[1.12.x] Kerbal NRAP - Procedural test weights!

linuxgurugamer

This is a continuation of the Kerbal NRAP mod, which was orignally written by @kotysoft (original thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/65937-kerbal-nrap-adjustable-test-weight-for-lifter-building/)

and continued by @stupid_chris (thread here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/69054-112-kerbal-nrap-procedural-test-weights-v1511-010516/#comment-1075313)

Dependencies

CKAN has been updated with the new dependency

ADJUSTABLE TEST WEIGHT

for lifter testing purposes

0.01 - 1000t

nrap03.jpg

What is this exactly for?

The title speaks for itself. This simple MOD made for those KSP project managers 
(hereinafter referred to "players"), who builds lifter rockets (and save as subassembly)
for different payloads to overcome that evil Kerbin gravity. Personally I playing
carreer mode, and time-to-time, after some new research, I make lifters for
10-20-50-100t payloads, but already tired to stock up many Rockomax fuel tanks
to get X tons of payload. Made it for myself, but shared to public.

How it works?

This part is functional just like an unmanned pod. So put this on your lifter in VAB,
right click on it, and you can open a simple gui to change mass, diameter and height.
Don't forget to apply changes before you close the UI.
MonoPropellant and ElectricCharge can be adjustable in normal way.
(by right clicking on part and move KSP original slider)
By adding MonoPropellant, it raises mass 0.4t by 100 unit.

Carreer mode

If you playing career mode, you have to unlock this part in R&D facility in starter tech.

CNekNfX.png

5C5UUFQ.png

side_source1.pngside_source2.png

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

Original thread

All credit for the original idea as well as for the models and textures for this go to @kotysoft. He's awesome!

9c5M3h2.png

QXm9VdL.png

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Initial Release: 1.5.2 (https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/NRAP/releases/tag/1.5.2)

• Fixed issue where it was telling KSP that the size was changing every tick, which was causing issues in other mods which were reacting to the event
  • Fixed issue where clicking Apply wasn't updating the Totalmass display immediately, you needed to click it a 2nd time
  • Fixed issue where changing the fuel wasn't showing the change in mass unless you clicked the Apply button
  • Removed the CompatibilityChecker

Currently available only at Github, I've asked @stupid_chris to give me access to the mod on Spacedock.  That will avoid the need to update CKAN with new information

Edit:  Now available on Spacedock, thanks @stupid_chris

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 2017-02-05 at 6:01 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Please open an issue on Github for this

Just commented on your Github issue @eberkain, I think it would be great to have a fine-adjustable slider for reasons.

I'd love to see a fine-grained slider that snaps to the nearest 0.005 lets say. Would give tons of flexibility to size the test weight to simulate different sized payloads or fairings. Edit: I am using Tweakscale, Tantares and BDB as well as some other mods which result in some odd sized stages such as .9375 (close enough to .938), 1.5, 1.875, 3.125, etc. Having a freely adjustable diameter would be great.

On 05/02/2017 at 8:52 AM, eberkain said:

Can you add a 1.875 m size if you have the MOLE mod installed?

I am not very experienced with CFGs myself, so please take this with a grain of salt. As I said, I'm not sure, but I believe this would be a pretty easy config tweak. Or you could use TweakScale, but that might mess up some mass stuff.

Regarding the additional part sizes, I'm looking at one of the following two methods:

• Totally adjustable slider, snapping to the nearest (0.005???)
  • A configurable list of sizes.  This would add an additional dialog, in which you could create a list of sizes.  I'm not sure if having the ability to have multiple different lists is needed, so for right now, it would be a single list

Let me know what you think

On 2/4/2017 at 10:30 PM, Fobok said:

*snip*

I think you now maintain about a quarter of my mod list. :)

You aren't kidding with that.  I have no idea how many I've got now that your maintaining.  You really are making a herculean effort to keep some of the better mods around alive and well for us these days.  For that I can't thank you enough.

For resurrecting this mod I shall now be happy to bear your kerbals. :wub:  I also play no-revert and missing NRAP is murder on that situation.  Kerbal Weights is cool and all but it is nowhere near as versatile for simple lifter body testing.  Thank you so much!

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Regarding the additional part sizes, I'm looking at one of the following two methods:

• A configurable list of sizes.  This would add an additional dialog, in which you could create a list of sizes.  I'm not sure if having the ability to have multiple different lists is needed, so for right now, it would be a single list

...sorry for the doubles...

I say do it which ever way makes the coding easier.  Having a list of sizes to select from is perfectly fine although the flexibility of a fully adjustable slider would be really nice.  Easier and simple coding though is more important and I think those of us that use it anyway would be fine with what works best for you.

Edited by rasta013

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Could you make the config dialogue a part of the main menu config system, I've seen alot of mods using that lately. 

12 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Could you make the config dialogue a part of the main menu config system, I've seen alot of mods using that lately. 

Only if there are a fixed number of sizes.   Which may not be too bad, if I put in a large enough number.

28 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

You aren't kidding with that.  I have no idea how many I've got now that your maintaining.  You really are making a herculean effort to keep some of the better mods around alive and well for us these days.  For that I can't thank you enough.

For resurrecting this mod I shall now be happy to bear your kerbals. :wub:  I also play no-revert and missing NRAP is murder on that situation.  Kerbal Weights is cool and all but it is nowhere near as versatile for simple lifter body testing.  Thank you so much!

Are you using KRASH?

16 hours ago, eberkain said:

I'm still working on the final problem, which is when NRAP is the root part, and you leave the scene and come back, the size is wrong.

I'm leaning towards not allowing it to be a root part.

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm still working on the final problem, which is when NRAP is the root part, and you leave the scene and come back, the size is wrong.

There are plenty of parts that are not allowed to be a root.   It makes since for NRAP because its just a test weight to simulate payload.

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

that's something I can override with my own MM patch right? Having this part as root is how I build all my rockets as it lets me do it stage by stage with the NRAP simulating the weight of the upper stage(s) and then I can just break off the stage as a sub-assembly and then re-build the rocket under the actual payload.

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

leave the scene and come back, the size is wrong.

But it's not saved that way right? So you just have to reload the craft?

46 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

that's something I can override with my own MM patch right? Having this part as root is how I build all my rockets as it lets me do it stage by stage with the NRAP simulating the weight of the upper stage(s) and then I can just break off the stage as a sub-assembly and then re-build the rocket under the actual payload.

But it's not saved that way right? So you just have to reload the craft?

Yes, you will be able to override it.

Re. it being saved, it is saved correctly.  I'm not definite on this yet, but if I can't fix it, then I will lock it from being a root part.

Ok, this is a test release:  1.5.3.1:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fd1x6ic7otth37c/NRAP-1.5.3.1.zip?dl=0

You can now specify up to 10 fixed sizes in the standard settings page, and when the NRAP window is open, you can either use the snappable or fully dynamic size.

Also, the NRAP window is now draggable.

I'm not sure this is final, I'd like to get your feedback first, also, please test the heck out of it for me.

Thanks

With USI Asteroid Recycling Technology the asteroids have a huge mass. A class E can have for example 4.000.000 tons. So capturing is not an option.
However, a class A with a trajectory perfect for a capture could maybe done with few deltaV and a huge rocket.

I wonder if would make sense to allow NRAP to also include those crazy masses.

Discovered another bug.   Take this simple rocket.  

WNMuKTi.png

I remove the launch clamp, and then press undo and I get this. 

MDDrkWm.png

You can see that performing an undo causes the NRAP to clip downward, well below the attachment point, this is repeatable with different vessels and after reloading the game.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.