Mod idea - Aperture Science Portal Device - Travel through portals!

Fireheart318

Basically, it's the Portal Gun from Portal. In Portal, the device exists in the form of a futuristic-looking gun that works by shooting a pair of portals onto surfaces coated in moon rocks (and the moon itself) to instantaneously transport information and matter across space. Only two portals can exist at a time (save for co-op multiplayer, which will be ignored) and work both ways.

In KSP, the portal device would exist as a large-ish part that could transport ships and their cargo (passengers, resources, momentum(?), across space to a duplicate of itself. To do this, both parts would require a large amount of electric charge, ore, and a way to refine it into fuel as well as a strong (green) connection to each other through CommNet (The two portals have to be able to communicate with each other and both have green signals. The signals can bounce as many times as needed but the route must stay green the entire way through). This would work only on bodies without an atmosphere, and in space. In order to function in-atmosphere, the portal part would need an airlock. Said airlock would be a deployable space made of "hardlight" or some form of tarp (textures would be interchangable for people who don't like scifi. Then again, why would they be using a portal mod if they don't like scifi. Whatever.). A ship would need to fit inside the airlock, which would need an increasingly large amount of electric charge to hold open (because it's hardlight) the bigger it gets.

But what if you want to go somewhere else but you already have two portals set up? Easy, just switch the target location on the portal "here" portal to the desired "there" portal (all portals function as both "here" and "there" portals at the same time).

Why does it exist? It's a colonization mod that I just thought would be a cool thing. Unfortunatley, I have next to no skill and would probably grow bored of maintaining the mod quite quickly, if it ever became a thing in the first place. That's where you guys come in. Anyone and everyone can make this mod, I'm simply bringing up the topic.

Well, that's everything I have to say. Bye!

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.