Favorite Aircraft

RussianAround

Hello there!

I've been interested in aviation for a long time. I've seen some interesting, quirky, plain, and bewildering aircraft. Mine is the TB-3, a Soviet bomber that is so ridiculous, it's majestic. Here's an image and a link to a Kerbal Space Program replica.

1_14.jpg

https://kerbalx.com/pandoraskitten/TB-3-AM-34FRN-for-nuFAR

For aircrafts, the Aérospatiale Alouette II hands down. That thing is sheer class.

For airplanes, then it's either the Sopwith Camel, the DeHavilland Mosquito or the Douglas DC-3 Dakota. Probably the Camel but it's a tough choice.

Edited by LN400

I've a few...

The B-17, because of an uncle (mom's side) who was a tail gunner in one over Germany during WWII.

The P-47 Thunderbolt, because of an uncle (dad's side) who was a fighter pilot in one over Germany during WWII... he was shot down, captured, and was held a prisoner of war until the war ended. He said he was treated very well, because he was a pilot. I have his memoirs... a fascinating read.

My favorite though, is the F-16 Fighting Falcon. :cool:

Concorde gets my vote. The airliner that brought supersonic flight to the masses. (Well, ish - Concorde tickets weren't cheap). Technically it was innovative, its performance was so far beyond anything else - not just airliners, it outran most of the jet fighters of its day in its trials and I believe it still has a longer supersonic range than anything else. And while the then-classified SR-71 was even faster it was diabolical operationally, whereas Concorde managed to make supersonic flight something for routine airliner operation. And like any great aircraft it looks brilliant.

Concorde_on_Bristol.jpg

XB-70 Valkyrie - protoype of mach 3 strategic bomber, one of the fastest and most beautiful aircraft ever created:

IWCQsXF.png

Su-47 - my favorite among jet fighters and prototype jet fighters:

gSkQe6d.png

Lancaster - assuming that we can choose only between WWII aircrafts:

hcnXZgN.png

Edited by winged

My faves are the ones I've flown; either as a fully-qualified pilot or as a student or PIC with a qualified friend in the other seat. :wink:

So: fave airliner: Boeing 737-2L9. Not flown except in simulator and cockpit checklists. Still; an incredibly responsive and easy-to-fly aircraft; a real pilot's plane.

fave glider: Schweizer 2-33 trainer; for the fact that in around 20 years I trained close to 500 Air Cadets on that thing. Slow, ugly and the penetration of a brick but a fantastic trainer.

Fave light single: Bellanca (OK; American Champion but we always call it Bellanca) Citabria. Fun, simple little taildragger that can go bloody anywhere. Easy to fly, fun to play with and a brilliant towplane.

Fave twin: Piper Twin Aztec (PA-23). Just plain flat-out perfect airplane. Fast, comfy; she has that lovely push into the seats when you push the throttles forward.

Fave helicopter: Bell 206B Jetranger. Fun to fly, tough, reliable and looks great too. Sweetest control balance I've ever flown.

Fave warbird: (flown): North American Harvard. I like trainers and this is the closest I've ever gotten to flying a fighter. I'm lucky that the Royal Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association is just a couple hours away from me. :wink: (Not flown): Avro Lancaster. The Canadian Warplane Heritage's Lanc flies regularly across the country; and nothing can match the roar of those four huge Merlins as she powers down the runway.

Cheers!

30 minutes ago, ThaZeus said:

Who doesn't love a classic Sopwith Camel?

The Red Baron? :wink:

15 hours ago, cantab said:

Concorde gets my vote. The airliner that brought supersonic flight to the masses. (Well, ish - Concorde tickets weren't cheap). Technically it was innovative, its performance was so far beyond anything else - not just airliners, it outran most of the jet fighters of its day in its trials and I believe it still has a longer supersonic range than anything else. And while the then-classified SR-71 was even faster it was diabolical operationally, whereas Concorde managed to make supersonic flight something for routine airliner operation. And like any great aircraft it looks brilliant.

Concorde_on_Bristol.jpg

I had opportunity to watch one take off once, JFK airport NY. Majestic, and L O U D.

17 hours ago, cantab said:

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

I had opportunity to watch one take off once, JFK airport NY. Majestic, and L O U D.

Fun FactTM:

"During British Airways trials in April 1985, Concorde was offered as a target to NATO fighters including F-15 Eagles, F-16 Fighting Falcons, F-14 Tomcats, Mirages, and F-104 Starfighters – but only Lightning XR749, flown by Mike Hale and described by him as "a very hot ship, even for a Lightning", managed to overtake Concorde on a stern conversion intercept."

Britain - our aircraft are so hot that our airliners make excellent supersonic penetrators. And our fighters are so hot that they can catch them :wink:

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

The Red Baron? :wink:

LOOL!

The Rafale gets my vote, this thing is majestic.

Of course the SU-27 familly is also one I love, along with the MiG-31.

As for civilian aircrafts, I must say I like the Airbus A-380, I got to see one fly at the Bourget in 2009 and this thing is so quiet!

french bias you say?

For rotary-wing aircraft I would have to say the RAH-66 Comanche, probably the most beautiful helicopter ever made.

boeing-boeing-rah-66-comanche-helicopter

For fixed-wing aircraft the spitfire wins it for me, especially among the later marks. They've got a certain elegance that you just don't see in most other WWII aircraft.

spitfire-005.jpg

Edited by Wraith977

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:14 AM, LN400 said:

For aircrafts, the Aérospatiale Alouette II hands down. That thing is sheer class.

We have one of those in the museum where I work. I find it a bit scary... but I find all helicopters a bit scary. :sticktongue:

jaXNDzi.jpg

dvjy492.jpg

Ours belonged to the French Navy, hence the wheels. The team that restored it found it in a barn in 2005 in this condition:

GLajEj8.jpg

I must confess that I'm a big fan of the Piaggio Avanti. It looks super awesome and it is much cheaper than a buisiness jet.

yPmhT0Y.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.