Doing it Apollo style - Redux

4 minutes ago, Vinhero100 said:

can the lander be 1 seater and the transfer module ( the one the lander docks with) have the other two kerbals?

That's more N1 like and this is an Apollo style challenge, so I would say no, but I didn't create the challenge, so...

Does using RealChute count as it being "modded"?

11 hours ago, Vinhero100 said:

can the lander be 1 seater and the transfer module ( the one the lander docks with) have the other two kerbals?

It's a points system.  So for that you would get the three man mission points but not the two man lander points.

On 6.6.2017 at 9:55 PM, Nihilistic_Nachos said:

A few questions:

1. Is mechjeb allowed for the mod category?

2. Is there a maximum size for the rocket?

3. Are RTGs allowed?

4. Are there any mods that are not allowed (besides autopilot mods)?

5. Can we leave the rover on the Mun?

6. Can the rover fly?

7. Are there extra points for a VERY LARGE explosion of the landing module? (maybe even being seen from orbit?)

8. What are the requirements for screenshots?

9. Do I lose points for all these questions? XD

1. Mechjeb is allowed for extra data, but not automated piloting
2. Nope
3. Well, yes - but why be one of the cool kids and use fuel cells?
4. Nope
5. Sure, there is no need to bring the rover back
6. Well, it's okay if it can drive and fly. But a rover that cannot can only hop and not rove is not a rover!
7. No, I don't think so
8. One should be able to understand your mission by the screenshots. Also screenshots of major goals should be posted. But in the end I will trust you anyways. 
9. Nope - questions are fine

Nice one!  All I need for perfection is a subsatelite and the Landing accuracy thing (I don't know where the Memmorial is :mad: and I completely forgot the satelite :huh:)

Goals I did not achieve:

- Deploy munar sub-satellite before returning to Kerbin +10 Points (My 4 science Things on the surface actually have enough delta V to get back into Orbit, does that count?)

Landing accuracy (not cumulative)

- Land within 5 km of Neil Armstong Memorial (NAM) +5 Points
- Land within 500 m of NAM +10 Points
- Land within 50 meters of the NAM +15

Where is this darn thing!!!?

Score: 218 - 15 - 10 = 193 (stock)

Edited by Physics Student

@Physics Student Nicely done! I've added you to the leaderboard. Your self-deploying science-things are neat - deploying them by rover takes to much time.
But I fear lauching one of them into orbit and counting that as a sub-satellite is against the spirit of recreating apollo :wink: 

I didn't know this challenge was still a thing. I did this one on a lark, video in spoiler:

Spoiler

I think I meet the basic criteria. Let's see...

• +10 Three-crew mission
  • +10 Two-crew lander
  • +20 Two-stage lander
  • 0 No asparagus staging
  • +10 Escape tower
  • +20 Lander tucked behind command module, +5 also tucked within fairing
  • +10 Free return to Kerbin
  • +10 No damage on landing (even if a bit tilted!)
  • +15 Rover
  • +10 Rendezvous with command module (the command module had the RCS kit though, you judge this one)
  • +5 Disposal of ascent module (also disposal of transfer stage)
  • +3 Flag
  • +5 Splashdown on return
  • 0 No fatalities
  • Only one bonus though: +2 100 m drive beyond landing area

Total score 135. Sorry about that @Xeldrak. Full stock, visual add-ons used only. Craft file here. (14 KB Zip)

An Apollo-style mission is rather extravagant for KSP though. One can do the same mission in the stock Kerbal-X for half the funds and much earlier in the tech tree.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Calculated score

@Gordon Fecyk
Nicely done! And a great video too - good music and production values :D

I've added you to the leaderboard. Yeah, apolly stylle mission are quite extravagant, but I allways found them really fun and engaging. 

Edited by Xeldrak

I'm not sure how I didn't see this challenge before, but what fun!  I did mine without looking at any of the other entries, so hopefully I didn't duplicate anyone's attempt. 

basic rocket 30 + 3 man mission 10 + 2 stage lander 20 + lander stored behind CM 20+LES 10 + fairing 5 + flawless landing 10 + MRV 15 + docked 10 + MM crash 5 + flag 3 + splashdown 5 + 43m from memorial 15 + proper shakedown 5 + Science Extravaganza 15 = 178 points!

Although I have already had one go at this, I used a modified lander can and omitted the science experiments and satellite.  This was principally because I used an existing Apollo type craft and couldn't be bothered to modify it to include the missing components.

I've now amended that error, completely rebuilding the lander to include the science experiments, and a service bay on the CSM to hold a satellite for deployment in Mun orbit.

All aspects of the challenge have now been completed, for a score of 218 points.

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

I almost did this. Then I gave up. Should return to it.

@Xeldrak - OP says "Main Rocked" Should it say "Main Rocket"?

Should definitely give it a go.  I've been playing KSP for a number of years, and have sent manned missions to, and returned from, all the landable bodies in the system, but I still get a lot of enjoyment out of sending missions to Mun.

@qzgy Thank you - english is not my native language. You should give it a go - apollo style missions are allways fun. I find them to be in a nice niche between "someting I can throw together in 10 minutes" and "This will keep me busy for at least a month".

Edited by Xeldrak

Is it acceptable to use MechJeb's stability assist for piloting? I ask only because my rocket has nearly 200 parts at launch, and while I can fly using the stock SAS once in space, it's incredibly difficult to control a 457 tonne rocket at 1/3 real time and 5 frames per second.

EDIT: I've found the issue wasn't the lag, but the lack of autostruts (since KJR hasn't updated). So I can fly with stock SAS.

Edited by eloquentJane

7 hours ago, Xeldrak said:

@Nefrums Nicely done! However, if you want to see your name on the coveted leaderboard I need you to calculate your score :wink: 

ok, (is there a RSS leader board? :wink:)

3-man Mission +10
- 2-man Lander +10
- 2-stage Lander (leave the decent-engine on the Mun) +20
- Launch escape system in place? +10
- Lander stored behind the CM during ascent +20
- Lander tucked away behind some kind of fairing? +5
- Flawless landing (no parts broke off, Neil Armstrong is watching you!) +10
- After succesfull Mun landing dock CM and MM in munar orbit (no swapping ships without docking them first) +10
- Plant flag on the Mun (no cumulative, i.e. two flags don't get you 6 points) +3
- Spashing down on Kerbin (land on water) +5

103p. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.