Smallest Relay Antenna not working?

So basically, on my mission is two probes that are connected to a separator. After it separated, I expected the smallest relay antenna (forgot the name) to relay the signal to the separated probe with a Communitron 16, but the probe is not getting a signal, even though the main one is. At the time of me writing this, they are both 300 metres away. I thought the separator was blocking the signal, so I destroyed it with Whack a Kerbal, but that didn't help. Anyone know whats going on?

13 minutes ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

So basically, on my mission is two probes that are connected to a separator. After it separated, I expected the smallest relay antenna (forgot the name) to relay the signal to the separated probe with a Communitron 16, but the probe is not getting a signal, even though the main one is. At the time of me writing this, they are both 300 metres away. I thought the separator was blocking the signal, so I destroyed it with Whack a Kerbal, but that didn't help. Anyone know whats going on?

the Communitron 16 Is not a relay. its a data transmitter and a signal RECEIVER. meant to receive control from a relay/KSC. and its surface/flatmount counterpart is also a RECEIVER. and double check your power. the small relay DISH is a power hungry little beast.

Edited by /not/pol/

Just now, /not/pol/ said:

the Communitron 16 Is not a relay. its a data transmitter and a signal RECEIVER. meant to receive control from a relay/KSC.

Yes, but it's not receiving a signal from the small relay. When I said " to relay the signal to the separated probe with a Communitron 16 ", I meant the separated probe HAD that.

Just now, SmashingKirby148 said:

Yes, but it's not receiving a signal from the small relay. When I said " to relay the signal to the separated probe with a Communitron 16 ", I meant the separated probe HAD that.

refering to Eddiew. are they extended? also i edited my post a second ago, reread it/

better question. is the other probe Connected/controllable? and is your smaller one good on power.

The main probe is controllable and good on power. The smaller one has no signal, but I have "require signal for control" off, so I can still full throttle, cut throttle, and use the navball markers. And it is good on power.

The main probe is controllable and good on power. The smaller one has no signal, but I have "require signal for control" off, so I can still full throttle, cut throttle, and use the navball markers. And it is good on power.

hm. have you jettisoned the smaller unconnected probe or no.

3 minutes ago, /not/pol/ said:

hm. have you jettisoned the smaller unconnected probe or no.

Jettisoned? That's the problem. It's disconnected from the main one, and they are two separate ones now, but the signal won't relay from the one that is getting a signal from Kerbin to the one that needs a connection.

Jettisoned? That's the problem. It's disconnected from the main one, and they are two separate ones now, but the signal won't relay from the one that is getting a signal from Kerbin to the one that needs a connection.

i mean is the smaller one connected to a rocket upperstage or SSTO/However you got it to orbit/beyond.

i mean is the smaller one connected to a rocket upperstage or SSTO/However you got it to orbit/beyond.

The two probes were connected together. They were carried by an Upper Stage. The upper stage got into orbit around the designated body. The small probe jettisoned off, leaving the bigger probe still connected to the Upper Stage. The smaller probe is just itself, with no other stages except it's engine ignite.

The two probes were connected together. They were carried by an Upper Stage. The upper stage got into orbit around the designated body. The small probe jettisoned off, leaving the bigger probe still connected to the Upper Stage. The smaller probe is just itself, with no other stages except it's engine ignite.

wait so your SMALLER probe without control is out free and the larger one with connection is on the upperstage?

1 minute ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Yes, and the small one has a Communitron 16, which should pick up the signal from the bigger probe with the Small Relay. They are only 300m apart.

Ooh. ok then, check for a situational modifier? also could you post a screencap.

Situational modifier? What is that?

In certain situations, say reentry unless its disabled antennas can do progressively worse or not work at all. so if you are in the upper atmosphere but don't realize it, then... rip probes and also shortrange antennas.

2 minutes ago, /not/pol/ said:

In certain situations, say reentry unless its disabled antennas can do progressively worse or not work at all. so if you are in the upper atmosphere but don't realize it, then... rip probes and also shortrange antennas.

Oh right, well I'm not around an atmospheric body. :P

3 minutes ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

0pt2okw.png

Yes, it's actually a replay of a recording because It's going up on Youtube when it's finished and right now I'm playing Planetary Annihilation and can't be bothered to launch KSP again. xD

that does not look like duna.... anyways. i dont see any batteries on the lander..or a probe core... where does it get power from and does it have a solar panel.

EDIT Nvm im blind. 200 EC..

So, the larger probe has connection to the KSC? how good is the connection.

Edited by /not/pol/

that does not look like duna.... anyways. i dont see any batteries on the lander..or a probe core... where does it get power from and does it have a solar panel.

I have my mod installed which moves Minmus around Duna, so I'm exploring the whole system. The batteries and probe core are buried in the centre, and I forgot solar panels cause I'm stupid. xD But it should last to at least get down to Minmus.

6 minutes ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

I have my mod installed which moves Minmus around Duna, so I'm exploring the whole system. The batteries and probe core are buried in the centre, and I forgot solar panels cause I'm stupid. xD But it should last to at least get down to Minmus.

Craft file and modlist? maybe? Scratch that i'l just recreate the basic scenario.

Edited by /not/pol/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.