Li0n

[Released][1.3.1] Antenna Helper [v0.90] (27 Feb 2018)

Recommended Posts

On 12/8/2017 at 9:07 PM, Li0n said:

Ok. Not sure what I can do about that, first I should address the unpredictable orientation issue discussed earlier. If I fix it now, if I can, I most likely have to re-fix it when I'll made the better orientation method.

here's a vid the shows both issues - ignore audio (Was listening to a video while recording)

I already forgot you changed the window to be movable, but eventually remembered near the end 

The 2nd satellite I switch to around minmus is the one with the angled disks (as viewed from the first satellite)
When I switch to that 2nd sat, it's active connection view is the one that flickers between two disks and has it's orientation linked to the disks.

(video deleted)

Edited by wile1411

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@wile1411 thanks for the video.

It will take me a little time to process it, a few more info I'd like to have :

For the mis-oriented and flickers circles, are they always act like that ? ie if you time-wrap a few days in the future how do they look ?

If you can send me a video of the mis-oriented circle at high time-wrap I could tell you if it is the "predictable unpredictable orientation", which is normal.

I notice that the connection line between yours vessels are all white, in my game they all show with the color of their signal strength, is it a mod that do that ?

For the disappearing circle : can you focus your camera on the sun, rotate it to a top down view (ie look at the sun north pole) and zoom away. As you zoom the circles should disappear, the smaller first. Can you confirm it happens, and is it the issue you mentioned ?

Lastly if you can find a way to reproduce those issue on a stock game that would be awesome, way more easy to debug when I can see/interact with the issue directly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2017 at 4:37 AM, Li0n said:

@wile1411 thanks for the video.

It will take me a little time to process it, a few more info I'd like to have :

For the mis-oriented and flickers circles, are they always act like that ? ie if you time-wrap a few days in the future how do they look ?

If you can send me a video of the mis-oriented circle at high time-wrap I could tell you if it is the "predictable unpredictable orientation", which is normal.

I notice that the connection line between yours vessels are all white, in my game they all show with the color of their signal strength, is it a mod that do that ?

For the disappearing circle : can you focus your camera on the sun, rotate it to a top down view (ie look at the sun north pole) and zoom away. As you zoom the circles should disappear, the smaller first. Can you confirm it happens, and is it the issue you mentioned ?

Lastly if you can find a way to reproduce those issue on a stock game that would be awesome, way more easy to debug when I can see/interact with the issue directly.

 

Flickering always acts like that regardless of warp. Warped as highest speed for a week and no change to flicker rate.

The connection lines are white due to the mod CommNet Constallation that recolors links based on selected network.

for disappearing circles, when zooming far out I can't really tell when I hit the draw distance. Mainly because it seems that the disks are still being drawn all the way until it gets hidden behind the planet map icon. (ie I can still see the circles wen I get a big of Jools orbit in screen

I'll give a few tests a go during the week with stock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wile1411 said:

Flickering always acts like that regardless of warp. Warped as highest speed for a week and no change to flicker rate.

The flickering come from my code for orienting the circle runs in Update() but the rest of the map view graphic a bit latter. I've reproduce the same kind of flickering you see and I think I know how to get rid of it.

10 hours ago, wile1411 said:

for disappearing circles, when zooming far out I can't really tell when I hit the draw distance. Mainly because it seems that the disks are still being drawn all the way until it gets hidden behind the planet map icon. (ie I can still see the circles wen I get a big of Jools orbit in screen

Ok. Not sure what I can do about that, I'll focus on re-write the orientation method, we'll see how this issue look then.

22 hours ago, Gooner said:

Anyway to get this to work with Rss?

Did you try ? It should work with any solar system and it gets the real antenna and DSN power according to the game settings. Report how it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't work right for me, RSS uses a patch which increases ranges without having to change any ingame settings. I looked in the mod files to see if there was anything i could adjust myself but i had no luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

found a minor (all be it annoying) little bug where every time i open the map it generates a new icon for EVERY satalite i have active at the moment, and those icons don't disappear, in the span of 3-4 map opens i can have well over 100 of the little radio antenna icons in my little side bar =/

not sure how to fix this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gooner said:

Didn't work right for me, RSS uses a patch which increases ranges without having to change any ingame settings. I looked in the mod files to see if there was anything i could adjust myself but i had no luck.

Thanks for the report. I'll need to take a look at the RSS code to see how they do that. Mod compatibility is something I want to do but it's far from the top of my priority list... In the meantime they're may be a workaround : change the in-game range modifier to match what the RSS patch do. It should give Antenna Helper the right number to work with. No idea what number the antenna system will use, if it applies the in-game range modifier to the number already modified by the RSS patch that won't work...
Anyway I add RSS support to my to-do list.

4 hours ago, Hs.Panda said:

found a minor (all be it annoying) little bug where every time i open the map it generates a new icon for EVERY satalite i have active at the moment, and those icons don't disappear, in the span of 3-4 map opens i can have well over 100 of the little radio antenna icons in my little side bar =/

not sure how to fix this?

This has been already reported by @AlexALX and @wile1411 but I need a way to reproduce it on my install. Did you try to reinstall/re-download Antenna Helper ? Delete the AntennaHelper folder in your GameData folder before doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Version 0.10 is up, on Github !

Quote

* light update on the orientation method, shouldn't change a lot, but the circle orientation may be improved for inclined orbit
* update code now run at the same timing than map view gfx, fix the jitter at high time-wrap. Thanks to @sarbian
* some change to the add/remove toolbar button, may fix the multiple icon bug

 

@wile1411 The double circle jitter should be fixed, the solution actually come from a thread of yours, thanks to @sarbian. For the mis-oriented circle, at the beginning of your video, I've made a little change on how the circle gets oriented, it may be better but I don't think it will fix it.

@Hs.Panda @AlexALX @wile1411 I may have fixed the multiple icon bug, not sure as I never got it. Please report if it's still there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2017 at 8:11 AM, Li0n said:

Thanks for the report. I'll need to take a look at the RSS code to see how they do that. Mod compatibility is something I want to do but it's far from the top of my priority list... In the meantime they're may be a workaround : change the in-game range modifier to match what the RSS patch do. It should give Antenna Helper the right number to work with. No idea what number the antenna system will use, if it applies the in-game range modifier to the number already modified by the RSS patch that won't work...
Anyway I add RSS support to my to-do list.

Much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gooner if you try my workaround please report how it goes. If it works I add it to the OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Li0n said:

@Gooner if you try my workaround please report how it goes. If it works I add it to the OP.

I tried that mate but it just made the antennas 10x too strong. Somehow Rss has it set 10x higher but with the ingame gui still at 1.  I think it has something also to do with custom barn kit as its a dependancy and the patch wouldnt work without it (not sure if that helps) .

 

Edit

What i could try is removing the patch and just using the ingame gui. That way i get the strength needed and also should make this app work. Not sure the patch is even needed since they added antenna strength to the settings.

Edited by Gooner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gooner said:

I tried that mate but it just made the antennas 10x too strong. Somehow Rss has it set 10x higher but with the ingame gui still at 1.  I think it has something also to do with custom barn kit as its a dependancy and the patch wouldnt work without it (not sure if that helps) .

It does, thanks. A while back a take a quick look at Custom Barn Kit to support it, at the time I haven't add the support for the stock range modifier so I didn't bother too much with CBK. I'll come back to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CN_Warren said:

@Li0n  I like it, can internationalize?

Do you mean translate ? If so I like to but not now, the UI is not definitive enough. When the mod is near finished I'll ask for help to translate it, I can do it in french but nothing more on my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Li0n said:

Do you mean translate ? If so I like to but not now, the UI is not definitive enough. When the mod is near finished I'll ask for help to translate it, I can do it in french but nothing more on my own.

If you start related work, you can ping me, I can do Chinese part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CN_Warren said:

If you start related work, you can ping me, I can do Chinese part.

Thanks, I'll surely do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since version 0.9.0 the in flight settings option menu doesn't show up after clicking the antenna helper icon any more. Rings show up fine but can't change what is being displayed. Everything else seems to work great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JeffreyCor said:

Since version 0.9.0 the in flight settings option menu doesn't show up after clicking the antenna helper icon any more. Rings show up fine but can't change what is being displayed. Everything else seems to work great.

Thanks for the report. I guess the window is draw outside of the screen. I've tried, and failed, to draw the window next to the icon, I'll come back to it soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2017 at 8:45 PM, Li0n said:

Version 0.10 is up, on Github !

@wile1411 The double circle jitter should be fixed, the solution actually come from a thread of yours, thanks to @sarbian. For the mis-oriented circle, at the beginning of your video, I've made a little change on how the circle gets oriented, it may be better but I don't think it will fix it.

@Hs.Panda @AlexALX @wile1411 I may have fixed the multiple icon bug, not sure as I never got it. Please report if it's still there.

 

So I only did a quick test and can confirm the double circle flicker is indeed gone. Congrats! :) 

I wiped the previous install of AntennaHelper and noticed the new download of ver 0.10  is missing the Settings.cfg file. It probably gets created the first time you load it, but I noticed that my first attempt didn't have the window again. It came up after I switched to another vessel though. Occasionally the window is right along the top with just enough of a sliver that I can click and drag it back to a readable location. Having said that, unless you see an specific thing in the code, I might just chalk that up to my persistence file issues than this mod.

Side note: I finally launched a station with a couple of decent 15G dishes that can 'just' cover the entire of Duna orbit. As I've now got something with good antenna range, I can confirm that the circles do indeed stop drawing around about 2-3 mouse wheel steps prior to when Sarnus orbit is fully in view (OPM mod)

Orientation isn't all flat and there seems to be more angled circles compared to previous version, but you said that was expected / might work on it later. It is mostly level - I see them range around <10 degrees (I  think) off level compared to the DSN circles. Still very usable for it's intended purpose.

I've never gone interplanetary, so learning the large antenna ranges (>1G) is new and interesting to me at the moment.

 

Edited by wile1411

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

I wiped the previous install of AntennaHelper and noticed the new download of ver 0.10  is missing the Settings.cfg file. It probably gets created the first time you load it,

Yep, that's how it's supposed to work :wink:

 

34 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

 but I noticed that my first attempt didn't have the window again. It came up after I switched to another vessel though. Occasionally the window is right along the top with just enough of a sliver that I can click and drag it back to a readable location. Having said that, unless you see an specific thing in the code, I might just chalk that up to my persistence file issues than this mod.

I'm on it, should have a fix today.

35 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

Side note: I finally launched a station with a couple of decent 15G dishes that can 'just' cover the entire of Duna orbit. As I've now got something with good antenna range, I can confirm that the circles do indeed stop drawing around about 2-3 mouse wheel steps prior to when Sarnus orbit is fully in view (OPM mod)

So this is definitely a culling mask issue. I haven't done anything about it yet, but I know where to start.

36 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

Orientation isn't all flat and there seems to be more angled circles compared to previous version, but you said that was expected / might work on it later. It is mostly level - I see them range around <10 degrees (I  think) off level compared to the DSN circles. Still very usable for it's intended purpose.

I'll made more try on that later but I can't have them all on the same orientation : on the 3 rotation axis, 2 need to be constrained to keep the ship "in the circle". I can only play with the un-constrained one, the one that cross the relay and the ship, parallel to the circle surface. I've tried to rotate around this axis so the surface of the circle face the camera, as much as possible due to the others axis constraint but I don't really get how to math the angle on one axis while the vectors used as reference are on a 3d space...
How hard can quaternion be ? Well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Li0n said:

@JeffreyCor & @wile1411 Can you test this version. It should fix the map view window, it's now positioned near the button. (I hope so, the code for doing it is not really intuitive).

Yep - appears immediately next to the icon now. Awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Version 0.11 is up, on Github !

Quote

* fix the map view window, it now appears next to the toolbar button

 

@wile1411 thanks for the confirmation. For info the formula for the vertical position look like that :

float posY = Screen.height / 2f - toolbarButton.transform.position.y - windowRect.height / 3f;

Not very intuitive. Why the toolbarButton.transform.position is not the actual position of the toolbar button ? :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Li0n said:

@JeffreyCor & @wile1411 Can you test this version. It should fix the map view window, it's now positioned near the button. (I hope so, the code for doing it is not really intuitive).

Also works correctly for me as well showing up next to the button :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.