NK-33 Engine (Now with pre-release!)

20 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

Looks great already! I think the end of the nozzle needs to be a little less outwardly flared though. Basically, pointing straight into the ground at the nozzle exit.

I've seen a few different visions of the flight model, one with a metallic nozzle, one with what looks like an ablative/carbon one.

http://william-black.deviantart.com/art/NERVA-II-Diagram-563531536

I think the metallic nozzle is more realistic for the period, although it will be trickier to model and texture. I could also be incorrect about the realism. :P

Right now I'm working from this, which shows the nozzle more flared. I think it might be a trick of the perspective though.

NERVAenginemockup-660x971.jpg

Here's what it looks like less flared:

NMxOxX9.png?1

@stratochief66 @Mad Rocket Scientist I've got that Nerva engine modeled and have had it lying around for a while. If one of you wants the model, I'd be happy to donate it. It's not like I'm ever going to use it anyway. The model is not UV-unwrapped and textured, but this engine is quick to unwrap and does not require much detail in terms of texturing. Let me know if you want it, and I'll hand over the .blend file. 

Nerva Engine:

1OUq1jY.png

15 hours ago, liquidhype said:

@stratochief66 @Mad Rocket Scientist I've got that Nerva engine modeled and have had it lying around for a while. If one of you wants the model, I'd be happy to donate it. It's not like I'm ever going to use it anyway. The model is not UV-unwrapped and textured, but this engine is quick to unwrap and does not require much detail in terms of texturing. Let me know if you want it, and I'll hand over the .blend file. 

Nerva Engine:

Reveal hidden contents

1OUq1jY.png

Wow, that looks amazing! Are you sure that I can use it? I probably won't be able to do it justice with my textures.

On 3/4/2017 at 7:47 PM, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Wow, that looks amazing! Are you sure that I can use it? I probably won't be able to do it justice with my textures.

You can do it! And if you eventually want to re-texture it in more detail, you can. But there is no reason to be ashamed of a decent first-draft texturing.

@liquidhype your previous texture for that engine doesn't look bad at all:

3KYvLak.png

Edited by stratochief66

36 minutes ago, stratochief66 said:

You can do it! And if you eventually want to re-texture it in more detail, you can. But there is no reason to be ashamed of a decent first-draft texturing.

3KYvLak.png

The engine is not really textured. It is only a diffuse color map with an AO-map multiplied on top of it and some metallic effects around the nozzle. One could definitely do a lot more with it texture-wise. It looks OK in-game when the emissives kicks in.

1 hour ago, stratochief66 said:

[...]

Thanks!

38 minutes ago, liquidhype said:

The engine is not really textured. It is only a diffuse color map with an AO-map multiplied on top of it and some metallic effects around the nozzle. One could definitely do a lot more with it texture-wise. It looks OK in-game when the emissives kicks in.

I'll give it a try, thanks.

In other news, I've tried my hand at Porkjet's concept for the Spark engine:

rC1VhkX.png

• 1 month later...

@Mad Rocket Scientist   Would you like to put these engine mods on CKAN?  Also,

Why don't you merge the two NK-33 mods into one? Doesn't make sense to have a single part in a mod.  What I'd do is have a single directory (for now, call it MadScientist) as follows:

GameData/MadScientist/Parts/NK33

GameData/MadScientist/Parts/NK33_125

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@Mad Rocket Scientist   Would you like to put these engine mods on CKAN?  Also,

I do, and I plan to try spacedock's CKAN indexer.

Why don't you merge the two NK-33 mods into one? Doesn't make sense to have a single part in a mod.  What I'd do is have a single directory (for now, call it MadScientist) as follows:

GameData/MadScientist/Parts/NK33

GameData/MadScientist/Parts/NK33_125

There's a problem with putting them both in the same download; the default one has RO support, while the 1.25m one doesn't. Since I think most people who use this mod want to use it with RO, I don't want to add extra unsupported parts in the same download.

EDIT:

To clarify, you're right, I should clean up the structure of the folders that are installed, so the parts go one folder for both mods. I'll do that on the next release when I make the textures DDS and get surface attachment working right.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

• 1 month later...

I've downloaded the NK-33 (which looks fantastic) to test with Tantares; will see what happens!

And if I may, that NERVA looks like a beast! If you plan to configure it for use with Hydrogen, may I recommend scaling it to 5m for BDB? It would look phenomenal on top of a modified Saturn V!  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.