine working with an RO config.

I see the SuperDraco_Config.cfg RO file, and the only mod I know of with a Super Draco part is the Kerbal Reusability Expansion Pack.

Was this RO config created with a different mod in mind that will work with KSP 1.2.2?  If so what is it? (if you tell me RO effectively updates Laztek's old mod I'll be estatic!!!)

Or should I add some code to the Kerbal Reusability Expansion Pack's Super Draco part file (probably engineType = SuperDraco?) so it picks up the RO config?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmyers831 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm an experienced player and have done some edits to parts in the past but I'm very new to RO

My goal is to get a decent Super Draco engine working with an RO config.

I see the SuperDraco_Config.cfg RO file, and the only mod I know of with a Super Draco part is the Kerbal Reusability Expansion Pack.

Was this RO config created with a different mod in mind that will work with KSP 1.2.2?  If so what is it? (if you tell me RO effectively updates Laztek's old mod I'll be estatic!!!)

Or should I add some code to the Kerbal Reusability Expansion Pack's Super Draco part file (probably engineType = SuperDraco?) so it picks up the RO config?

Thanks!

Niche Parts and Forgotten Real Engines (iirc) and Real Engines deliver a Super Draco :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Theysen said:

Niche Parts and Forgotten Real Engines (iirc) and Real Engines deliver a Super Draco :) 

Thanks Theysen.  Looks like Niche doesn't support 1.2.2 yet and Forgotten Real Engines didn't have them but did get a suitable set from Real Engines.  Now for a capsule with a cowling I can put these in.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bmyers831 said:

Thanks Theysen.  Looks like Niche doesn't support 1.2.2 yet and Forgotten Real Engines didn't have them but did get a suitable set from Real Engines.  Now for a capsule with a cowling I can put these in.... 

Niche parts work just fine! They’re part mods from 1.1.3 and still work flawlessly :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.