Project BABYLON: REBOOT!

Tada

5 hours ago, KenjiKrafts said:

Could be one of mine, I'm not to sure, also yes! Let's resume the thread!

So, if it's yours, it's fine, right?

Also, yes. Let's reboot the reboot (on the same thread)! I'm extremely busy this week (tech week and the performances for Guys and Dolls) but eventually I might take another turn (Turn 3 or 4 I think). I'd probably actually do something with the stuff on Laythe and add a station and SSTO (?) to Tylo.

6 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

So, if it's yours, it's fine, right?

Also, yes. Let's reboot the reboot (on the same thread)! I'm extremely busy this week (tech week and the performances for Guys and Dolls) but eventually I might take another turn (Turn 3 or 4 I think). I'd probably actually do something with the stuff on Laythe and add a station and SSTO (?) to Tylo.

I'm more than happy for you to use it.

12 hours ago, CalmLlama said:

How is the current save file handled?  It seems like we could write a simple program to combine multiple save files into a single one, key it to an upload.  Automatic backups.  Some sort of cloud storage. 

We have a cloud storage.

On 11/1/2017 at 4:48 PM, CalmLlama said:

How is the current save file handled?  It seems like we could write a simple program to combine multiple save files into a single one, key it to an upload.  Automatic backups.  Some sort of cloud storage. 

Links!

Project Babylon Reboot Save File Repository.
  Calendar.
  Optional Mission Flag.

We've had the best luck having each person upload a new zip file with the date in the file name for version control, so no one's contribution gets accidentally lost. The repository does have its own version control, but using dates in the name has just been easier! I like the idea of a multiple-save-combiner, but had trouble getting my own proof of concepts to work. It appears to be non-trivial, sadly. For now though, let me know if you have trouble getting the calendar or repository working, and I'd be happy to help.

Happy to have you aboard. Any/all missions are appreciated, be they small or large. As for design style, we've been pretty 'rule of cool'- the practicality of most major craft launched  is 'full Kerbal' at present :) . This said, if you bring a docking port or a KLAW on your craft, it can be refueled and reused as part of the greater fleet, which is a lovely thing. On the other hand, if you'd just like to fly things about, there's a ton of craft in LLO that need piloting to a final destination, including a constellation of... (12?) com/survey satellites with ~3km/sec each in the tanks. For your mission designs, there's plenty of free-to-use fuel floating around in both LKO and equatorial Laythe orbit in single use refueling craft, and I'm happy to pitch up a bit of extra if you've got something really big in mind. Just tidy up and deorbit the empties, yeah?

Have fun!

Thanks for the invite!!!  This is super cool. 

Are we using version 1.3.1?  Are any mods being used?

6 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

I like the idea of a multiple-save-combiner, but had trouble getting my own proof of concepts to work. It appears to be non-trivial, sadly. For now though, let me know if you have trouble getting the calendar or repository working, and I'd be happy to help.

The only way i know how to build it would be to break the save files into database tables via queries, then create a new query to combine all the wanted data, then use a script to turn the new data table into a save file.  I know there are better solutions with both Java and C++, but i'm still a novice with both; i think i know the logic though.  This would take me a large chunk of time to accomplish, but i believe it could be done... I'm not as confident it would be worth the time though.  Would there be more than a couple people using this?

Sorry man, that save is really crash happy.  I think its time for a re-boot. 

I reinstalled the save file and it worked again.  I'm trying to build a fuel base in the Jool system, and i'm trying to find a normal sized docking port for the plane thats en-rout. 

I made a kerbalX hangar for the craft i was trying to use, if anyone wants to check them out.  I've set up bases before...

https://kerbalx.com/hangars/25033

Edited by CalmLlama

Could I join in to add a large fuel crawler, a frigate, and a few vtol jets? I can also add a water bound base and possibly a submarine. If I can still build a working sub of course. It's been a while.

Also possibly a orbital ring spaceport.

And whatever the crud else I can get to laythe.

Would anyone mind if I added a few missile silos/probe silos just in case we need an emergency probe or something?

And or a military base?

Actually I might just deliver a bunch of rotating winged "planes in a box." The idea behind it is you can just precision drop a cargo container holding a small atmospheric plane from orbit and then set it up once you take it out of the box. You could also conceivably refold and reload it into the box for easy transit.  Some assembly required box contains large parts not to be used by space krakens. Mid flight wing rotation  not recommended due to risk of Rapid Unplanned Disassembly. ShadowGoat Corps is not responsible for any consequences caused due to faulty hinges. Do not attempt to fly with wings in storage position. Do not attempt to use in low oxygen  setting. Do not land in water. Do not forget to lock the wings in position.

The plane is a little hard to control but it's really small and I'm working on the problems. I'm going to need to clip in some vertical fins before it is fully functional. I also need to remove some dead weights on bird to rebalance the thrust.

It also is much better than the competition in some ways, such as the fact that the wings auto rotate the first time that they are used. The wings also don't misalign very often.

I sent a plane to laythe, but i messed up.  Its mid flight, and its on an intercept course, but it only has just over 500 dv left, and its approach is currently over 8k/s.  Its still a long ways out so there is time to correct the course... I'm thinking of loading from the previous save and re-flying the mission. 

My plane in a box is turning out quite well! I'm currently building some stock custom landing gear because there isn't a stock landing gear big enough for the plane to be able to roll out from under it. I've gotten the legs set up using docking ports and stock hinges so all I need to do now is add some wheels on the ends of them for shock absorbers, stick about 15 of them on a rocket, and fly it to laythe.

1 minute ago, ShadowGoat said:

Oh btw you are not getting 15 of those things. They are about 240 parts so you are getting 4. If anyone has a really buff computer and wants me to stick more on a ship and fly the mission themselves, be my guest.

Sorry for triple post.

Apology accepted. :)

Nice planes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.