Smallest Relay Antenna not working?

So, just to summarize:

• You have two craft, A and B.  Both have power, probe cores, etc. and have nothing other than comms that would stop either one from being completely controllable.
  • They're both in vacuum, just a few hundred meters apart.
  • Craft A has an HG-5 relay antenna, extended.
  • Craft B has a Communotron 16 antenna, extended.
  • Craft A has a control signal back to KSC, and is fully controllable.
  • Craft B doesn't have a signal.

Correct?

In that case, this sounds like a bug of some sort, unless you've got some sort of wildcard here (like a buggy mod or something).  That is supposed to work.

Moving this over to tech support, since it's a case of "why is the game not working as designed" rather than "how do I play the game."  As far as I can see, you're doing everything right; it's the game that's not holding up its end of the bargain.

25 minutes ago, Snark said:

So, just to summarize:

• You have two craft, A and B.  Both have power, probe cores, etc. and have nothing other than comms that would stop either one from being completely controllable.
  • They're both in vacuum, just a few hundred meters apart.
  • Craft A has an HG-5 relay antenna, extended.
  • Craft B has a Communotron 16 antenna, extended.
  • Craft A has a control signal back to KSC, and is fully controllable.
  • Craft B doesn't have a signal.

Correct?

In that case, this sounds like a bug of some sort, unless you've got some sort of wildcard here (like a buggy mod or something).  That is supposed to work.

Moving this over to tech support, since it's a case of "why is the game not working as designed" rather than "how do I play the game."  As far as I can see, you're doing everything right; it's the game that's not holding up its end of the bargain.

I have your AntennaSleep mod installed, but I assume that can't be the reason, as it's fully updated. I have no real other antenna mods installed.

1 minute ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

I have your AntennaSleep mod installed, but I assume that can't be the reason, as it's fully updated. I have no real other antenna mods installed.

And in any case, AntennaSleep doesn't affect transmittability of an antenna.  All it does is fire events to extend/retract.  If the antenna's extended, it's extended.  Shouldn't matter here.

Anything interesting in the log file?

3 minutes ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Wherabouts is that?

You can see it in the alt+F12 debug window in-game.  Or, outside the game, there's a ksp.log file sitting in the main KSP directory.

Would be interesting to see if anything in there is yelling (e.g. logging errors, warnings, or anything else that looks relevant to your situation).

"Check the log" is always a good knee-jerk reaction when you observe the game doing something weird or unexpected.  It won't always find the culprit, but it often helps to point the Finger Of Blame™ fairly efficiently.  It's the first thing to try.  Kind of like when your mom calls you to say "my computer isn't working", the first thing you ask is "Is it plugged in?"  :)

38 minutes ago, Snark said:

Thanks Snark for doing this, because i encountered similar problems recently. But both times i was able to find a workaround to finish my mission, thats why i havent posted the issues before.

Setup: I ve played 1000h+ in Ver. 1.0.X, recently i ve reinstalled my windows, so both cases happened with a fresh installed 1.2.X and a fresh started Career. Only Mods: KER and Chatterer. Dont think there are causing the problem but nothing is impossible (not even Kerbol SOI is the limit hihi)

Case 1:

Manned Kerbaled Vessel, Pod and Lab etc. with an attched landingprobe /w science in Duna orbit. A CommSat was also in Dunas orbit but behind the planet that time. Kerbaled Vessel had a relay antenna and connection to Kerbin, the CommSat not.

After detaching the probe which had only normal/nonrelay antennas with "short" range i had no controll over it. Kerbaled Vessel was only 100m away and wasnt relaying but was shown a connection to Kerbin. I just waited for my CommSat having connection again. That One made the connection, i landed the probe and got my SP.

Case2:

Kerbaled Minmuslander, a service bay at bottom, inside a sciencerover to fetch data from surounding biomes. Landing stage had a relay antenna attached, the returncapsule a normal dish, the rover just a communutron 16. Some Commsats in range, didnt pay intension.

Detached the rover, visit nearby biomes, collect data, returned, scientist took the data and boarded.

Returned to Kerbin with the upper Capsule and left the landingstage behind. That had a probecore, battery and solar, also a relay antenna (extended :wink: ). Mission accomplished, no probs till now.

But a rover like that may be usefull in the future for contracts like "survey near (landingsite)...".

I quit playing that day. I started the game again.

Switched to the rover and had no controll. Landingvessel was 20m away. It had full EC, solar, core, relay antenna and connection to Kerbin (direct)

3+ CommSat in Range (sightline) but no con. Nessesary to point that all CommSat hat con. to Kerbin?

I now know that i cant steer the rover and will not accept any surveymissions. So no realproblem here.

Regards

10 minutes ago, Draalo said:

Thanks Snark for doing this, because i encountered similar problems recently. But both times i was able to find a workaround to finish my mission, thats why i havent posted the issues before.

Setup: I ve played 1000h+ in Ver. 1.0.X, recently i ve reinstalled my windows, so both cases happened with a fresh installed 1.2.X and a fresh started Career. Only Mods: KER and Chatterer. Dont think there are causing the problem but nothing is impossible (not even Kerbol SOI is the limit hihi)

Case 1:

Manned Kerbaled Vessel, Pod and Lab etc. with an attched landingprobe /w science in Duna orbit. A CommSat was also in Dunas orbit but behind the planet that time. Kerbaled Vessel had a relay antenna and connection to Kerbin, the CommSat not.

After detaching the probe which had only normal/nonrelay antennas with "short" range i had no controll over it. Kerbaled Vessel was only 100m away and wasnt relaying but was shown a connection to Kerbin. I just waited for my CommSat having connection again. That One made the connection, i landed the probe and got my SP.

Case2:

Kerbaled Minmuslander, a service bay at bottom, inside a sciencerover to fetch data from surounding biomes. Landing stage had a relay antenna attached, the returncapsule a normal dish, the rover just a communutron 16. Some Commsats in range, didnt pay intension.

Detached the rover, visit nearby biomes, collect data, returned, scientist took the data and boarded.

Returned to Kerbin with the upper Capsule and left the landingstage behind. That had a probecore, battery and solar, also a relay antenna (extended :wink: ). Mission accomplished, no probs till now.

But a rover like that may be usefull in the future for contracts like "survey near (landingsite)...".

I quit playing that day. I started the game again.

Switched to the rover and had no controll. Landingvessel was 20m away. It had full EC, solar, core, relay antenna and connection to Kerbin (direct)

3+ CommSat in Range (sightline) but no con. Nessesary to point that all CommSat hat con. to Kerbin?

I now know that i cant steer the rover and will not accept any surveymissions. So no realproblem here.

Regards

Oh, so I guess it is just a bug... annoying, but I guess I'll have to temporarily turn off CommNet. Thanks, everyone! 

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.