Future of console updates (major Updates)

I'd think "around the same time" is relative based on how game development works, since Squad is focused on the PC and their partner (BiltWorks currently) would then port/update the console patch, which of course takes time.

With a long-term contract already in place, you'd expect it to roll it out sometime "Soon" after future major version updates. For example, 1.2 on PC was back in October and it's still "in dev" for consoles. (That delay could be related to changing console partners. If they had to find new console partners for each future update, that would be challenging).

This assumption is based on how they messaged providing 1.2 Loud & Clear for consoles and when it will come out (i.e. soon). The developers seem to truly care about the integrity of the game experience, regardless of the platform.

Strategically, supporting consoles makes sense if the revenue base is there. Going forward though depends on how KSP continues to sell on console.

Edited by scottadges

I also thought I'd add a link to a thread that @sal_vager posted back in August 2016 about the process dealing with Xbox & PSN certification. 

So no matter how fast Squad works, there is a re-certification each time they do a patch. 

If you've ever worked in developememt (web, apps) or games specifically, you know that certifying code is a constant game of whack-a-mole, including what sounds like a harrowing corporate process from Microsoft & Sony.

Best course of action IMO for us console players RE: getting updates: Just be patient, they'll get it done. They're dealing with a lot.

12 hours ago, scottadges said:

I have to say, although I'm sure at some level they appreciate the passion for the game demonstrated by creating a petition, this probably isn't helpful for Squad.

This kind of reaction from users to the fact that it takes for game development actually creates a negative response for most developers.

Sorry, but if you support and want to play the game, support the developers by having patience with their efforts in what is really a complicated process.

I agree with this statement to a point but I do believe that developers as a whole need to learn how to communicate with Thier players. All many of us ask is regular updates, maybe some info on whats holding them up or something they've got working and also some info on whether they're on schedule or behind, even if they don't tell what that schedule is

2 minutes ago, Broke dead dogg said:

All many of us ask is regular updates, maybe some info on whats holding them up or something they've got working and also some info on whether they're on schedule or behind, even if they don't tell what that schedule is

That's a fair point, I would agree there. Passionate fans & players want to feel like they're involved in the process, because the game is so important to us.

Having worked with and managed teams of developers myself, one thing they usually said was in effect, the time they spend explaining what's holding them up is time not spent working the code.

I learned they'll usually get more done if you let them work it out, and then ask nicely for whatever they can tell you. :rolleyes:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.