NK-33 Engine (Now with pre-release!)

I decided to learn how to mod KSP, and this what I have so far.

Old dev pictures:

Spoiler

cHgq9wM.png?1

EdlSeuf.png?1

vNyMZIt.png?1

MQVJoRE.png?1

(Yeah, I know the textures are terrible.  I'm going to go ahead and try to get this into unity first, then I'll come back, re-UV unwrap it, and make better textures)

8FZNSOZ.png

nk33_silhouetted_1.jpg

7da0sY3.png

Thanks to InsaneDruid for help with edge splitting.

Pre-release:

Download at SpaceDock (Includes RO support!)

1.25m version (No RO support)

License:  88x31.png

Feedback is appreciated.  Also, sorry about textures not being DDS yet.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

Gimbals, shrouds, and FX now working!

yGrhiFS.png

For some reason, though, the shroud shows up in the VAB icon.

bOmPPkM.png

I think it's a unity setup problem, here's the unity hierarchy:

B7TvPhb.png?1

EDIT:

Got it!  I just added the Icon_Hidden custom tag to the shroud and it disappeared in the VAB icon.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

1 hour ago, Alcentar said:

-snip-

I wanted to ask how you are made  fairing invisible in the game on the selection screen?

You add a tag and call it "Icon_Hidden", then you can select the engine shroud meshes and set them to "Icon_Hidden".

roxJNpP.png

11 hours ago, liquidhype said:

You add a tag and call it "Icon_Hidden", then you can select the engine shroud meshes and set them to "Icon_Hidden".

[...]

Yep, that's what I did.

1 minute ago, KerbalMaster2016 said:

what's the delta-v of these engines

How do you mean?  Delta-V is a measure of rockets, not of engines.  It has a specific impulse of 265 at sea level, and 310 in vacuum, if that's what you mean.

Nice engine, good to have a different option for the NK33 other than the old 'SovietEngine' one.

What do you plan to create next? Most engines for most things have been modelled at least once, I think.

The only one I can think of that hasn't is nuclear thermal rockets, like NERVA. Atomic Age has some nice looking stock-alike looking ones, but nothing that shoots for the real thing.

A person or two has tried, and collected reference images, but nobody has completed anything.

nerva-engine_800.jpg

14 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

Nice engine, good to have a different option for the NK33 other than the old 'SovietEngine' one.

What do you plan to create next? Most engines for most things have been modelled at least once, I think.

The only one I can think of that hasn't is nuclear thermal rockets, like NERVA. Atomic Age has some nice looking stock-alike looking ones, but nothing that shoots for the real thing.

A person or two has tried, and collected reference images, but nobody has completed anything.

[...]

Thanks!

That sounds like a good next project, I'll take a look at that after I finish my new texture for the NK33.

A minor consideration.   And please, this is a cool rocket you have developed, but there are at last count 7 NK-33 engines out there and downloadable today.  

With the exclusion of the now defunct KOSMOS URM mod, yours is the best looking NK-15/NK-33 for thrust structure and employment in game.  Yours also uses much less memory than any NK-33 I have on my system except the Bobcat Soviet Engines NK-33. 

Instead of starting a new engine, could you maybe actually make this engine (either by copy or overwrite) into the actually flown on the N-1 NK-15?   Mostly it would be a CFG change with a minor tweak to the texture (NK-15 instead of NK-33.)  I would suggest lowering the G tolerance of the NK-15 as the engine was more susceptible to POGO.

And if you feel really ambitious, the same basic plumbing can be used for the NK-43, NK-15V and possibly the NK-33M (AKA 11D51M)

http://www.astronautix.com/n/nk-15.html

3 hours ago, Pappystein said:

A minor consideration.   And please, this is a cool rocket you have developed, but there are at last count 7 NK-33 engines out there and downloadable today.  

With the exclusion of the now defunct KOSMOS URM mod, yours is the best looking NK-15/NK-33 for thrust structure and employment in game.  Yours also uses much less memory than any NK-33 I have on my system except the Bobcat Soviet Engines NK-33. 

Instead of starting a new engine, could you maybe actually make this engine (either by copy or overwrite) into the actually flown on the N-1 NK-15?   Mostly it would be a CFG change with a minor tweak to the texture (NK-15 instead of NK-33.)  I would suggest lowering the G tolerance of the NK-15 as the engine was more susceptible to POGO.

And if you feel really ambitious, the same basic plumbing can be used for the NK-43, NK-15V and possibly the NK-33M (AKA 11D51M)

http://www.astronautix.com/n/nk-15.html

If you use realism overhaul, you'll be glad to know that it now supports this mod.  Not the latest release, but the master branch.  A patch to realistic stats in stock KSP would probably be unbalanced, but I could make one if you don't use RO.  

As to the textures, I'll take a look at firespitter's texture switcher.

I was thinking of making some of the other variants too.

Thanks for your feedback!

Very good work! I noticed that you have some problems, for example to change the texture format use the program DDS4KSP, you can find it on the forums, or simply search the Internet, it is very easy and simple convert even mbm format. in dds.
Just does not work emissive texture, or rather it is not and if you want I can help you set it up but only if you are using Unity 4.x.x, rather than Unity 5. :)

2 hours ago, Alcentar said:

Very good work! I noticed that you have some problems, for example to change the texture format use the program DDS4KSP, you can find it on the forums, or simply search the Internet, it is very easy and simple convert even mbm format. in dds.
Just does not work emissive texture, or rather it is not and if you want I can help you set it up but only if you are using Unity 4.x.x, rather than Unity 5. :)

Thanks! 

I meant to do that in the last release, but I forgot.  I'll get it done in the next release.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great already! I think the end of the nozzle needs to be a little less outwardly flared though. Basically, pointing straight into the ground at the nozzle exit.

I've seen a few different visions of the flight model, one with a metallic nozzle, one with what looks like an ablative/carbon one.

http://william-black.deviantart.com/art/NERVA-II-Diagram-563531536

I think the metallic nozzle is more realistic for the period, although it will be trickier to model and texture. I could also be incorrect about the realism. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.