[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

The year is 9302. The Mun has been impacted by a huge asteroid and Kerbin is flooded.

Begin on an evolved Kerbin. Its continents have moved, its mountains and topography vary drastically. Set many millenia after the Kerbals first took to space, the general culture of former 'Kerbin' has changed drastically. Because of this change, the planet is significantly different - it's known as Gaia and all interplanetary voyages are strictly forbidden by the global government - You must convince them to fly once more. The entire planetary system has overcome a drastic change. A near miss with another star has caused many planets and moons to be captured by Kerbol.

Your adventure awaits; take to the stars once more and prove that the eagerly awaiting space-faring Kerbals still have a future.

This mod adds more planets and moons to land on whilst keeping the stock feel to the game. I have revisited the entire Kerbin system and added a bit more variation to the different planets and moons, making you feel the joy of exploring them once again.

DOWNLOAD FOR KSP 1.4.3

hadnJUQ.png

If you feel as if you enjoy the mod thoroughly, feel free, but not inclined to, leave a small donation in return. Thanks :D 
Image result for donate picture

DISCORD: https://discord.gg/XmVp23s

Installation Instructions:

Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul is a planet mod for Kerbal Space Program. This mod is licenced under CC-BY-NC-ND 4.0.

Proceed with the following install instructions:

Download Kopernicus - https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases/
Download CTTP - https://github.com/Galileo88/Community-Terrain-Texture-Pack/releases/
Download EVE - https://github.com/WazWaz/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/
Download Scatterer - https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/releases/
Download SigmaReplacements https://github.com/Sigma88/Sigma-Replacements/releases/
Download INSTANTIATOR - https://spacedock.info/mod/1624/INSTANTIATOR/
You MUST remove "ExampleConfig.cfg" from the Instantiator folder or it will not work
Download GPO - https://github.com/Gameslinx/Gameslinx-Planet-Overhaul/releases
Install ALL of those mods correctly - this should be as simple as dragging the correct folder to GameData unless stated otherwise. After that, launch the game in 64 bit.

QMdswxJ.png

H3DFNn1.jpg

The above photograpah is not ingame imagery

Edited by Gameslinx
Version 3.4 has been released!

Info:

This mod is completely compatible with Outer Planets Mod, AND any mod that adds planets BEYOND the current stock system. I cannot guarantee how well the mod will work alongside others that use EVE and Scatterer - always install the EVE and Scatterer configs that I distribute AFTER any others!

THE BELOW SCREENSHOTS ARE OUTDATED. DON'T JUDGE THE MOD BASED ON THE FOLLOWING SCREENSHOTS, AS IT HAS DRASTICALLY CHANGED!

Edited by Gameslinx

12 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Awesome! :) 

Is this compatible with OPM (outer planets mod, not olei planet mod) :wink:? Thanks

It had compatibility in mind! it should work perfectly well along with (outer)PM (nothing should collide).

All the planets are within Jool's orbit (for now!), so I don't see any issues they could cause

This message has been deleted.

The below screenshots are outdated, please do not use them to judge the planet pack. Click on the massive 'SCREENSHOTS' button at the main thread above to view updated screenshots.

Edited by Gameslinx

I love Niebos's new rings! Perhaps a good idea would be to put a tiny moon in that large gap between the rings; moons are often the causes of the most significant gaps in planetary rings, and it would be another opportunity for an interesting place to explore.

I also like the appearance of that green and grey planet, it's a very unique color scheme.

7 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

I love Niebos's new rings! Perhaps a good idea would be to put a tiny moon in that large gap between the rings; moons are often the causes of the most significant gaps in planetary rings, and it would be another opportunity for an interesting place to explore.

I also like the appearance of that green and grey planet, it's a very unique color scheme.

Amazing idea. I could move Tetra there for the time being? (Tetra now orbits Niebos at 14,000,000m)

Just now, Gamel0rd1 said:

Amazing idea. I could move Tetra there for the time being? (Tetra now orbits Niebos at 14,000,000m)

I think perhaps a better idea would be a new celestial body that is small enough to fit in the gap between the rings without touching them (I don't know if Tetra is or not but it would probably be best to design one with that size in mind), and possibly shares the coloration of the rings on some or most of its surface, as if it's accumulated dust from the rings.

12 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Make an asteroid moon? Like Gilly but smaller! 

Hide contents

Woooo low gravity :D 

10 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

I think perhaps a better idea would be a new celestial body that is small enough to fit in the gap between the rings without touching them (I don't know if Tetra is or not but it would probably be best to design one with that size in mind), and possibly shares the coloration of the rings on some or most of its surface, as if it's accumulated dust from the rings.

Sounds fine to me! Bearing in mind that Niebos is quite a small planet, possibly smaller than laythe, I reckon that's a good idea!

2 hours ago, TheJewelOfJool said:

Oops. Didn't see the picture was fixed. 

I think you were referring to that Niebos was listed as Tetra? Yeah, my bad! I'm updating the description now changing it from "adds 5 planets" to 6

I have a little teaser for you all.

You can pretty easily guess what this is, but it's better to post a nice picture of it first!

Now I can get it into orbit inside the rings (at the gap), but every now and then it jumps away from them (I think it's because i'm hyper-editing everywhere), which might be bad. So for now, it does orbit through the gap, but isn't nestled inside the rings until/unless i can find a fix for it!

k8h7NKB.jpg

Changelog VERSION 0.3: | | --- | | - IMPORTANT - IF YOU ARE LANDED ON NIEBOS, GET TO A SAFE SPOT!

• Niebos radius scaled up to 400KM diameter (Just less than Kerbin's)
  • Niebietos moonlet added around Niebos. It's not what it seems from the map view... (easter egg?)
  • Vega will be moved from Niebos's orbit to Olu'um (gas giant) soon, as Niebietos is Niebos's official moon, now.
  • I'm using a new algorithm to calculate noise for Niebietos. It should allow for some great new scenery
  • KNOWN ISSUE - Niebos's ocean is TOO LOW by about 200m. This will be fixed in the next update!
  • KNOWN ISSUE - Niebos's moon (Niebietos) looks perfectly round from the map view, when it REALLY ISN'T - Go visit it, it's awesome!

On request of @eloquentJane and @TheEpicSquared - Thanks for the suggestion! Since your idea was awesome, if you want, PM me an easter egg idea. It can be anything appropriate. Just specify which planet you want it on, and what you want it to be (I can't do monoliths yet, though!). 

Edited by Gameslinx

20 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Looks great! I particularly like the different colours in the rings of Niebos. I might do a mission there soon (in 4x scale probably).

Do I need to add 4x scale configs or does a mod do that automatically?

And thanks for the feedback again - the rings were an experiment. I can't scientifically say what caused the rings to be green though. Tomorrow I have quite the limited time, so instead of pushing out another planet I will make biome maps / science values for as many as I can (the boring bit!)

40 minutes ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

Do I need to add 4x scale configs or does a mod do that automatically?

No, I use Sigma Dimensions to do it.

As for the rings, I would imagine that a collision between a comet and an asteroid unusually rich in some green mineral (possibly malachite or olivine) could cause that sort of coloration. I don't think it's likely, but then I suppose it's about as likely as a bright purple planet.

51 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

No, I use Sigma Dimensions to do it.

As for the rings, I would imagine that a collision between a comet and an asteroid unusually rich in some green mineral (possibly malachite or olivine) could cause that sort of coloration. I don't think it's likely, but then I suppose it's about as likely as a bright purple planet.

From google:

"The bright green color of some meteorites is caused by the internal combustion of metals as they pass through the upper atmosphere. Manyasteroids are rich in nickel and have trace amounts of copper. Both metals burn green when sufficiently heated"

well there we go. Considering the very lower layer of the rings are green, I think it ties in quite well, and must have been through Niebos's atmosphere, then pulled out by its moon!

I think that's referring to the re-entry trails visible from the surface rather than the material itself, but let's assume for a moment that the ring formed from an asteroid that has entered the atmosphere of Niebos in the past before getting pulled into a stable orbit. Whilst nickel and copper do turn green when superheated like that (in an oxygen atmosphere), only the surface of the asteroid would turn green whilst flying through the atmosphere, so when it gets destroyed to form the ring later the inside would not be green. If, alternatively, it got destroyed when entering the atmosphere, it's unlikely that enough debris would then exit the atmosphere to form the inner rings. Additionally, the green coloration would only occur if the atmosphere of Niebos contains oxygen, because the coloring is caused by oxidation.

This is why I would think it more likely that the green coloration is caused by an asteroid rich in some mineral that is naturally green. Such minerals are not exactly likely to be found on asteroids, as green minerals are usually gemstones that are formed under extremely high pressure, it might be possible that they could be formed during high-speed collisions of particularly massive objects, such as large asteroids. They could also be ejected out from the surface of a planet if a similarly planet-sized object were to crash into it. As for the outer ring, blues are fairly common in space, and the most likely material for it is probably ice (assuming Niebos isn't too close to the sun for that to really be possible).

I'm not able to push a build out tonight due to some issues with a larger planet I'm trying to make - called Scaythe. Unfortunately, it's not cooperating with me, and so I decided i'm going to scrap Scaythe and make a new planet. This little gem will be a very small moon which orbits Dusk! Ask Dusk is 'desert central' and in the 'desert sweet spot', it needs more love!

And so, what goes better than a desert and oasis? Not much more than this!

Here's what I will be finishing up on over the next few days - perhaps tomorrow's release if all goes well!

Edited by Gameslinx

15 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Is Dusk not supposed to be a moon of Eve? Maybe it's some bug with the rescaling causing it, but Dusk orbits Eve in my current install.

Oh yeah, it does!

*dhurp* I mean you can have a moon of a moon, since eve's gravity is strong enough to hold it, but I don't want dusk hogging all the objects. I could put it in orbit of Olu'um for the time being but that's not very creative.

Which means I might keep it in Olu'um until there's another planet in the Kerbal system to put it around.

Well, if Volux is supposed to be a warm place, maybe it could be another moon of Eve? I don't think it's excessive for Eve to have three moons considering its high gravity. It'd probably be best placed in a lower orbit than Gilly though; spheres of influence in reality are smaller as you get closer to the object at the center of the sun*, and I think Gilly is probably about as far out as a moon could reasonably be in real life.

*You can get an idea of the scale of this effect by comparing the SOI of Pluto with that of Earth; Pluto's sphere of influence is nearly an order of magnitude larger. The actual gravitational force experienced at a certain altitude doesn't change, but gravitational perturbations from the Sun mean that an object could orbit Pluto at a much higher altitude than it could orbit Earth before its orbit becomes unstable.