Which languages do you speak?

NSEP

23 hours ago, Dman979 said:

I speak English, American Sign Language, and smidgens of German, Hebrew, French, Spanish (I can fluently say I don't speak the last four.)

Also, I speak fluent Pig Latin, Uppywuppy.

ASL here too... full alphabet, counting, and a smattering of word-signs. I have a cousin who used to teach deaf children, so I had her tutelage thrust upon me.

American English, also a few words here and there of: Russian, German, Spanish, French, Indonesian, and of course Italian (after all, I live in NJ).

More than any of those (excepting American English), I am learning Georgian (Kartuli / ქართული). I need to study its alphabet. I am near conversational, or so I'm told... but I'm not quite that confident about that lol.

English (Canuck style) by birth.  French (the France kind, the Quebeqois just look at me funny).  My parents are Dutch so I have picked some of that up, after a few days of immersion I can hold minimal conversations.  I can order meals, ask girls to dance get help comfortably in Spanish and Portuguese.  I used to be able to do the same with Malay, but haven't used it in 15 years so that's all forgotten.

Most of you probably know this, but for those who haven't yet travelled much, and it sounds goofy, but learn how to swear in whatever local dialect you'll be in.  Not because of the obvious reasons, but honestly it is a great way to make people laugh and an easy road to friendships with the locals.

Edited by justidutch

8 hours ago, Camacha said:

Define language. Are we merely talking about human to human interface protocols?

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

A lot of people here have mentioned human to computer interface as well...

The questions was "Which languages do you speak?"

So, unless you're going to stand there saying...

:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, LordFerret said:

:rolleyes:

My request was to specify definitions. I tried reasoning with the forums using three different human to human interface protocols, but none of my settings would change. Not even a page would reload. A mouse squeaked, but that might have been a coincidence. I also seem to have trouble doing calculus in ordinary English. It gets all wordy. I heard some rumours about people performing obscure rituals, scratching arcane symbols onto walls or onto the skins of dead trees, which might yield the correct answers if you stay at it long enough.

I might have been using the wrong languages in both cases.

3 hours ago, LordFerret said:

After all, with computer there is always something to talk about.

And yes, such organic chauvinism dissapoints.

3 hours ago, LordFerret said:

That's why high-level languages are invented.

I mean, human's ones.

Edited by kerbiloid

I speak English (native speaker), some French although I'm horribly out of practice, and a small smattering of German. I could probably order a beer, say thank you and apologize in a couple of other languages. Also, I know a couple of phrases (including Jeb is a badS) in Old Kerba. :) 

22 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

After all, with computer there is always something to talk about.

And yes, such organic chauvinism dissapoints.

That's why high-level languages are invented.

I mean, human's ones.

First, my bad - how did I miss this? "The questions was..." should be "The question was..." Guess I was a little fast on the keys there. :blush:

Other than that, I'm a little surprised that nobody caught onto my Bender (Futurama) reference in all of this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.