[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

@Gamel0rd1 I was hoping for another 9 taped to the end of your version tag. :sticktongue: But I'm glad you made it to 1.0. Congrats. Let the career threads begin!

Spoiler

I hope you modify and improve all the stock planets in some way. Otherwise it's not really an overhaul. :wink: 

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Gamel0rd1 I was hoping for another 9 taped to the end of your version tag. :sticktongue: But I'm glad you made it to 1.0. Congrats. Let the career threads begin!

Reveal hidden contents

I hope you modify and improve all the stock planets in some way. Otherwise it's not really an overhaul. :wink: 

Biome maps are definitely in progress. Well, the biome maps are completely finished!

O68pKyI.png

The configs are pretty much done, too, but I need to do a bit of tweaking to the science values before uploading version 1.0b. Science definitions won't be here for some time. Whenever I'm thinking of other planets or tweaks, I just type a few science defs to pass the time. Unfortunately because of the... 16 or so planets, I need... a LOT of lines of science definitions. Each planet has roughly 3 biomes, so... That's three times the work!

Now I need to sort out resources and asteroids in other belts, but I'll use CustomAsteroids for the latter. As for the resource distributions... I have absolutely no idea how to even add resources to a planet!

No release for today, but it shall be soon enough.

@Gamel0rd1 I don't need to see all of that but it's a nice read. I'm in the same boat regarding science definitions. As part of Galileo's team I have 27 planets/moons in my care and I've only managed to write science for every biome on the homeworld and its moons. I make no promises of science for the other worlds because I don't have -that- much talent as a writer. Only the worlds where everyone will be for most of the time (the homeworld or mascot planet(s)) matter. But I make up for it where I can by having the planet descriptions (and where possible, biome names too) provide exposition and add personality to the worlds.

Don't kill yourself by promising science definitions for every world-- not by yourself anyway. Invite others to contribute. Next: don't put out such frequent releases. Take your time and make your updates large and mature. Your fanbase will understand and will be patient, and when you do release an update, and everyone knows your speed by now, several matters will be addressed at once and that'll make more people happy at once. Finally, it also saves everyone (including you) the time and bandwidth per download per release.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Gamel0rd1 I don't need to see all of that but it's a nice read. I'm in the same boat regarding science definitions. As part of Galileo's team I have 27 planets/moons in my care and I've only managed to write science for every biome on the homeworld and its moons. I make no promises of science for the other worlds because I don't have -that- much talent as a writer. Only the worlds where everyone will be for most of the time (the homeworld or mascot planet(s)) matter. But I make up for it where I can by having the planet descriptions (and where possible, biome names too) provide exposition and add personality to the worlds.

Don't kill yourself by promising science definitions for every world-- not by yourself anyway. Invite others to contribute. Next: don't put out such frequent releases. Take your time and make your updates large and mature. Your fanbase will understand and will be patient, and when you do release an update, and everyone knows your speed by now, several matters will be addressed at once and that'll make more people happy at once. Finally, it also saves everyone (including you) the time and bandwidth per download per release.

That's quite interesting. I'll make updates less frequent, which might also reduce the amount of bugs that make it through release.

As for contributions, I'm happy for anyone to contribute anything they want to the mod. I don't make this overly public. Someone offered to create EVE textures for some planets roughly a month back, but I haven't had any response so I can only assume they stopped.

I'm not sure what to focus on next for the mod. A lot of bugs are gone, and I'm concerned about the file size. 1GB is what I would say is the mod's absolute limit, as I'll still wanting to add some moons around newer planets (Moho, Scorch, Sonus). Also I may delete or rework Balos completely. It's ugly. Whilst looking irradiated, nobody will actually want to land on it more than once.

I think Niebos is done for the most part. It's got moons and rings and the terrain is pretty much bug free.

I need to revisit Verex and some planet orbits because I know Dres and Olu'um get very close at times.

I'm also open to suggestions from anyone, and I have responded to a few ( I think   mentioned the idea for Niebietos, which is a complete success in my opinion.

Finally, when doing science definitions I try to be not only serious but also witty. "Some say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing, over and over, expecting a different result. But here you are, sampling rock looking bored out of your skull."

"You shake the mystery too canister around in the water. It leaks everywhere and you're left with an empty experiment. On the other hand, you decide to hide some recreational snacks inside to hide them from your crew."

"You look at the pictures from earth and wonder about taking a selfie outside the lander on Dread. Unfortunately, taking off your helmet would be a dread-full idea."

"You observe the 700°k temperatures on Scorch. Hey, it appears you can cook anything."

"Taking an Eva report in Volux's ocean, you feel a strange sensation as your suit begins to leak. Funnily enough, the water is corrosive."

And then the lore definition for carrying out ____ experiment on ____:

{Signal acquired} Decrypting... Hash-472/[Vessel-Lupet]: Distress call: .... Decrypt partial success... >>Read<< - "Appro..ing surface... 5... 4... ... 2... Aaand... Contact Light... Lander legs dep- " [LOG-:Capsule pressure exceeded critical] Pressurizing... Fail. Try#2 ... fail. [...] *Static...* END-OF-MISSION-LOG."

The above is lore and various types of mission failures and successes will be hidden in sciencedefs. Seems quite overly dramatic but it's nice to not only explore the planets, but also read up on their formation and previous missions to them.

Well sorry for the long read, that's what I'm working on kind of!

I have a few suggestions for some objects

1) 500km radius close orbit to sun (1/2 of moho).covered in lava with small patches of land. EVA only on higher elevations (>2000) due to heat. name is Magmar.

2) 100km radius idc as log as it will be cold. a bright Teal color with "lakes" of teal sludge.

3) 650km radius put the orbit where ever you want. due to a recent impact of a large asteroid, there is a thick layer of dust in the upper atmosphere which cool the planet a bit

3.1) orbits 3) 30km radius, comet recently captured by 3) is very unstable with constant eruptions of ice (via EVE)

4) moon of olu'um orbits very close 200km radius, has lava and huge volcano that reaches above the atmosphere (ade of gasses from said volcano) and then drops down to the lava in the volcanic crater.

If you could tell me what you think of my ideas that would be awesome :)

@Gamel0rd1 No problem. I don't mind that lengthy read and that's actually a great idea sprinkling some hilarious well-crafted science defs among the stock ones. My next suggestion is raise the biome counts for your worlds. It doesn't have to be by much since you've created.. 18 of them? But too many only have 3 biomes as you've shown and that's not good. Try not to get discouraged (if you're going to be) at the idea of having more biomes to sprinkle custom science for. :) 

Finally, it might be time to close the donation box on ideas for worlds to add. A good planet pack is better off with more substance to its few worlds than with merely having more worlds and overcrowding the stock solar system.

When you're ready for help with resource definitions feel free to PM me. My offers still stand.

Looks like the final name is in. I can finally work on a flag.

Perhaps something similar to the Galileo planet pack:

*404*

My idea is not so much of a flag (although it can be used in grand tours) but as more of a banner for the mod. Additionally, it can show off the different planets. 

I'm teaching myself how to do a bit of modeling. If I can figure out which program is best for making things for KSP, I might be able to help make some anomalies, Easter eggs, and terrain scatters. 

Perhaps for Volux the scatters could be rubble from buildings, hinting toward the long-gone civilization.

Quick question: how advanced should that civilization be? I could make rubble look like bricks, or I can go with a more alien, sci-fi thing. 

For the sci-fi approach, I could try to do something like the precursor bases in the game Subnautica:

*404 picture doesn't cooperate*

Of course, I won't do the full bases; that'd be way too much work. But I'm talking about the style. Just having chunks with patterns like those. Nothing too spectacular. Just enough to make people conclude:

*"aliens" guy*

Perhaps I could make one structure as an Easter egg.

What do you think? Yay? Nay? Any suggestions?

*edit*:

ah crap. Images didn't load. Will post later. For now, either use google or your imagination.

Edited by Raptor22
Gosh darn it pictures won't load

1 hour ago, Raptor22 said:

Looks like the final name is in. I can finally work on a flag.

Perhaps something similar to the Galileo planet pack:

*404*

My idea is not so much of a flag (although it can be used in grand tours) but as more of a banner for the mod. Additionally, it can show off the different planets. 

I'm teaching myself how to do a bit of modeling. If I can figure out which program is best for making things for KSP, I might be able to help make some anomalies, Easter eggs, and terrain scatters. 

Perhaps for Volux the scatters could be rubble from buildings, hinting toward the long-gone civilization.

Quick question: how advanced should that civilization be? I could make rubble look like bricks, or I can go with a more alien, sci-fi thing. 

For the sci-fi approach, I could try to do something like the precursor bases in the game Subnautica:

*404 picture doesn't cooperate*

Of course, I won't do the full bases; that'd be way too much work. But I'm talking about the style. Just having chunks with patterns like those. Nothing too spectacular. Just enough to make people conclude:

*"aliens" guy*

Perhaps I could make one structure as an Easter egg.

What do you think? Yay? Nay? Any suggestions?

*edit*:

ah crap. Images didn't load. Will post later. For now, either use google or your imagination.

Volux had a humanoid civilisation. Scatters would be rubble and perhaps industrial parts (pipes, gears and so on). Maybe rocket parts too

20 minutes ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

Volux had a humanoid civilisation. Scatters would be rubble and perhaps industrial parts (pipes, gears and so on). Maybe rocket parts too

Aww...

So nothing like this?

precursor-gun-1.jpg

(If it doesn't show up, look at some of the galleries here: https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/precursor-update/)

Darn! All of the ideas... gone.

However, maybe you could have something like that on Niebos. Especially something like the the giant precursor cannon, also in Subnautica:

2000?cb=20161217133545

(http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Quarantine_Enforcement_Platform) Well, it's technically called the Quarantine Enforcement Platform, but I like to call it the big ****ing gun, since that's what it is.

Judging by the easter eggs, it sounds like something serious went down. Perhaps...

ALIENS.

So many ideas! I used to be pretty savvy with modeling, but that was for mechanical drafting using SolidWorks. Quite different from making models for games. However, many of them have similar things. Perhaps I can start working on a few things... as soon as I figure out how to renew my Solidworks license... Darn you software licensing!

Who knows. You could incorporate it together. Aliens from Niebos invade Volux and destroy everything, then something causes almost all of them to die out on Niebos. 

58 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

Aww...

So nothing like this?

precursor-gun-1.jpg

(If it doesn't show up, look at some of the galleries here: https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/precursor-update/)

Darn! All of the ideas... gone.

However, maybe you could have something like that on Niebos. Especially something like the the giant precursor cannon, also in Subnautica:

2000?cb=20161217133545

(http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Quarantine_Enforcement_Platform) Well, it's technically called the Quarantine Enforcement Platform, but I like to call it the big ****ing gun, since that's what it is.

Judging by the easter eggs, it sounds like something serious went down. Perhaps...

ALIENS.

So many ideas! I used to be pretty savvy with modeling, but that was for mechanical drafting using SolidWorks. Quite different from making models for games. However, many of them have similar things. Perhaps I can start working on a few things... as soon as I figure out how to renew my Solidworks license... Darn you software licensing!

Who knows. You could incorporate it together. Aliens from Niebos invade Volux and destroy everything, then something causes almost all of them to die out on Niebos. 

Those ideas are awesome. That's exactly what happened to Volux. It got polluted. War from other planets could have caused ocean pollution from wreckage. Giant power or processing stations to create liquid fuel and oxidiser could have been destroyed.

The lore from Niebos's mountains could have been a Volux launched ship crashing because it was a 'Generation Ship' - a ship that carried the last intelligent species from Volux to Niebos in hope of life, which crashed.

On today's 'news'!

I'm working on one of the last few planets, based off mars, but with a more tectonic feel.

TfoSmYH.jpg

LIxvzGU.jpg

I'm still working out the heightmap and all that jazz, then it's biomes and definitions for everything. I was watching a few Vsauce videos and SpaceX streams and I feel like the martian colours look awesome. Well, this will be a full sized planet roughly to Mars's scale.

Not sure where to put it, though, so I'm open to suggestions!

@Gamel0rd1 cool! Made in After Effects.

I'd like to mention that I tried to make sense of YouTube's translation of Italian in KerbalItalia's review of this mod. One thing I managed to catch is "Why does Scorch have snowy peaks with 700K temperature?" You may be overdoing the white mountaintops like you're doing right now. :wink: 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

55 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Gamel0rd1 cool! Made in After Effects.

I'd like to mention that I tried to make sense of YouTube's translation of Italian in KerbalItalia's review of this mod. One thing I managed to catch is "Why does Scorch have snowy peaks with 700K temperature?" You may be overdoing the white mountaintops like you're doing right now. :wink: 

I noticed the snowy peaks, too. I could make it grey for bare rock, or sandy? I don't really want it to be red like the surrounding rock, though, because it won't look as diverse. I'm not sure!

Hello everyone! Just finishing up on the terrain and textures of the new martian planet (Thelai).

Since @Raptor22 has an eagle eye for pole pinching, I have worked very hard at getting rid of pretty much all of it, down to just 50M across! That's nothing, and completely invisible in the map view!

I've had to severely brighten the images because the planet gets hardly any light on its top surface.

HiTIyY4.jpg

0R3PtW4.png

And here is the main planetary body! RINGS!

f9YSKLM.jpg

fSBGZEZ.jpg  

Looks a lot like a dried up Telos! I'm quite happy with this one, too, as it's hopefully realistic. The mountains are highest at the equator similarly to Flak, but more pronounced and thicker. Beyond that, the craters are quite deep. Some are huge, others quite small. And i think I got a good amount of colour variation in here!

Edited by Gamel0rd1

You just keep rolling out planets!

at this rate, it might not be a bad idea to have the "packs" I was talking about. They can serve to cut down on download time (so when an update fixing one planet comes out, we don't have to download all of them  and wait an hour all over again) and allow people to pick-and-choose.

Don't like a planet? Don't need it! 

Playing on a potato battery?  No(t as much of a) problem! Choose a few.

You could have one big master download, then some other smaller ones.

BTW, for Volux, you could try to mess around with SVE/EVE and make radiation storms! Just add low, slow-ish moving bands of green clouds. While it wouldn't physically do anything to the ship or kerbals, it'd look awesome! Give it more of a "wasteland" feel. Make you have an urge to grab a Pip-boy and some Rad-X. :D

I've seen people do similar things to add dust storms to Duna.

3 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

You just keep rolling out planets!

at this rate, it might not be a bad idea to have the "packs" I was talking about. They can serve to cut down on download time (so when an update fixing one planet comes out, we don't have to download all of them  and wait an hour all over again) and allow people to pick-and-choose.

Don't like a planet? Don't need it! 

Playing on a potato battery?  No(t as much of a) problem! Choose a few.

You could have one big master download, then some other smaller ones.

BTW, for Volux, you could try to mess around with SVE/EVE and make radiation storms! Just add low, slow-ish moving bands of green clouds. While it wouldn't physically do anything to the ship or kerbals, it'd look awesome! Give it more of a "wasteland" feel. Make you have an urge to grab a Pip-boy and some Rad-X. :D

I've seen people do similar things to add dust storms to Duna.

Volux has its hurricane and I might leave it at that, though I could recolour its main clouds to grey or black or pollution coloured. As for your suggestion about multiple packs, I don't really want to do that.

For a few reasons. The first being that it's hard to manage. Others being compatability issues (It's extremely difficult to put correct files into the ZIP. Filtering files and whatnot will get tedious and hard to manage accurately each upload. As well as this I need to update every single mod page for the packs, which takes longer than uploading the mod as it is.

For people downloading, I'm going a bit easier on their internet now - uploads once a week every Sunday.

Alright then.

(darn, my Fallout joke was for nothing...)

Well, less frequent updates are good. It cuts down on the barrage and allows you more time to iron out the wrinkles and exterminate the bugs. Being honest, you're one of the fastest-updating mod makers I know! 

34 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

Alright then.

(darn, my Fallout joke was for nothing...)

Well, less frequent updates are good. It cuts down on the barrage and allows you more time to iron out the wrinkles and exterminate the bugs. Being honest, you're one of the fastest-updating mod makers I know! 

I don't know whether that's a good thing or not!

I don't want it to be that I rush things, as I sometimes have a tendency to do so! Sundays shall be 'update day' unless something goes horribly wrong on the last day. I think most of the planets are done (I said that what, 6 planets ago?), just some moons and it's all complete. Though moons won't come every release so don't get too scared about file sizes *just yet!*

(I also don't play fallout so I didn't get that reference!)

Edited by Gamel0rd1

Outstanding pack! Reading through the history thread, I thought I was missing something when looking at the dates. You move FAST!

I'll admit that I cheated a bit and took a tour through the planets with 'set orbit' to get some in-game feel for stuff. Great details! One thing I did notice, not sure if it's on purpose or not since I've only played for a couple of hours, but something around Olu'um causes me to overheat and explode even if I'm quite a way out from the planet and rings. I saw significant heating and ablation on a heat shield. I'll try to grab a screen shot. If I just haven't found out why that is, yet, feel free to tell me and I'll drop it.

All in all, great work! Really enjoying playing through this, so far!

2 hours ago, Submho said:

Outstanding pack! Reading through the history thread, I thought I was missing something when looking at the dates. You move FAST!

I'll admit that I cheated a bit and took a tour through the planets with 'set orbit' to get some in-game feel for stuff. Great details! One thing I did notice, not sure if it's on purpose or not since I've only played for a couple of hours, but something around Olu'um causes me to overheat and explode even if I'm quite a way out from the planet and rings. I saw significant heating and ablation on a heat shield. I'll try to grab a screen shot. If I just haven't found out why that is, yet, feel free to tell me and I'll drop it.

All in all, great work! Really enjoying playing through this, so far!

Thank you!

I think Olu'um's temperature is a little too hot, so I'll knock it down a bit so you stop losing ablator on Verex and the inner planets.

Olu'um is nearly massive enough and nearly heavy enough to ignite into a red dwarf star, which is why it's hot.

5 hours ago, Theglitchofthekraken said:

I think there should be a small (very small, to be exact) asteroid-like body that is bigger than a class e asteroid but smaller than the smallest moon.

And very very low gravity.

:)

Do keep in mind that the SOI of an object is basically the gravitational balance between it and the body it orbits. For an asteroid you have to get really, REALLY close for the asteroid's gravity to overcome that of it's parent planet.

Here are some handy fomula's for this kind of thing.

https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/5ada846f6254501886a6c70f2b84c0419e1e7fbc

The SOI, and here is the formula for the roche limit (the minimum orbit for a moon to not be torn apart by tidal forces)

https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/0631607010e0025e6a8ceb9d8305ba5423b3d2d4