The Fancy Probes Challenge

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I'd like to submit the Fontanes class probe from my near-future real Solar System save.

It is designed around modded parts from DMagic Orbital Science, and the reactors and ion propulsion are provided by Near Future. It is meant to be launched via spaceplane and assembled in orbit, then boosted out of Earth's gravity well by a conventional chemical transfer stage.

7wR6v0U.png

The dual reactors are mounted on extendable booms and are shielded to protect the probe core and science package. This is just before orbital insertion, slipping inside the rings of Saturn.

QzHstvn.png?1

Once at escape velocity, with the incredible efficiency of the dual stage 4-grid ion engines, it can go anywhere in the system, even orbiting multiple moons of the gas giants. This is Fontanes Three above the hellish world of Io.

YT3Wvtf.png

I like the practical, plausible looking designs of @eloquentJane and @Randazzo (ie: shielding the probe core and fuel tanks in a bus, mounting the RTG on a boom, etc...) as well as the over-the-top"moar antennae" of @Just Jim's and @mobylettespaceindustries's designs. @Veeltch's is pretty cute and wonderfully compact though too.

I really enjoyed this challenge!  It's nice to do something for the aesthetics and not for a pass or fail.  Especially when it produces screenshots like this:

kOXgv3j.png

Anyway, the Mullet Dyne Acturus launch vehicle did a superb job, and the Laythe explorer reached it's destination to study the system, even if the lander didn't quite work!  Full mission report here.

SM

• 2 weeks later...

http://imgur.com/oPwOf30f

On the launchpad...

http://imgur.com/0YnkzOv

Liftoff!  The target is in sight!

http://imgur.com/WSfdsIF

Solid boosters are ejected, second stage is burning!

http://imgur.com/U08B6ah

Second stage is ejected.

http://imgur.com/ePbolBv

Third stage is burning!

http://imgur.com/TylHlkJ

We are here!

http://imgur.com/KnvfRN9

http://imgur.com/pN89ica

http://imgur.com/GN97qwW

For your consideration, I present:

1XXHATL.png

The pokey probe. Contains a science array, a bunch of aesthetic antennae, a dome, and an ion drive. A quick plug and chug equation found the delta v at about 9250m/s, so it should have quite a range if you have the patience.

ZoLTTxA.png

And this is my wondrously inefficient launcher.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my entry:

It was a difficult launch to make, which is fitting for the satellite itself.

EDIT: I realized that the satellite with panels extended isn't in the video, so I got a screenshot of it:

LgYxHcP.jpg

It's not modded, either, but something like TweakScale would have helped a lot, Oh well.

EDIT 2: I realized it doesn't have a name yet, so I am officially christening it "Space Is Hard". *smashes champagne bottle*

Edited by spacebrick3

I've somewhat neglected this thread of late, for which I apologize. There have been some pretty great entries.

@UnusualAttitude I really like the design of your Fontanes space probes. They have some nice realistic design considerations (like the shielded reactors) and I like that they deviate from the common layout wherein the longest axis is the one aligned with the thrust vector.

@Speeding Mullet Both the space probe and its launch vehicle have a lot of great details. I think you made very good use of structural parts, and spin-stabilizing the Laythe lander was a nice extra touch.

@Calvin_Maclure One of the things that stood out most to me about your Duna Multi-Spectral Satellite was the fuel tank layout, which I thought was quite a clever way of making the design compact without sacrificing the structural elements.

@DerekL1963 Like you said, a very functional-looking design. It looks quite convenient for launching, particularly if you were to launch several at once for a relay network.

@Calvin_Maclure That Duna SAR Altimetry satellite is another really nice design. It looks quite functional and I like the fact that it uses RCS instead of reaction wheels (or at least visible reaction wheels) for attitude control.

@Veeltch That design is very cleverly compact. I quite like asymmetrical space probes, and yours is very nice.

2 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

@Calvin_Maclure One of the things that stood out most to me about your Duna Multi-Spectral Satellite was the fuel tank layout, which I thought was quite a clever way of making the design compact without sacrificing the structural elements.

@Calvin_Maclure That Duna SAR Altimetry satellite is another really nice design. It looks quite functional and I like the fact that it uses RCS instead of reaction wheels (or at least visible reaction wheels) for attitude control.

Well thanks! Always appreciated to have your work recognized. And yes, the Duna SAR Altimetry sat does not have any reaction wheels in it, save the ones incorporated in the probe core. Reaction wheel op :P

@Probodobodyne QBE Wing segments used as structural parts is a great design choice. I would question the use of ridiculously inefficient monopropellant engines on the same vehicle as ion engines, but in terms of pure aesthetics the space probe looks great.

@roboslacker That's an incredibly unique space probe, and I like the structural cage around the probe core.

@spacebrick3 A very entertaining entry. I think it sums up many people's feelings towards KSP.

@proteasome I like the looks of that probe. The layout is nice and although it doesn't appear to have many parts, it's still not exactly lacking in detail. Your spaceplane is also quite aesthetically-pleasing.

@luizopiloto I saw that space telescope in the shuttle challenge and I'm still incredibly impressed by it. It has some of the cleverest uses of stock parts that I've seen. Structural panel hexagons...

The "Relay Flatpack" was not designed for beauty. It is just what happened when I tried to make a compact relay probe using the largest relay dish, with a built-in engine and fuel supply.

Since I could not reduce the circumference of the dish, I tried minimizing the use of the one dimension I had control over. When I was done, I did add 8 parts only for the looks: two lights, and those six Communotron 16 antennas. It also doesn't really need all six solar panels to work.

I'm not sure at the moment, but I think this probe carries north of 2000 m/s of delta-v. Weighs just under 5 tons fully fueled.

On 04/02/2017 at 2:05 AM, eloquentJane said:

Mission objective: design an uncrewed space probe that looks good. It should also be able to go to somewhere, and should have a purpose beyond aesthetics.

The challenge is fairly simple, and your entry just has to comply with the following guidelines.

• Your space probe must look good.
  • Your space probe should be able to get at least as far as Kerbin orbit, and possibly beyond. Destination is irrelevant, but at the very least it should be able to go to orbit.
  • Your space probe needs to be able to do something.
  • Mods are allowed so long as they are not cheaty.
  • Cheating of any form is not permitted. Your space probe must be able to reach its destination legitimately.

I think I got all those points at least:

j6vi6Hv.png

The 'SpaceMordor' is a fully Low Kerbal Polar Orbit capable spy satellite, with Relay and Resource Exploitation Systems.  Capable of indefinite, nuclear powered loitering around Kerbin, this is the ultimate (and completely impractical!) satellite for all your getting out of the Third Age needs.

Launcher used:  Itself (Yes, Fully SSTO!)

Mods Used:

B9 procedural wings, SpaceY Expanded, ScanSat, KJR.

DD Rockets Inc problems may not be overly fancy, but our design aesthetic is to keep them as simple as possible, and we think that also makes them look quiet beautiful.

"Moho Express" - First Probe to fly-by Moho.

Z9mQMTQ.png

"Belter 1" - Ion Propulsion heading for Dres (and the Asteroid Belt since I am running OPM).

xvrqR0i.jpg

"Duna Venturer" - Lander Section shown at Duna's North Pole.

BLzk5RZ.png

TrollSat-1:

Spoiler

Lifter: 4Q8kbPL.jpg

On escape trajectory (of Kerbol): ocuqTbn.jpg

Bill: Wait Jeb, this thing is escaping Kerbol. You have it more than tiny antenna right?

Jeb: Don't worry, I've got you covered... XQ7TF1k.jpg

(Past orbit of Eeloo): xxb2dwf.jpg

Bob: Dammit Jeb...

Edited by Skylon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.