[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

59 minutes ago, alphaprior said:
My GameData Folder as it is now with latest Kopernicus.
https://imgur.com/a/3zppd

Have you uploaded the updated version for Kopernicus 1.3.1-6?

You don't have GPO installed

You're using opmvo which is not compatible with gpo's visuals

I haven't uploaded the new Kopernicus version yet because the old Kopernicus works fine and I'd like to fix some bugs before releasing the newest GPO.

3 hours ago, baconfortress said:

Getting ready to get my science and exploration started, beginning with Gaia and its moons, saving oluum and its stuff for last

Figured id link the space station orbiting gaia Im gonna use as a base of operations. Love this mod!

vPJz8yT.jpg

I've never been able to build good looking stations - that looks awesome!

The station is only the one of a series of craft in my M.R.V (Mission relay vehicle) System. It orbits Gaia (which I treat as a new solar system for narrative purposes in my design) and that main station receives new fuel and equipment from the original kerbin system.

The other parts of the M.R.V system each have a specialized role. Please keep in mind in this photo the scale is not the same across them, if you look closely you can see the first three are quite a bit larger than the other two. The large cylinder sections are cargo holds. 

Second from the left is the lunar colonizer module (designed in this case for Thelai) which contains a suite of vehicles, mining modules, habitats, and a processing facility contained within the lander at the bottom and triple storage bays. The central fuel pod is designed to be discarded when the bottom section detaches from the top. The top section is for docking with shuttlecraft and contains a probe for exploring thelais surface before the main landing, in addition to a 9 man crew in cryo stasis and a nuclear reactor. The larger bottom fuel tank is used for multiple landing refuels for the attached lander at the very bottom.

The next is a similar design, but for an atmospheric colony, since the landing vehicle is not part of this relay vehicle, it can slim down its fuel requirements as well and the docking port for the lander is used as an engine. The entire bottom fuel and engine assembly is discarded upon established orbit (designed for dreidos and neibos) and the vehicle splits in two, one portion containing an exploratory probe for the relevant planets moon, as well as a 9 man crew in cryo and a shuttle dock for arriving craft, while the other contains the myriad of habitats, vehicles and mining equipment. The aircraft necessary to deliver the heavy modules arrives separate from the M.R.V., unlike its lunar counterpart, which is incorporated into the M.R.V.

The 4th is designed for use assisting manned landing expeditions in which no colony is being established. It is used both for lunar and atmospheric exploration (Currently Flak and sonus). Once in safe orbit the fuel and drive section is discarded and the lunar probe deployed to the relevant planets moon. Like all M.R.V the top docking section contains extensive fuel supplies, which are used to fuel landing craft for their expedition, and refuel them for departure at the completion of the mission. It likewise contains 4 crew in cryo.

The Final M.R.V is designed to dock with my simpler shuttlecraft (seen docked on several of these) and does not contain any cryo crew. It contains fuel supplies necessary to fuel the shuttles for lunar landings, and like the others a probe craft to explore the smaller moons. This was designed for Gaia's moons

It is likely missions to quarta, scorch, and olu'um and its planets will have a different set of designs, but I may reuse some. 

1zp314Z.jpg

Hotfix incoming hopefully tomorrow evening to fix some randomly occurring graphical bugs on dread and olemut.

Terrain may change slightly as the noise mod used could be bugged or contains a syntax error. Nothing drastic. I'll likely convert to a heightmap and use that instead of the procedural aspect of the terrain to minimize terrain alterations.

Let me know if you've encountered this bug (disappearing terrain under certain altitude) on which planet and where if possible.

On 2/20/2018 at 2:42 PM, Gameslinx said:

Hotfix incoming hopefully tomorrow evening to fix some randomly occurring graphical bugs on dread and olemut.

Terrain may change slightly as the noise mod used could be bugged or contains a syntax error. Nothing drastic. I'll likely convert to a heightmap and use that instead of the procedural aspect of the terrain to minimize terrain alterations.

Let me know if you've encountered this bug (disappearing terrain under certain altitude) on which planet and where if possible.

WIll this update include compatibility for the latest Kopernicus or is that coming at a later date?

3 hours ago, Sentrus said:

WIll this update include compatibility for the latest Kopernicus or is that coming at a later date?

It depends. There aren't really any advantages in switching to the new Kopernicus for you guys, so it isn't a massive priority.

It depends on whether I can get the oceanFX node working again or not

1 hour ago, The Cuttlefish Empire said:

1) if bundling kopernicus, stop thats bad

2) if not bundling kopernicus, its best you make it compatible so people dont have issues

wh-

What? What sort of points are those??

For your first point, I go by my rule that I will bundle everything for the mod to function in one download. This eliminates nearly all cases of bad installation AND difficulty for the user. It's all about being user friendly. Nothing stops me from bundling Kopernicus, and in this case it is actually better, and this is exactly why I do it - the mod still works if the dependency updates. I don't have any control over the .netkan, i physically cannot change it. I recommend manually installing ANY planet mod. It just so happens that Kopernicus updated and this isn't accounted for in the .netkan because of major core changes to kopernicus which mean i need to rewrite a lot of my configs, which i no easy feat.

For your second point, that's exactly what i'm doing right now. 

GPO has updated to 3.2.

Important Notice - File structure changes. New dependencies. Do not use CKAN until you hear otherwise.

• Updated Kopernicus dependency to 1.3.1-6

• Added "Screamer" which will politely let you know when YOU'RE USING INCOMPATIBLE MODS

• Replaced LSM with Sigma Loading Screens. Credit Sigma88.

• Fixed Sojos volcano

• Facelifted Nievis

• Improved Niebos rings

unknown.png

Edited by Gameslinx

Great I was able to install it through ckan and looks stunning and huge!

I have some questions though. I had already started a game the 3rd one and I have some progress so I don't want to start a new one for now. Is this ok to play on a saved game?
Contract configurator had an exception error because of missing planets like Mimnus and it's full understandable but is it possible I'll have other errors?

Space Center appears to be on a flat area but on a mountain instead near the sea, is that right?
And last about planets, the outer ones are dark very dark (no sunlight but damn it..) also I noticed some planets orbiting nothing.. is this intended?

Edited by alphaprior

2 hours ago, alphaprior said:

Great I was able to install it through ckan and looks stunning and huge!

I have some questions though. I had already started a game the 3rd one and I have some progress so I don't want to start a new one for now. Is this ok to play on a saved game?
Contract configurator had an exception error because of missing planets like Mimnus and it's full understandable but is it possible I'll have other errors?

Space Center appears to be on a flat area but on a mountain instead near the sea, is that right?
And last about planets, the outer ones are dark very dark (no sunlight but damn it..) also I noticed some planets orbiting nothing.. is this intended?

Make a backup of your save. A mate of mine was transferring from stock to GPO and only 1 craft got negatively affected.

As for planets orbiting around nothing... Could I have a screenshot?

Ckan is still broken at the moment as it does not include Instantiator or KS3P for the pretty accretion disks and post processing effects - I still recommend a manual install however I have (hopefully) working Ckan code waiting to be approved.

So... Yeah there's that too

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

Ckan is still broken at the moment as it does not include Instantiator or KS3P for the pretty accretion disks and post processing effects - I still recommend a manual install however I have (hopefully) working Ckan code waiting to be approved.

Hi, I'm having a look at those changes now, assuming you're collaborating with @DeltaDizzy:

I've pinged the authors of Sigma LoadingScreens, INSTANTIATOR, and KS3P about adding their mods to CKAN, so we can list them as proper dependencies of GPO. Any further input on the goals of this request would be welcome, if you have it, either here or at the above link.

3 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

FYI, according to Galileo, this mod bundles Sigma-LoadingScreens incorrectly; it should be in GameData/GPO/LoadingScreens:

Right. I'll sort that and release another hotfix. 

Does that mean everything else is alright and working?

4 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Any further input on the goals of this request would be welcome, if you have it, either here or at the above link.

The goal is that because KS3P, Instantiator and LoadingScreens are not on Ckan, I added instructions to install them to GameData.

I can't speak on their behalf, but I imagine they don't want to go through this effort to get their mods on Ckan either. I'll sort out the folder that LoadingScreens is in and I'll ping you here when it is.

Does that mean everything else is alright and working?

So far so good, but the changes aren't complete yet. 

The goal is that because KS3P, Instantiator and LoadingScreens are not on Ckan, I added instructions to install them to GameData.

Thanks, that helps.

I can't speak on their behalf, but I imagine they don't want to go through this effort to get their mods on Ckan either.

Good news, The White Guardian is OK with having INSTANTIATOR and KS3P indexed, if I'm willing to take care of it (I am). I'll look into that in the next day or so.

I'll sort out the folder that LoadingScreens is in and I'll ping you here when it is.

Sounds good. Cheers!

3 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

So far so good, but the changes aren't complete yet. 

I'm doing some folder restructuring at the moment, and i'll make relevant changes to the github request in good time. I've switched from TextureReplacer to SigmaReplacements as it has ModuleManager support. If I added the current method to ckan, my skybox textures would be lost.

Thanks!

Hey all, some backend changes are coming to GPO.

Unfortunately I have to get rid of the ease-of-bundling method that I use to get GPO on ckan and improve its modularity. I'm setting up a github for GPO with all the hotlinks to download all its dependencies. Mods that GPO uses that are not on CKAN will be bundled in the ckan download.

I'm afraid that although i prefer the old method of bundling everything, it has to go. Installation instructions will be provided and if you install this mod manually, they will be relatively extensive and clear.