Which languages do you speak?

NSEP

3 hours ago, qzgy said:

Hmm. I'd like to disagree with you there. Have you seen the crap that english is?

In fairness, I've only really known how to speak/read dutch. Spelling may be harder

English is crappy too, but the Dutch grammar and sometimes words is just as confusing. I'm Dutch an we still have to learn it untill school ends, no poetry or writing after some time, just grammar, spelling and all that stuff ya know. For me, English can be messy, but its waaaay easier.

Speaking and reading Dutch is like the very very easy part my man.

Edited by NSEP

Reading Dutch is reasonably easy to learn for someone who already knows English or German. They share a common ancestry and are relatively similar in both vocabulary and grammar. Speaking it will be tricky for pretty much everybody. Dutch use various sounds and pronunciations not (or very rarely) used in any other language.
Besides the tricky pronunciation, Dutch day to day language is laced with proverbs, idioms and contradictions. In one situation a sentence or word can mean one thing. In another situation it might mean something completely different. We know what it means since we use it every day. A foreigner might understand the words, but has no idea what they exactly mean.

Spoken Languages

-English

-Latin

Latin is extremely useful to know because you have all of the root words of English and many other common languages.

Code

-Java

-C++

-Python

-HTML, XML, CSS, JS

-Some others I don't know the name of. :confused:

pidgin(s) & sabir(S) [insert amount within]

Spoiler

sabir designates a language born of the contact between speakers speaking different mother tongues placed before the need to communicate. The sabir is by definition a vehicular and non-maternal language, produced from the mixture of several mother tongues, considered to be poorer than a pidgin (see the difference between pidgin, a Creole and a sabir.) To the immediate needs of the speakers, and a simplified syntax with respect to languages of borrowing.

Historically, the term sabir refers to the language used in trade circles to communicate in North Africa and the Middle East, a mixture of several Mediterranean languages. This language of the ports of the Mediterranean results from a mixture of French, Spanish, Greek, Italian and Arabic. The word sabir used in this sense appears at least in 1852; It is an alteration of the Portuguese, Castilian, Catalan and occitan saber ("know") borrowed from the Latin sapere2,3.

In a comical register, Moliere alludes to the sabir in the bourgeois gentilhomme.

Related articles [edit | Change the code]
Vernacular
Liturgical language
Vehiculare language
Lingua franca
koine
Creole
Pidgin

almost "crystal" clear

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

A test tells you which language you call English.

http://www.gameswithwords.org/WhichEnglish/

P.S. .In my case it guessed right.

In my case, wayy off. Thought I might have been a native norwegian, and spoke a South African dialect (as top picks). The 2nd choice for native language was correct, but the dialect option were welsh and New Zealandish.

I live on the East Coast of the United States, and never been to any of those areas. Kinda far off.

My Languages:

Speak:

- English

- Mathematics (very fun)

Understand:

- English

- Mathematics (Still really fun)

- A bit of Spanish

- A little bit of Russian

- Some Greek

- Some Latin

Did not study Russian in school, just picked up a little while going through KSP and looking back at the history of the Space Race.

• 2 weeks later...

ENGLISH!

Any more? NO!*

*unless you count the facts that I used to be learning Spanish, and that I want to learn Russian

I speak english (first language)

Learning German for two years now. I can probably get by in common conversation, but not if i had to actual be interesting and not frustrating to talk to. I use it with friends around school, often in a jokey manner, and I'm good enough to trick my dad (never learnt german) to think i was a native speaker.

Learning French for one year now. I enjoy it less than German (i enjoy German a lot), but its still okay.

On 7/22/2017 at 9:46 AM, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

lol wut http://archive.gameswithwords.org/WhichEnglish/done.php

its actually kinda scary, as i have lived in canada for more than 6 months (3 years), and I am part welsh. But never seen Australia, and only met, like a Australian 

This is AWESOME! According to it I could be a Singaporean, an Afro-American (at least I learn a bit of Creole) or a South African... so fun as I was born in Europe.

gLaiuOf.png

I'll recommend it to some of my contacts who need a good laugh.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.