Why doesn't my craft have working comms

So here's the setup:

Craft 1 is in orbit around Bop, it has an RA-15

Craft 2 is in orbit around Pol, it has an RA-15 and a 88 88

Craft 1 has no signal, craft 2 has a signal back to Kerbin.  Craft 1 has a signal through to Craft 2.  Both craft have electricity.

I was under the assumption that craft 1 would be able to relay the signal through Craft 2 back to Kerbin?  I'm absolutely stumped as to why it's not working....

http://imgur.com/a/M0XD6

Like a steering wheel down my trousers, it's driving me nuts!  Any ideas?

Relay antennas do work as normal antennas, but they don't combine with normal antennas for relay purposes. Your 88-88 antenna can get a signal to and from Kerbin, but it can't be used to relay signals from other craft. You're only relaying using the little RA-15, which just doesn't cut it.

So your commnet visuals show the link from craft 2 to Kerbin with the 88-88, and they show the links between the local relays, but they aren't showing you that there's no relay connection from the local network to Kerbin.

28 minutes ago, Sonny_Jim said:

Ah ok, so it's not possible to use an RA-15 to connect to craft in the vicinity then use the 88 88 to push that data back to Kerbin.  That kinda sucks :\

It's not, but if you have access to the 88-88 you also have the RA-100. If you put a single RA-100 on craft 2 instead of the RA-15 and 88-88 you could get away with putting quite small antennas on anything else you send to Jool.

13 minutes ago, renhanxue said:

It's not, but if you have access to the 88-88 you also have the RA-100. If you put a single RA-100 on craft 2 instead of the RA-15 and 88-88 you could get away with putting quite small antennas on anything else you send to Jool.

Bit late for that :wink:  But hey, that's how the KSP cookie crumbles.  Time to fire off an RA-100 to Jool.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.