DAD- deep atmospheric dive

Once Galileo probe entered the atmosphere of Jupiter we made a lot of dicoveries and conclusions about Jupiter and all gas giants in solar  system. But  in ksp we can much more than in real life

The idea is - you dive deeply into jool atmosphere as deep you can can and then return  . For this task you beter use a plane/glider.  Rules :Dont use cheats to prevent overheating   nor cheats for infinite fue (just dont use cheats at all !)  . Dont use mods except the the mods that add balloons . You need stay at the low altitide for 55 sec. That is your guide                      Easy: 70 000 m   Normal: 40 000 m   Hard: 35 000 m   .                                                                                                                                                                     

Edited by cratercracker

• 1 month later...

I think I get it: 

The goal is to go as deep into Jool as possible while still returning to stable orbit around Jool after you are done (since at that point you can just dock it to any vessel you get there and tow it/refuel it/do whatever). 

Since this is likely a tough one, I would suggest allowing hyperedit to place a ship into a stable jool orbit and starting from there. 

1 minute ago, Ryu Gemini said:

I think I get it: 

The goal is to go as deep into Jool as possible while still returning to stable orbit around Jool after you are done (since at that point you can just dock it to any vessel you get there and tow it/refuel it/do whatever). 

Since this is likely a tough one, I would suggest allowing hyperedit to place a ship into a stable jool orbit and starting from there. 

Okay, you can use hyperedit ,but if yo use it,try diving deeper to 20 000 or even 15 000 

Jool's atmosphere seems to start around 200,000ish, but the diviest way to go would actually be to start really far out so you are moving as fast as you can survive moving at, so that your momentum helps get you back out of the atmosphere.

Wings won't last long.  Best to invest in some serious heat management instead.  Maybe parts with unusually high density too (full ore containers?). 

I really do like the idea though, so I'm thinking I may re-make this idea within the guidelines to see what people can do with it. 

Edited by Ryu Gemini

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.