Shuttle Challenge v4 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] [THREAD CLOSED 06.08.17]

On 4/6/2017 at 7:38 PM, Comet Tail said:

Heyo. Okay, so there's that one rule...

What if we write our own script in kOS? Isn't programming an ascent trajectory from scratch more difficult than using MechJeb, or even flying it manually?

I'm thinking of taking up this challenge in realism overhaul with a precise Space Shuttle replica. :D

So landing accurately with it is going to be ludicrously difficult, heck, making a landing kOS script would be freakishly difficult, too, dealing with actual re-entry heating, and requiring the insane precision that RSS will require... The accurate, guided re-entry part would have to be a summer project :P

This rule is one from the very first iteration of the challenge, that has stuck around because I just never got round to really analyzing it, or checking it for sense making.  Really the motivation for the rule (which I want to keep) is to stop people pressing space bar and having the shuttle fly itself to orbit without any further input, or pressing a button on orbit and having the shuttle land without having any further input.  Really the rule should be:

"All atmospheric flight should be handled manually, with the exception of self scripted autopilot programs.  Mechjeb etc is fine for on orbit procedures".  

I guess what I'm saying is go for it!  I might just amend that rule with the above text if people think it makes sense.

On 4/8/2017 at 2:35 AM, biomecaman said:

STS-1a and STS-1b complete!

mods used:

Kerbal Engineer

Editor Extensions Redux

Dark Multiplayer

Is that still considered stock?

Final Ap/Pe for STS-1b 66,935.1 km / 66,902.3 km

Yes, this is still considered stock.  Basically the stock/mod differentiation is when using parts mods, but there are some exceptions so thanks for checking!  Cool shuttle, it reminds me of a pelican in flight for some reason.  Rvs3vgQ.jpg  et2p8E4.jpg

On 4/8/2017 at 0:07 PM, Fraus said:

I may get to STS 2 soon™, but as of now here is my new shuttle, I have been trying to make one that visually looks highly realistic but this is what I got. I tryed it with my block II variant of this version of the shuttle and could barely circularize, so went to block II using LRBs similar looking to those proposed to be used with the actual shuttle.

So to sum it up, STS Chronus Block II 198.2 km x 198.2 km

Cool, looks stock to me!  Have a badge!  et2p8E4.jpg

On 4/9/2017 at 11:39 AM, W. Kerman said:

I decided to put the Shuttle on top of the rocket! This is my stock entry for shuttle mission 1.a

-W. Kerman

EDIT

I've now done the 1.b challenge!

That is a silly big booster stack haha!  Must be a nightmare to control.  I'll allow a couple of part explosions on re-entry this time round, but for future missions you should try and complete without blowing things up in an ideal world!  sE1QW9Q.jpg  et2p8E4.jpg

On 4/11/2017 at 2:47 AM, BubbleWrap said:

After a couple of attempts, I am forced to accept that I am unable to fly well enough to land an orbiter with an asteroid attached :( Here is STS-9 up to re-entry, I guess I'll just ditch the asteroid in LKO and do something with it later.

Nah, you can do it!  Have another crack, or 40!  Sorry I can't award you a badge for this one yet, but keep trying and soon enough you will have the badge everyone dreams about!

On 4/11/2017 at 2:47 AM, BubbleWrap said:

I did manage to finish Mun STS 1 though, on the third attempt.

Technically I shouldn't award this badge as you haven't completed the Asteroid mission, but I'm actually about to split the Asteroid mission off from the main section into it's own class, so I now can award you the badge!  yfwYRmH.jpg

On 4/12/2017 at 6:58 AM, Ourworldalpha1 said:

Could I use Ksp Interstellar mod for this challenge

If you like.  You will be seated in the mod section badge wise, but that's no bad thing, plenty of modded stuff going on here! :)

On 4/12/2017 at 10:55 PM, 53miner53 said:

For Challenger: I had done 1b with the 1a mission from before, but I missed uploading a picture that showed the final orbit of the fuel pod/that there was a fuel pod in the cargo bay. I forget which.

for Endeavour: I must have pasted the wrong link. I had that one for the Google Picture War. Sorry! Here's the actual link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmX18xVVZUa3Bia3M I'll update the previous post as well,

HAHA that thing is as big as the runway itself!  So basically it looks like I've already awarded you these badges a good few times, but here you go:  sdeeGOl.jpg  8joD5Di.jpg

On 4/13/2017 at 0:28 AM, helcustom said:

Here is my entry for STS-1a pilot rank 1 modded. The design of the shuttle is based of the Von Braun ferry 1952. 

Didn't you already submit this one?  Oh well have another identical badge :)  7RNmgnC.jpg

On 4/13/2017 at 3:03 PM, Agent Awesome said:

I'll join the fun once my computer is fixed

(the hard drive's buggered):)

SSD's are the way to go!

On 4/14/2017 at 2:29 AM, foobar said:

Mun STS-1 completed:

Another verrrry nice mission report.  Well done on completing the Mun mission.  I will have to think of some more for that category!  DqZcJcY.jpg

On 4/14/2017 at 4:55 AM, Spricigo said:

I have a question: how much of the orbiter need to land back to still count?

More to the two points:

Some missions (e. g. STS1-b)  requires to put something in orbit but not to bring it back. Its ok to use fairing instead of cargo bay? 

How about undocking after reaching orbit,  complete the mission and redock before reentry/landing? 

How much of the orbiter needs to land?  The whole thing basically, although using fairings as a cargo bay is perfectly acceptable so technically my own answer is wrong.  Also you can un-dock and re-dock bits of the shuttle no worries at all.

On 4/14/2017 at 6:56 AM, Fdkhio said:

STS-1A. Shuttle name is Willit (don't ask me how).

Mods are SSTU,Tweakscale,Component space shuttle,Procedural Fairings and Procedural parts

http://imgur.com/a/E7YAu

Sorry for the link. Embedding had problems.

Welcome to the challenge!  Looks like you lost a little bit of your shuttle on the landing there, but I'll forgive that for your first mission.  Future missions really require the shuttle to be in once piece on landing :)  7RNmgnC.jpg

Ohmywordimuptodate!!!

Right, couple of things here:

First - Sorry for getting so behind.  Now I'm up to date it should be easier to stay on top of this.  I might also have some time to actually open KSP and play myself.  I haven't done so in about a month!

Second - You are all legends, this challenge is a huige success because of all of you so don't stop now :)

Third - I'm done with the leaderboards and am removing them.  Apologies if you've worked so hard to get your fuel pod to the edge of reason and back, but they are really hard to keep updated as I've shown, especially with all the other judging I need to do.  I hope everyone understands.  The missions will still be there, just not an altitude or weight contest any more.

Fourth - I'm working on some new missions, but may take an opportunity to actually play KSP instead for a bit :)

Thanks everyone!

SM

46 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Oooh, let me see.  How about a weird shuttle award?  OK that doesn't actually exist, 

If that was a badge,  I'd be proud to have it. I also have some other weird design in development but unfortunately,  because not so much KSP time available, it will take a while to finish then. 

1 hour ago, Speeding Mullet said:

That is a silly big booster stack haha!  Must be a nightmare to control.  I'll allow a couple of part explosions on re-entry this time round, but for future missions you should try and complete without blowing things up in an ideal world!  sE1QW9Q.jpg  et2p8E4.jpg

SM

Next objective- Reduce explosiveness!

3 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

This rule is one from the very first iteration of the challenge, that has stuck around because I just never got round to really analyzing it, or checking it for sense making.  Really the motivation for the rule (which I want to keep) is to stop people pressing space bar and having the shuttle fly itself to orbit without any further input, or pressing a button on orbit and having the shuttle land without having any further input.  Really the rule should be:

"All atmospheric flight should be handled manually, with the exception of self scripted autopilot programs.  Mechjeb etc is fine for on orbit procedures".  

I guess what I'm saying is go for it!  I might just amend that rule with the above text if people think it makes sense.

Sweet! Thanks! I'm glad to see logic and reason prevail. I've had to deal with a lot of bearucracy this year, so this is refreshing, lol.

So, turns out ascent without it isn't so bad, but I'm definitely going to need to figure out how to make guidance work to get back to a runway... I splashed in the ocean, though, in (mostly) one piece.

Turns out the simulation of where stuff is shielded from re-entry heating or not isn't very good for protecting RCS jets, and when the part-makers made these RCS jets they were thinking of orbit-only RCS units, not the kind that are on the nose of the space shuttle, so...

3 hours ago, Comet Tail said:

Turns out the simulation of where stuff is shielded from re-entry heating or not isn't very good for protecting RCS jets, and when the part-makers made these RCS jets they were thinking of orbit-only RCS units, not the kind that are on the nose of the space shuttle, so...

Just use the linear ones instead of 4-thruster blocks, they are not that easy to melt without melting the entire cockpit.

As a bonus, you can try replicating the actual RCS configuration of real spaceplanes

0b5d7cdd8a44.png

7 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Really the rule should be:

Let me think... I once made a small SSTO to get to orbit, make couple circles around the planet and land back on the runway... without me touching the controls. Now I'm really tempted to try adopting the landing script for Buran...

10 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

HAHA that thing is as big as the runway itself!  So basically it looks like I've already awarded you these badges a good few times, but here you go:  sdeeGOl.jpg  8joD5Di.jpg

Third - I'm done with the leaderboards and am removing them.  Apologies if you've worked so hard to get your fuel pod to the edge of reason and back, but they are really hard to keep updated as I've shown, especially with all the other judging I need to do.  I hope everyone understands.  The missions will still be there, just not an altitude or weight contest any more.

Lol, during flight testing of Endeavour I would turn to the left a little to avoid hitting the SPH with my wings! The sheer size of it made me get 3 mods: SpaceY to actually get off the pad, hanger extender so I could make the launch stack, and procedural wings, so it wouldn't lag too much. 

I guess I could just abandon the fuel pod that Challenger is lifting to a higher orbit then. :/

6 hours ago, Alchemist said:

Just use the linear ones instead of 4-thruster blocks, they are not that easy to melt without melting the entire cockpit.

As a bonus, you can try replicating the actual RCS configuration of real spaceplanes

0b5d7cdd8a44.png

That's actually kinda what I did - remember, though, I'm using RO so the parts are different. I don't recall actually seeing those, but maybe I just missed them? I used mod parts that are fairly similar.

Guess what? I made it to fly it fully automated

Not much in terms of challenge itself, since I've used this very replica for most of the missions. Just the flight up there, couple times around the planet and back down. Without touching the controls at all.

On 4/16/2017 at 7:31 PM, Alchemist said:

Guess what? I made it to fly it fully automated

Not much in terms of challenge itself, since I've used this very replica for most of the missions. Just the flight up there, couple times around the planet and back down. Without touching the controls at all.

Now that was incredible.  I can't get my head around scripting, but the whole flight start to finish looked so controlled, and the glide slope to a perfect center line landing was pretty incredible to watch!  Of course you don't need this badge as you have it already, but I'm going to force it on you:  sE1QW9Q.jpg  

15 hours ago, Alteroz said:

Rolling out today! Finally I made it.

I wasn't sure if there was something you wanted to judge, as the imgur album is just one cover image.  Also not sure if you read the rule book, but the missions need to be completed in order from STS 1.

SM

Planning for Duna (which has been revised yet again :P ) leads to a question.

As I use a life support mod, Duna STS-1 will launch an interplanetary hab as it's support package. Can Duna STS-2 re-use this hab, or would that count as it's support package?

13 minutes ago, BubbleWrap said:

Planning for Duna (which has been revised yet again :P ) leads to a question.

As I use a life support mod, Duna STS-1 will launch an interplanetary hab as it's support package. Can Duna STS-2 re-use this hab, or would that count as it's support package?

If you launch a support package for Duna STS-1, and use a component of it in the next mission (I'm assuming it will be waiting on orbit for the shuttle's arrival at Duna for STS-2?) then you can launch another support package for STS-2.

Hope that makes sense!

SM

6 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

If you launch a support package for Duna STS-1, and use a component of it in the next mission (I'm assuming it will be waiting on orbit for the shuttle's arrival at Duna for STS-2?) then you can launch another support package for STS-2.

Hope that makes sense!

SM

The hab is needed for the return trip as well, so does the round trip Kerbin - Duna - Kerbin, then the shuttle would detach and land leaving the habin LKO for future missions, so the next flight's support package would be supplies + whatever else I can squeeze into the cargo bay,

15 minutes ago, BubbleWrap said:

The hab is needed for the return trip as well, so does the round trip Kerbin - Duna - Kerbin, then the shuttle would detach and land leaving the habin LKO for future missions, so the next flight's support package would be supplies + whatever else I can squeeze into the cargo bay,

Oh right, thanks for the clarification :)  Answer unchanged though, once launched you can use it for any and all future missions how you see fit, and you are welcome to launch a new support payload for the next STS mission.  Look forward to seeing your designs!

SM

2 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Now that was incredible.  I can't get my head around scripting, but the whole flight start to finish looked so controlled, and the glide slope to a perfect center line landing was pretty incredible to watch!  Of course you don't need this badge as you have it already, but I'm going to force it on you:  sE1QW9Q.jpg  

I wasn't sure if there was something you wanted to judge, as the imgur album is just one cover image.  Also not sure if you read the rule book, but the missions need to be completed in order from STS 1.

SM

Does it really very important to do everything in order from STS 1? Because it's too easy for me. Really, just launch a shuttle, then launch it with a satellite, then with another satellite just in geostationary orbit, then dock 2 shuttles... Really, why I can't just Make Whatever STS I want? Well, if it's really (for some reasons) important, then I will do everything in row.

46 minutes ago, Alteroz said:

Does it really very important to do everything in order from STS 1? Because it's too easy for me. Really, just launch a shuttle, then launch it with a satellite, then with another satellite just in geostationary orbit, then dock 2 shuttles... Really, why I can't just Make Whatever STS I want? Well, if it's really (for some reasons) important, then I will do everything in row.

It's the way it's always been since the very first iteration of the challenge, and I think a core feature that separates it from other challenges and makes it unique and progressive.  Having said that there are a few shortcuts that you can take:

1) STS 1A can be wrapped up into STS 2A as one mission.
2) You do not need to complete STS 1B or STS 2B.
3) STS 3 is really good fun, and a true design challenge now you have to design your own scope as well.
4) I'm pretty comfortable with you not landing the shuttle from STS 3, and using STS 4 to rescue the crew
5) After completing 3 missions you will be able to progress to STS 5 through 8.

I understand your sentiment, and of course you are totally fine to go ahead and do STS 5-8, but I cannot award you a badge if you skip straight to it.

Hope that helps

SM

19 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

It's the way it's always been since the very first iteration of the challenge, and I think a core feature that separates it from other challenges and makes it unique and progressive.  Having said that there are a few shortcuts that you can take:

1) STS 1A can be wrapped up into STS 2A as one mission.
2) You do not need to complete STS 1B or STS 2B.
3) STS 3 is really good fun, and a true design challenge now you have to design your own scope as well.
4) I'm pretty comfortable with you not landing the shuttle from STS 3, and using STS 4 to rescue the crew
5) After completing 3 missions you will be able to progress to STS 5 through 8.

I understand your sentiment, and of course you are totally fine to go ahead and do STS 5-8, but I cannot award you a badge if you skip straight to it.

Hope that helps

SM

Well, ****, but have to admit, you're right. This really makes challenge unique.

8 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Oh right, thanks for the clarification :)  Answer unchanged though, once launched you can use it for any and all future missions how you see fit, and you are welcome to launch a new support payload for the next STS mission.  Look forward to seeing your designs!

SM

Subject to a few test flights (I plan to do a full two-launch assembly test and probably do a Minmus flyby), this is the current Duna Tranfer Stage design:

vP1rDQ0.jpg

5 hours ago, BubbleWrap said:

Subject to a few test flights (I plan to do a full two-launch assembly test and probably do a Minmus flyby), this is the current Duna Tranfer Stage design

That is beautiful!  the graphic is really cool too.  Which program did you use to produce it.  It looks a little like Kronal but more advanced.

SM

1 minute ago, Speeding Mullet said:

That is beautiful!  the graphic is really cool too.  Which program did you use to produce it.  It looks a little like Kronal but more advanced.

SM

I took three pictures in Kronal (launch stack with and without fairing, plus the mockup in the spaceplane hangar), then tinkered with them in Paint Dot Net for the final image. :)

Today my Kerbals deployed their new deep space telescope.

The first image was so magnificent, Corski Kerman totally forgot to cut the throttle during a Mun return burn. He stranded the Kerbal training mission STS 4   , on a suborbital mun return trajectory.

The 7 Kerbals on STS 4 had much luck because Bob managed to strap the Space truck on a experimental first stage for a new cargo rocket. Thanks to Bob and Jeb, all the Kerbals survived the training mission.

On 4/19/2017 at 10:54 PM, jonny said:

Today my Kerbals deployed their new deep space telescope.

Verrrry nice!  Jeremiah Kerman Space Telescope!  Badge worthy indeed.  I'm so glad I opened up that part of the challenge to design your own rather than use a single payload.  Haven't seen a return to the island runway for a while!  neSFTQk.jpg

On 4/19/2017 at 10:54 PM, jonny said:

The first image was so magnificent, Corski Kerman totally forgot to cut the throttle during a Mun return burn. He stranded the Kerbal training mission STS 4   , on a suborbital mun return trajectory.

The 7 Kerbals on STS 4 had much luck because Bob managed to strap the Space truck on a experimental first stage for a new cargo rocket. Thanks to Bob and Jeb, all the Kerbals survived the training mission.

Haha good back story!  Lovely to see another successful rescue mission completed.  Here's your badge!

I'm currently trying to devote some time to a special mission I've got going.  It's a challenge to Elkano Moho and do the Moho challenge, but I am going large.  Like really large.  Not that last time with 608 parts and 4,500t was small :confused: Check out the thread here for all that are interested:

SM

Well, I was considering making a new shuttle system. With Buran's capabilities being a bit limited (hey, it started as just a replica, I was a bit surprised when it actually flew) and HRO being a total overkill heavy payload oriented (and what would you expect from something with STS-2b as its design specifications - with sustained flight on jets and a gentle airliner-style landing at that! - and STS-9 as the original goal?) I tried to make the orbiter to be something inbetween.

Quickly assembled the orbiter (decided to start with crew shuttle version), made sure it can fly, and before developing the launch system, strapped it on Energia for some orbital and reentry tests. It barely took off, was terribly wobbling in all the directions and got slightly over 100 km apoapsis with some 300-400 m/s circularization burn still needed. Pretty much the same as flying STS-1b with Buran - this is the payload capacity limit of my Energia.

OK, time to check capabilities of the orbiter. Get to orbit and then return to Kerbin? well... what about this orbit?
defff733d2c8.png

And then back to Kerbin... Oh look, it's our continent! Maximize the deceleration!
f9c75cc5d438.png

Still braking... and look at all that fuel in tanks. Who promised not to make an overkill?
f32c3fdcc2b2.png

Now gliding
0ea48c1003c5.png

Aim for the runway!
78b8229bfe01.png

Oops, still to fast, should have put a drogue chute. Or made a wider circle
05125bd38a78.png

Yeah, rolled off the end of the runway. Had to use jets to drive back to the hangar.

Conclusion - might need to make it smaller for what it was intended to. Or at least not to take this much fuel

Edited by Alchemist