Doing it Apollo style - Redux

My mission is here: http://imgur.com/a/OWgIZ

qI8X7S4.jpg

Single launch, manually piloted (KER and MechJeb are only for information), LOR mission of my own design: +30

3-man mission: - For science! +10; 2-man lander: +10; 2-stage lander: +20

LES in place: +10; Lander stored behind CM during ascent: +20; Lander tucked away behind some kind of fairing: +5

Free return trajectory to the Mun: +10; Flawless landing: +10; Got a MRV FMR (fast Mun rover) on board: +15

Docked MM and CM in Munar orbit: +10; MM crashed into the Mun: +5; Flag planted: +3; Splashed down on Kerbin: +5

Deploy munar sub-satellite: +10; Land within 50m of the NAM: +15; Are we there yet?: +15; For science!: +10 points

Total: 213 points

DKQXQ7Q.png

Here is my entry:  http://imgur.com/a/ZqdSL

Done with all stock parts, mods used are KER and visual mods (SVE and a couple others).

My mission totals 218 points.  I did leave my rover behind and jetpack back to the lander, so if that does not count let me know.  Points below:

Spoiler

Goals
- LOR mission, fly by hand, own design +30

- 3-man Mission +10
- 2-man Lander +10
- 2-stage Lander (leave the decent-engine on the Mun) +20
- Launch escape system in place? +10
- Lander stored behind the CM during ascent +20
- Lander tucked away behind some kind of fairing? +5
- Free return trajectory to the Mun +10
- Flawless landing +10
- Got a Munar Roving Vehicle (MRV) on board? +15
- After succesfull Mun landing dock CM and MM in munar orbit +10
- MM disposed by crashing it into the Mun +5
- Plant flag on the Mun +3
- Spashing down on Kerbin +5

Additional Goals:
- Deploy munar sub-satellite before returning to Kerbin +10 Points

Landing accuracy (not cumulative)
- Land within 50 meters of the NAM +15

I was roving on the Moon one day... (not cumulative)
- Are we there yet? +15 points - Drive beyond 10km of the lander

MSEP - Munar Surface Experimental Package (not cumulative)
- Science extravaganza! +15 points - Deploy four experimental packages 1 km from the landing site (and at least 1 km from eachother)

• 2 weeks later...

I was doing this challenge yesterday (modded attempt). The MM touched down about 10 meters away from the memorial, the Kerbals got out and planted a flag, all was looking good. 

The Mün buggy and all 4 MSEPs were in KIS containers, to be assembled on-site by the engineer. I opened up the containers... and then realized that I had forgotten the tools. 

A loud "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" echoed across the spacesuit radios. The astronauts got back in the MM and left. 

The capsule splashed down in Kerbin's oceans a day or two later. After recovering the capsule and terminating the MM descent stage, the flag, the Sarnus IV-B upper stage, and the sub-satellite, Gene uttered the words to conclude the mission that would live in infamy. 

"This never happened."

I'll pack the tools and do a successful attempt later today :).

Edited by KAL 9000

16 minutes ago, Xeldrak said:

Your welcome to participate :)

I considered your suggestion. The Ascent Propulsion System used oxidizer and a fuel, so going with monopropellant doesn't seem quite right. 

Yes, I'm aware.  I like to do it do simulate the hypergolics, even though it doesn't make real actual sense.  I'm doing it anyway! :wink:   The Puff motor just looks so much like the APS!

O-10_MonoPropellant_Engine.png353px-Apollo_Lunar_Module_Ascent_Engine.

First I've seen this.

Every time I've done a Mun landing in KSP, I've done it using the LOR method (Or Munar Orbit Rendezvous in this case).  I love Apollo too much to do it any other way.  In comparison, I always use Kerbin Orbit Rendezvous for missions to Minmus.

I've built various rockets to mimic the Apollo missions, from my first being this monstrosity from years ago:

B9B573BD0C1109A6474910394CD7F7131AD0797B (1024×768)

(I don't have a pic of the lander and upper stage, sorry), to my more refined craft:

BF9F7C82AD41A84FB34946FF8000EB24485552D5 (1280×720)

17A12240BDC3B5803C3638457510DFF5D83D7C75 (1280×720)

E9BE057D4EB5E19687124F147192B9D120E47F18 (1280×720)

C4D2CFC58AF7E71076165038E4AE8F1E8F795385 (1280×720)

0CE7525D65D54A406A6A5E9C5042F6DD5F58EE41 (1280×720)

Wouldn't know my score on this mission.  It was part of my career mode run and I was doing this for a contract, but I can make a guess if you guys are curious.

EDIT: To respect the topic, I might import this rocket to sandbox and do the mission without any edits to see how many points it scores.  It's almost all stock parts.  It depends on if you count Porkjet's Stock Overhaul mod as stock or not, as my second stage engines are two retextured LV-T45s and my CSM and LM (MM) might use LV-T15s.  Could also just give a mission report of what I did in career mode from memory.

Edited by Nittany Tiger

I welcome any entry to my challenge :wink: But as mentioned in the OP the crucial events should be documented by screenshots, so I guess you would have to fly it again. About the Stock Part Revamp: Could I load your rocket in a stock ksp installation? If yes -> you get to the stock leaderboard otherwise you can get on the modded leaderboard.

On 29.1.2017 at 1:12 PM, Xeldrak said:

- After succesfull Mun landing dock CM and MM in munar orbit (no swapping ships without docking them first) +10

No swapping ships? That's not realistic. Why shouldn't the CM perform the docking maneuver, as in the actual missions?

I should read the entire thread before posting. However, you say the ML should be deorbited after rendezvous. This also didn't happen in the apollo missions (would have done that anyhow because I'm such an environmentalist) 

Edited by Physics Student

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my submission.  I hope this works it.  It will definitely go into the "modded" category.  Hope the links are easy to find and that it all makes sense.

My scoring should be:

Your Mun-mission hast to fullfill the following criteria:
- Everything has to be started with a single rocket (no building ships in orbit or refueling in orbit)
- You have to fly a LOR mission (you need a Command Module [CM] and a specialized Munar Module [MM])
- No automated piloting (no mechjeb, do your flying by hand)
- BYOR (Bring your own rocket) - The rocket must be your own design
Just for fullfilling theese criteria you will get thirty points. (+30)

- 3-man Mission +10
- 3*-man Lander +10
- 2-stage Lander (leave the decent-engine on the Mun) +20 (used the 7 m/s dV left to start ascent, then decoupled and continued with ascent module)
- Main rocked aspargus'd? not sure here?  3 LFO boosters with a fuel line going into 1st stage core.  Boosters separated at same time.  1st stage continues ascent.
- Launch escape system in place? +10
- Lander stored behind the CM during ascent +20
- Lander tucked away behind some kind of fairing? +5
- Free return trajectory to the Mun how close of a Kerbin Periapsys do I need on the return?
- Flawless landing (no parts broke off, Neil Armstrong is watching you!) +10  surprised myself on that one... although I lost a fin on ascent....
- After succesfull Mun landing dock CM and MM in munar orbit (no swapping ships without docking them first) +10
- MM disposed by crashing it into the Mun (remove Kerbal first!) +5 (see note above)
- Plant flag on the Mun (no cumulative, i.e. two flags don't get you 6 points) +3
- Spashing down on Kerbin (land on water) +5

Did science, but no SEPs though....

So, according to this I got a whopping 138 whole points!  Armstrong IV will have to do better!

Edited by smotheredrun

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.