Liquid Engines won't restart after shutdown

I am relatively new to Kerbal, but have a very simple rocket with two liquid engines surrounded by solid (thumper) boosters.  Trying to establish orbit, but after I have shutdown the liquid motors (once the AP is sufficiently high to coast), when I try to restart the motors at AP to establish initial orbit, the indicators show that the motor is restarted, but the motor doesn't burn (no thrust).  The throttle is fully open, the motor just doesn't start.  It seems to be somewhat intermittent as the first liquid stage starts right up no problem after the boosters burn out.

Am I missing something fundamental that is required to restart the engine?

Thanks.

(I don't play on console so I might be missing something really obvious for console players)

What do you mean by shutdown? Did you go in the engine menu and select "Shutdown engine" or did you just cut the throttle? (I'm assuming you still have plenty of fuel)

If you cut the throttle, the engine should start again simply by increasing throttle, which you said you did.

If you properly shut down the engine, you need to restart it through the part menu; simply increasing the throttle or staging won't work.

What might have also happened is that you ran out of electric charge (so power) for your ship during the coasting phase. If it's probe controlled, then this will restrain you from activating engines or doing anything really. If you have a Kerbal on board, and since the consoles are still in 1.1, you should lose control of your ship as well (not 100% sure about that one anymore since 1.2 on PC messed with pilots and probes controls)

Gaarst...thanks for the quick reply!

By shutdown I mean I went to the engine menu and selected "shutdown engine".

I was curious about the electric charge part since whether or not the engine would restart seemed to be related to the mission time elapsed between the shutdown and the attempt to restart.  I tried adding a battery just below the command module at one point, but that did not seem to do the trick.  I will have to try it again.  Is there something special about placement of the battery in order for it to work?

I am away from the console right now, but will try the flight again throttling back instead of shutting the engine down to see if that works.

Thanks again!

13 hours ago, PetoskeyScott said:

Gaarst...thanks for the quick reply!

By shutdown I mean I went to the engine menu and selected "shutdown engine".

I was curious about the electric charge part since whether or not the engine would restart seemed to be related to the mission time elapsed between the shutdown and the attempt to restart.  I tried adding a battery just below the command module at one point, but that did not seem to do the trick.  I will have to try it again.  Is there something special about placement of the battery in order for it to work?

I am away from the console right now, but will try the flight again throttling back instead of shutting the engine down to see if that works.

Thanks again!

EC is automatically distributed all across the ship. A battery on your command pod will feed your engine. In fact EC is not required to start the engine (as a car igniter for example) but simply to be able to control the ship and throttle up.

If shutting down / restarting the engine through the menu doesn't work, it might be a bug.

How about the obvious? After r-clicking to shut down, are you r-clicking to choose re-activate? If not, the engine will stay shut down. The only reason to shut down KSP engines with the r-click menu is to prevent accidental throttle-ups. Otherwise, you can just leave them throttled to zero. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.