[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

Looking nice, man! Gonna download it when I get home from my trip.

BTW, I noticed volux's description:

"Volux - A desolate planet, long ago abandoned by its inhabitants... Only its intoxicated oceans remain..."

I think you mean toxic. Unless the oceans are made of alcohol, or the oceans themselves are drunk. Then saying that they are intoxicated might be okay.

12 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

Looking nice, man! Gonna download it when I get home from my trip.

BTW, I noticed volux's description:

"Volux - A desolate planet, long ago abandoned by its inhabitants... Only its intoxicated oceans remain..."

I think you mean toxic. Unless the oceans are made of alcohol, or the oceans themselves are drunk. Then saying that they are intoxicated might be okay.

Ooooh! Haha! That made me laugh for quite a while. I'll change that to polluted from intoxicated. Unless Jeb's been hauling alcohol to Volux all this time... That explains the bad mood in KSC!

Cheers!

Hey all! Now that we're approaching the magnificent 1.0, it's time for some screenies!

These are all random locations, and what they will look like. No image filtering, no trickery, all taken straight from the planets!

kG1RyNj.png

Now for the build status:

Yes, there will be a new version today - It's regarding Volux. There's been a description fix thanks to @Raptor22 for pointing that out. There has also been an atmosphere fix and an ocean fix. Volux and Niebos used to have 2 oceans stacked on top of each other, because I didn't remove the ocean from Laythe's template used in the CFG file. Luckily, there's NO LAG anymore!

8 minutes ago, Theglitchofthekraken said:

I see the problem. You don't have the mod installed.

You have put 'gamedata' inside 'gamedata'. Don't do that! Take everything out of your second Gamedata folder and put it in the Gamedata with Squad inside.

Your gamedata should look like this:

Green is what you already have, which is good

Red is what you need to put in your gamedata

Blue is what you must remove from your gamedata folder

HyperEngine

Kopernicus

Squad

Modulemanager

WheelsCollection

Olei

CTTP

ModularFlightIntegrator

Gamedata

FPuoJcC.png

Putting the gamedata folder inside the gamedata folder is a rookie mistake. You have to extract all of the mods from the mod's gamedata folder to the game's gamedata folder.

There ought to be tutorial videos out there to help you.

On 2/19/2017 at 5:55 PM, Gamel0rd1 said:

Welcome to version 0.9.

As 1.0 draws closer, I have been focusing on ironing out a lot of the bugs, whilst improving the overall look of the planets. Yesterday and this morning I took it upon myself to correct the pinching at the poles of the planets. This required a new colourmap to account for the distortion, and so every single one of the planets has a slightly new look. Some are noticeable (for example, Tetra no longer looks like a pizza), others not so much.

pe3Zi93.jpg

Here's the changelog:

• Redone heightmap and colourmap textures for Niebos

• Redone heightmap and colourmap textures for Niebietos

• Redone heightmap and colourmap textures for Volux

• Redone heightmap and colourmap textures for Olei

• Redone heightmap and colourmap textures for Olemut

• Redone heightmap and colourmap textures for Sheathe

• Redone heightmap and colourmap textures for Telos

• Redone heightmap and colourmap textures for Teloslate

• Redone heightmap and colourmap textures for Dusk

• Redone heightmap and colourmap textures for Dread

• Redone heightmap and colourmap textures for Quarta

• Redone heightmap and colourmap textures for Vega

• Redone heightmap and colourmap textures for Tetra

• Redone heightmap and colourmap textures for Flak

• Fixed terrain issues for all planets

• Fixed normal map rendering issues for all planets

• Added more biome maps for Sheathe, Telos, Volux, Quarta and Flak

• Redid Olu'um outer texture

• Added surface clouds (dust, basically) to Vega, Sheathe and Teloslate

• MANY MOAR BUG FIXES!

YES THE GAS GIANT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE SPLOTCHES OF PAINT! IT HAS BANDS AND CLOUDS! AND THE HABITABLE WORLDS LOOK PLEASING AND THE OCEANS AND LAND DONT BLEND!

YOU HAVE LEARNT A LOT MY FRIEND! AND THUS I TIP MY IMAGINARY HAT, BUT ACCIDENTALLY REMOVE MY HELMET!

Now give me a sec while I put my helmet back on...

40 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

Putting the gamedata folder inside the gamedata folder is a rookie mistake. You have to extract all of the mods from the mod's gamedata folder to the game's gamedata folder.

There ought to be tutorial videos out there to help you.

I should probably make a tutorial video myself, to be honest, simply because of the file structure of the mod. I have put a readme in the folder, but it might not be enough. Here's the file structure:

Olei Planet Mod.zip > OPEN THIS > Planets (folder), Clouds (folder) with a text file saying to install Planets before Clouds. Inside planets are the Kopernicus, CTTP, modularFI, Olei and Module manager. Inside clouds is EVE.

Might be confusing and might warrant a video tutorial, but it's really quite simple if you read the folder names and the text file in version 0.7 and above @Theglitchofthekraken

6 minutes ago, Galacticvoyager said:

YES THE GAS GIANT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE SPLOTCHES OF PAINT! IT HAS BANDS AND CLOUDS! AND THE HABITABLE WORLDS LOOK PLEASING AND THE OCEANS AND LAND DONT BLEND!

YOU HAVE LEARNT A LOT MY FRIEND! AND THUS I TIP MY IMAGINARY HAT, BUT ACCIDENTALLY REMOVE MY HELMET!

Now give me a sec while I put my helmet back on...

Thank you!

Now let's find an image from an.... Older... Version:

Fk0EbEC.jpg

Well ah... I think I've come a long way!

And darn did I spend some time on the gas giant texture. You're not the only one who thought it looked ugly!

Luckily now that's out of the way, I was able to fix the map view of the planets. They looked very flat, especially Dread and Sheathe - the more mountainous of the moons. They reflect their terrain pretty much perfectly and there's no ugly pinching at the poles.

And I don't want to boast in any way about the above. Those were some VERY annoying bugs that I was spending daaaaaays on.

I think I have learned an awful lot over the last few weeks. How to make heightmaps, colourmaps, polar invert the planets (some weird voodoo I don't quite get, but it stops the pole pinching which is nice!), the config files, height noise, even a little poke around with EVE!

And truly, thank you for your reply. I reminds me why I develop this mod. Yes, there are/were many bugs but they are slowly getting swept away

Hey I just realised. We're not even out of beta yet! Know what that means?

I still have an excuse for bugs heheh!

Just now, Gamel0rd1 said:

Thank you!

Now let's find an image from an.... Older... Version:

Fk0EbEC.jpg

Well ah... I think I've come a long way!

And darn did I spend some time on the gas giant texture. You're not the only one who thought it looked ugly!

Luckily now that's out of the way, I was able to fix the map view of the planets. They looked very flat, especially Dread and Sheathe - the more mountainous of the moons. They reflect their terrain pretty much perfectly and there's no ugly pinching at the poles.

And I don't want to boast in any way about the above. Those were some VERY annoying bugs that I was spending daaaaaays on.

I think I have learned an awful lot over the last few weeks. How to make heightmaps, colourmaps, polar invert the planets (some weird voodoo I don't quite get, but it stops the pole pinching which is nice!), the config files, height noise, even a little poke around with EVE!

And truly, thank you for your reply. I reminds me why I develop this mod. Yes, there are/were many bugs but they are slowly getting swept away

Hey I just realised. We're not even out of beta yet! Know what that means?

I still have an excuse for bugs heheh!

MOAR IMPROVEMENTS!

I do love this mod because not many add kerbin-like planets, and you've done it so well. I love the idea of a habitable planet with rings (eye candy!), and this mod hits it spot-on. 

Sure, you've had some bumps along the way, but it's looking great!

I haven't yet been able to play the most recent version (I'm still sitting at Atlanta Int'l - 4 hour layover), so I can't tell if you've gotten scatterer support for the oceans. If you don't have them, then it looks like that should be your next steps. You've ironed the wrinkles and squashed the bugs. Now you can work on making this mod absolute eye candy, as well as adding support for other mods, if you have to (like kethane, etc.)

3 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

I do love this mod because not many add kerbin-like planets, and you've done it so well. I love the idea of a habitable planet with rings (eye candy!), and this mod hits it spot-on. 

Sure, you've had some bumps along the way, but it's looking great!

I haven't yet been able to play the most recent version (I'm still sitting at Atlanta Int'l - 4 hour layover), so I can't tell if you've gotten scatterer support for the oceans. If you don't have them, then it looks like that should be your next steps. You've ironed the wrinkles and squashed the bugs. Now you can work on making this mod absolute eye candy, as well as adding support for other mods, if you have to (like kethane, etc.)

Thank you!

Your feedback was very useful early on, I've been going off that for a while and I think it's going alright!

The oceans don't support scatterer as far as I know (I haven't tried, but I haven't written any configs for it so I guess it's not supported!)

I'm no artist - in fact I was the worst in my entire year (I'm not joking, I got the lowest exam score) at art so this feedback is VERY nice to read!

I'm gonna add you, Galileo and The White Guardian to the special thanks list for your help. Thanks!

@Gamel0rd1 I've been admiring this mod since I saw v0.4 and I'm glad to see you got help from the best of the best of planet makers. :) 

@Raptor22 The first sorts of mods that should be provided for are indeed the resource-focused ones, namely Kerbalism and TAC LS, then Launchpads and Kethane. Resource distributions are my specialty so with a few PMs from the dev here, i can make that part happen.

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Gamel0rd1 I've been admiring this mod since I saw v0.4 and I'm glad to see you got help from the best of the best of planet makers. :) 

@Raptor22 The first sorts of mods that should be provided for are indeed the resource-focused ones, namely Kerbalism and TAC LS, then Launchpads and Kethane. Resource distributions are my specialty so with a few PMs from the dev here, i can make that part happen.

Thank you :) we're a long way since 0.4 now!

As for resource distribution, I'll see if I can sort that out before 1.0. How do I add resource distribution to the planets? Do I need a map (like a height map) of the planet?

@Gamel0rd1 I can see that. You planet makers have this fascinating, frightening speed when it comes to, well, planet making. :o 

Resource distribution requires a series of config files (per resource) full of nodes and should be clumped together in a folder just for tidiness. Look in GameData\CommunityResourcePack\ResourceConfigs for samples of how most resources are setup. Kethane has a very different format for its distribution so you'll have to download that too. Lastly, Extraplanetary Launchpads uses both Kethane's and CRP's resource distribution formats. As most of CRP's resources have a global resource node you'll have no need to bother with them. The ones you should write for are Nitrogen, Oxygen, Water, CarbonDioxide.

Spoiler

Some configs will be needed to deny resources in places like water in Volux's oceans if there's supposed to be none. Also insert this somewhere, maybe an Ore.cfg file, with the name of your gas planet so players won't get contracts asking for Ore from it.

@Contracts
{
	@ISRU
	{
		@RESOURCE_REQUEST[Ore]
		{
			Forbidden = 
		}
	}
}

9 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Gamel0rd1 I can see that. You planet makers have this fascinating, frightening speed when it comes to, well, planet making. :o 

Resource distribution requires a series of config files (per resource) full of nodes and should be clumped together in a folder just for tidiness. Look in GameData\CommunityResourcePack\ResourceConfigs for samples of how most resources are setup. Kethane has a very different format for its distribution so you'll have to download that too. Lastly, Extraplanetary Launchpads uses both Kethane's and CRP's resource distribution formats. As most of CRP's resources have a global resource node you'll have no need to bother with them. The ones you should write for are Nitrogen, Oxygen, Water, CarbonDioxide.

Hide contents

Some configs will be needed to deny resources in places like water in Volux's oceans if there's supposed to be none. Also insert this somewhere, maybe an Ore.cfg file, with the name of your gas planet so players won't get contracts asking for Ore from it.

@Contracts
{
	@ISRU
	{
		@RESOURCE_REQUEST[Ore]
		{
			Forbidden = 
		}
	}
}

That looks... Scary.

Nah, not too bad. but a lot of effort for the moment.

I think this will be a post-1.0 addition (I will certainly be taking a good look at resources, just not yet!), and I'll refer back to this post for it.

As for the speed with planet making, some planets (Dread) take a day, others take a week (I'm looking at you, Niebos). Usually the atmospheric, larger planets take longer since they require a lot more detail so it's not the same old stuff all over it. As well as this, the atmospheres are the absolute hardest to do, because they have a good tendency to not behave. You'd expect: RGB = 0.5 , 0.8 , 0.5 to be a nice green colour, right?

wrong. In the config files, it's inverted. So that would actually be purple. This gets confusing, because there are two entries for atmosphere colours. The first is ambient light (usually white-light, but it's orange for Volux). This follows linear to the standard RGB format. But LightColor, I think it's called, is inverted. I always confuse the two, and forget about any sort of inversion!

9 minutes ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

That looks... Scary.

I have made scary resource distributions, but they work. That was a goal and it has been accomplished. :) 

I'm aware of inverted atmosphere colors. I believe the parameter you're thinking of is AtmosphereFromGround? Wavelength?

7 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I have made scary resource distributions, but they work. That was a goal and it has been accomplished. :) 

I'm aware of inverted atmosphere colors. I believe the parameter you're thinking of is AtmosphereFromGround? Wavelength?

Taken from Niebos's atmosphere config:

ambientColor = 0.85,0.85,0.9,1
lightColor = 0.8483146,0.7078652,0.511236,1

XaCyeu1.jpg

WELCOME TO VERSION 0.9.6.

( @Raptor22 you might wanna see this)

We now have scatterer configs! Telos, Volux and Niebos ALL have scatterer oceans and atmospheres! Huzzah, and nothing crashed on the way! (apart from my screenshot taking SSTO thing!)

Changelog:

• Added scatter configs for Telos, Niebos and Volux
  • IN PROGRESS terrain rework for Telos
  • Fixed all oceans. No double ocean laggy nonsense anymore!
  • Fixed Niebietos's orbital view to match its ground view
  • Currently working on Olu'um clouds and scatterer configs

KNOWN ISSUE: TELOS'S TERRAIN IS A LITTLE STRANGE. You can still land on it, but there's a big change from orbit VS on land, okay? Nobody complain to me about that one! (I'm joking, I want more photos of those issues!)

Edited by Gamel0rd1

Nooo! My computer's graphics card burnt out, and now I can't see this! The screenshots look amazing!

CURSE YOU NVIDIA! I THOUGHT THAT YOUR CARDS WERE GOOD!

I'll have to dig out my old card. Looks great, though! Can't wait to start exploring it!

35 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

Nooo! My computer's graphics card burnt out, and now I can't see this! The screenshots look amazing!

CURSE YOU NVIDIA! I THOUGHT THAT YOUR CARDS WERE GOOD!

I'll have to dig out my old card. Looks great, though! Can't wait to start exploring it!

Nooooo!

It's EVE which hogs performance the most - scatterer should work alright!

Update:

UPDATED SCREENSHOTS to the current version.

Go on, guys, click it!

Edited by Gamel0rd1