How to make planes pitch sharper?

Title. So far in my almost 3 year karrer I only made a working plane on Friday. I've made 2 working ones so far but both are slow at pitching. So I wonder how does one make something pitch faster? (Except for more ailerons and stuff like that)

Edited by Nathaniel411

Moving the centre of gravity forward (or further from the elevators) increases the pitching moment. However it entirely depends on the plane you have made because if you pitch too hard and increase the angle of attack too much then the plane might flip out of control.

Can you post a picture?

Put control surfaces as far from center of mass as you can, as it gives bigger torque for the control.

Also, it's okay to put center of lift just behind and higher of the center of mass. As long as center of drag is behind the center of mass, its head will fall on stalling. Just make the tail more draggier.

1 hour ago, Nathaniel411 said:

I'm on phone, so can't really post a picture, but it is essentially Aeris 1A without the front elevators and a whiplash engine. So by farther CoM you mean just make the CoL farther from the CoM? If it is so thank you for the quick answer.:D

Nearer to the CoM. The closer it is, the faster you can pitch -- and the more unstable your plane will be. Big reaction wheels can also help a plane create pitch.

Thing is CONTROL SURFACES (elevons, steerable fins, canards) should be as far from COM as possible - as far forward/back for pitch.

My recent preferred approach is slats. Elevons placed on front edges of the wings, tilting edge forward, with 'control authority' set to -100 so that they tilt in the correct direction despite being installed "backwards".

BOqdyAO.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.