[1.12] Astrogator v1.0.0

HebaruSan

The good news is that a recompile fixes it, so I can make a new DLL easily. The bad news is that a recompile fixes it, so I probably won't be able to make a DLL that works with both 1.3.0 and 1.3.1. I've asked for help, so maybe someone will provide a magic solution, or maybe SQUAD will find a way to make 1.3.1 (more) compatible with 1.3.0. If not, then we might be facing the paradox of a new release with no code changes.

• 3 weeks later...

1.3.1 Update:

The fix by SQUAD seems to have succeeded! I am able to load Astrogator v0.7.8 in the full release of 1.3.1 and use it without problems. My thanks to JPLRepo (or whomever it was that helped, which I can't double check now that the prerelease subforum is hidden), but especially to @genbrien for pointing out the problem in time for it to be addressed. May such good fortune befall more and more modders with each subsequent version.

I have no plans for a 1.3.1 recompile release at this time, and all versions from v0.7.0 forwards will remain marked compatible with 1.3.0 through 1.3.8 in CKAN.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a really handy tool @HebaruSan. Thanks. :)

What I like about it is it helps to understand how to set up interplanetary transfers requiring multiple nodes.  I've always done it manually, but I had no idea how much more efficient on delta-V it could be.  This is a good teaching tool for myself.

2 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

This is a really handy tool @HebaruSan. Thanks. :)

Glad it works for you!

2 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

What I like about it is it helps to understand how to set up interplanetary transfers requiring multiple nodes.  I've always done it manually, but I had no idea how much more efficient on delta-V it could be.  This is a good teaching tool for myself.

I don't actually know if it's the most efficient approach for those; I've always suspected that a clever pilot could find ways to handle the plane changes better, and there are definitely special cases where well known techniques can beat it (gravity assists and bi-elliptic transfers, for example). But it's what I could figure out how to program (:wink:), and it provides a reliable baseline for simple maneuvers, so I think it has its place.

• 3 weeks later...

I had great success with Kerbal Astrogator on my laptop while I was snowbirding for five months in my  RV.

I tried to install it on my desktop, and in the game, I see only a white square icon rather than the colorful one on my laptop.  It also only shows the warp to the window icon, no set node icon, you know that looks like a cog.

I extracted the file on my desktop, and then copy and pasted that in my game data folder in KSP.  It wouldn't have shown at all if I did it wrong, right?

OK, I did it all over again after removing the Astrogator file from my game data folder, and now the icon appears right, it looks like a folding star map.  And, where the selection to time warp was a small rectangle, it now looks like it does on my laptop; two arrows.  However, I still don't have maneuver node generator button; the small cog thing.

3 hours ago, Rmack said:

OK, I did it all over again after removing the Astrogator file from my game data folder, and now the icon appears right, it looks like a folding star map.  And, where the selection to time warp was a small rectangle, it now looks like it does on my laptop; two arrows.  However, I still don't have maneuver node generator button; the small cog thing.

Speculating, there are circumstances where the maneuver icon doesn't appear, specifically when you can't generate a maneuver node such as at KSC or the tracking station. As always a screenshot is worth a thousand words.

38 minutes ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

@HebaruSan would you mind having it set up captures autonomously as well as my timing is only good for those things when I set it up myself...

It does provide maneuvers for capturing into a circular orbit while you're on an inbound hyperbolic trajectory. Did you have something else in mind?

20 minutes ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

I mean preventing somekerbal who doesn't save who is impatient and overwarps from catapulting out on an escape

Are you familiar with the stock "Warp Here" and "Warp to Next Maneuver" options in the map view? I've found those quite handy for this situation. Just point the cursor to near your future Pe and you can advance time to the capture.

QR6gpyr.png

2E6MSdo.png

2 hours ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

Yes I'm familiar but what I mean is also to have an autonomous system to, @ your periapsis lower your apoapsis so you don't just go flying off.

Precise Maneuver has "Ap" and "Pe" buttons that move a maneuver node to an orbit's apoapsis or periapsis, and it has a "circularize" button that changes a maneuver node to produce a circular orbit.  If you're on an escape trajectory and you want to enter orbit, you can just create a maneuver node and click the "Pe" and "circularize" buttons, and you get a convenient maneuver to enter circular orbit at periapsis.  (It's still up to you to actually execute the maneuver, just like with Astrogator's transfer maneuvers.)

• 2 weeks later...

@HebaruSan you mentioned I should stop by here if I had any other crazy ideas.
Well, if it's already a thing, I apologize, and would greatly appreciate any hints on how to do it.

Astrogator always shows me the lowest
∆v transfer that's coming up. And which might be some time out. Time which I may not wanna wait, or cannot wait because of life-support limitations. So if there was a button to cycle through other, sooner transfer windows that Astrogator can set up for me, that'd be ossum. Alternatively, maybe the option of specifying available ∆v and target, or total time available to reach the target (including the wait until the transfer window) and Astrogator working it out from there?

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Are you sure you are posting in the right thread?

Not sure what Astrogator would have to do with JSI transparent pods?

As far as I remember the Astrogator folder just goes in the game data folder like any other mod.

but it is still work when i put this mod into JSI data

why i asking about this, cos this mod is part of RPM (JSI) so maybe you have to put in to JSI data 

4 minutes ago, DiscoveryPlanet said:

but it is still work when i put this mod into JSI data

why i asking about this, cos this mod is part of RPM (JSI) so maybe you have to put in to JSI data 

Astrogator isn't part of RPM or JSI that I'm aware of, although they may have support for it? (You can prolly make the Astrogator window appear on a screen in IVA if that's what you mean?)

Anyways you should put the Astrogator folder in the main Game data folder or it may not work correctly.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

1 minute ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Astrogator isn't part of RPM or JSI that I'm aware of, although they may have support for it?

You absolutely sure you are in the right thread?

Anyways you should put the Astrogator folder in the main Game data folder or it may not work correctly.

yeah i know this is independent mod but when i put into JSI data it still work as well

1 minute ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I don't see anything on the RPM page about special install instructions for Astrogator compatibility.

But hey; if it works, it works I guess?

Here i found in RPM forum page

Add-ons for RasterPropMonitor:

Plugins that integrate with RasterPropMonitor, enhancing the IVA experience.

1 minute ago, DiscoveryPlanet said:

Here i found in RPM forum page

Add-ons for RasterPropMonitor:

Plugins that integrate with RasterPropMonitor, enhancing the IVA experience.

Lol...

Right, it has support for Astrogator.

However it doesn't specify to install it any differently than normal. We can infer from this that you should install it as normal; in the gamedata folder. However if you say it's working as-is; I suppose that's all that matters.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.