[Released][1.3.1] Antenna Helper [v0.90] (27 Feb 2018)

Li0n

Antenna Helper 0.18 is up on GitHub !

**Flight & MapView Update**
* **Flight Window** : show info about the active connection and potential relays
* complete re-wrote of the flight scene code, no more KSP API to get the signal strength, only math :-)

**DEPENDENCY**
*MUST be installed*
Toolbar Controller version 0.1.4.6 or higher

Setting file has changed, make sure you delete your GameData/AntennaHelper folder before installing this version.

Here it is, in-flight NUMBERS (about antenna(s) :wink: )

hVamP7W.png

When you hit the button this is the window you'll see, The first line show the TOTAL signal strength of your vessel. Each button below represent a link in the path between your vessel and the DSN. Multiply each link signal strength and you get the TOTAL signal strength.

The "Potential Relays" button show you all the in-flight relays :

DBrkxdp.png

The line in bold are the total signal strength, and the button a link in the path between a relay and the DSN.

All those buttons are not there to look pretty, if you click on one of them you'll get detailed info about this link :

8vdTyNj.png

To don't impact on performance too much the number are updated every half second ONLY when the gui is visible.

Enjoy :)

Edited by Li0n

A few things I wanted to add last night about :

The future of Antenna Helper :

With the last version all (major) functionality are here, the ones I haven't add are for edge case, IMO. Known bugs, specifically those about the circles, will stay there (at least) until KSP 1.4, I want to see what the new version of Unity brings for the shader/camera.

So next version will be 1.0 :D. It will add parameters to disable part of Antenna Helper (if you want it only on the editor, or flight, etc...), also unifying the UI, and readying it for the translations.

If you want to help :

• English is not my native language, search for typo, grammar fault or whatever
  • Translations : @CN_Warren and @AlexALX offered to do Chinese and Russian (are you still willing to ?). I'm looking for volunteer for the Japanese and Spanish jobs. (files ain't ready yet)
  • Look for various UFI (Unidentified Flying Insect, a.k.a. bugs), I'm sure there still some :wink: Look at the "know issue" on the OP to see which one I already know about.

Reaching 1.0 don't mean I'll stop developing this mod but my mind is already on another project so I'd like to "finish" this one ASAP :wink:

2 hours ago, b0ss said:

Took one look at the title and I'm already in love. Does this work with Interstellar's beamed power system?

No idea. I did what I think is necessary to support modded solar system but didn't test it. I'd really like if you can test it and report how it goes.

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

@Li0n do the circles always orient themselves with 0 degrees inclination or do they reorient themselves between vessel and target so that they align parallel with respect to the connection vector?

They should always align with the connection vector.

Ah not modded solar systems haha, I mean the Interstellar Extended mod, it has a bunch of parts that can send energy as infrared/microwaves across space to be received by other craft and turned into usable energy. Works similar to transmitting science points in stock AFAIK

11 hours ago, b0ss said:

Ah not modded solar systems haha, I mean the Interstellar Extended mod, it has a bunch of parts that can send energy as infrared/microwaves across space to be received by other craft and turned into usable energy. Works similar to transmitting science points in stock AFAIK

I've never use this mod but I guess the functionality you referring to is this one : https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/wiki/Beamed-Power

From the wiki and a quick look at the code it don't work like the stock antenna system, at all. Do distance between transmitter and receiver matters ? On the wiki it seems to be more about the orientation between the two.

So no, it won't work with Antenna Helper, and not being antenna related I won't make extra support for it. If you, or anyone, want to make a "Microwaves Helper" mod feel free to take whatever you need from Antenna Helper, but I think the two system are too different.

Hi, I recently took a walk through my output.log and found quite a bit of this towards the end of my game session:

Spoiler

Exception handling event onVesselWasModified in class AHFlight:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at AntennaHelper.AHFlight.DestroyMarkers () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AntennaHelper.AHFlight.VesselModified (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at AntennaHelper.AHFlight.DestroyMarkers () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AntennaHelper.AHFlight.VesselModified (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
ReCoupler.FlightJointTracker:SetNodes()
ReCoupler.FlightJointTracker:CreateLink()
ReCoupler.FlightJointTracker:.ctor(AttachNode, AttachNode, Boolean, Boolean)
ReCoupler.FlightReCoupler:parseAttachNodes(AttachNode, List`1, Vessel)
ReCoupler.FlightReCoupler:generateJoints(Vessel)
ReCoupler.FlightReCoupler:checkActiveVessels()
ReCoupler.FlightReCoupler:onVesselGoOffRails(Vessel)
EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
Vessel:GoOffRails()
OrbitPhysicsManager:LateUpdate()

Here is the log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wlmvkaz2akij72/saves for Antenna Helper.2.output_log.txt?dl=0

I have removed the mod for the moment.

20 hours ago, Apaseall said:

Hi, I recently took a walk through my output.log and found quite a bit of this towards the end of my game session:

Thanks for the report. I think it's an issue with Recoupler, I'll dig more into it and try to make a fix for tonight.

7 hours ago, Li0n said:

Thanks for the report. I think it's an issue with Recoupler, I'll dig more into it and try to make a fix for tonight.

Very much appreciated. I will try to remember to drop by to pick up any update and reinstall. Thank you.

Antenna Helper almost 1.0 (0.90) is up on GitHub !

**General Update :**
* in-game settings : use stock/blizzy toolbar, enable per scene, change the timing of the gui update
* ready for localization, looking for translator, if you're interested please send me a message on the forum or github

**Flight / MapView Update :**
* more safety check when a vessel is modified/destroyed

**DEPENDENCY**
*MUST be installed*
Toolbar Controller version 0.1.4.7 or higher
*MUST be installed*
**DEPENDENCY**

Settings :

kfEopsM.png

If you want to help for the translation please send me a message.

@Apaseall I've made some tweak that should help with the nullref you were seeing. I'm not sure it will be enough tho. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue (you have too many mods :wink: ), but for what I've seen on your log they appears only when your vessel is destroyed (scene/vessel switch destroy vessel). If so it won't have any impact (except add line to your log), as Antenna Helper restart it-self in such case. I'll appreciate if you can give it a try.

Edited by Li0n

1 hour ago, N3N said:

@Li0n: Nice mod, good wok! :wink:

Will the the next release (1.0?) maybe be on CKAN?

Didn't know it can be used to cook Asian food but thanks :wink:

Yep 1.0 will be on CKAN. (and SpaceDock)

13 hours ago, Apaseall said:

@Li0nI am not aware of large amounts of errors being posted in the output log atm. Thank you for working on the patch.

You're welcome.I really appreciate you give me an update on this. If those errors (or new ones :wink: ) ever comes back please (re-)report it.

After a year a development, Antenna Helper is now Release Ready :

This thread will close shortly, any discussion/bug report should continue on the new one. See you :)

Edited by Li0n