Community Mods and Plugins Library

Gaarst

• 1 month later...

I'm (finally) back to the library, after a pause of 3(?) months.

I'm continuing to move mods to the spreadsheet, I have about 25% done (300 out of 1200) so far. Hopefully I won't disappear for 3 months too often and the rest will be done faster.

I intend to make the spreadsheet the main library: although incomplete it is the most updated since I don't intend to touch the "thread library" too much. I have added a mark showing how far the spreadsheet reaches (just after Tech Tree mods as I'm writing); for mods in categories before this mark go to the spreadsheet, otherwise you have a 3 months outdated library (it's still fairly complete, don't worry).

I probably will not be adding new mods to the library until I'm done moving everything to the spreadsheet, so bear in mind that mods younger than about 3 months will not be listed.

Edited by Gaarst
Typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/02/2018 at 2:25 AM, maculator said:

Science - Full Reward (In my signature) is compatible with 1.3.1.

I've tagged it as such.

On 22/02/2018 at 6:07 PM, MacLuky said:

Hi

the taurus (lifters) & amarok (spacecraft) mod is 1.3.1 

Lionhead launchers works on 1.3.1

IRAS and other stuff works on 1.3.1 too

And many thanks for maintaining this awesome list!

I've tagged your Space Solutions mod as compatible with 1.3.1 on both the main thread and the spreasheet, and I have added your Taurus & Amarok and Lionhead mods to the spreadsheet. Thanks for the support!

I've also noticed that I somehow missed the "In-flight Information" and "Autopilot" categories from the main thread when writing the spreadsheet, this is now corrected. The first category has been split between "In-flight Information" (readouts and info) and the new "In-flight Utility" (misc useful stuff: navball, action groups... useable in flight) categories.

I'm also thinking, since I've changed a few categories in the spreadsheet, I should maybe write descriptions of the new categories somewhere for people to understand them better; this would clutter the OP even more so I'm not too keen on doing it now, maybe when I'm done copying mods around.

Anyway, almost 500 mods done, 400 more in the main list and 400 other in the "outdated" list. Then I'll have to add the 4000 released since whenever I stopped adding new mods...

Edited by Gaarst

On 01/03/2018 at 4:38 PM, maculator said:

Didn't see this one in the list:

It's one of the most important mods in my opinion, should be listed.

I've added it to the spreadsheet, thank you.

1 hour ago, Gaarst said:

I'm done moving mods to the spreadsheet, so I've rewritten the main topic! The spreadsheet is now the main resource.

I will be updating my mod from 1.3 to 1.4; should be done by next Friday... :D

2 hours ago, Gaarst said:

I'm done moving mods to the spreadsheet, so I've rewritten the main topic! The spreadsheet is now the main resource.

Just in time for everything to be outdated by the 1.4 release. :o

2 hours ago, Busaryda86 said:

ok I'm confused. How do we download or access the mods that were put on a spreadsheet? I clicked on the spreadsheet, and see the list, but the links do not take me anywhere. Am I missing something? 

It's because Google's spreadsheet links are a bit weird. Instead of simply clicking or double-clicking on the link to access it, you have to click once and then click on the small window that pops up above. See the 1869SM link on the picture:

jj6oEV7.png

I don't think there's much I can do about it.

20 hours ago, Gaarst said:

It's because Google's spreadsheet links are a bit weird. Instead of simply clicking or double-clicking on the link to access it, you have to click once and then click on the small window that pops up above. See the 1869SM link on the picture:

jj6oEV7.png

I don't think there's much I can do about it.

Got it, thank you!! 

@Gaarst

Suggestions:

• Change the default access to "commenting" not "watching", so mods autor can pull-request changes in the Google Sheets
  • Split Localization column to every language so user can sort by a target language (content can be "✔", or "link to localization PR")
  • I was trying make localization base table, idea didn't stick, but you can use it for update localization "ru" column: link
  • Merging name and link columns 
Edited by flart

29 minutes ago, flart said:

@Gaarst

Suggestions:

• Change the default access to "commenting" not "watching", so mods autor can pull-request changes in the Google Sheets
  • Split Localization column to every language so user can sort by a target language (content can be "✔", or "link to localization PR")
  • I was trying make localization base table, idea didn't stick, but you can use it for update localization "ru" column: link
  • Merging name and link columns 

These are very good ideas.

1. I was waiting a bit for that one because the spreadsheet used to be quite outdated (and in a way it still is). I'll enable comments when I will have added the newer mods that are not listed, so that I don't get flooded for something I'm about to do.
  2. I wanted to avoid having 1000 columns but this actually makes a lot of sense.
  3. Thanks for the list, I'll update the Russian translations when I get the time to.
  4. The link column is a bit useless I agree. However deleting it means getting through every single mod to move the link, I may do it some day but not now.

Edit: translation columns splitting is done, that wasn't really hard.

Edited by Gaarst

Why is colonists! listed as 1.4 but science - full reward! not? How is the list updating? Manually? Via Spacedock? Via ckan?

Anyways both of my mods work in the current version of ksp.

Thanks for the list.

Have loved your previous work, Gaarst, but this spreadsheet thing... Will you update this forum post from it's contents, or is it entirely useless now?

I am not interested in complicated faff known as google database or whatever. I realise it's a real handful to manage, and have suggestions I can't really voice properly, but in the end I have a URL (for this forum post). When I need to check for addon updates, that URL is where I go.

Frankly, Take-Two should be paying you for this :)

17 hours ago, surge said:

Have loved your previous work, Gaarst, but this spreadsheet thing... Will you update this forum post from it's contents, or is it entirely useless now?

I am not interested in complicated faff known as google database or whatever. I realise it's a real handful to manage, and have suggestions I can't really voice properly, but in the end I have a URL (for this forum post). When I need to check for addon updates, that URL is where I go.

Think of it this way: To maintain this as a forum-posted list in the old format would be a constant job - as it was it took 2 people and a lot of others assisting to keep the original dataset going.  And not only is it a lot of time spent on the message and format, It becomes wildly inaccurate in a short amount of time because the apps change daily, requiring nearly constant editing.  So its not the data you are having an issue with.  You sound as if you are wanting a specific format/presentation for the data.  The data is all there in the spreadsheet: I'd suggest you can grab the contents of the spreadsheet, put them into a forum based format, do the mark-up (tags, colors, etc), and post it. Then commit to doing that every day or two to update your post here on the forum.  More work than you want to do? Then why do you expect someone else to do it?  See what I mean.

Perhaps some scripting guru will make something that will detect when an update has been made, then grab the latest copy of the spreadsheet, then create, markup and properly format a forum post, and then top-post it to the thread. Even then, some people will gripe with the order in which things are posted/sorted, because it doesn't match how they wish to search.  Until then, grab the spreadsheet for yourself, and try using it.  Its rather easy.

Also, to be real, this is still Squad running these forums on a daily basis, not TakeTwo, thank goodness, so they have neither the resources nor the responsibility to track and trace user-generated content  beyond providing these forums and a bit of moderation.  It means Squad is not needing to divert money away from bug fixes and updates to chase down addons.  I'm sure there's some customer relations person a Squad that is also quite happy to NOT have that in his/her job description. Also, I would rather the creative people (mod authors), and us (the grateful users), be the ones updating this, that way we can drive things our own way.   Its what makes KSP such a good community - we can and will do things ourselves.

Edited by Murdabenne
argh typos!

On 14/03/2018 at 8:00 PM, maculator said:

Why is colonists! listed as 1.4 but science - full reward! not? How is the list updating? Manually? Via Spacedock? Via ckan?

Anyways both of my mods work in the current version of ksp.

Thanks for the list.

It's manually updated when I happen to randomly click on a mod that has been updated. I apparently happened to update the status Colonists, now both your mods are written as compatible with 1.4!

16 hours ago, surge said:

The forum post will still contain notes about the library and occasional updates if I feel they are important enough for them to be there. But the thread gives a place to discuss the library with people, and it will contain a lot more updates on what I'm doing.

As Murdabenne said in the post above, it's a lot easier to maintain for me and actually gives more options when searching for mods (which besides from archving is supposed to be the main goal of this list: make finding mods easier than going through pages of Add-on Releases). I realise it may be a bit less intuitive than the previous format in plain text but the effort to learn it worth it.

I'm happy you like the library, but as I said in another post recently: I'm just copy-pasting mods while modders actually make your game better. The library is just me trying to be useful to the modding community because I know I'll never be bothered learning how to write a mod so I do this because it's really simple, just tedious. I wouldn't accept a penny from T2 before I was sure that every modder got paid first, I feel like they deserve (and get, justly so) a lot more recognition than I do because they make content.

Useless?  "Faffing"? :rolleyes: Come on man, that's way off base.

The spreadsheet is the best answer available, and it is simple to use - if you can put a Kerbal on the Mun, then this shouldn't be much of a challenge.  So please don't take this as an insult, but take a few minutes to learn to use a spreadsheet - its the right tool for this particular job. The spreadsheet will allow sorting by columns so you can more easily find things based on name, function, author, version,  or even release date.  Just a few mouse clicks, and you have it. 

Example: Say you want to find out if your favorite flag mod, by
@BestModderEvar, for version 1.X.Y, has been updated since you downloaded it 21 days ago.  The easiest way is to use CKAN, but suppose that (fictional) author doesn't do CKAN, so now you have to search.  So now you go searching and reading forum threads - except that the forums are down, or they crashed and lost your bookmarked thread.  But the spreadsheet is there - after all its Google.  With the spreadsheet, its pretty simple: sort by columns is your friend, and a few clicks later you know if that special @BestModderEvar (sort by author) Flag  (sort by CATEGORY "cosmetic") has been updated since you last downloaded it (sort by date).  And on top of that, there is possibly a direct link at hand to download it, bypassing the forums.  (example: GitHub or Spacedock link instead of a forum link to the link).  And the nice thing is, you can check on that author's other stuff right at hand (sort by author) - or even simply sort by version and then date and see what other addons have been recently updated for your specific version of KSP.

Its simple a better tool. Learn It. Know It. Live It.  
:wink:

Edited by Murdabenne

Yeah, my web browser has this "new" thing called "Search" - I just press '/' and type what I'm looking for.

As I'm well aware, *maintaining* this list must be a real PITA, but for "users", forcing them to use an unnecessarily complicated spreadsheet is a bit ridiculous. Anyway, it's Gaarst's decision, I'm not going to complain.

Edited by surge