[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

2 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Ah, I see. I put all of the contents of the folder into a custom folder named Olei, for easy file location. I'll install it correctly next time! :-)

Silly!

It's awesome you managed to sort it out. Enjoy playing!

5 hours ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

Sorry to be a bit blunt, but you see that huge BETA sign? Yep.

And for the lighting I assume you mean the Olei moon around kerbin? That's an easy fix I must have overlooked when correcting the others. The normal map has to be set to PNG and half transparency, so that will be fixed in the next build.

As for Niebos's ocean floor rising above the sea level - that's to do with the random noise generated. The random noise makes height map pixelation a lot less obvious (there's no other way to get rid of it. On the space dock change log it DOES say that Niebos's ocean is too low, but I can tune down the noise level as well.

"Terrain is hell". I know this. This has been a priority from the start to get fixed. The two first planets - Dusk and Olei, are the worst for this, as well... They were my first ever planets. They will get a brush-over. If you're referring to Niebos or Volux, you may have landed on a bad part of the planet. I can't explore every square metre of it, and it is immensely difficult to get the terrain to look nice AND be land able

And seeing as you didn't see the huge Beta warning, I imagine you didn't think I would have other mod support. Again, sorry for being blunt, but don't expect mod support if mine doesn't work properly yet. (Also I can't get SVE to work properly - no clouds, but scatterer works). Taking a look inside the Olei folder, you will see 'Environmental not working Enhancements'. The configs are there, just not complete.

Scatterer as well. I'm starting from the very bottom and I would like to get the planets to look nice in stock before supporting further visuals.

The atmosphere for Niebos should not be purple - it's actually copied from Olu'um because I had many problems. Luckily I now know how to fix these. The sky kinda cuts off at the moment. The sky also covers up the rings from time to time. That's a Kopernicus bug.

Thank you for taking the time to report these bugs. They are mostly useful to me, although I'm aware of some of these already. You just came off as a bit rude at the start.

Final note:

Please remember, this mod is only being developed by one person. I also have to go to school, study and be social, meaning I do have limited time to develop this mod. I try my best and I know there are bugs, but that's what Beta is about. The next build should contain a lot of bug fixes, especially terrain, as we really need flat surfaces to land on.

Yes, I did indeed see the beta sign. I also saw the sign saying "feedback wanted!"

I commend your effort. Being able to put in 120+ hours with school and social life is no small feat.

I knew that the mod would not work well. I was just surprised by how buggy it is. But then again, it sounds like you've been taking a different approach.

Concerning the terrain, you may be able to check the height maps. I was always landing on the side of a mountain, or at least a 10-15 degree slope on Niebos.

Additionally, I have found that the poles are a little gitchy (I've seen it in many Kopernicus mods)

I have to get my imgur account working again, but once I do then I can send some screenshots that you can analyze.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but since you have random noise generation, does that mean that - in a way - it's procedural? 

If it is, and this doesn't work out, then I'd recommend ditching that feature. While having random terrain is cool and all, it tends to be very glitchy. 

1 hour ago, Raptor22 said:

Yes, I did indeed see the beta sign. I also saw the sign saying "feedback wanted!"

I commend your effort. Being able to put in 120+ hours with school and social life is no small feat.

I knew that the mod would not work well. I was just surprised by how buggy it is. But then again, it sounds like you've been taking a different approach.

Concerning the terrain, you may be able to check the height maps. I was always landing on the side of a mountain, or at least a 10-15 degree slope on Niebos.

Additionally, I have found that the poles are a little gitchy (I've seen it in many Kopernicus mods)

I have to get my imgur account working again, but once I do then I can send some screenshots that you can analyze.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but since you have random noise generation, does that mean that - in a way - it's procedural? 

If it is, and this doesn't work out, then I'd recommend ditching that feature. While having random terrain is cool and all, it tends to be very glitchy. 

I have uploaded a new release of the mod with edited heightmaps. I'm using a png compression method so there's barely any quality loss.

Regarding the poles I have been unable to find any program able to polar distort the heightmaps and colourmaps. This is do-able in After Effects (which i have), but nobody has replied to me about this.

The random noise does make the planet procedural to an extent, but that's only on initial generation. To regenerate the noise (not the heightmap), change the seed values in the config file

Thanks for your feedback

Edited by Gamel0rd1

2 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

I guess the game crashed when I installed it correctly... here's my crash log:https://github.com/NISSKEPSCIM/Crash-Log-for-Olei-Planet-Mod-BETA/projects

KSP.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005) in module KSP.exe at 0023:00a50278.

Error occurred at 2017-02-04_201252. C:\Users\Name\Desktop\SteamGameFiles\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by John. 84% memory in use. 0 MB physical memory

You ran out of memory. Make sure you are running KSP 64-bit or have a computer capable of more than 4GB of RAM. The mod is working fine for me without having any other mods, and I am using KSP 64 bit. If you have other problems, feel free to quote

2 hours ago, ForumUser said:

How about a binary habitable moon system orbiting Jool? That would be cool.

Binary systems would require Sigma Binary - a mod I will currently not be supporting yet. I like the idea of binary celestial bodies, but I would like to get my current set of assets working before i experiment further!

50 minutes ago, Galacticvoyager said:

There ARE some things that the mod needs to improve on, for example. The gas giant`s clouds do not look very realistic. Another thing, 2 of its moons occasionally collide in orbit, so I suggest you fix their orbits...

The gas giant is getting a look-over, so it retains its striped cloud texture like Jool's.

As for the orbits, would you be able to point out which planets are colliding?

Just now, Gamel0rd1 said:

The gas giant is getting a look-over, so it retains its striped cloud texture like Jool's.

As for the orbits, would you be able to point out which planets are colliding?

Its the closest moon to the gas giant, and then the eccentric moon which crosses over the other moons orbit...

Its rare, but it happens...

7 minutes ago, Galacticvoyager said:

Its the closest moon to the gas giant, and then the eccentric moon which crosses over the other moons orbit...

Its rare, but it happens...

Thanks! The issue has been fixed and will be released in the next build!

Welcome to version 0.5.1!

V42YHr3.jpg

And today I have some awesome news for you!

Important - Uh.... Nothing critical! If you're landed on planets, just be careful because some positions have been changed!

•   Added planet SHEATHE
  •   Added planet TELOS
  •   Olu'um has had a TEMPORARY texture change. It's a general idea of what is to come - it looks more realistic but this one isn't staying as it's blurry
  •   Moved Sheathe further away from Olu'um
  •   Adjusted Olei's orbital position from Olu'um to Kerbin (as it used to be!)
  •   Terrain overhaul continues. Now, Olei, Dusk, the new planets, Niebos, Verex and Tetra have more suitable and variable terrains for landing
  •   KNOWN BUG: Volux's atmosphere should NOT be green! It should be orange! (I'm having trouble with this, not sure on an ETA for a fix)
  •   Biome maps in progress for the new planets, but not yet complete
  •   Using a better way to smooth terrain and converted nearly all planet textures to PNG to prevent quality loss!

Here are some screenshots of the planet surfaces (only uploading one each this time, due to how big this post would be otherwise!)

FINALLY! Flat surfaces on planets! I managed to figure out a way to finally support flatter surfaces for planet terrain. Enjoy landing in SSTOs and not falling over in rockets!

Just next to the plane is one of Shiethe's more iconic mountain ranges. They might look small from the picture but they're 8KM high!

Vbv56z6.jpg

And here is a little teaser of Telos, the oceanic, earth/niebos/kerbin/laythe-like planet! Supports oxygen as well, with a 40% atmospheric pressure compared to Kerbin. A nice balance, especially when doing reentry orbital injections!

Xt6wKWR.jpg

It's not much of a screenshot, but believe me it's a looker up close!

Hello everyone! Version 0.6 has dropped from above and hit y'all on the head!

Welcome to version 0.6!

Here's the rundown of events, and also the changelog, for this version. I can proudly announce an additional 2 'planet'ary bodies. They're more like moonitary bodies? @TheEpicSquared I recall you like those?

Either way, they're small but pretty darn new little gems!

• Added moonlet OLEMUT around Olei
  • Added moonlet TELOSLATE around Telos
  • Added more science definitions for Niebos and Olei
  • Tweaked some Olu'um planet orbits
  • Added 'easter eggs'!
  • Reached 300 hours working on the mod! (Is that good or bad??)
  • Tweaked Olei's colours slightly to a more darker brown
  • Finally fixed Verex's terrain
  • Waiting for a transfer window to Olu'um...
  •  Added more planetary descriptions which suit their properties (If you were observant, you would see most had 'description' before!
  • Running out of things to put in the changelog!

Mandatory image:

TrLSwlg.jpg

Go out and enjoy! 

-- The mod is currently uploading.... Hurr durr it's taking ages

--(10 minutes later)-------- The mod has been updated!

Edited by Gamel0rd1

Here's the version history, since we've come an awful long way since 4 planets!

I have put together this (rather bad) picture of all the versions so far!

I might keep this a running thing, and each update will push the one before to the bottom

LhBBfNh.jpg

Edited by Gamel0rd1

17 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

Olei and several other bodies are CLEARLY generated with SpaceEngine.

Olei is, Dusk is, that's it. Although I admit I am not being entirely honest with that statement, it's better to put 'Precise, handcrafted terrain (not generated with space engine)' than 'Precise, handcrafted terrain (not generated with space engine apart from 2 planets, them being named as 'olei' and 'dusk''. I like to be open about how I develop the mod, as I give frequent updates and information into its development and assets, but saying that two out of twelve planets are different is ridiculous in my view. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Olei and Dusk will be getting an overhaul soon. They were my first planets.

All, and I mean ALL other planets use a fractal noise layer from After Effects layered on top of others (well, apart from Olu'um, it's a darn gas giant!), with additional tweaking in Paint.net afterwards.

Edited by Gamel0rd1

8 minutes ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

Olei is, Dusk is, that's it. Although I admit I am not being entirely honest with that statement, it's better to put 'Precise, handcrafted terrain (not generated with space engine)' than 'Precise, handcrafted terrain (not generated with space engine apart from 2 planets, them being named as 'olei' and 'dusk''. I like to be open about how I develop the mod, as I give frequent updates and information into its development and assets, but saying that two out of twelve planets are different is ridiculous in my view. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Olei and Dusk will be getting an overhaul soon. They were my first planets.

All, and I mean ALL other planets use a fractal noise layer from After Effects layered on top of others (well, apart from Olu'um, it's a darn gas giant!), with additional tweaking in Paint.net afterwards.

It's fine, I started with SE exports too.

8 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

is there an imgur gallery where i can see all the planets in the mod? and does anyone know if this mod interferes with kerbol origins or revamped stock solar system?

Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea how to embed an imgur gallery/album. I've tried but the tutorials are outdated.

As for compatability, I have designed the mod with that in mind. 

I imagine all the planets are compatible with nearly all planet mods - but please note that I have only tested this with the OPM mod. Kerbal Origins sounds alright, but anything that changes the stock solar system might get a bit weird. Here are the orbits with some information about what planet orbits what:

fRj8ATo.png

22 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

It's fine, I started with SE exports too.

Yeah, then I realised that it just makes the same, horrible features all over the planets, and there's no way to control specific regions :( 

Welcome to version 0.7.

I've been putting it off for ages but today I have been solely focused on fixing Niebos for good!

And as a reward, y'all get clouds!

NckIsuP.jpg

Here's the rundown for this update, regarding all and just Niebos!

(note: Volux and Telos will get clouds soon)

IMPORTANT - This is an experimental release. If this doesn't work, please use the release before (0.6)!
CHANGELOG:
   -   Added clouds and EVE textures to Niebos!
   -   Lowered Niebos's terrain and lowered the deformity
   -   Niebos now has flatter flats and higher highs!
   -   Fixed normal map for Niebos
   -   Niebos's atmosphere is now BLUE!
   -   Fixed Niebos's strange atmosphere cut at low altitudes
   -   Lowered Niebos's ocean. Let me know if that's bad!

ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey everyone! I have an announcement for you all. Over the next week there will be no release. This is because I am away. There is very limited internet, so I will not be able to upload a release for the mod until I get back. I am still going to be developing the mod but I shall only get 1 hour a day, plus I'm on a laptop which will make going a bit slower.

I shall try to get a final release out tomorrow or friday if I am able to, then it will be a week before you see another one!

So, here's what I'm finishing off today:

day:m9EOb4Q.jpgTelos now has clouds, plus I have worked the terrain so that the mountains are just as high but the base terrain is lower. This sorts out a few atmosphere bugs I wasn't very happy about.

I have also adjusted Telos's atmosphere curve so that it doesn't slam into you when you try and land, it's more gradual! Overall, Telos is nearly finished for this current sweep.

Tomorrow I am going to try and add some dust effects to the moons (It's a cloud layer but you can't see it from space). Hopefully that should go relatively well. Vega is definitely getting brown dust - not every moon will, though! I'm certain the smaller moons will

Edit: No release until next week.

Edited by Gamel0rd1