Steam Achievements

I think there should be achievements for steam. This could add some direction for new players and a challenge for KSP veterans. Some achievements could include:

Easy ones:

• Achieve orbit
  • Land on the Mun
  • Return from the surface of the Mun
  • Land on Minmus

Medium difficulty:

• Land on Duna
  • Land on Ike
  • Land on Eve
  • Land from Gilly

Really difficult:

• Return from the surface of Eeloo
  • Return from the Explodium Sea of Eve
  • Collect scientific data from everything
  • Return from the surface of every planet
Edited by sumghai
Renamed title for clarity and removed unneccessary tags

I decided to make my own set too (yes, there are some dupes of yours, consider I just added names then)

"Beginner" difficulty:

To infinity and beyond! : Launch your first rocket

Fly, you fools! : launch your first aircraft

Up you go: Enter Kerbin's upper athmosphere

SPAAAAAAAAACE: Reach space

Around the world in 80 minutes: Get into a stable orbit around Kerbin

"Easy" difficulty:

I'm a poor lonesome spacecraft: Escape from Kerbin's SOI

Definitely not Saturn: Orbit the Mun

Feeling blue: Orbit Minmus

Adding craters: Crash into the Mun

A small step for Jeb: Land on the Mun with a crew, and return

A bigger step for Jeb; Land on Minmus with a crew, and return

IKS: Build a space station

"Medium" difficulty:

The mercury is climbing: Orbit Moho

May contain traces of evil: Orbit Eve

D'aaaaw, so cute! : Orbit Gilly

You stranded it you maniac! : Land on Eve

Seeing red: Orbit Duna

Displaying curiosity: Land a rover on Duna

Extreme sunbathing: Get within a gigameter of the Sun

Alone in the belt: Orbit Dres

This one is space worm free: Capture an asteroid into the orbit of Kerbin

It's full of moons: Orbit Jool

Eeloo? Anyone there? Orbit Eeloo

Air is overrated: Get into orbit with an aircraft powered only by RAPIERs

"Hard" difficulty

Is that a restaurant?: Go further than 1 terameter away from the Sun

New horizons: Land on Eeloo, then come back to Kerbin

The Dunian: Build a base on Duna with at least 4 kerbals in it.

Aerobraking is for losers: Land on Tylo

From home to home: Land a crewed vessel on Laythe

That is not dead which can eternal lie: Get within a kilometer of the kraken

Careful! Don't taunt it: Get a magic boulder in orbit aroung Kerbin

"Extreme" difficulty

Five-landers discount: Plant a flag on all moons of Jool in one launch, then come back to Kerbin

I'll show them, I'll show them all!: Land a crewed craft on Eve, then return to Kerbin

This is the essence of magic: Bring three different colored magic boulders on a single craft.

One ship to flag them all: Plant a flag on every bodies of the solar system with one craft

So long, and thanks for the ship! Reach 100 km/s beyond the orbit of Kerbin

Those are some good names!  Some more:

• Slung: Flyby Mun and reach Duna orbit with the same craft.
  • Nice Shooting: Take off from Kerbin, orbit the Mun, and land on the Runway at KSC
  • A Less Civilized Age: Find the alternate space center
  • The Grand Tour: Orbit every body with a single craft
  • Crusin': Cover 100km with a single rover
  • Down the Rabbit Hole: Explore the Mohole
  • Bonneville: Reach ground speed equal to liftoff velocity on the Minmus flats
  • Calculated: Complete Nice Shooting, but return with <1% fuel remaining
  • Veteran: Have a kerbal reach level 5
  • Requiescat in Pace: Kill a kerbal
  • Ultralight: Reach orbit with a very low mass vehicle
  • G-LOC: Have a kerbal pass out from over-gee
  • Buzz the Tower: Pass within 10 meters of the Mun surface going faster than 400m/s

One could create a plethora of achievements simply for reaching certain geographical features.

Sadly I think Squad has said that they will not implement Steam achievements.  Might be an outdated announcement but idk.

• 3 months later...

Hi, hate to be the spoilsport but I think steam achievements much like steam workshop is destined never to happen.  Squad have said that they would not add features that would be only accessible to part of the user base, in this case those who purchased the product from steam. The feature would not work for those who purchased KSP from the store,  and yet they would still have to lug around all the extra code and resources to make achievements work, while not getting any benefit, and  that seems a bit off to me.

6 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, hate to be the spoilsport but I think steam achievements much like steam workshop is destined never to happen.  Squad have said that they would not add features that would be only accessible to part of the user base, in this case those who purchased the product from steam. The feature would not work for those who purchased KSP from the store,  and yet they would still have to lug around all the extra code and resources to make achievements work, while not getting any benefit, and  that seems a bit off to me.

Then they need to add in-game achievements and mirror them on Steam.

I'll just pop my head in and say this:

For me and my personal experiences, the true reward and achievement came in the form of satisfaction. When I first landed on  the Mün, I was more extatic that I did it than completing any digital achievement. If there was one, I personally would've only felt maybe 5% more satisfied with myself.

Ultimately digital achievements are cool and can show progress between players (show who really plays vs just poked around with it). However as far as achieving the achievements, I feel that personally it just isn't worth the effort as the act alone is far more satisfying than completing the digital achievement. 

Bit of a ramble but I hope you followed and can understand what I'm trying to say.

Personally, I've seen achievements as an in-game way to track your progress with different tasks. The R&D facility has a sort of checklist for science, but I think it could be expanded for piloting and engineering achievements like those mentioned above. At the very least there could be an achievement for collecting all of the science, which is one of the main goals of the stock game.

25 minutes ago, SchwinnTropius said:

Personally, I've seen achievements as an in-game way to track your progress with different tasks.

Ok, I can kind of see that.

However, I would love to see something like the Final Frontier mod added to the game.  It provides a way to track what you've done, but it does it in a way that is internal to the game and its world/experience/immersion, rather than an external thing that doesn't really connect to the game.  In addition, it's a per-save feature.  External achievements are a per-game thing, and I'd much rather be able to track each save individually.

There is one problem. Steam/console achievements can be done only once. With replayability KSP has, it's kinda useless.

On the other hand, in-game achievements could work, stored once per save, but then we have World's First milestones, which kinda do the same job.

7 hours ago, The Aziz said:

There is one problem. Steam/console achievements can be done only once. With replayability KSP has, it's kinda useless.

On the other hand, in-game achievements could work, stored once per save, but then we have World's First milestones, which kinda do the same job.

That's not a problem if they do them in-game and then mirror them to Steam.  The Steam achievements will represent your first time while the in-game ones can be done once per install (cause there is no way to track them)

9 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Yes there is, and you can trust me, I have it! Can't remember the name however...

So in other words, there is no mod that adds achievements.  Only the game creator can add achievements.  Valve won't allow mods to do it.

Edited by Alshain

3 minutes ago, Alshain said:

So in other words, there is no mod that adds achievements.  Only the game creator can add achievements.  Valve won't allow mods to do it.

Dun dun dun... and it is named... ksp achievements.

Edit: that was before your edit. I see what you mean now, I was talking about in game achievements.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

7 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Dun dun dun... and it is named... ksp achievements.

Edit: that was before your edit. I see what you mean now, I was talking about in game achievements.

That doesn't add Steam achievements, which is the subject of this thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.