[1.12] Astrogator v1.0.0

HebaruSan

3 hours ago, Cetera said:

Is this why there is a difference between the Astrogator output and the nodes and alarms I calculate with the Transfer Window Planner?  I really like both, and use both.  I LOVE the list of planets in order, and upcoming transfer windows in a neat list.  But I was curious why there were some discrepancies, and which I should trust more.  

There's a trade-off between precision and performance. Transfer Window Planner chooses precision, so it does intensive calculations to find optimal timing for one transfer at a time; each pixel of the porkchop plot represents a separate transfer calculation that it makes, and it selects the best one that it finds out of all of them. If you want optimal timings for the perfect transfer, go with TWP's numbers.

Astrogator, by contrast, chooses performance, because it's dealing with multiple transfers and updating them in real time. You really don't want me to run 6+ full porkchop plot calculations every 5 seconds during burns, or when you tab through the tracking station. :)

In my dream world utopia, where everything works out just so, and all my wildest ideas can be implemented without effort or skill, it would be super duper awesome if Astrogator kept its look, but added a button for each planet/window with a button to generate a porkchop plot for more advanced planning, and maybe even adding to the display window.  

This sounds duplicative of TWP to me. If you want to dig in to porkchop plots, there's already a mod for that. Also, is "advanced planning" actually useful? When I used TWP, I always used the solution that it highlighted for me, because I never found much reason to care about travel times or launch dates.

Besides, what Astrogator really needs is support for gravity assists. :cool:

As long as I'm dreaming, some kind of spreadsheet functionality to sort by departure date, planet order, etc, might also be very handy.

Do you mean sort the table in the current UI? Because that's supposed to happen already if you click the column headers.

Hi. I like this.

I stumbled upon the AstrogatorRPM.cfg:

// Config format based on NavInstruments
// https://github.com/kujuman/NavInstruments/blob/master/GameData/KerbalScienceFoundation/NavInstruments/MFD/addToRPM018.cfg
@PROP[RasterPropMonitorBasicMFD]:Final
{
	@MODULE[RasterPropMonitor]
	{
		PAGE
		{
			// https://github.com/Mihara/RasterPropMonitor/wiki/Page-handlers
			name = astrogator
			// Share the autopilot button with MechJeb
			button = button_D
			PAGEHANDLER
			{
				name = AstrogatorMenu
				method = ShowMenu
				pageActiveMethod = PageActive
				buttonClickMethod = ButtonClick
				buttonReleaseMethod = ButtonRelease
				pageTitle = Astrogator
			}
			textureURL = JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Library/Textures/bg01
		}
	}
} 

Shouldn't it check if RPM is installed?

I didn't see it as a dependency on the OP.

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Shouldn't it check if RPM is installed?

I thought that's what "@PROP[RasterPropMonitorBasicMFD]" does. If there's a RasterPropMonitorBasicMFD prop, it adds to it, otherwise it does nothing. Was there a particular change you had in mind? I'm not an expert in ModuleManager syntax.

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I didn't see it as a dependency on the OP.

It's optional; Astrogator will integrate with RPM if both are installed, but it will still work solo.

6 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Do you mean sort the table in the current UI? Because that's supposed to happen already if you click the column headers.

Yes, the "advanced planning" part I use is trying to figure out gravity assists for multiple flybys with one probe.  If you get that working in Astrogator, that would be amazing.

I did not realize that Astrogator would sort by column headers.  That's exactly what I was thinking of.  Thanks!  Clearly you're an awesome, amazing mod developer, putting in features and functionality in anticipation of desires and needs.  Thank you!

28 minutes ago, Cetera said:

Yes, the "advanced planning" part I use is trying to figure out gravity assists for multiple flybys with one probe.  If you get that working in Astrogator, that would be amazing.

I'd like to do assists without porkchop plots, but so far I have not figured out how that would work. Similarly, I want to be able to split the auto-generated maneuver nodes into multiple burns for low TWR craft. Admittedly those are both nebulous ambitions rather than specific plans at this point.

28 minutes ago, Cetera said:

putting in features and functionality in anticipation of desires and needs

Credit where it's due, the sorting was requested by @hab136 on page 1, but I appreciate the sentiment. :D

On 21.05.2017 at 10:54 AM, HebaruSan said:

Would it be possible by any chance? Not trying to rush anything, just curious, if this kind of support is technically possible to implement...

3 hours ago, Walker said:

Would it be possible by any chance? Not trying to rush anything, just curious, if this kind of support is technically possible to implement...

I hope so, but I'm not working on it actively at the moment. It would be a big project, maybe larger than everything else that's been done for Astrogator so far. I would want to keep the generality that allows you to e.g. plot routes from Laythe to Kerbin today, accounting for the path through Jool's SOI, and with assists in the picture, that effectively means the ability to automate PLAD's famous LKO-Mun-K-E-K-K-J path on the fly, plus any possible similar path. With so many candidate routes to consider, we risk losing the simple ability to calculate and display them all on the fly. The scope would explode, and the whole character of the mod could change drastically, possibly to the detriment of what's effective about it today.

That's why there was a sunglasses smiley emoticon at the end of that quote. It's a goofily ambitious thing to say, and I probably shouldn't have typed it at all. :)

Astrogator v0.7.0 is now released. The main new feature is:

• Compatibility with KSP 1.3 - that's right, this version will work in the latest game version without crashing!

Visible changes:

sort-caret-and-The-Mun.png

Invisible changes:

• Localization of all code! :)
    Supported locales: English :(

I don't speak Russian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, or Spain-Spanish, so I am not able to produce useful translations on my own. No matter what language you configure KSP to use, Astrogator will display English text. However, all of the code is updated to support swapping out the locale, so new translations can be plugged in as soon as they are available with no further code changes. I tested it with Google Translate, and the results of those experiments are included in several additional inactive config files in the GameData/Astrogator/lang folder:

google-translations.png

If you rename those files and remove the ".google-translate" part, they will be used when you switch the game to that locale.

If you speak one of the newly supported languages and are interested in contributing a translation, I have added instructions here:

https://github.com/HebaruSan/Astrogator/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#translating-to-your-language

I tried to cover all the technical questions that might come up, including how to upload your changes to github, so it should be possible for anyone to translate as long as you speak one of the supported languages.

Caution: Raster Prop Monitor isn't updated for 1.3 yet according to CKAN, so I wasn't able to test the RPM display, but I wanted to get this update out there quickly. I'll try again once I see an update, but in the meantime, be aware that there may be issues, which I'll address once RPM is updated.

https://github.com/HebaruSan/Astrogator/releases/tag/v0.7.0

Edited by HebaruSan

Postscripts:

• The KSP versions supported in the AVC version file are listed as 1.3.0 - 1.3.8; if SQUAD pulls the same stunt with the next pre-release as they did with "1.2.9", which was not backwards compatible with the previous version in the 1.2.X line, that will prevent this version from showing up as compatible in CKAN.
  • We're not installable via CKAN yet because ModuleManager is listed as a dependency because of the format of our RPM cfg file, and ModuleManager doesn't have a 1.3-compatible update indexed yet. Astrogator should show up as soon as ModuleManager does.
  • I turned off the debugging messages in the log, which may improve performance (though I haven't measured it). Debugging versions of the DLL are still available upon request.
Edited by HebaruSan

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Nope, it's working in EEX.  Some other mod, maybe?:

Likewise, Astrogator's icon seems to be fine.

6 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

I thin there was a change that some mods, this one included, are affected by, @linuxgurugamer mod EEX has the same issue with a missing icon like the one below, no big deal everything still works

That sounds like your mods are being installed to the wrong folder, especially if you're having the same problem with multiple mods. Astrogator looks for its icon at GameData/Astrogator/Astrogator.png, so if you install it somewhere else, it won't find it.

That sounds like your mods are being installed to the wrong folder, especially if you're having the same problem with multiple mods. Astrogator looks for its icon at GameData/Astrogator/Astrogator.png, so if you install it somewhere else, it won't find it.

I will check it out, thanks

@HebaruSan @linuxgurugamer you guys were perfectly right, somehow (user error) I extracted them into another folder, sorry for the false alarm

Astrogator v0.7.2 is released.

maneuverTooltip.png

• All the buttons and table headers now have the tooltips they were originally intended to have thanks to @Morse's thread
  • Spanish translation corrections courtesy of @Deltathiago98
  • Minor fix to always update the list of transfers when toggling the asteroids setting

https://github.com/HebaruSan/Astrogator/releases/tag/v0.7.2

1 hour ago, QAQdong said:

Hey,guys.Do you need Chinese translator?I‘m good at Chinese.I can translate for free

Yes please! The instructions are here; please let me know if you find anything about them unclear so I can improve them:

https://github.com/HebaruSan/Astrogator/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#translating-to-your-language

If you are interested in helping with other mods as well, a list of mods in need of translators is available here:

Say hello on that thread to get in touch with interested mod authors.

8 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Yes please! The instructions are here; please let me know if you find anything about them unclear so I can improve them:

If you are interested in helping with other mods as well, a list of mods in need of translators is available here:

Say hello on that thread to get in touch with interested mod authors.

Thank you!I‘m glad to help you translate

Hello HebaruSan,

I recently started this game and this is exactly what I was looking for.  By reading through this thread I also found I want to check out TWP mod (and maybe Precise Maneuver also) but this is really what I was looking for.  I have contracts and things on my "to do" list but I really had no time frame to plan some things so I was looking for a simple window planner to keep an idea of when I need to have things ready.  Now that you have helped me with my time frame map per say, there are a couple of other things I am trying to keep up with.  Sorry if this is a stupid question or request, what I am looking for may be in a different mod or thread.

OK, I have set up a gas station at Minmus and I have a stockpile of gas ready.  So I am starting to park some ships there for when their window opens up.  I sent out 2 satellites around the orbit of the Sun for a couple of contracts and their next maneuver is about 170 days away.  My next window for Duna is about a year away so now I have to keep track of 3 events.  What about adding a way to include events windows that are editable?  Like under Duna, launch "ship name".  Or keep track of my two satellites 170 days out.  I kept trying to get the Kerbal Alarm Clock to work but I just can't get that to work or I don't know what I am doing which is possible.

The other question, yesterday I waited about 20 minutes (warped a few seconds) for the window to open to Minmus.  The next time I went to Minmus I did not wait and realized it only saved me about 0.25 delta V.  Would there be any bonus for having a button you can push to see what the delta V would be to do it right now?  So if it 412 delta V to get to Duna at the correct window if I wait 180 days, what would the delta V be if I tried right now?  If I have the delta V it might be worth just doing it now.

If these are not good suggestions or questions just ignore them.  I have to say, I love your mod though.  It is helping me see the big picture.

Thank you,

-Craig

Before I continue, I have some unfinished business...

14 hours ago, QAQdong said:

Hey,guys.Do you need Chinese translator?I‘m good at Chinese.I can translate for free

QAQdong, welcome to the forums! (It's customary to welcome someone here after their first post, and I forgot to do that the first time.)

4 hours ago, QAQdong said:

Hello!I finished translation just now.I uploaded on Github

Thank you! I have taken a look at your translation, and I may have one or two questions, but overall it looks quite good. (I also enjoy how everyone so far has figured out the trick of using the '.google-translate' files as a template. I thought about adding that to the instructions, but it seemed overly complicated to explain.)

51 minutes ago, Craig D said:

Hello HebaruSan,

I recently started this game and this is exactly what I was looking for.  By reading through this thread I also found I want to check out TWP mod (and maybe Precise Maneuver also) but this is really what I was looking for.  I have contracts and things on my "to do" list but I really had no time frame to plan some things so I was looking for a simple window planner to keep an idea of when I need to have things ready.

Hi Craig, and welcome to the forums! I'm glad you find it helpful!

What about adding a way to include events windows that are editable?  Like under Duna, launch "ship name".  Or keep track of my two satellites 170 days out.  I kept trying to get the Kerbal Alarm Clock to work but I just can't get that to work or I don't know what I am doing which is possible.

You beat me to it; KAC is the best option I know of for tracking multiple simultaneous missions. I wouldn't want to duplicate what it does unless I had ideas for how to do it better (and I don't). Without KAC, you can still cope in this situation by selecting the ship with the soonest maneuver and warping to that. This info can be gleaned from the Tracking Station display with some effort, since it shows the time till next burn for each ship. (Though you may have more luck with KAC if you grab a fresh download now, as I believe it just updated for the 1.3 release.)

However, I've personally been trying to get away from the play style that I tended to adopt with KAC, in which big missions get bookmarked while I do "other things," and then I never actually get back to the big mission. 170 in-game days is over a thousand real world hours unless you time warp! I found I had to limit my activity within Kerbin's sphere of influence to ever get anywhere else. To each his or her own, of course, but my primary focus is on trying to make it as easy as possible for folks to jump in and do the big mission right now.

The other question, yesterday I waited about 20 minutes (warped a few seconds) for the window to open to Minmus.  The next time I went to Minmus I did not wait and realized it only saved me about 0.25 delta V.  Would there be any bonus for having a button you can push to see what the delta V would be to do it right now?  So if it 412 delta V to get to Duna at the correct window if I wait 180 days, what would the delta V be if I tried right now?  If I have the delta V it might be worth just doing it now.

Hmm, I don't think I would know how to calculate that. I'm honestly surprised that you made it to Minmus off-schedule; depending on exactly what you did, there's a risk that you'd de-orbit and crash to Kerbin instead, or end up on a trajectory that never got near Minmus. The stock maneuver node editor may help with this sort of planning, though; you can drag the center circle around to move the time of the burn back and forth and see what would happen.

I have to say, I love your mod though.  It is helping me see the big picture.

:cool: That's what I felt was missing as well. There are all these planets flying around out there, and I know in general how to get there, but there was no overview other than the "subway map" graphics, which don't help with the timing (and are subtly misleading in some ways as well).

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:24 PM, Wolves_Hero said:

This mod bugged always off screen. I click Astrogator icon not show up, I use Protractor mod much better never off screen but no time wrap.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:35 PM, HebaruSan said:

Please include more information if you'd like to report a bug on this thread. Just complaining about an issue doesn't help.

@HebaruSan,  I am having the same problem with the mod working for a little while and then putting itself off the screen.  I have a feeling it may be a conflict between mods.  Would you like me to give you a list of the mods I have installed?  Just let me know how I can help.  Awesome mod BTW!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.