[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

17 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

This is because KLE PQSMods used by GPO cannot be found thus the code is declared invalid and skipped, meaning that the terrain differs.

To be honest only one of the planets use KLE, which is Fume. Only fume wouldn't load as far as I know, unless KLE works similarly to FlightGlobalsIndex values (removing one shakes up everything).

I reckon it's Linux. I'll check case-sensitivity and take a look.

Edit:

Confirmed. Case sensitivity seems to be the 'case' (heh) here @Jetski! That's why Dread couldn't parse the config node because Linux is saying "I'm telling you, man, this file path is invalid!".

I'll tag you again when I've patched this, should be in an hour or two :)

Downloaded what I think is the new patch (Gameslinxs_Planet_Overhaul_Stockalike_Planet_Pack-1.99a.zip)

fresh install of 1.2.2 KSP from the zip

Installed mod from the zip, nothing else

Still black screen at KSC.  Dang!

Also tried deleting the Olei-Gaia folder, still same issue.  Bummer.

9 minutes ago, Jetski said:

Downloaded what I think is the new patch (Gameslinxs_Planet_Overhaul_Stockalike_Planet_Pack-1.99a.zip)

fresh install of 1.2.2 KSP from the zip

Installed mod from the zip, nothing else

Still black screen at KSC.  Dang!

Also tried deleting the Olei-Gaia folder, still same issue.  Bummer.

Unless there's something else at play, that should have worked.

Sorry mate :( I'll try my best to keep looking

PS: Could you upload your KSP > logs > Gaia.body.log OR Kerbin.body.log. Both is even better 

Edited by Gameslinx

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kvq32cdaly9n6t/Kerbin.Body.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol93w43tvizjt5q/Gaia's Belt.Asteroid.log?dl=0

So this is interesting.  I don't have a Gaia.Body.log at all, only a Gaia's Asteroid belt log.  Is it possible that the punctuation in the file name is causing a problem?  Linux can be picky about that stuff.  Hope this helps.  Also, if all this stuff is changing for 1.3, don't waste your time on it, I can wait for an update :)  If the troubleshooting helps, I'll be happy to keep testing though.  Also, my startup screen doesn't have rings:41JrI0h.png

o79s60j.png

Edited by Jetski

11 minutes ago, Jetski said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kvq32cdaly9n6t/Kerbin.Body.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol93w43tvizjt5q/Gaia's Belt.Asteroid.log?dl=0

So this is interesting.  I don't have a Gaia.Body.log at all, only a Gaia's Asteroid belt log.  Is it possible that the punctuation in the file name is causing a problem?  Linux can be picky about that stuff.  Hope this helps.  Also, if all this stuff is changing for 1.3, don't waste your time on it, I can wait for an update :)  If the troubleshooting helps, I'll be happy to keep testing though.  Also, my startup screen doesn't have rings:41JrI0h.png

o79s60j.png

Kopernicus hasn't thrown an exception when loading Gaia. Gaia's config is Kerbin's config, I forgot that before. Gaia loaded properly, so it's likely something else went wrong with one of the other planets. It would be nice to take a look at your new Kopernicus.log to see if more planets loaded after the update I released. If more planets loaded, I did something right :)

Thanks for going to the effort of providing the logs as I'm sure it can be frustrating :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fycjgyydijx3rf1/Kopernicus.log?dl=0

Happy to help.  I know the challenges of cross platform compatibility testing :)  Nothing worse than not being able to recreate an error for yourself.

It seems to have worked. Capitalisation is definitely the issue here. I'll put up a patch to dropbox when I do some more checks in their configs and tag you :)

14 minutes ago, Jetski said:

Dread didn't load because of capitalisation on its Dread_biome. I must have not saved Dread by accident. All biome maps are <Planet_biome>. Dread_biome was set to Dread_Biome, causing the problem.

Quarta and Vulcan were missing capitalisation on the heightmap, which I likely overlooked last night :)

EDIT: Vulcan's biome map was spelt 'Vulkan', because it seems I wasn't able to spell on that day!

Patched. I'll upload the configs only such that my internet doesn't murder me. You'll need to drop them in Gamedata > Olei > Configs, replacing the three files. Let me know how that goes and if you're still getting that black screen :) 

CONFIGS:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kb4es6is1e4q6s9/Linux Config Fixes for DQV.zip?dl=0

Edited by Gameslinx

13 minutes ago, Jetski said:

Almost there!  Still black screen, but everything loaded except Vulcan this time

UdNC20f.png

Open up Flare.cfg with a text editor. Find 'Vulcan_biome'. Simply swap the " c " in Vulcan for a " k ", so it reads Vulkan_biome

Upon checking, the biome map is actually spelt how I misspelt it, so....... Yep! That should cause Vulcan to load, as the other fix I had to do to it is already applied.

Edited by Gameslinx

8 minutes ago, Jetski said:

Still some weirdness going on with Gaia/Kerbin surface in Map view and on the startup screen, I'll mess with settings and see if I can get it to go away

HWJnJeX.png

Could you see if that happens on any other planets? Might be just the atmospheric planets. Glad it's working at least :)

Update, if I make any kind of adjustment in Graphic setting in game, the annoying graphics lines all go away and don't come back.  Adding or removing EVE, scatterer, or TWG folders has no effect.  Totally playable :):)

Also, it's normal that all the stock planets are still in their normal places, right?  Just lots of new ones?  I'll read up on the OP to confirm.  I'm doing a full playthrough on these new planets, very exciting

11 minutes ago, Jetski said:

Also, it's normal that all the stock planets are still in their normal places, right?  Just lots of new ones?  I'll read up on the OP to confirm.  I'm doing a full playthrough on these new planets, very exciting

Oh, if that fixes it that's great :). I'm happy to help!

Only Kerbin, Mun and Minmus are altered. Everything else is just more planets :wink: 

To confirm, if I go to settings/graphics and adjust to 1/8 res, hit apply, adjust it back, hit apply everything is good to go.  Career has begun!

The issue might lie in how Linux decodes .dds formats. it might not be able to work around the compression method, resulting in those weird lines. I hope it doesn't get too tedius to constantly adjust the graphics settings!

Have fun and thanks for helping me solve this :)

Starting a mission thread here so I don't keep spamming the thread :)

So far Gaia looks amazing, I'll keep updating the mission report as I explore the system.  I'm getting a little lag so I may have to throttle back my graphics or dump EVE and scatterer, I'll keep you posted.  Totally playable though.

22 minutes ago, Jetski said:

Starting a mission thread here so I don't keep spamming the thread :)

So far Gaia looks amazing, I'll keep updating the mission report as I explore the system.  I'm getting a little lag so I may have to throttle back my graphics or dump EVE and scatterer, I'll keep you posted.  Totally playable though.

if you want to cut down the lag, EVE is doing most of that. Removing EVE should be alright if you have to :)

OK, initial report so far so good.  Removed EVE and it improved gameplay quite a bit.  One bug I found is if you EVA in a polar orbit near Gaia the space around Bob starts flashing psychedelic colors rapidly.  It doesn't appear to matter if a planet or rings are in the frame, and it doesn't happen in low orbit, but it's a bit startling when I was harvesting high orbit sci.  I can't get a screenshot as it is flashing on and off, but fairly easy to recreate.  Part of the problem is my laptop is an actual potato.  Likely a low-end graphics card issue or something. Edit: I now can't recreate this issue - Bob can now EVA to his hearts content out by the orbit of Olei.  Maybe it's only active inside the radius of the rings or something

My other suggestion is to see how the game decides to offer contracts for bodies in order.  I barely made LKO and the next contract was to Explore Olu'um, which is far out of reach, kinda like getting offered Explore Jool before the Mun or Minmus.  Not sure if this is something you have any control over, but would be better to get some contracts for the local moons first.

Great job on the surface textures by the way, some of the shots I'm getting look like art :)

Edited by Jetski

2 hours ago, Jetski said:

My other suggestion is to see how the game decides to offer contracts for bodies in order.  I barely made LKO and the next contract was to Explore Olu'um, which is far out of reach, kinda like getting offered Explore Jool before the Mun or Minmus.  Not sure if this is something you have any control over, but would be better to get some contracts for the local moons first.

I have no control over this, sorry.

There's usually an Olu'um contract (which is likely infamous) that pops up early-career. Some people say this also happens in Galileo's mod, so I'm not sure.

As for the flickering, that would likely be the ring shader. I'm disabling this for 1.3 because at times, it flickers for me, too. :)

15 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

The issue might lie in how Linux decodes .dds formats. it might not be able to work around the compression method, resulting in those weird lines. I hope it doesn't get too tedius to constantly adjust the graphics settings!

Have fun and thanks for helping me solve this :)

Give this a read. 

Edited by Galileo

11 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Give this a read. 

Thanks.  I'll move them out and check the load times.

@Jetski if the loading times are too high when I move stuff outside of PluginData, I won't be doing that in the official release because everyone will run here and complain. I might get a Linux build which I upload to DropBox every now and then for Linux and/or Mac users.