[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

10 minutes ago, AstroValou said:

A lot... The problem was with graphics mods like scaterer and EVE, there were some conflicts but it's done, now all the mods i wanted are installed and working perfectly

Glad you have it sorted, then :) 

[rem]

Just noticed this is an issue on some of the planets. Anyone know what's casing this? Looks like stretched textures, but the tiling looks alright... Investigating more.

Edited by Gameslinx

7 minutes ago, PixelStory2 said:

I thought me having low graphic settings was the problem with stretched textures... :/ Also, is this planet replacing kerbin?

The issue sounds like it's Texture tiling on the planets, and I'm experimenting with that to try and correct it.

This planet WILL be replacing kerbin but ONLY as an optional feature. If you don't want it, don't install it. It will be labelled under a folder 'Optional Mods'

Sorry to tag you again @Galileo.

(Subject changed since I fixed the last one!)

I'd like to change the PQS levels for this planet, but as it uses the name 'Kerbin' then cbNameLater = Gaia, making a change in the config doesn't seem to make any change in game.

PQS
{
	minLevel = 2
	maxLevel = 6
	Mods
	{
		[Other Code]
	}
}

In Kittopia ingame, it says the maxLevel is 10. That causes the pixellation in the terrain and... yeah...

EDIT: Fixed the issue. Turns out Kerbin was being used as shadow casters in EVE, and the citylights.

Hey everyone! This is the new starter planet. In the next release, I'm going to bundle it with the main mod, but in a separate folder. With this there might be some incompatibility issues with EVE and Scatterer, so bear with me when this goes live. Either way, the new starter planet, Gaia, looks similar to Kerbin - it has the same colour scheme, but I think it's a nice change of scenery, especially with a planet pack.

3imbeFG.png

PeerGdb.pngz0xZyTY.png

Edited by Gameslinx

On 05/04/2017 at 9:22 PM, Shaddow Phönix said:

Why do you not put Kerbin or the new KSC planet into the orbit of Flak (between the rings).

I think Kerbin/the new KSC as a moon between the  rings of Flak would look brilliant.

Flak has no rings - you mean Thelai, the brown-ringed planet?

That's an option if it wasn't so far away. Then again, I could move Gaia (new kerbin) around Olu'um and put Volux in kerbin's place? The planet pack could be set a few billion years after Stock KSP?

I'm just speculating - the new planet won't be in the Kerbin zone, I'd love it to be elsewhere.

edit from August 1st: it's exactly where kerbin is lol

Edited by Gameslinx

Hey guys! I'm urgently needing some science definitions for the next update - especially for Gaia.

If some people could write a couple that would be absolutely amazing. Here's the link - scroll to the bottom and add your bits:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BoLUfe0VlH6Ixei7lYf2Prw6GUvsFIBAkNkSGwfSwUM/edit?usp=drivesdk

The only reason I'm not doing this myself is because I'm finishing off the planet and that's much more important!

jZ4xcCh.png

What a loading screen to start up the game to. (Only slight bug is that the rings cover the main menu, but I can't do anything about that lol. I doubt anyone even needs to press 'addons' and 'credits' anymore!)

I'd say that overall, the completion of gaia is at 80%, and should be due out Sunday. Right now I'm adding the ice caps as MapDecals (as to not disturb the terrain). There are 20 biomes in total (ranging from as simple as 'Oceans, highlands' to specific names of lakes, continents and islands!)

Rings from near the poles:

whJkllH.png

hgsUbB3.png

Edited by Gameslinx

5 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

jZ4xcCh.png

What a loading screen to start up the game to. (Only slight bug is that the rings cover the main menu, but I can't do anything about that lol. I doubt anyone even needs to press 'addons' and 'credits' anymore!)

I'd say that overall, the completion of gaia is at 80%, and should be due out Sunday. Right now I'm adding the ice caps as MapDecals (as to not disturb the terrain). There are 20 biomes in total (ranging from as simple as 'Oceans, highlands' to specific names of lakes, continents and islands!)

Rings from near the poles:

whJkllH.png

hgsUbB3.png

How about adding a really high mountain formation near the  KSP space center  which peaks through the half atmosphere (like 15 to 25km high mountains ) ?

I think that would make reentry a little bit difficulty if trying to land at the space center :)

28 minutes ago, Shaddow Phönix said:

How about adding a really high mountain formation near the  KSP space center  which peaks through the half atmosphere (like 15 to 25km high mountains ) ?

I think that would make reentry a little bit difficulty if trying to land at the space center :)

Hmmm, but it might annoy people, especially with spaceplanes. The mountains around KSC are 13 KM high at their peaks, would that be enough?

Also, to get out of the atmosphere the mountains would have to be 70KM high...

32 minutes ago, Shaddow Phönix said:

@Gameslinx

10 to 15km as the highest mountain  is good.

Much better then the normal Kerbin where the highest mountain is only 6km high.

Quite a lot of the planet is mountainous, but there are some very flat beaches, especially to the right of KSC:

FlYeY0b.png

31 minutes ago, Shaddow Phönix said:

@Gameslinx

10 to 15km as the highest mountain  is good.

Much better then the normal Kerbin where the highest mountain is only 6km high.

In fact, planets can sustain mountains only to a certain size (related to surface gravity): the higher the surface gravity is, the lower the highest mountain can be (indeed the Everest is shorter than Olympus Mons, and both are close to the maximum size for their respective planet). Given surface gravity is the same on Kerbin as on Earth, mountains cannot probably go higher than ~ 10 kms (which is a problem on resized planetary systems, where we end up with mountains that are too tall). Not sure what the intended surface gravity is for Gaia.

25 minutes ago, Joal ban Kluane said:

In fact, planets can sustain mountains only to a certain size (related to surface gravity): the higher the surface gravity is, the lower the highest mountain can be (indeed the Everest is shorter than Olympus Mons, and both are close to the maximum size for their respective planet). Given surface gravity is the same on Kerbin as on Earth, mountains cannot probably go higher than ~ 10 kms (which is a problem on resized planetary systems, where we end up with mountains that are too tall). Not sure what the intended surface gravity is for Gaia.

Gaia's surface gravity is 1.0, just for ease of people playing Career. The highest mountain is 13.2KMs. I'd say that's still within its maximum range, but pushing the limit quite a bit. Hey - it makes for scenery and it's not obnoxiously massive, so it should be acceptable :)

@The White Guardian Do you know how I can target Kerbin's PQS 'level' and change them? In my config for the planet that replaces Kerbin, changing the minLevel and maxLevels doesn't do anything in game (kittopia still thinks maxLevel is at 10, when in the config it is at 6).

Did I do this right?

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		PQS
		{
			minLevel = 2
			maxLevel = 6
		}
	}
}

Edited by Gameslinx

Hey everyone! Gaia is pretty well done. It will be quite difficult to release it separately to the rest of the planets, since they all go together really well. I think it's probably best if I bundle the entire mod as well as Gaia together, rather than keeping them separately, only so that nobody complains to me that such and such doesn't work because I made a mistake packaging the mod.

In short, it's easier and less work to not separate Gaia and the rest of the pack. Gaia will be replacing kerbin BUT, for now, it's in exactly the same place in the Stock system as Kerbin.

I hope this is alright with everyone. Again, releasing the planet separately will make EVE and Scatterer freak out.

Hey everyone! It appears that KSP has began to load extremely slowly. I have no idea what the cause is. Reinstall the game, nothing. Remove all mods, still nothing. Restarting my PC makes it load at the usual speed, but then after one or a few loads it goes back to taking 15 minutes over it. I suspect my RAM is beginning to fail me, yet a memory test returned nothing out of the ordinary...

So because of that, I'm not sure when the next release is. If the problem continues tomorrow (it's been going on for 8 hours...) I doubt we're set for a release on Sunday. If the problem's still continuing over sunday, I'm going to see when I can go out and buy more RAM. I've had these 16GB for 4 years, so it's probably for the best. I'm still stumped, though, because a bunch of diagnostic tools keep saying nothing is wrong, yet if KSP loads slowly, it's likely a RAM issue rather than a disk problem. I use two drives, and switching the KSP folder between both makes no difference.

I'll try my best to keep working on the mod with the slow load times, but it's almost painful having to wait 15 minutes to load the game, change a value in a config then wait 15 more minutes to find nothing happened. *sigh* just a little peeved at the moment.

As of news for the mod, Gaia is completely finished. Maybe some biomes to do, there kind of isn't much else I can do in regards to the rest of the development because of (read above). I'm attempting to upgrade to Kopernicus 1.2.2-5 from 1.2.2-4 because it fixes lag at KSC (increasing framerate on Gaia!), yet ironically, heh, it lags down to 2FPS on the main menu because of some incompatibility. I think something to do with the PQSMod system was changed (which wasn't listed in the changelog) and now Sonus, Vulkine and Butai weren't able to load in - Butai and Sonus are generated with PQSMods and use ArialPerspectiveMaterial {}. Removing that still doesn't let them load in and still causes the lag on the loading screen. Because I don't know what changed in the PQSMod system, I don't know how to fix this, so I'm sticking with Kopernicus 1.2.2-4 until there's more insight into the situation. I'm also looking for a more in-detail changelog for the new Kopernicus release (I recall the ring shaders were changed?) because right now, there's clearly something different with it causing some planets to completely fail to load. (A tad annoyed today, I don't mean any hard feelings against anyone, but since the changelog isn't detail enough, there's nothing I can do).

Then again I could be missing something but sifting through 62 pages of Kopernicus thread isn't my ideal favourite thing to do on a friday.

Today's not a good day!

Edited by Gameslinx

7 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Hey everyone! It appears that KSP has began to load extremely slowly. I have no idea what the cause is. Reinstall the game, nothing. Remove all mods, still nothing. Restarting my PC makes it load at the usual speed, but then after one or a few loads it goes back to taking 15 minutes over it. I suspect my RAM is beginning to fail me, yet a memory test returned nothing out of the ordinary...

So because of that, I'm not sure when the next release is. If the problem continues tomorrow (it's been going on for 8 hours...) I doubt we're set for a release on Sunday. If the problem's still continuing over sunday, I'm going to see when I can go out and buy more RAM. I've had these 16GB for 4 years, so it's probably for the best. I'm still stumped, though, because a bunch of diagnostic tools keep saying nothing is wrong, yet if KSP loads slowly, it's likely a RAM issue rather than a disk problem. I use two drives, and switching the KSP folder between both makes no difference.

I'll try my best to keep working on the mod with the slow load times, but it's almost painful having to wait 15 minutes to load the game, change a value in a config then wait 15 more minutes to find nothing happened. *sigh* just a little peeved at the moment.

As of news for the mod, Gaia is completely finished. Maybe some biomes to do, there kind of isn't much else I can do in regards to the rest of the development because of (read above). I'm attempting to upgrade to Kopernicus 1.2.2-5 from 1.2.2-4 because it fixes lag at KSC (increasing framerate on Gaia!), yet ironically, heh, it lags down to 2FPS on the main menu because of some incompatibility. I think something to do with the PQSMod system was changed (which wasn't listed in the changelog) and now Sonus, Vulkine and Butai weren't able to load in - Butai and Sonus are generated with PQSMods and use ArialPerspectiveMaterial {}. Removing that still doesn't let them load in and still causes the lag on the loading screen. Because I don't know what changed in the PQSMod system, I don't know how to fix this, so I'm sticking with Kopernicus 1.2.2-4 until there's more insight into the situation. I'm also looking for a more in-detail changelog for the new Kopernicus release (I recall the ring shaders were changed?) because right now, there's clearly something different with it causing some planets to completely fail to load. (A tad annoyed today, I don't mean any hard feelings against anyone, but since the changelog isn't detail enough, there's nothing I can do).

Then again I could be missing something but sifting through 62 pages of Kopernicus thread isn't my ideal favourite thing to do on a friday.

Today's not a good day!

Ooh, that's bad.

I really wanted to play on Gaia. : (

1 minute ago, electricpants said:

Ooh, that's bad.

I really wanted to play on Gaia. : (

I have a few possible reasons why it might not be working. I've spent 14 hours trying to fix the darn thing to no avail:

• A windows update
  • RAM is failing
  • Disk drive is failing
  • ?????

It isn't any of the mods. Once the game finally loads all is well, and the problem persists on stock installs.

If possible, I'll release the Gaia configs on Sunday here but not officially as an update until I can load KSP without growing a beard. As you can see, this is very frustrating!

I'm so stumped. I have no possible idea as to what caused this and how to fix it.

It's making mod development tedious if not impossible.

Sorry everyone. No release on Sunday.

- Gameslinx

Edited by Gameslinx