[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

Hey everyone!

We're approaching 1.0 at lightning fast speeds. As the mod's name conflicts with OPM (outer planet mod) we need a new name!

Olei was the first name because I never expected it to grow into a mod - more of a personal project.

Which poses the question of what we name it!

I'm looking for some suggestions, that would be awesome, thanks!

1 minute ago, Raptor22 said:

Bug Report: Not too bad (little things to touch up, but nothing too bad)

There is a line going down Tetra, where the textures do not line up

On Volux, some of the mountains poke up through the atmosphere, and there's clear lines around the peaks with scatterer on. Might want to either lower the mountains or raise the atmosphere.

Might want to raise some of the clouds on Niebos. With some of the mountains, they go through them, making unsightly lines. You could keep it, if you want.

That's pretty much it. Nothing too alarming, but stuff you might want to brush up for 1.0.

BTW, Teloslate looks like it's straight out of the 70s. Greens, yellows, and purples. Looks like the mystery machine. Add a peace sign somewhere on there and perhaps some fuzzy dice and you'll be set. If you add resources, you might want to have a high concentration of minerals. Perhaps that could be a reason for the color. 

Oooooh

Bugs! *grabs excessively large hammer*

I'm gonna list em in priority order for tomorrow:

- Texture seam (easy fix, most noticeable)

- Niebos cloud-mountain amalgamation (I only need to remove Layer2D from the lower clouds in the EVE config, that's a few seconds of work!)

- Volux atmosphere - I've tinkered with this in the past because I noticed it, but I think I need to lower the mountains. So far I can't find a way to raise scatterers atmosphere that high - I might need to bump up Volux's radius and add 5000m onto its atmosphere (most likely solution), which means a gravity increase slightly.

Another scatterer related issue I've noticed is that looking at (especially Volux's) mountains from the side, you can see through them from the map view.

This is scatterer doing this and I'll look further into it and do what I can!

1 minute ago, Theglitchofthekraken said:

I use WinRAR and it doesn't let me drag and drop all the mods to gamedata.

Ehhmm... Why not?

Try dragging and dropping the mods into a separate folder on your desktop, then moving the mods from there to gamedata.

3 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

Perhaps you can make it the Niebos Planet Mod. I mean, it's the sort of prominent planet. Most of the early screenshots were of Niebos.

Or perhaps the Olei Planet Pack (OPP), since there's a lot of planets

I'd rather have a more collective, general term - I don't wanna subject a planet to favouritism. Niebos was the first atmospheric planet and probably the nicest one to look at, but I don't want to focus on it too much. Telos recently got attention. Flak and Verex are next because well... They're ugly little rocks!

So I'm thinking of a name which isn't one of the planets, and not after me. It's very tricky for me to name stuff! (Also explains why the moons have the same prefix as their parental bodies, less effort to name! - Telos + Telos late. Olei and Olemut. Niebos and niebiebiebiebietos!)

So it looks like it's not too bad. 

Making planet mods seems fun. I mean, you can play God! Raise the sky! Lower mountains! Carve out rivers!

THE POWER!!!

BTW, perhaps I can work on creating a flag for the mod. I have a few ideas:

So, two main styles: Simplistic or beautiful

My first idea is having a sort of simplistic flag with the planets sort of in a line. I whipped this up in about 5 minutes:

IP8ljJ-eEeKjz9nsEbmuUXs6GjEk0EkICqR-mYLZZu4?size=800x600&size_mode=3

Another idea is to have a view of Niebos in this sort of thing (about a quarter of the planet visible) with the rings and sun visible, so it's all eye candy, and have the title of the mod in the middle (whatever we decide to make it)

8 minutes ago, Theglitchofthekraken said:

IT CRASHED AGAIN! >:(

I DID NOTHING WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen, pal. If you want support, you're gonna need to give us more than an angry cry and the claim that you 'did nothing wrong'. Well obviously something must've gone wrong or it wouldn't crash, eh?

Please give us the following information so that we can at least try to help you:

1. Logfiles. More specifically, KSP.txt and GameData/ModuleManager.ConfigCache

2. A screenshot of your GameData folder.

Simply 'stuff doesn't work' leaves countless places were errors could've been made, to narrow it down we need to pop the hood and see where KSP is having trouble specifically, this way we can narrow it down to an install problem, a mod conflict, et cetera.

TLDR: please provide us with more information so we can help you sort this problem out.

12 minutes ago, Theglitchofthekraken said:

IT CRASHED AGAIN! >:(

I DID NOTHING WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm. This installation has been taking... Some time - a few days in fact. I think it's best someone else talks you through this. I've not been very helpful - I'm sorry.

I need a screenshot of your gamedata folder again.

4 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

@Gamel0rd1 as for pack naming suggestions, how about G.S.O, or 'Gamel0rd1's System Overhaul'?

That's not too bad a name, actually. I don't like my forum username (it's horrifically obnoxious), I go round as 'Gameslinx' outside of KSP. So it would be "Gameslinx System Overhaul". 

I kinda like that name. We'll see where we go with it - I'm hoping for 1.0 to drop on (no promises!) Sunday.

I found another flag that has the sort of idea that I was thinking of:

2KkhJaD.png

See how they're in a line, really close? Something like that.

So, you could choose a few planets that you want to be the face of the mod.

Just thought that it would be an interesting thing. Perhaps it could serve as an inaugural grand tour, in celebration of 1.0.

3 hours ago, DerpzGames said:

Would it be okay if I looked inside the mod? It might teach me a thing or two which could help me with my own mod.

Sure thing! 

4 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

I found another flag that has the sort of idea that I was thinking of:

2KkhJaD.png

See how they're in a line, really close? Something like that.

So, you could choose a few planets that you want to be the face of the mod.

Just thought that it would be an interesting thing. Perhaps it could serve as an inaugural grand tour, in celebration of 1.0.

Thats a great Idea! Ill see what else i can do, too :)

15 minutes ago, Theglitchofthekraken said:

How about just the regular Olei without the "Fancy Mods"?

That's what we have been trying to help you with.

For the non 'fancy mods' version, you need these following items in your GAMEDATA:

Olei, MFI, ModuleManager, CTTP and Kopernicus

Edited by Gamel0rd1

Hello!

Unfortunately there is no release today. This is because I've hit an unexpected problem with Niebietos's terrain. You see, in your versions, there's a red texture in the asteroid's chasms. I'm replacing this with an ocean. The problem is I need to export these textures in Kittopia. This works fine. To stop unwanted terrain 'stacking' of hills, I needed to remove the Vertex Planet, Vertex Height Absolute and Vertex Height PQS mods. This means I'm left with the heightmap of the planet, the colormap and the normal map. The only problem is that due to this moon's insane deformity, I need to ramp it up to 15000m, returning very unwanted results.

Here's an image to explain:

91K0aer.jpg

@The White Guardian is there a way to 'smooth' the terrain using a PQS mod to avoid this heightmap pixelation? It would be awesome if there is, because this is drivin' me up Niebietos's jagged walls!

18 minutes ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

Hello!

Unfortunately there is no release today. This is because I've hit an unexpected problem with Niebietos's terrain. You see, in your versions, there's a red texture in the asteroid's chasms. I'm replacing this with an ocean. The problem is I need to export these textures in Kittopia. This works fine. To stop unwanted terrain 'stacking' of hills, I needed to remove the Vertex Planet, Vertex Height Absolute and Vertex Height PQS mods. This means I'm left with the heightmap of the planet, the colormap and the normal map. The only problem is that due to this moon's insane deformity, I need to ramp it up to 15000m, returning very unwanted results.

Here's an image to explain:

91K0aer.jpg

@The White Guardian is there a way to 'smooth' the terrain using a PQS mod to avoid this heightmap pixelation? It would be awesome if there is, because this is drivin' me up Niebietos's jagged walls!

Uuh... here are all the things I can think of:

Option 1: add a low-deformity high-frequency PQSMod to smoothen it out a little.

Option 2: one or both of these babies:

VertexHeightNoiseVertHeightCurve2
				{
					deformity = 4000
					ridgedAddFrequency = 48
					ridgedAddLacunarity = 4
					ridgedAddOctaves = 6
					ridgedAddSeed = 1384047773
					ridgedMode = Low
					ridgedSubFrequency = 32
					ridgedSubLacunarity = 4
					ridgedSubOctaves = 6
					ridgedSubSeed = 2113370706
					simplexFrequency = 32
					simplexHeightEnd = 4600
					simplexHeightStart = 800
					simplexOctaves = 4
					simplexPersistence = 0.600000023841858
					simplexSeed = 248775058
					order = 32
					enabled = True
					name = _HeightNoise
					index = 0
					simplexCurve
					{
						key = 0 0 0 0
						key = 0.9328867 0.4808467 1.659658 1.659658
						key = 1 1 3.005844 3.005844
					}
				}
				VertexRidgedAltitudeCurve
				{
					deformity = 750
					ridgedAddFrequency = 140
					ridgedAddLacunarity = 2.5
					ridgedAddOctaves = 3
					ridgedMinimum = -0.7
					ridgedMode = Medium
					simplexFrequency = 50
					simplexHeightEnd = 6000
					simplexHeightStart = 0
					simplexOctaves = 2
					simplexPersistence = 0.100000001490116
					simplexSeed = 248775058
					order = 16
					enabled = True
					name = _HeightNoise
					index = 0
					simplexCurve
					{
						key = 0.007249059 0.0007464408 0 0
						key = 0.2683799 -0.000739295 0.03054045 0.03054045
						key = 0.2897457 0.416495 11.27714 11.27714
						key = 0.313458 0.4167799 -17.29987 -17.29987
						key = 0.3868988 0.001587124 -0.02212154 -0.02212154
						key = 0.420218 0.1430572 4.525596 4.525596
						key = 0.5198188 0.6407264 0.03815645 0.03815645
						key = 0.9978561 0.6552468 -0.02442704 -0.02442704
					}
				}

I'm not 100% sure what they do, but they seem to amplify the terrain deformity, adding a little noise in the process.

24 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Uuh... here are all the things I can think of:

Option 1: add a low-deformity high-frequency PQSMod to smoothen it out a little.

Option 2: one or both of these babies:

VertexHeightNoiseVertHeightCurve2
				{
					deformity = 4000
					ridgedAddFrequency = 48
					ridgedAddLacunarity = 4
					ridgedAddOctaves = 6
					ridgedMode = Low
					ridgedSubFrequency = 32
					ridgedSubLacunarity = 4
					ridgedSubOctaves = 6
					ridgedSubSeed = 2113370706
					simplexFrequency = 32
					simplexHeightEnd = 4600
					simplexHeightStart = 800
					simplexOctaves = 4
					simplexPersistence = 0.600000023841858
					simplexSeed = 248775058
					order = 32
					enabled = True
					name = _HeightNoise
					index = 0
					simplexCurve
					{
						key = 0 0 0 0
						key = 0.9328867 0.4808467 1.659658 1.659658
						key = 1 1 3.005844 3.005844
					}
				}
				VertexRidgedAltitudeCurve
				{
					deformity = 750
					ridgedAddFrequency = 140
					ridgedAddLacunarity = 2.5
					ridgedAddOctaves = 3
					ridgedMinimum = -0.7
					ridgedMode = Medium
					simplexFrequency = 50
					simplexHeightEnd = 6000
					simplexHeightStart = 0
					simplexOctaves = 2
					simplexPersistence = 0.100000001490116
					simplexSeed = 248775058
					order = 16
					enabled = True
					name = _HeightNoise
					index = 0
					simplexCurve
					{
						key = 0.007249059 0.0007464408 0 0
						key = 0.2683799 -0.000739295 0.03054045 0.03054045
						key = 0.2897457 0.416495 11.27714 11.27714
						key = 0.313458 0.4167799 -17.29987 -17.29987
						key = 0.3868988 0.001587124 -0.02212154 -0.02212154
						key = 0.420218 0.1430572 4.525596 4.525596
						key = 0.5198188 0.6407264 0.03815645 0.03815645
						key = 0.9978561 0.6552468 -0.02442704 -0.02442704
					}
				}

I'm not 100% sure what they do, but they seem to amplify the terrain deformity, adding a little noise in the process.

Oh my. That's ah... Somewhat confusing but I'll have a look tomorrow. I can't do much tomorrow because life gets in the way, though!

But if it fixes Niebietos, that would be damn good!

11 minutes ago, Theglitchofthekraken said:

I cant find a kopernicus log folder because there isn't one. 

Ignore that, then. Now please do this:

Reinstall KSP (delete everything, then install it again)

After that, follow my install instructions video. That WILL work if you do it correctly.

Somehow this mod slipped pass my radar...

This is a very, very nice little planet pack you got going on! Unfortunately, I pretty much exclusively play KSP with RSS, so I'll probably never use this mod, but if I ever start playing KSP without RSS, I'll definitely make sure to try out this mod. Keep up the beautiful work!

29 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

This is a very, very nice little planet pack you got going on! Unfortunately, I pretty much exclusively play KSP with RSS, so I'll probably never use this mod, but if I ever start playing KSP without RSS, I'll definitely make sure to try out this mod. Keep up the beautiful work!

Thank you!

Trust me, you really didn't want to see the early screenshots. It's been a long way since the first releases - maybe that's why it slipped past you.

Enjoy RSS! If at all you decide to use this mod, I'm looking for bug reports all the time, which would be appreciated.

Fly safe!

29 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I think a mod called sigma dimensions can rescale the planets from this mod to match those of RSS (10x?) Though it will need trial and error to get it right.

I haven't tried it myself, but it will certainly test mod compatability!

Edited by Gamel0rd1

Some of the terrain on Niebos's unk- *AHEM* mountains looks pretty weird. The texture is super stretched, so there's long lines going across the terrain. That's one thing by itself. Another thing is that it creates an illusion of sliding down a slope, while you're going straight. In some areas, it's alright, though. I've only noticed it in a few areas.

BTW, I would recommend making this a development thread. Once 1.0 comes out, you can make a release thread. You're planning on changing the name anyways. 

Edited by Raptor22

16 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

Some of the terrain on Niebos's unk- *AHEM* mountains looks pretty weird. The texture is super stretched, so there's long lines going across the terrain. That's one thing by itself. Another thing is that it creates an illusion of sliding down a slope, while you're going straight. In some areas, it's alright, though. I've only noticed it in a few areas.

BTW, I would recommend making this a development thread. Once 1.0 comes out, you can make a release thread. You're planning on changing the name anyways. 

Oo that sounds quite bad.

Could you post a screenshot? I'm interested to see if I can match this issue to anywhere else. Have you noticed anything like this anywhere else around the planet? It could be a recurring problem but I have a fair clue of what's causing it.

As for a release thread, I don't know. I'd rather manage one thread than two, simply because it's easier. I'll just change the title and carry on posting all the new update stuff here (it's a heck of a lot easier)

Edited by Gamel0rd1