[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

41 minutes ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

:0.0: That looks absolutely Beautful!

I just found a good looking cloud layer from SpaceEngine. Then I polar distorted the texture and applied a twitch distort, then reversed the distortion

(It only took 20 minutes heh)

So this is going from additional planets to a thing like the Galileo planet pack, where it replaces stock planets. I mean, you just replaced Kerbin.

Honestly, I liked the older versions a bit better. The skybox that's in the new version is too purple-y for my taste. It looks amazing, but the direction it's going in now just isn't my taste. 

Great work, but I must say that I'll be sticking with the older versions.

39 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

So this is going from additional planets to a thing like the Galileo planet pack, where it replaces stock planets. I mean, you just replaced Kerbin.

Honestly, I liked the older versions a bit better. The skybox that's in the new version is too purple-y for my taste. It looks amazing, but the direction it's going in now just isn't my taste. 

Great work, but I must say that I'll be sticking with the older versions.

Hmm - your feedback is very good. I was in two minds for replacing kerbin. I definitely expected some to abandon the mod as it took this turn, which is why Gaia (kerbin), Gol (Mun) and Gullis (Minmus) are contained in a separate folder.

By doing this it means if you don't want kerbin replaced, simply delete Olei-Gaia from your folder and the Mun, Minmus and Kerbin will return to normal.

The mod will still function without those folders, but Eve and Scatterer might pick up on it. You can remove Gaia's entry from Scatterer > Configs > PlanetList.cfg and everything should return to normal completely.

You can delete TextureReplacer from Gamedata to remove the skybox.

That way you can keep up to date with the planets and science and keep the stock system intact - hopefully it is worth the effort.

I knew some people would be against my decision to replace kerbin but, again, they have the option to opt out by deleting Olei-Gaia. I hope this doesn't put you off the pack completely. 

Final note: No more stock bodies will be replaced, it's just the Kerbin system getting that change 

- Gameslinx.

Edited by Gameslinx

3 minutes ago, MatrixVirus said:

Is the new how planet going to break contracts or mess up career progression?

The new 'how' planet? You mean the one that replaces Kerbin, called Gaia?

That was released yesterday

It will not break career progression or contracts. Contracts will originate from Gaia instead of Kerbin, and the science values are the same for each biome as on Kerbin.

Haha, Home* planet. Epic typo sorry :P I'm loading it now and checking it out... there were some contract packs that stopped working with other planet mods that change the home planet, the BD armory missions that spawn in a bunch of stuff to shoot at come to mind. I'll let you know what I discover after the game loads.  I'm running around 120 mods so I'll see you sometimes next week.

8 minutes ago, MatrixVirus said:

Haha, Home* planet. Epic typo sorry :P I'm loading it now and checking it out... there were some contract packs that stopped working with other planet mods that change the home planet, the BD armory missions that spawn in a bunch of stuff to shoot at come to mind. I'll let you know what I discover after the game loads.  I'm running around 120 mods so I'll see you sometimes next week.

PSEUDOCODE

Homeworld = flightGlobalIndex(1)
  If (contractWeight = 0)
  {
    Mission = Random(1,10)
    assignMission(Mission)
      If Homeworld != Kerbin
    Homeworld = [[Get:Set] <Homeworld Name>]
  }
//The above is prefferred
Homeworld = Kerbin
  <...>
  //this causes the contract to specify KERBIN as the larent body, and not Gaia as the code never fetches the starter body's name.

It all depends on how the contract code is set up. If it is configured to only Kerbin (bottom code), the game will want you to visit kerbin, kopenicus will realise Kerbin isn't loaded, and then the game will freak out.

The top pseudocode fetches the parent body (starting body, or homeworld)'s name, which is used when generating the contract.

The Niebos terrain overhaul is complete. I found the constant rolling hills a bit to bland and samey, so I've played around with SpaceEngine textures and some PQSMods to make the planet look a lot better:

AJLhltI.png

OAVyg4S.png

Edited by Gameslinx

I know it's likely due to the realistic element, the orbit of gaia seems to differ from the stock game. I am using the kerbol plus planet pack along with this pack. And a planet (harvest) which is on the same orbit as Kerbin. But with this planet pack it is un-synchronized and i hope if possible, you can help to patch this. I know this is a very minor change and you can take it lower on your priorities. Thank you very much for this awesome pack and keep up the good job!

13 minutes ago, manngai22 said:

I know it's likely due to the realistic element, the orbit of gaia seems to differ from the stock game. I am using the kerbol plus planet pack along with this pack. And a planet (harvest) which is on the same orbit as Kerbin. But with this planet pack it is un-synchronized and i hope if possible, you can help to patch this. I know this is a very minor change and you can take it lower on your priorities. Thank you very much for this awesome pack and keep up the good job!

Can you tell me what the altitude says when you hover over Gaia in the map view?

27 minutes ago, manngai22 said:

13,722,579,719 meters compared to 13 599 840 256 meters as said in the wiki. thank you for responding to my post, now back to my plans to crash a class E asteroid into Butai :^)

Ah that was my doing to make sure the planet loaded. If you want to fix it before I release the next update, go to your gamedata and make this simple change:

Gamedata > Olei-gaia > configs > Gaia.cfg. Open Gaia.cfg with a text editor. Now find SemiMajorAxis and change it to the Wiki altitude value

Notice:

Hey everyone. Development over this week will be a bit slower and Sunday's update won't have as much content added as usual. This is because I'm feeling a little disheartened (nothing KSP related) and feel like I should take a small break. For the last 3 months I have spent nearly every week (apart from a week when I was away) working on average 6 hours each day. Because the project is mostly developed by myself alone (credit where it is due to those who have contributed - I am extremely thankful to those individuals) it has begun to overwhelm me in terms of my other free time to just 'chill'. 

I'm going to be responding to messages on the forums, but for a few days I'm going to pause development so I have a chance to work on some other projects and get ready for when school starts again on Monday.

I'll post another update when I'm beginning development again - please don't feel like I'm abandoning the project, I'll be back to normal in 2-3 days at most.

Thanks for understanding

- Gameslinx.

Edited by Gameslinx

So I have found that while stock contracts appear to be working (I don't play with them normally), addon contract packs largely do not work.  I've looked around at the .CFGs and most of them call for Kerbin, some of them spawn in things that probably wouldn't be in the right place anyways (is your KSC in the same coordinates? Not sure how that all works).  I have some that rely on KerbinSide which I was obviously not expecting to work.  I have a progression pack that calls for the 4th planet from the sun for some flyby/base building/rover contracts, which is normally Duna but not anymore, so its asking you to send a rover to the planet you're already on lol.  I think I can get most of them to work by editing the planet name but the contracts that spawn in things will probably be above my immediate skill level (willing to learn though!).  Also any contract that require use of the island airstrip is of course also broken.

I'll try to learn how some of this works and make patches if I can figure out how to use KerbalKonstructs maybe even get kerbin-side bases placed somewhere? I dunno.

1 minute ago, MatrixVirus said:

So I have found that while stock contracts appear to be working (I don't play with them normally), addon contract packs largely do not work.  I've looked around at the .CFGs and most of them call for Kerbin, some of them spawn in things that probably wouldn't be in the right place anyways (is your KSC in the same coordinates? Not sure how that all works).  I have some that rely on KerbinSide which I was obviously not expecting to work.  I have a progression pack that calls for the 4th planet from the sun for some flyby/base building/rover contracts, which is normally Duna but not anymore, so its asking you to send a rover to the planet you're already on lol.  I think I can get most of them to work by editing the planet name but the contracts that spawn in things will probably be above my immediate skill level (willing to learn though!).  Also any contract that require use of the island airstrip is of course also broken.

I'll try to learn how some of this works and make patches if I can figure out how to use KerbalKonstructs maybe even get kerbin-side bases placed somewhere? I dunno.

That is the issue with contract packs at the moment. They don't usually generate contracts depending on what the home planet is. I'm afraid for now you're going to need to sort the issue by rooting around in the config files. Eventually I'll add support for customised contracts if possible.

(Please read my above notice)

Just now, Gameslinx said:

That is the issue with contract packs at the moment. They don't usually generate contracts depending on what the home planet is. I'm afraid for now you're going to need to sort the issue by rooting around in the config files. Eventually I'll add support for customised contracts if possible.

(Please read my above notice)

Yep that's what I seem to be finding.  I'm willing to learn/help make some compatibility changes assuming its permitted by the contract authors.

7 hours ago, TheWanderer05 said:

Duuuuude that Gol text easter egg was clever. Well played.

Too bad it reads backwards, though.

Yeah I noticed it reads backwards as well. Adds more to the mystery, right? No? :P

I'm glad you found it :)

Thought I'd post this in case anyone else is having issues with EVE and SVE and this pack without Gala.

To get it to work the install order needs to be KSP, Module Manager, Gameslinx Planet Overhaul (without the Olei-Gala folder), (Outer Planets Mod if you use it), EVE, SVE, SVE Textures, Scatterer and then the linked patch. Through all of the installs overwrite all files. You then can install other mods after that.

It gets EVE to work, but some scatterer effects might be missing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6jrmA4knAizOHdlU1YxWEFSVlU/view?usp=sharing

15 hours ago, DragonRoco said:

Thought I'd post this in case anyone else is having issues with EVE and SVE and this pack without Gala.

To get it to work the install order needs to be KSP, Module Manager, Gameslinx Planet Overhaul (without the Olei-Gala folder), (Outer Planets Mod if you use it), EVE, SVE, SVE Textures, Scatterer and then the linked patch. Through all of the installs overwrite all files. You then can install other mods after that.

It gets EVE to work, but some scatterer effects might be missing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6jrmA4knAizOHdlU1YxWEFSVlU/view?usp=sharing

Oh no SVE eek. Nah it should be alright, but it will interfere with the stock planets.

To fix removing Gaia to stop eve and scatterer going mental, do this:

1) Delete Olei-Gaia

2) go to Scatterer > Configs > PlanetList.cfg and REMOVE the entry for Gaia{...}. Don't bother deleting Gaia from the scatterer > Configs > Planets, there's no need

3) go to Olei > Eve > Atmosphere > Clouds.cfg and remove the entry for Gaia. Close that and open Auroras.cfg and remove Gaia from there, too.

Soon I'll separate the dependencies completely so that to remove you can just delete Olei-Gaia. I'll try and work on that for Sunday using a MM script patch.

Still loving this mod, having a great time with it. 

However, I've noticed something that was slightly niggling me, there was no science differences for most of the planets/moons both in space or flying High/Low, it was just High only and Low was only 1m altitude.  So I created my own modified config files to rectify this where it was not present in your settings and I thought I'd share it so you can integrate it or discount it, but these make it much better for the Olemut Space station not having to orbit at 1m altitude :-).

You can download the configs from the link below, they're aligned to version 1.5a, to apply them just paste the contents into the Gamedata directory:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/foguqmrcveu2p8c/Olei Modified Thresholds.zip?dl=0

A Google sheet with all the modifications can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q9jzpARdI1BkVt-QMF8qqKBNRJ9zU8aB-Mby8v-SE18/edit?usp=sharing

@Gameslinx Feel free to include them in the mod if you'd like to use them, I've not created any new Science Definitions for these, maybe later...

Edited by narvster

26 minutes ago, narvster said:

Still loving this mod, having a great time with it. 

However, I've noticed something that was slightly niggling me, there was no science differences for most of the planets/moons both in space or flying High/Low, it was just High only and Low was only 1m altitude.  So I created my own modified config files to rectify this where it was not present in your settings and I thought I'd share it so you can integrate it or discount it, but it make it much better for the Olemut Space station.

You can download the configs from the link below, they're aligned to version 1.5a, to apply them just paste the contents into the Gamedata directory:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/foguqmrcveu2p8c/Olei Modified Thresholds.zip?dl=0

A Google sheet with all the modifications can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q9jzpARdI1BkVt-QMF8qqKBNRJ9zU8aB-Mby8v-SE18/edit?usp=sharing

@Gameslinx Feel free to include them in the mod if you'd like to use them, I've not created any new Science Definitions for these, maybe later...

Thank you very much!

I'll take a look at them tomorrow morning when I'm developing again (read above reply on Tuesday)