[1.4.x ] Large Boat Parts Pack v3.9.3 Read first post before installing

SpannerMonkey(smce)

Spent an awful lot of time trying to get this to sit correctly in the water, and even with 4 shafts it still isn't reaching its real life top speed, but aside from that I think I did ok getting most of the details at least close to the prototype.  I present to you, the as-good-as-I-can-get-it rendition of an Iowa Class Battleship.

Spoiler

dcdc5b61810b70de219443bdc6e61aa0.png897933e3f26b8faa5a1158f9ef93b6cd.pngaa14380b2cbcd9024b5ab13e66d19256.pngcb8f65dbbc167ef54ed943f85628960c.png6a4f77c666119f4f8b7107b7958a91b7.pngf57ea5a75776f05b9fd6cf9d35ef882c.png9bab96b37ee12cfb48c20745873944c1.png250d39c151eaef360c988a5bf04cd3b4.png9ff8c18128b08989fad3096f0101d7af.png

8 minutes ago, The_Right_Arm said:

and even with 4 shafts it still isn't reaching its real life top speed,

Thats very cool, a daylight shot  would be nice too? :)   Re the speed have you scaled the drives? larger = faster up to a point, and if you have are you sure you are generating enough EC to get full power, they can be very deceptive and the FX can persist long after the meaningful power has diminished completely

AS a ps to all IMGUR albums now work again just paste in the album link as you do for images like so

On 26/03/2017 at 5:42 PM, DarthVader said:

Taking requests? I'd like a offshore supply ship like Go Quest/Searcher. 

We have something just off the slips that may fit the bill ,  The size of the vessel at 50mtr rules it out of LBP and she will be launched from SM Marine,  Also features some of the largest IR parts ever made

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

I have 4 unscaled 6000 lb thrust shafts attached to the Iowa which gets it to about 27.5 m/s, which is actually above the top speed when you convert to knots, as the Iowa had a top speed of 32.5 knots loaded down.  Just feels a little sluggish.  And yeah, I'll get you some daylight shots as well, though that will probably be tomorrow.  It just happened to be late in the Kerbal day when I took the shots and as such the sunset shots are what I wound up with.  I'll get some better lit detail shots tomorrow.  Still have a lot of smaller details like stairs and other little dodads that I have no clue what they do to add.  After loading her down with enough ammo boxes to allow her to fire her AA guns for more than a minute, I believe it's sitting at 264 parts.  Still runs smooth though, at least until you open up with AA, then the frames suffer a bit trying to render all of the pretty sparkles.  What I really need to make it look better is some quad Bofors mounts, as I only have twin mounts to work with right now.  Something I'll need to take up with NAS I guess. 

Think the next move for me on that one will be adding the catapults and making myself some Kingfishers to stick back there.  And then I'll start superdetailing it until I get bored of doing so and move on to another project.  Overall fairly proud of it though.

Alright, as promised, here are some daylight shots of my Iowa replica.  Sorry it took me so long.  I decided to focus my shots more on what little detail I had this time since it's hard to see them at sunset.  The Iowa is a bit of an ugly duckling in the daylight, it shows a lot more where I lengthened the Lizzy hull to get the ship closer to the right length and it especially shows where I superimposed the cruiser bow to get the bow to have more of the right shape like the Iowa's.  I'm probably going to just wind up redoing most of it so it looks better, but for now it works so I'm happy with it.

Spoiler

10ca25018ca6876f61c391d130946c95.jpg5e2e4669d85e27d0e60bd93f6ceddd55.jpg314b17ff4ef8f5ab83af61f912400040.jpgdb6ec77acaac9ceadf0d3b22d229faea.jpg81971e03405b452b5d650319a0170ef8.jpgdf2cca418cc7f9d1f63af9ecf8ffd7c9.jpgdef83e579e632a5d6153f65714d86770.jpg33768352e67d3c6d37e03a0ba01bc0e2.jpg0fdb115d7ae02b7fd941226cd8a94f1f.jpg

Some other ships completed today.....

Spoiler

Eclipse class Destroyer (IJN Mutsuki replica)

un0E3aQ.png

UOw0wtt.png

Spoiler

Blizzard class Destroyer (IJN Fubuki replica)

old5IxB.png

gz2ueSB.png

Spoiler

Naginata class Torpedo cruiser (IJN Kitakami replica)

n2iEbYJ.png

mrvV5vC.png

Spoiler

Knight class Battleship (HMS Nelson replica)

4N2TE8m.png

mOYsyi0.png

22 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

I think this mod is incompatible with dev version of FAR GG

Hi well I've no clue as to what you're problem is, ships aren't aircraft. Although it has been done in the past  making them fly is not something I could care less about.

Under normal circumstances using the recommended drive methods it would be very difficult to get a ship airborne. I see you've a least four engines and have manged to push it well over 100ms,  again using the drives in the mod you'd be very lucky to see 40ms on a small ship and a good bit less on the large stuff

As for making things FAR compatible, historically there's been no help from the dev, I've been here before btw, 

As for the parts  there is nothing unusual in the models apart from the size, the colliders are as they should be, the masses are OK, ( there are prescribed limits set by unity the rules how heavy things can be and still have things attach to them securely)  and if FAR can't deal with that there is not much i can do about it. 

I did test with previous versions of FAR and all seemed OK, but I'll need more info before i can make any judgements about what is really going on, and considerably more than can be gleaned from two out of context images

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

34 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi well I've no clue as to what you're problem is, ships aren't aircraft. Although it has been done in the past  making them fly is not something I could care less about.

Under normal circumstances using the recommended drive methods it would be very difficult to get a ship airborne. I see you've a least four engines and have manged to push it well over 100ms,  again using the drives in the mod you'd be very lucky to see 40ms on a small ship and a good bit less on the large stuff

As for making things FAR compatible, historically there's been no help from the dev, I've been here before btw, 

As for the parts  there is nothing unusual in the models apart from the size, the colliders are as they should be, the masses are OK, ( there are prescribed limits set by unity the rules how heavy things can be and still have things attach to them securely)  and if FAR can't deal with that there is not much i can do about it. 

I did test with previous versions of FAR and all seemed OK, but I'll need more info before i can make any judgements about what is really going on, and considerably more than can be gleaned from two out of context images

Well I was getting spammed with nullreference exception errors.

Ship starts doing like 2 rotations per second after you reach 40 - 50 m/s and randomly launches in air.

When I plopped these ships on water with hyper edit  they sank destroying reactor with generator and beam producer on top of it.

Maybe tweakscaling broke them....

Edited by raxo2222

3 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Maybe tweakscaling broke them....

More than likely, plus there have been issues with mouse aim flight, see a post before yours regarding other spinning ships, which was tracked to MAF.

AS i mentioned above the fact you've chosen to power it by other than the recommended methods means it's edge case and all bets are off.  If you had a set of props on and it exhibited this behavior I'd spend as much time(hours) trying to work out why as I did with the last occurrence of spinning ships  

ALL the ships especially the ones I have added since taking over the mod are set up to use props and balanced accordingly.   I never use anything but the props, the ships are not tested with 4 jet  or any other type of engines  fitted and I make no allowances in the design to cope with alternative propulsion because that is not how I want them used. ( you'll notice the distinct  lack of jet or rocket  engines in every screenshot posted before yours )

In my world, marine vessels move by means of propellers, moving them any other way apart from by sail (yeah ok at a push  paddles too) is an alien totally scifi and unsupported method

Just because the parts are large does not mean you can abandon normal KSP best practices and in some ways the penalties for getting it wrong are far worse than with a small craft When you call the kraken to something weighing several 1000 tonnes it's always going to be spectacular

McAKGFB.png?1

The closest I've come to doing anything even relatively related to non prop propulsion on the LBP parts was when I got bored and made myself a Star Destroyer with them.  Not particularly good looking and basically uncontrollable, even with gravity turned to the minimum, but technically it worked.  I never encountered the spinning in my attempts, but I would agree that the parts spinning is probably down to the jets more so than FAR.

5 hours ago, Komander Faul said:

can there be a way to add submarine with a inline torpedo launchers for both bow and stern, maybe even inline ones in the hull....  like the Vulcan guns in a sense of being inline? ty!

I'll second this one.  This is one of the main things keeping me from using subs, other than the weird graphical error the torps have.

21 hours ago, Komander Faul said:

can there be a way to add submarine with a inline torpedo launchers for both bow and stern, maybe even inline ones in the hull....  like the Vulcan guns in a sense of being inline? ty!

15 hours ago, The_Right_Arm said:

I'll second this one.  This is one of the main things keeping me from using subs, other than the weird graphical error the torps have.

Hi, chaps, well the thing is.. although I like subs and have played around with them since 0.18 ( and still use the minisub I built back then)  I have zero luck with large subs, I have a couple, but the thing is that they are cursed,  cursed to call the kraken,

They sort of worked in 1.05 but since then the situation has degenerated to a point that I just launch them to see if anything has changed in my game, that would stop them tearing themselves apart.  rather than having the expectation of an undersea cruise I know it's likely to be over in minutes.   Which is sad because among other things I like them, and  I've spent an ungodly amount of hours trying to make it work (the bit of modding nobody sees) 

The only conclusion I can draw is that subs with real classic hull shapes, not like the current hotdog, wont work in KSP,  I've been considering gluing one together in unity so the whole hull is in one part and see how that goes, but you need really 3 hull parts to a sub , minimum to make it trim friendly and usable 

So sadly no more subs for the foreseeable future,   and because of the no subs there'll be no sub stuff development as i've nothing to reliable to test with, However as always in modding things change, i constantly learn new tricks, so who knows ,if i find a way to make them as reliable as surface ships Id be happy to give it another go

Spoiler

happier times back when subs and I weren't cursed

b588As6.png

Ah, that sucks.  At least we know you've given it your all to make it work.  In that case, have you tried an angled flight deck for your carrier parts?  I have no problem with straight, inline carriers, I just...like to have a little room for error on my landing approaches.  Counting the time I've spent playing the edu version in high school I've been doing this for almost 3 years.  Still not that wonderful with my landings. :P  I used to be able to land pretty reliably on my carrier with my naval fighter, and that was before the arrestor hook system came about.  However, I wanna say that carrier is a little longer than it really should be, although I can't remember for sure because it has been a mighty long time since I've ran my carrier operations.  The Jebediah Class Carriers that I made have an improvised angled flight deck made from taking a short carrier hull and a carrier bow and slapping it onto the inline flight deck at an angle, and unbelievably enough it can be convinced to sail straight like that, but it would definitely be nice to have a more aesthetically pleasing solution within your parts system.

On 4/14/2017 at 10:34 PM, acerarity said:

My project in KSP (sorry but I only have night screenshots for now)

Some very nice boats.  If I may ask, where did you get the numbers to place on the carrier superstructure in the first carrier pic?

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested I made a tweakscale patch since the tweakscale compatibility for parts is hit or miss in LBPP. It is located here and I will keep it updated as @SpannerMonkey(smce) releases his glorious new content to us peasants!

DL Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g45l0djvbmypl3e/AABZ033reYyTd_6xV17txTR3a?dl=0

Simply download the mods patch you want(or them all) and place in your gameData folder