[1.4.x ] Large Boat Parts Pack v3.9.3 Read first post before installing

SpannerMonkey(smce)

@SpannerMonkey(smce) Maybe you could include this in the images in the OP?

I know it's focusing on the plane, but I think some people will be able to see the details of the ship if they look close enough.

I'll also make a pic of the ship itself, but I'll save that for tommorow.

9 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

I think I can post it here too.

Hi , indeed you can, but only 1 like per pic  :P

As for adding image to OP, too much plane not enough ship, Now if you'd taken it from the lowest in the flight, it would be a sure fire addition

On 22/08/2017 at 0:47 AM, Murican_Jeb said:

Can you put the link for hangar extender to his new version?

got a link? didn't see it

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi , indeed you can, but only 1 like per pic  :P

Yeah, I know. :)

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

got a link? didn't see it

Here is my USS chicago replica. note that the pics are kinda big...

Spoiler

I added some letters and numbers, since this was how the hull was decorated irl.

qAlPzsY.png

Here is the whole ship.

N1NVbc6.png

• 1 month later...

Hey guys gotta question for you I build an aircraft carrier (nothing special) using the three parts for a large carrier but when I place it in the water it bounces around like it's in very choppy waters or  like there's a storm and is making the wave bounce me around and last I checked KSP didn't have anything like that, so how do I fix this?

27 minutes ago, thewisekid said:

Hey guys gotta question for you I build an aircraft carrier (nothing special) using the three parts for a large carrier but when I place it in the water it bounces around like it's in very choppy waters or  like there's a storm and is making the wave bounce me around and last I checked KSP didn't have anything like that, so how do I fix this?

Hi, sorry to hear this still happens for some players,  sadly for us how the hulls behave depends on what mods you have installed, any mods that change water physics or buoyancy will in quite simple terms screw everything up.

Should that not be the case( ie you know you have no such mods installed)   the carrier  is a little too light and ideal needs a good lump of ballast water added. Also worth noting is how it behaves depend very much on how it's balanced,  just because it's massive does not mean that little things like COM can be ignored.   Ideally some pics of the craft, in order to rule out the obvious would be helpful .

Scaling parts like rudders and drives can produce unexpected results, ( the rudders get very buoyant,(and cause runaway steering effects) and drives get very heavy when scaled up) and although the parts come with tweakscale I'd much prefer that they weren't scaled. 

It's also been noted that reaction wheels/SAS being turned on can actually amplify the problem rather than mitigating it.  Turn SAS off and see if she settles.

Those points addressed, and if none of those is applicable, further info , such a ksp version,LBP version and a copy of the KSP.log will be required, otherwise I'll just be guessing :)

Well I do have texture replacer but all I use it for is so my kerbals can have their helmets off but nothing that changes the water properties. And I also tried to add pontoons on the side but they keep getting destroyed when I use vessel moving and try gently place it in the water. 

This should be the log that you are needing but it wont let me post my screenshots.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmK_SG3L60NNg3frrtm_qPIebKzU

20 minutes ago, thewisekid said:

This should be the log

This item might not exist or is no longer available

Texture replacer however will have no impact , so something else is happening.  Also when placing ships using vessel mover, use the tab key and move the ship to the lowest "fine" position then using the throttle keys gently lower the ship into the water. All my ships including the now 470 part lizzy are launched either using vessel mover or direct launch to water using KerbalKonstructs and custom water launch points. 

You  do have KJR installed? 

Worth noting that in order to hang together during launch the hulls use the largest and strongest nodes in game, size 7, parts with a low size value such as stock surface attach parts (usually 1 or 0) are unlikely to survive a launch attached to a craft that is as heavy as the carrier. 

There are certain rules regarding attachment masses that we cannot escape, unity imposes order of magnitude restrictions on joints, ie , for a secure and stable joint parts can be no lighter than 1 order of magnitude lower than the part they are attached to,  so a ten tonne part can securely have a 1 tonne part attached, but you can find that an antenna weighing only a couple of KG's will flop around when attached to the same part

For screenshots using imgur for example simply paste the direct link text into your post

HV1s6Kg.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

Hey guys!  Just wanted to show off a recent project of mine.  I did the as-good-as-I-can-get-it replica of the Iowa a little while back, and I had fun with the project so I decided to try it again.  This time, I made the as-good-as-I-can-get-it rendition of the USS Worcester, CL 144.  I did have some issues with this one, namely none of the guns I needed are in NAS or SM Armory.  What I wound up doing was cloning the IJN 127 mm dual turret for destroyers, since that looked closest to the Worcester's dual turrets in my opinion, and then modifying their characteristics to more closely match the 6 inch triple turrets that do come with NAS, while giving it increased rof over those guns since these were automatically loaded similar to the mechanism that loaded the 8 inch guns of the Des Moines class.  The 3 inch double turret secondaries are not represented either, so I wound up taking the 3 inch Mk 21 guns and using them to make pseudo double turrets.  After the armament was taken care of, I focused on detailing the ship as much as possible.  I think it came out well.  Hope you all like it!

Spoiler

9ea8fdf5661e648eab42dfa121577606.png1f0ba16576b9e97ae70b6df778b8eead.png16dbf935cad84b1bd9eee06b437e823b.png143385afc88088a29f6579a3362e2e6e.png5ad3076c4f48d08d03951dbcc810aef9.png4805a8442ff79a9ececcd7046388ea7a.png

Edited by The_Right_Arm
Put the pictures in a spoiler box to save space.

@The_Right_Arm  Very smart,  love the details, and bonus points for the nice mix of mods. 

I suppose given the troubles users are having finding those odd turrets , i should take a look at the NAS list for holes.  More than happy to add ship equip of any sort to the request lists ( if it's requested there's a better than 50% chance of it happening, may take a few months sometimes :) ) , so if there are those things that perpetually trip up the quest for details, just drop me a note ( if there's images info all the better)   Haven't done a large turret in forever .

Keep up the good work

I know its been a long time since I posted here, and a long time since I played KSP, but here is something I just started today, and am mostly done, its loosely based on this:

l33395-hamina-35750.jpg

and I kinda added my own flair to it, I still have to add lights, and some super small details, but other then that, its done, hope you enjoy! :)

(side note: it was created with parts from here, and SM marine, and can't remember where the gun is from, but its some BDA mod, and all this was done is 1.2, not 1.3 as I have not updated yet)

Edited by acerarity

On 10/4/2017 at 2:09 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

@The_Right_Arm  Very smart,  love the details, and bonus points for the nice mix of mods. 

I suppose given the troubles users are having finding those odd turrets , i should take a look at the NAS list for holes.  More than happy to add ship equip of any sort to the request lists ( if it's requested there's a better than 50% chance of it happening, may take a few months sometimes :) ) , so if there are those things that perpetually trip up the quest for details, just drop me a note ( if there's images info all the better)   Haven't done a large turret in forever .

Keep up the good work

Thanks!  Glad you like the ship!  If it isn't too much to ask, I would love to see a 14 inch triple turret similar to those fitted to the New Mexico Class battleships.  Would love to do another replica of something kind of like those boats, plus I have a few personal designs that could put them to work on.  The 3 inch double mount AA gun would be extremely helpful for late war to early post war ships like the Worcester above and the similar Des Moines class as well if you wouldn't mind.  I'm a huge fan of the quad mounted 57 mm AA guns that SM Armory provides when I'm working on personal designs, easily my current favorite AA gun, but I would certainly love something like the twin 3 inch's for the additional range and heavier flak as a supplement to those guns.

On 10/3/2017 at 9:57 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Finally figured it out and yes it was because the craft was too light. I used another mod CVX to get a round about of how heavy it somewhat needed to be and holy smokes the difference. But that's been sorted and I finally got around to a project I've been wanting to do.CiKfbxP.jpgaO5mfK7.jpg

This is my USS America inspired by deviant art user bagera3005.

4 hours ago, thewisekid said:

Finally figured it out and yes it was because the craft was too light. I used another mod CVX to get a round about of how heavy it somewhat needed to be and holy smokes the difference. But that's been sorted and I finally got around to a project I've been wanting to do.

The CIA and DoD call it "Project Overkill" lol

On 10/10/2017 at 7:15 PM, thewisekid said:

Finally figured it out and yes it was because the craft was too light. I used another mod CVX to get a round about of how heavy it somewhat needed to be and holy smokes the difference. But that's been sorted and I finally got around to a project I've been wanting to do.

Now to make a larger, and more deadly ship to be the lead for that carrier "MwuaHaHaHaHa"

We are coming for you, and we are not messing around...

Spoiler

http://steamcommunity.com/id/acerarity/screenshot/860610312544965491
http://steamcommunity.com/id/acerarity/screenshot/860610312544964990
http://steamcommunity.com/id/acerarity/screenshot/860610312544964494
http://steamcommunity.com/id/acerarity/screenshot/860610312544963715

More images coming Soon...

(Read this as a separate post: as I was building and testing this, I noticed that I was only running at 12 fps on the lowest possible graphics settings lol, and the scuds are just for show as I cannot actually access the GPS coordinator to set a target lol, so this thing was a flop and I just made it as a giant useless ship that can literally one-hit anything, and take out all of KSC in under a second)

Edited by acerarity

I thought I'd share with you some of the fun that comes with mod adoption.  |Now you all see these huge models, and the less than optimal textures are well discussed, but whats not apparent to most users is what goes on under the skin, what the bare bones look like, and how those bones reflect in game.

The story so far, as you know, in the recent past, I've tried to update or replace/add  one or more of the hulls. With the gazillion other things this hasn't been possible up until now, with a view to a 1.3.1 update. 

So while chatting last night i asked @Wrench Head if he'd pull me out the destryer mu's as dae's so i could take a look at the textures issue,  no problem, zip arrives, open zip, pull out parts, assemble in max and this is what showed up

Qb30oqR.png

Thats the current LBP destroyer all the parts together, as you can't work on parts like this individually, otherwise i run the risk of horrible misalignment, and 1 vertex displace 1 mm will show in game( shows in weird texture and normal lighting)

In a good(which this is not)  model/mesh there is equal distribution of polys (the little groups of faces that form the skin of the model)  as an aside i showed it to CobaltWolf who proceeded be be very unwell :)  Anyway it was my intention to fix the thing , change the bow, and the date box stern,  and get it in some state that i can slap my dazzle camo on it and it not look like an impressionist artwork..  

With the model in it's current form, that can't ever happen, in the shot above all the areas in which the polys are tightly packed have a squashing effect on the textures, and the huge faces  are stretched.  Theres's no sensible way to even make that work, not even worth bothering, if you chaps want a date box destroyer hull( i really dont) I'll make another, but that model is at the end, it'll be the bin next for that.

Have no fear I am going to be adding this instead,  a rather sporty and usefully shaped Jclass inspired destroyer hell.  Now as with Lizzy she'll be modular , but not,  as i like hulls to be hull shaped, the shape changes constantly from bow to stern,  So while A fits snugly to B it will not fit snugly to CDEF or G.  But that's a small price to pay for such a nice shaped hull. This btw will and does take a camo very nicely indeed

rZ0qKwd.png

Cheers

2 minutes ago, AirShark said:

Any thought of making ship bows and hulls that have a "curved" beam like in many modern stealthy warships?

Hi , the answer is that i already do, but not in this mod.  Also pop up to my post form 13hr's or so ago and have a look at that top image,  every part that was in the mod when i took it over looks just like that. and for exactly  the reasons explained in that post that rule out retexturing,  i can't add part that will fit without making them similarly nasty, and you know what , i don't do xxxx like that anymore. It ultimately does nothing for the mod, except introduce more bad models, iffy textures, and my displeasure every tine i look at it.

As the mod is huge already I'm reluctant to pile in more new parts , BUT, as with the destroyer above., new parts will  render old parts obsolete rather than add more. It is my intention to replace all the parts over time, so that there's no nasty left.

The reason I haven't pushed the curves here is because the whole ethos of this mod is simple stupid ship parts, that players can build gazillions of ships from, that is only possible with things that are built in that not favored by me lego brick fashion.  For example look at lizzy and the DG10K curvy everywhere, no two sections the same shape, , and modular in the sense that they are in chunks,  BUT, in those cases , as it will be with the destroyer ,

13 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

So while A fits snugly to B it will not fit snugly to CDEF or G

And that changes the ethos of the mod, something i try not to do, aside from quality rising( subjective) I very much like to keep mods with the feel they had when i took them over. 

AS mentioned I do curvy and realistic in SM Marine and thats not full quite yet I have at least two new ships for that, not including the subs stealth and surface effect vessels that arrive next update

wCmgaQh.png

OP : Mods like VesselMover and WASD Editor camera or Hangar extender are recommended as your ships can get very big.

Me : Ignore

*continues to install happily, ignorant of the size of the thing*

Me : He was right.

Anyway, The parts are very good and don't damage easily. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @SpannerMonkey(smce). I have one issue, every part from LBP are wrong localised I think. Screen says it all :D Parts works great, just the names and such...https://imgur.com/a/G3vHf

Maybe I found the fix, isn't SM industries or some similar named library needed? It probably isn't bundled with it in CKAN....I ll try install it.

Edited by Toonu

1 hour ago, Toonu said:

Hi @SpannerMonkey(smce). I have one issue, every part from LBP are wrong localised I think. Screen says it all :D Parts works great, just the names and such...https://imgur.com/a/G3vHf

Maybe I found the fix, isn't SM industries or some similar named library needed? It probably isn't bundled with it in CKAN....I ll try install it.

In the most recent updates he has stated that the SM Industries localization library is needed for all the SM mods.