KSP Weekly: We’re turning into polyglots!

SQUAD

11 minutes ago, something said:

zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz - sorry fell asleep while reading last week's devnotes or whatever they're called nowadays...

I feel the same way - they have been dropping hints at what is beyond the localization project -- something awesome -- starting more than 4 weeks ago and we still haven't been given any information it.

Honestly, it seems to me the KSP Weekly seems "empty" mostly because the main project they've got going at the moment is localization. I see no problem with this. Would I--a native English speaker--have rather had a career overhaul or a new planet? Sure, but localization will open the entire game up to whole new audiences, not to mention generate lots of new sales that, hopefully, will pay for KSP to keep getting updates for a while longer.

That said, I would still like news of the big super-secret "feature"--even if that news is just that it's been shelved and we should quit badgering them about it.

4 minutes ago, something said:

Localization won't open the game to a whole new audience. It is as if you would pretend to gain users from the US if you introduced an option to display imperial or US custom units instead of the SI.

So you'd happily buy a game in a language you don't understand? Or learn a new language just so you can play it? (I don't know, maybe you would, but I wouldn't.)

Honestly I don't know whether we're talking about a hundred new sales, a thousand, or a million, but I think it's safe to say plenty of people will be interested in playing KSP in their own languages who wouldn't have been interested otherwise. And even if it's not, I think making the game more enjoyable and accessible for the non-(native)-English speakers who already own it would be worth the effort. Even if it means the rest of us have to wait slightly longer to get prettier rocket parts and clouds on Kerbin.

Frankly, if you're just determined to be annoyed with Squad I can't help you. Personally I prefer not to be annoyed with them if possible, even when I disagree with their decisions.

58 minutes ago, something said:

Localization won't open the game to a whole new audience.

Er, yes it will. This is not as simple as a paradigm shift (e.g. your 'imperial units' argument), this is like telling a blind person to read a book. Put the book in braille and perhaps they can, but if not...

3 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

What does ^^^^ mean?

Retopology means reworking the 3D model of the Kerbals to make their movements and physics more interesting or realistic, and cause less epic kraken attacks.

4 hours ago, EasyAce said:

You've kept talking about "localization" for months. This weekly, im sure you use the word at least 10 times. For a guy who don't know what that is, it sounds extremely boring.

Can you please explain? You talk about it like it is sooo sexy.

It means the game is translated into many more languages, and therefore available to users of those languages, increasing the market exposure to a much larger audience. Put simply, this is good news if we want to keep development going, because if KSP stops making money the gravy train just stops dead. Bigger audience = more potential profits = yes please for everyone but especially Squad.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

1 hour ago, something said:

Tell a mentally disabled person to solve differential equations... Comparing blindness, a physical disability, to laziness (not learning your 4th foreign language) is just hypocritical...

Please stop, you are wrong.

Tell a mentally disabled person to solve differential equations... Comparing blindness, a physical disability, to laziness (not learning your 4th foreign language) is just hypocritical...

Look, in the kindest possible way this is just silly. Of course I am not saying blindness is like laziness, that would be absurd. And frankly if someone has mastered 3 foreign languages already they're probably the last person I would accuse of sloth.

If someone doesn't speak English, that's a major turn off to playing a game for which almost all the text is written in English. For every single such person to learn English would be a pretty demanding way to work around this problem, and frankly for most such people it probably isn't even a practical or affordable option. On the other hand, translating the game into manifold languages for the benefit of people who don't speak English but do speak another major world language is pretty undemanding, and is a very practical option for Squad with direct benefits to them and the future of KSP development.

I'm not even really sure why we're still talking about this.

Stop it. Get some help.

2 hours ago, something said:

Squad aim for this game to appeal to a very wide audience. It's one reason why the community rules are framed in the way that they are. A good part of the audience they are aiming at, is "people who don't speak much English." Or maybe "people who would prefer to read in their own language."

It is not "lazy" to be ignorant of languages outside of your own country, or to simply prefer to converse or to read and write in your first language. It is perhaps, though, ignorant to accuse such people of laziness. Unfortunately, we are all ignorant in some way or another. Nobody is omniscient.

I've been hired to work with the rest of the QA staff, to help this game to be the best that it can be, by people who seem to know what they are doing with regards where their potential markets are, and who is buying their game. Localisation options have been a request by many actual and potential users for a very long time, and now they are finally being worked on.

I'm sorry if KSP Weekly isn't as exciting as you'd like. I will attempt to supply @UomoCapra and @Badie with more explosions and screaming kerbals in future. However, bear in mind that my time is limited, and working with the rest of QA, the dev team, and the excellent localisation volunteers takes priority.

WIth that now said, I would appreciate it if this thread gets itself back on the rails, with a whole lot less insulting commentary from all involved.

Thankyou.

18 hours ago, SQUAD said:

They’ve also been working on ironing out the runway seam alignment issues. JPLRepo has refactored and aligned the Tier3 Runway and begun working on the Tier2 Runway. The Devs have also begun looking into the terrain issues that you all have been reporting.

This. This bug is so damn annoying. Those terrain seams are really deadly...

Now I'm getting excited about next patch. Localisation is kinda meh... 

Retopology sound interesting though. Kerbals in game could use some more animations (accessible by mods.... :wink:). Also it would be extremely cool to have diverse kerbals or... even customization?... XCOM - like...

5 hours ago, Hotaru said:

localization will open the entire game up to whole new audiences, not to mention generate lots of new sales that, hopefully, will pay for KSP to keep getting updates for a while longer.

I think this logic makes sense, from a business perspective, if they want to drive more sales, hire more developers, improve features, then they can open up new markets and more users.

I play on Xbox (don't have a PC) so I don't have direct experience with Steam, but I assume it segments by language? i.e. you can buy games for your specific language?

2 hours ago, scottadges said:

I think this logic makes sense, from a business perspective, if they want to drive more sales, hire more developers, improve features, then they can open up new markets and more users.

I play on Xbox (don't have a PC) so I don't have direct experience with Steam, but I assume it segments by language? i.e. you can buy games for your specific language?

Assuming the game you want supports it, you can select which language you prefer in your Steam options, and the game will be downloaded with the correct language. You should be able to decide this on a per-game basis as well as globally.

Once KSP is updated, Store and GOG purchasers should also be able to access different variants (details on how that will happen tba). It will not require multiple purchases.

Edit: To clarify, when I say "per game" I do not mean "per KSP save-game". I've just been asked about that. No, KSP will only be one language at a time (although you should be able to re-download the game in whatever language you like).

Edited by technicalfool
Clarification.

19 hours ago, SQUAD said:
Our friends at Blitworks continue to advance with the console update, they are now working to adapt all the building and editor UIs to be more gamepad-friendly, which is a laborious but necessary improvement to the UI. We are very happy to be working with them and we’re excited to bring Loud and Clear to consoles!

As an enthusiastic (read: thoroughly addicted) Xbox player, nothing would make me happier right now than a controller-friendly update to the UI to build  and edit crazy spacecraft.

Except maybe a controller-friendly UI for controlling and manipulating Maneuver Nodes!

Thanks for working hard to provide support for us inferior console players. ;-) We do really love this game too! 

6 hours ago, Hotaru said:

Honestly I don't know whether we're talking about a hundred new sales, a thousand, or a million, but I think it's safe to say plenty of people will be interested in playing KSP in their own languages who wouldn't have been interested otherwise. And even if it's not, I think making the game more enjoyable and accessible for the non-(native)-English speakers who already own it would be worth the effort. Even if it means the rest of us have to wait slightly longer to get prettier rocket parts and clouds on Kerbin.

Truth is, I love that KSP is already reaching around the world. I now have friends in more countries than I can list. And I'm really hoping the localization project expands this even more! I can wait for more parts if it means more players and forum members to make friends with. 

:D

1 hour ago, scottadges said:

Coffee Tea Party by @EBOSHI

Now that is just IMPRESSIVE to get that into space. :cool:

This is the one that got my vote.  :wink:

2 hours ago, technicalfool said:

Nobody is omniscient.

One would need to be omniscient to be able to state that with 100% certitude. :wink:

2 hours ago, technicalfool said:

I will attempt to supply @UomoCapra and @Badie with more explosions and screaming kerbals in future.

Finally, focus on the Really Important Stuffs. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.