14 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Red:

qPqyHBV.png

For all your red pixel needs, this pixel is 100% pure-bred #FF0000! You can download this pixel if you manage to click on it!

But I am on mobile! Haha!

Oh wait....

Thanks for the brand new red pixel though!

qPqyHBV.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2017 at 7:53 AM, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

WHAT KIND OF CRUEL JOKE IS THIS?! YOU CANT CLICK ON IT!

If you're clever, you can.

qPqyHBV.png

Here's another.

--------

These looks nice ! I love pixelated pictures as they show that it really is our brains that makes images, not just the eyes. Are most of them manually "placed" ?

9 minutes ago, YNM said:

These looks nice ! I love pixelated pictures as they show that it really is our brains that makes images, not just the eyes.

I've never thought of it that way before. You're right!

9 minutes ago, YNM said:

Are most of them manually "placed" ?

Simple shapes are done with line, rectangle, "circle"* tools. Things like star fields, gas clouds, and rocky surfaces are done with a "scatter" tool that has various settings and is quite versatile. For instance, the cryogenic gases around the Saturn V's first stage, the black hole's accretion disk, the star field around the black hole, and the moon cave were all made with the scatter tool. More precise shapes, like characters and details are done more by hand, like the hardware on the outside of the Soyuz capsule. For planetary features, I usually layer a bunch of effects. See this picture:

q4Pzx6w.png

Boundaries are rarely very crisp on planets and moons (Earth is an obvious exception) so I use strokes with low opacity to give my planets a more authentic look.

So, no, I don't place each pixel individually. I have basic painting software tools (and a few less basic ones too!).

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

I've never thought of it that way before. You're right!

I've interfered enough with old enough people to have some pixelated things within my memory. Here's the forum where I had my first account (not my first post ofc, that's hundreds in already).

Example are your last image - to me the two top layer actually goes inverted, being more yellow on top. Thanks brain !

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

... So, no, I don't place each pixel individually. I have basic painting software tools (and a few less basic ones too!).

Ah, well, I know we have them nowadays, it's just that I thought it was as elaborate as what people could do in that other forum I mentioned (well a lot ends up converting from something else, and usually helped by randomizer or shader or something).

Edited by YNM

On 8/5/2017 at 8:23 PM, cubinator said:

UtOKCHS.png

The scatter tool is pseudo-random, so it's algorithm generates a grid pattern in this image. For some reason, I can discern it quite easily on PC, but not on mobile. I can barely see the lines on my phone, but I can see the whole grid on PC even between the differently colored regions. How do you guys see the grid?

Europan Base:

JE9EB9E.png

The rocket is burning hydrolox because it is a local transport between the moons, so boiloff is less of a problem, and water is abundant in the system for fuel manufacture. (Also I drew this in an airplane in flight)

Edited by cubinator

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.