What is Kerbnet, and How Can I use It?

Hmmm. First, there are two completely separate things: CommNet, and KerbNet.

KerbNet is a thing about using probe cores to create maps of biomes and "anomalies". So I don't think that's what you mean.

I think you mean CommNet. CommNet is about creating a communication network. The thing is, Kerbin has ground stations. So, unless you have increased the difficulty settings, you do not really need a network around Kerbin. It helps a little when you are on the Mun or on Minmus to have a relay satellite or two around to make sure you can maintain your connection even when you can't see Kerbin.

So the important thing about CommNet is to create communication networks around other celestial bodies when you want to travel to them.

But in any case, you can certainly set up a little practice network around Kerbin just to see how it all works. Probes and ships can use what are called "direct" antennas. A direct anteanna can only connect to a relay antenna, or to the ground stations on Kerbin. Communication satellites need something called a "relay" antenna. A relay antenna will accept a signal from a direct antenna, and then route it forward to Kerbin. There is only one relay antenna available at the beginning of the game -- the HG5. So you will probably need that one. There are more relay antennas that you can unlock, further up the tech tree.

Once you understand that, then the only other really important thing you need to know is the antenna range equation: TotalRange = sqrt ( AntennaRange1 * AntennaRange2)

You can find the ranges of the various antennas in their part descriptions. You can put several antennas on a ship to make the range a little bigger.

So the overall answer to your question is that all you need to make a communication network is to launch some satellites with HG5 antennas on them. The satellites need to have probe cores, and solar panels.

notrealDannyDeVito,

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/KerbNet

^ This is what KerbNet is and how to use it.

What I think you're talking about is setting up a communications network. That's basically using relay antennas to extend the range and coverage of your communications for controlling remotely guided probes or transmitting science.

Best,
-Slashy

If I may hijack this thread, a I have noobish question since I usually do manned. If I were to send a probe to Duna, I would need a comm network there for my probe to be controllable. But how do I control the probes that will set up the comm network in the first place? :confused:

3 hours ago, A_name said:

If I may hijack this thread, a I have noobish question since I usually do manned. If I were to send a probe to Duna, I would need a comm network there for my probe to be controllable. But how do I control the probes that will set up the comm network in the first place? :confused:

Make sure it has enough signal strength to act as a relay. Also, don't wait to be occluded by Duna or Ike to perform a capture burn. You should also consider sending a ship carrying a small bundle of satellites (like 3 to 4) to make sure you can actually relay signal all around Duna's SoI.

It needs to be in range of the antennas at KSC (or one ground stations all over kerbin in normal difficulty settings) 

Tracking station antenna range is 2G, 50G or 250G according to level. 

Relay antennas work the same as direct antennas for the probe they are on. So, if you can relay a signal through a probe, it can also talk directly to Kerbin.

5 hours ago, A_name said:

Actually, (unless you click some buttons to put things in Hard mode) any probe that leaves Communication range still has "limited control". This limited control is good enough to get you into a stable orbit anywhere in the system.

If you add low power thrusters to your probe, you can even achieve high enough precision to fill satellite contracts, or land, in limited control mode.

So technically you don't need to set up a network at all. But if you want to, your relay sat can get to its destination orbit using this mode. It's harder to use than full control, because you can only use SAS to steer, and you only have Z/X throttle control. But that just makes it a little more challenging. :wink:

But in any case, the whole point of a relay sat is that its antenna is supposed to reach all the way back to Kerbin. If it doesn't then it isn't going to accomplish much as a relay sat.

Edited by bewing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.