[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

1 hour ago, baconfortress said:

Ive been downloading this off spacedock, Is updating this mod gonna be a whole new challenge lol

Yes. I've ported the GPO folder to Github and i'm waiting on confirmation from TWG that I can either bundle his mods in that github download OR he lists them on ckan.

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

Yes. I've ported the GPO folder to Github and i'm waiting on confirmation from TWG that I can either bundle his mods in that github download OR he lists them on ckan.

KS3P and INSTANTIATOR are now on CKAN, and I have a pending change to add them as dependencies of GPO. If you'd like to take a look before we commit it:

Otherwise I think it's ready to go.

29 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

KS3P and INSTANTIATOR are now on CKAN, and I have a pending change to add them as dependencies of GPO. If you'd like to take a look before we commit it:

Otherwise I think it's ready to go.

Awesome! For the moment i've dropped "Screamer" out of the release. I see that this would have to be changed in the file again, my apologies for that. It was causing some confusion, but now with CKAN there isn't much need for it (as GPO and GPP conflict). My timing is quite poor, as this is happening as I move from SpaceDock to github. I don't imagine that there have to be any major changes to the .Netkan, though.

I've uploaded GPO to this github with a prerelease so that we can test whether these changes will work!

https://github.com/Gameslinx/Gameslinx-Planet-Overhaul/releases/tag/v3.2-pre

Thank you for your time helping me with this issue. It's appreciated that we're cleaning up my mess-ups :P

Edited by Gameslinx
Added change to github. Can also upload new release to SpaceDock, with the included LoadingScreens mod in the correct place

2 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Awesome! For the moment i've dropped "Screamer" out of the release. I see that this would have to be changed in the file again, my apologies for that. It was causing some confusion, but now with CKAN there isn't much need for it (as GPO and GPP conflict).

Thanks for letting me know, I've updated the pull request to remove Screamer.

2 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

I've uploaded GPO to this github with a prerelease so that we can test whether these changes will work!

https://github.com/Gameslinx/Gameslinx-Planet-Overhaul/releases/tag/v3.2-pre

I would recommend continuing to use the SpaceDock link, actually. It allows you to specify more of the metadata on the download site (such as home page and game version compatibility), which otherwise would either have to go into a .version file in the download or in the netkan file itself. Is GitHub necessary to solve a problem you were having?

5 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

I would recommend continuing to use the SpaceDock link, actually. It allows you to specify more of the metadata on the download site (such as home page and game version compatibility), which otherwise would either have to go into a .version file in the download or in the netkan file itself

I'm uploading the new release to SpaceDock now. I'll ping you again when it's done! I assume that CKAN will only take the folders that it is told to, and will not install the entire ZIP as a manual user would? Just making sure.

5 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Is GitHub necessary to solve a problem you were having?

I am often told that bundling mods can end up poorly, but github (once i get the hang of it, at least) will allow me to update configs and fix bugs more easily than reuploading the entire mod - similarly to why other modders prefer Github over Spacedock. It also means that I can support more mods without bundling, especially if they have strict licences which do not allow me to bundle them (as I would in a Spacedock download).

However if it inconveniences you, I can still use SD.

Edited by Gameslinx

4 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

I'm uploading the new release to SpaceDock now. I'll ping you again when it's done! I assume that CKAN will only take the folders that it is told to, and will not install the entire ZIP as a manual user would? Just making sure.

CKAN can do either of those things, it just depends on how the metadata is set up. Currently for GPO, it just looks for a folder called GPO and installs it to GameData.

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

Currently for GPO, it just looks for a folder called GPO and installs it to GameData.

Awesome. That's what is on the Github, too. Just the GPO folder, i heard that I could put a .Netkan or .Version file along with that release? I may do that in a future release of this mod, if it's possible.

Assuming everything checks alright with you (as from what I can see, it looks good!), I think it's ready :)

7 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Awesome. That's what is on the Github, too. Just the GPO folder, i heard that I could put a .Netkan or .Version file along with that release? I may do that in a future release of this mod, if it's possible.

Yes, you can include extra CKAN metadata information directly in your downloads, but the file extension would be .ckan rather than .netkan:

It can be very handy for complicated things like this, but that makes it also kind of an advanced feature. Ping me again if you want help with it.

7 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Assuming everything checks alright with you (as from what I can see, it looks good!), I think it's ready :)

OK, I'm watching the SpaceDock page, and I'll merge my changes as soon as I see the new version appear, to avoid affecting the older version.

4 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

OK, I'm watching the SpaceDock page, and I'll merge my changes as soon as I see the new version appear, to avoid affecting the older version.

This file upload will take around another 15 minutes.

If it is within reason, I would like to prioritise the Github release for the time being - I don't think it's too hard to change (I may be wrong...)

I like how GPP handles installation, and it appears to be the best way to do it. Again, sorry for suddenly going back on myself; it's been a long day. I promise not to cause so much of a hassle in the future.

Edited by Gameslinx

3 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

This file upload will take around another 15 minutes.

If it is within reason, I would like to prioritise the Github release for the time being - I don't think it's too hard to change (I may be wrong...)

I like how GPP handles installation, and it appears to be the best way to do it. Again, sorry for suddenly going back on myself; it's been a long day.

Well, switching the download to GitHub would have complications that we would have to discuss and figure out, for example that download is marked as a pre-release, so CKAN will skip it. Whereas SpaceDock will Just WorkTM once it's updated.

The style of installation isn't dependent on the download host. You can do what GPP does on SpaceDock just as easily as on GitHub, as far as I know.

Well, switching the download to GitHub would have complications that we would have to discuss and figure out, for example that download is marked as a pre-release, so CKAN will skip it. Whereas SpaceDock will Just WorkTM once it's updated.

The style of installation isn't dependent on the download host. You can do what GPP does on SpaceDock just as easily as on GitHub, as far as I know.

It's now no longer a pre-release. it should behave now.

13 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

It's now no longer a pre-release. it should behave now.

The SpaceDock version appeared at about the same time, so the changes are now committed. I'm doing a test install locally to make sure it works.

Again, you can bundle or not bundle mods however you like, on SpaceDock or on GitHub. For users and for CKAN, it's just a ZIP file either way.

The SpaceDock version appeared at about the same time, so the changes are now committed. I'm doing a test install locally to make sure it works.

Again, you can bundle or not bundle mods however you like, on SpaceDock or on GitHub. For users and for CKAN, it's just a ZIP file either way.

Right. Cheers for that. I suppose in the future we can change that to github, hopefully sooner rather than later. Thanks for the help.

(Still worth noting that i can't edit me own file... :( )

4 minutes ago, baconfortress said:

So id like to update this fully with all these new fixes so I can begin. Is there a particular new process that is outlined or am I just going to spacedock?

Download off spacedock and install as normal. Things have been quite chaotic recently, I apologise

26 minutes ago, The Cuttlefish Empire said:

@Gameslinx i think sigma may have done a while ago....unless theres some other explanation for this apparently random 'meridian' which you entirely failed to notice at the time of its posting

Screenshot_642.png

It's been so long since I put it there I forgot and just assumed sigma was doing a sigma!

I opened the file today and I was like WHOA WAIT and saw your reply.

On 24/2/2018 at 4:37 AM, HebaruSan said:

FYI, according to Galileo, this mod bundles Sigma-LoadingScreens incorrectly; it should be in GameData/GPO/LoadingScreens:

For now we'll leave that mod out of the CKAN metadata. If this problem gets fixed, please let us know and we'll add it.

to be fair, @Gameslinx is not bundling my mod incorrectly.

but I can see how CKAN might not be able to handle it correctly in that position

8 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

It's been so long since I put it there I forgot and just assumed sigma was doing a sigma!

I opened the file today and I was like WHOA WAIT and saw your reply.

I don't even remember where I found that word, but I think it was a comment in one of your cfgs :D

Edited by Sigma88

12 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I don't even remember where I found that word, but I think it was a comment in one of your cfgs :D

It's a "AboutThis" text file in the textures folder. It's been there for ages now and I didn't want to just get rid of it :P

Anyhow I have submitted another pull request to GPO.netkan to hopefully move it over to github. I've also added a version file so that I don't have to specify a new download link each time. As well as that, i've added SigmaReplacements-Skybox as a dependency as GPO utilises it now :wink:

Alright, for those who were using spacedock, the install instructions have changed. CKAN support is still on going, and I'll list the things that need to be sorted out below.

But for those who use Spacedock, I have relinked the SD site to Github. The install is a bit more longwinded, but everything is still there. Things that still need to be sorted:

1. Move CKAN download location to Github
  2. Set Sigma SkyBox as dependency
  3. Set Galileo's Planet Pack as "confliction"
Edited by Gameslinx