[1.4.3] Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul v3.4.0 [UPDATE IN PROGRESS]

Gameslinx

1 hour ago, Theglitchofthekraken said:

I do not know what to do with this mod, and it looks like its not working, but i have the menu up.

Hm...

if the menu is up, it works. Click on 'No Body Selected', find a planet you wish to edit and do whatever with it.

To create your own planet you first need a config file. You can find that on the tutorial I linked above earlier

2 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

I have decided I shall give that a go, the whole thing by hand (apart from fractal noise here and there, of course!)

It is a start, is it not? I can iron out the jagged, mis-connected edges. I need a new atmospheric body and yours looks incredible! I'm going for a more tectonic look, so these are the plates, and therefore the heightmap's outline:xB1KXsi.png

(it's really bad)

EDIT: I'm still struggling with the height pixellation. After looking at your planets you appear to have none! Same thing with OPM. I've no idea what I'm doing wrong - it's definitely because the deformity makes the height map stretch and so the difference between pixels is bigger - basically distorting it.

Is the answer 8k textures? For me, no. My mod size is already above 450MB, and it will rise further with more detail... I'll see how my next planet goes.

Edited by Gamel0rd1

2 minutes ago, Theglitchofthekraken said:

but when i play the game the texture rework doesnt appear

Have you downloaded the update? (Gone to SpaceDock, pressed Download and reinstalled the mod?)

Do this:

Download the mod. Now, delete the mod foldes from your GAMEDATA folder. Drag the folders from the newly downloaded update into your GAMEDATA folder exactly how you managed it before.

Edited by Gamel0rd1

2 hours ago, Theglitchofthekraken said:

when is the "Tail-Moon" thing that i suggested a day ago (or more)?

It's too impractical to make it. Adding a tail means I need to deform the height map for it. Deforming the height map leaves less room for detail on the moon. I'm still experimenting, though.

15 hours ago, Theglitchofthekraken said:

Well, the moon is brown, but has craters, and a lot of albedo which makes it shine when in front of the planet, which gives Olei Planet Mod users have an advantage, And a long tail, like if its being torn apart by the roche limit...

@Gamel0rd1 If you can, setup an EVE particle effect with emissions pointing retrograde in the crumbling body's orbit. Also about the cave thing, change the desired body's template to Eve and don't remove all its PQSmods. This way, Eve's anomalies will remain and will appear. You don't get to control where they appear but they should respond to terrain alterations around them. There's something I'd like to add to it and experiment with but it's a secret.

Spoiler

Verex looks like a particular exotic food in my country. I want to eat it.

200.gif

Edited by JadeOfMaar

33 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Gamel0rd1 If you can, setup an EVE particle effect with emissions pointing retrograde in the crumbling body's orbit. Also about the cave thing, change the desired body's template to Eve and don't remove all its PQSmods. This way, Eve's anomalies will remain and will appear. You don't get to control where they appear but they should respond to terrain alterations around them. There's something I'd like to add to it and experiment with but it's a secret.

Hide contents

Verex looks like a particular exotic food in my country. I want to eat it.

200.gif

Print this out and wrap it round a fruit. 100% works lol

VK3j92w.png

Jeez! More planets!

Honestly, this should be Planet Factory II (does anyone remember that?), since you keep rolling them out!

Will check for bugs on the new planets/moons/planetoids/whateveryoucallems! Working on a new fleet of craft, that I call the BBG series (Bugz-B-Gone) to help. 

Still fiddling with flags. You can either incorporate it into the game, or use it as a banner for the page. 

Also, you might want to find a better way to compress the files. I have decent internet, yet it takes FOREVER to download. Right now it says that it'll take 30 minutes. While the time prediction is not that accurate, it's still a long time to wait! 

Edited by Raptor22

20 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

Jeez! More planets!

Honestly, this should be Planet Factory II (does anyone remember that?), since you keep rolling them out!

Will check for bugs on the new planets/moons/planetoids/whateveryoucallems! Working on a new fleet of craft, that I call the BBG series (Bugz-B-Gone) to help. 

Still fiddling with flags. You can either incorporate it into the game, or use it as a banner for the page. 

Also, you might want to find a better way to compress the files. I have decent internet, yet it takes FOREVER to download. Right now it says that it'll take 30 minutes. While the time prediction is not that accurate, it's still a long time to wait! 

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a (below average by about 40%) net speed of 36 down, 6 up. It takes forever to upload, and people with internet data usage limits will probably avoid downloading. I can reduce the size of all my colormaps to 2048 x 1024 (slight loss in quality), and maybe my heightmaps for smaller planets. For niebietos, I can get it down to 1024 x 512 since it's a miniscule moon. Perhaps for dread and Teloslate, also.

And you might be delighted / not so delighted to hear that another planet is coming out tonight :). If you want you can PM me and i'll send you the new planet without you having to download the entire thing again, then talk you through installing it!

29 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

Alright. 

BTW, still downloading. 

And I didn't mean changing the texture quality. Just software that compresses the data better.

I have to keep the texture data (image data) in PNG or DDS_DXT5 format. Using JPEG (a lossy compression method), the file sizes can be a lot smaller, but there's a massive loss in quality. As for software capable of compressing the textures, it doesn't make a difference. It's entirely relevant to how much/many:

• Colours in the image (colour depth)
  • Image Alpha (how bright are said colours? If they all have the same alpha, that saves a lot of file space but there's no light or dark variation)
  • Image transparency (Having a completely opaque image reduces file size)
  • How many colours of which colour/alpha/transparency are next to each other. A fully black, 4096 x 2048 texture is mere KBs, but if it was rainbow coloured, translucent or contrasted it would be above 12MB)

So that's why my normal maps are in grayscale. They used to use the full RGB spectrum and they were about 12MB. Having them grayscale means that I save a lot of space.

In short, I can't really improve my compression effectiveness without sacrificing quality of the colour, height and normalmaps, and that is why most planet packs stop at a certain number

Edited by Gamel0rd1

Roughly 5 minutes left, it says. 

I decided to change it to BH class (Bug Hunter). Not as funny, but more practical. 

I've tried making a more simplistic flag, but it's not working out that well. While I'm good with fiddling with the camera and using effects, I can't draw that well. 

Whew! Finally! I got it to download.

I've got an idea to the whole file-size conundrum: Have different planet packs.

You have a few planets orbiting Kerbol, with a lot of moons. You can have it under one mod, but have different packs. Have a Niebos pack. Have an Olu'um pack. A Flax pack. Etc. All under one flag, but as separate packs. That way, people who are running this on a potato can have one or two planets/moons, but not enough to melt their CPU. This way, it can speed up downloads, and make it so that when a new planet or fix to a planet comes out, all you have to do is download the pack for it, instead of downloading the whole darn thing.

While it may be a bit more complex to install, it won't be that bad. For example, the Umbra Space Industries mods by Roverdude have separate packs. All you have to do is drag them into the main "Umbra Space Industries" folder, and voilà! It's good to go.

So, just separate them by their systems. Each of the main planets should have its own pack, as well as moons/moon systems that are added to stock planet systems (Like Olei)

12 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

Whew! Finally! I got it to download.

I've got an idea to the whole file-size conundrum: Have different planet packs.

You have a few planets orbiting Kerbol, with a lot of moons. You can have it under one mod, but have different packs. Have a Niebos pack. Have an Olu'um pack. A Flax pack. Etc. All under one flag, but as separate packs. That way, people who are running this on a potato can have one or two planets/moons, but not enough to melt their CPU. This way, it can speed up downloads, and make it so that when a new planet or fix to a planet comes out, all you have to do is download the pack for it, instead of downloading the whole darn thing.

While it may be a bit more complex to install, it won't be that bad. For example, the Umbra Space Industries mods by Roverdude have separate packs. All you have to do is drag them into the main "Umbra Space Industries" folder, and voilà! It's good to go.

So, just separate them by their systems. Each of the main planets should have its own pack, as well as moons/moon systems that are added to stock planet systems (Like Olei)

I might do that at some point when we surpass 20 things to land on. It's gonna be RAM heavy, and we all know how well planet packs utilise ram, right? Heh...

Yeah, I might have

• Install step 1 - Core Planets
  • Install step 2 - Moons (Might not separate every single moon, that's hard for me to manage myself)
  • Install step 3 - Visuals

Thanks for the idea, I might do that. Also, I'm gonna release 1.0 tonight. I'm not too worried about having a flag yet (it's not 100% necessary for 1.0) so that might be a bit later, but I feel like the mod is stable enough for a 1.0 release.

You're welcome. 

BTW, found some bugs (although they may not be bugs, just your doing)

With Balos, a lot of the mountains go out of the atmosphere. Luckily, it's not too noticeable (unless you try landing on them!

Flax has double... flaholes? They're like the mohole, but WAY bigger. There appears to be one at each pole, by the looks of it. Kind of hard to see on the south pole, since its so dark. I also noticed a jagged texture seam. Will send screenshot.

I would hold off on 1.0 for a bit longer. There are still some bugs, and it's generally a good idea to get rid of the ones that can be seen from the map view (since those are pretty big.) Perhaps make version 0.99

1.0 should be relatively clean. It's not good to push things out the door quickly. Especially since you're adding a new planet in 1.0. That means that there's chances for even more bugs.

I'll continue investigating. Rolling out the new BH-1 "Black Widdow" to search for surface bugs.

9 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

You're welcome. 

BTW, found some bugs (although they may not be bugs, just your doing)

With Balos, a lot of the mountains go out of the atmosphere. Luckily, it's not too noticeable (unless you try landing on them!

Flax has double... flaholes? They're like the mohole, but WAY bigger. There appears to be one at each pole, by the looks of it. Kind of hard to see on the south pole, since its so dark. I also noticed a jagged texture seam. Will send screenshot.

I would hold off on 1.0 for a bit longer. There are still some bugs, and it's generally a good idea to get rid of the ones that can be seen from the map view (since those are pretty big.) Perhaps make version 0.99

1.0 should be relatively clean. It's not good to push things out the door quickly. Especially since you're adding a new planet in 1.0. That means that there's chances for even more bugs.

I'll continue investigating. Rolling out the new BH-1 "Black Widdow" to search for surface bugs.

Ok, will hold off 1.0 unless these get fixed tonight. Tomorrow I have limited time, so let's see where we go from there.

In order of your bugs:

• Balos cloud and mountains - will raise cloud layer
  • Double mohole 'stuff' on flak - Will do a quick pole smoothing of the heightmap. The texture seam I know about. Every planet has one (it should look like \/\/\/\/\/\/ but sideways), unless it's a colormap seam, which is different. The jagged seam is a feature of using PNG image compression methods

Seams like some easy fixes unless something crops up with the new planet

With Flax, you can just play it off as being a feature. I mean, the mohole was originally a glitch. Now it's an Easter egg. Perhaps you can make its own biome.

Anyways, I'll keep the bug reports coming in.

**UPDATE**

Vega: Another jagged, zig-zag texture seam, like on Flax.

Verex: a bit of texture pinching at the poles. Not too noticeable. 

7 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I think one one planet, there should be a mountain that goes past the atmosphere. Maybe with a flat top, so it's possible to build a base there? :) 

Look no further than the peaks of Niebos, my friend. Well. The mountains don't extend above the atmosphere, but they're pretty darn flat, if that will cut it?

**UPDATE II* 

Tetra: Texture pinching at poles, even more noticeable texture seam, with both a jagged one and a straight-ish one. Kind of hard to describe. Will send screenshots.

Teloslate: Reverse mohole at north pole only (juts out. Could be considered a feature), another zigzag seam.

Volux: Some of the mountains jut through the atmosphere. Extremely noticeable, since they look tan when they stick out.

Quartra: Double pole holes.

Dread: Pole holes. Can't see the south pole, but its very likely that it's there. Luckily, it's a very smooth planet, so smoothing it out shouldn't mess things up too badly. Another seam, as well

Niebos: Pinching and small holes visible at poles. The pinching appears to be the cause of EVE, since I can see it on Kerbin. Nonetheless, it's worth checking out.

Dusk: Pole holes

Olei: No visible bugs (just a bit of a breather). Did notice that it looks like there's two canyon-like marks that look like they're track marks from some GIANT rover. Perhaps you can make that an easter egg.

Olemut: I'm not sure if you changed this, but the colors seemed to have changed. It may be a bug, but it might also be your doing. Ignore if it is the latter.

Some of the atmospheric issues may be on behalf of scatterer or EVE

I will be making an imgur album with the screenshots.

For the ones that I didn't mention, that's because there were no obvious bugs. I haven't timewarped to see the other side of the planets. I'm just trying to find the ones that you will see at first glance, which is what we want to avoid for 1.0. If a few make it through, that will be somewhat okay. We just don't want people to look and the first thing they see is a glitch.

20 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

**UPDATE II* 

Tetra: Texture pinching at poles, even more noticeable texture seam, with both a jagged one and a straight-ish one. Kind of hard to describe. Will send screenshots.

Teloslate: Reverse mohole at north pole only (juts out. Could be considered a feature), another zigzag seam.

Volux: Some of the mountains jut through the atmosphere. Extremely noticeable, since they look tan when they stick out.

Quartra: Double pole holes.

Dread: Pole holes. Can't see the south pole, but its very likely that it's there. Luckily, it's a very smooth planet, so smoothing it out shouldn't mess things up too badly. Another seam, as well

Niebos: Pinching and small holes visible at poles. The pinching appears to be the cause of EVE, since I can see it on Kerbin. Nonetheless, it's worth checking out.

Dusk: Pole holes

Olei: No visible bugs (just a bit of a breather). Did notice that it looks like there's two canyon-like marks that look like they're track marks from some GIANT rover. Perhaps you can make that an easter egg.

Olemut: I'm not sure if you changed this, but the colors seemed to have changed. It may be a bug, but it might also be your doing. Ignore if it is the latter.

Some of the atmospheric issues may be on behalf of scatterer or EVE

I will be making an imgur album with the screenshots.

For the ones that I didn't mention, that's because there were no obvious bugs. I haven't timewarped to see the other side of the planets. I'm just trying to find the ones that you will see at first glance, which is what we want to avoid for 1.0. If a few make it through, that will be somewhat okay. We just don't want people to look and the first thing they see is a glitch.

If you're talking about this:

nrvnhdz.jpg

(The terrain seam)

That's on OPM, it's to do with PNG images. I don't want to use DDS, because they usually have bigger file sizes