Shuttle Challenge v4 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] [THREAD CLOSED 06.08.17]

On 4/16/2017 at 5:31 AM, Alchemist said:

Guess what? I made it to fly it fully automated

Not much in terms of challenge itself, since I've used this very replica for most of the missions. Just the flight up there, couple times around the planet and back down. Without touching the controls at all.

Wow. As a coder of KOS myself I find this very impressive, any chance you could post your script?

Very good!

Atlantis STS-1a and b complete!

pics: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmLTZZd011aEMzU0k

Yes, the cloud of debris in the background of this picture was part of my wings. I'm going to try to fix that before it's next flight. Also, I landed right next to the runway... fail.

I may be using STS-1a and b as a testing ground for new shuttles. :P

Edited by 53miner53

I've been inspired to re-start a stock career game, remove all part mods and performance modifications just to participate in this challenge.

My entry for STS-1 a/b:

4Mic6y3.png

Album:

I hope to continue the remaining progression challenges.

On 4/24/2017 at 7:14 AM, Numerlor said:

Today I decided to backup my craft files only to realise I accidentally deleted my shuttle

Urgggggg  :mad:

On 4/26/2017 at 0:04 PM, 53miner53 said:

Atlantis STS-1a and b complete!

pics: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmLTZZd011aEMzU0k

Yes, the cloud of debris in the background of this picture was part of my wings. I'm going to try to fix that before it's next flight. Also, I landed right next to the runway... fail.

I may be using STS-1a and b as a testing ground for new shuttles. :P

I can't count how many times I have awarded you STS 1a and b now.  I think I'll stop if you don't mind.  Kudos though lol

16 hours ago, MatterBeam said:

I've been inspired to re-start a stock career game, remove all part mods and performance modifications just to participate in this challenge.

My entry for STS-1 a/b:

Hey welcome to the challenge!  Nice shuttle.  At first I thought it was crew-less and was preparing a big spiel about the rules, but then I opened my eyes and got over myself.  It's a nice sleek design, so well done!  Here's a couple of badges to get you started:  sE1QW9Q.jpg et2p8E4.jpg

SPECIAL NOTICE:  CHECK INTO THE WEEKLY CHALLENGE SECTION OF THE FORUM - ITS ABOUT DESIGNING AND BUILDING SHUTTLES WITH A TOTALLY FREE REIGN.  GO NUTS:

SM

Did another thing! Modified my previous design with an extended cargo bay and change in OMS, to put a space station to ~350km orbit, with required parts (1 launch. I guess that counts?). Works well, still scraping the Delta-V barrel on landing (I had none.) Also - wings are repairable, right?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1-uDOLSBWj7aHo5Q1RpWXA1aW8

Most of it is kinda boring. Not exactly an editing person.

Edit: Oh, wait I forgot the mod list....

KER, PreciseManeuver, CorrectCoL, Editor Extensions, RCS BuildAid, PlanetShine, EasyVessel Switch, Reentry Particle Effect, Trajectories. No parts mods. Pilot assistant was not used, IIRC.

Edit No2 - This is entry is probably invalid, as it used onyl one launch instead of the 4 assumed by the challenge. Also done out of order.

If you'd still like to see the very long video - new link (that may work):https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1-uDOLSBWj7NWsyOThIZjFyR28

Edited by qzgy

Just getting back after a hiatus, thought I'd check and see if I could do this totally stock, without even my beloved KER.

Jeb has never been so happy!

Mission Report - STS-1a Commander:

First test flight didn't go so well...but that's why we use drone cores. (Shame about the brand new hangar...Gene was so angry he turned dark green.)

After a number of test flights of the new Banshee Mk I Shuttle (there have been dozens of Banshee-class craft, mostly SSTOs, but this is the first in this fresh save) I threw together a lifter.

Made orbit on first attempt, clean separation and orbit. Jeb got a little excited on re-entry, overshot a wee bit, then burned up too much fuel showing off the Banshee's high-G turns, so we had to land at the contingency site on the Island.

Spoiler

005C44251E14CA8B0EBC22B154F3130A16C93C39

C5B3081124A8C1AB869D5A64419C129BDB4DB940

692DEF128A948AC3D4F394A8BC661881DEE4A7F9

DE6DC2519D3897C7E921FD440F9A2CE252E7D0C2

66818E9ED4655F08D040F33F0217EF4612E33CC4

19CD4E38484EC5BA2C7D3289DAAD2C8F1032E0C1

80BBFF14E4886C075C95B93777D251676581C172

0CC42C80EA3B3B23282EC22B16A81EA3D2BB542C

73FF7D9C5925D6DCA2226B7E281E81A6D42E5AF6

13D669F398F07A54DAC3B288E55E9EEB7D5255FE

Now that she's a proven vessel, maybe I'll get a chance to swap out that crew module for a cargo bay and go for some higher ranked awards. Used to building SSTOs, these STSs have the joy of being fully fueled on orbit...should have built some sooner!

-Jn-

Edited by JoeNapalm

So I humbly submit the Wyvern mk3. 

Done in 10 times scale (atmosphere is 100,000m), so 9,300m/s deltaV is needed to make orbit. Therefore the tanks and booster and number of engines are all big (27 engines)

CQuewVL.jpg

Payload is a version of the fuel pod (that weighs more, haven't unlocked the relevant parts in career mode yet)

g2cLoaw.jpgTSoRkew.jpg

Overshot KSP a little bit, gonna have to terra form the planet a bit though

RC9xYjM.jpg

Reason been the I may have made the mountains too high to get any closer

r4AnFkW.jpg(Image taken at 75,000m, height above terrain is only about 7,00m at closest point!!!)

Mod list

Spoiler

WB4RLzP.png 

Edited by Kertech

For the Jool/Laythe mission:

Is it allowed to use the deployed mining equipment for refueling or not?

Edit:

What exactly defines a support package? E.g. fuel delivery?

I have serious doubts that I will be able to complete this without refueling in Laythe orbit for the return trip...

My launch system is a main booster and 2 side booster - just like the real thing. The main booster has about 1000 m/s more than required for orbit. Is that within the bounds of the challenge? I mean technically I can get a launch it to a suborbital trajectory that is on the edge of kerbin SOI... ;-)

Edited by Fulgora
Added some more questions

Cross posting with the Squad Challenge.  The NukaShuttle... er Seraphim (Val's still furious about the failure to rename the ship).

Mods Installed: Too many to list. HyperEdit and Atmospheric Autopilot in particular not used.

Mods Used: All stock parts.  Kerbal Alarm Clock, Trajectories, Precise Node, KER

Edit: Since I'm going to focus on these challenges for a while, I removed TAC-LS and reran the mission.

Edited by overkill13

Just STS-1a for me for now...  I'm sure I'll be back later for some more!

...it's a 100% stock shuttle.  No particularly special mods to speak of.

Edited by XLjedi

Hi everyone haven't forgotten about you!  Will have to play catch up once the weekly challenge has passed, so will be checking in probably closer to the weekend to catch up with some judging!  Keep them coming in the mean time!

20 hours ago, Fulgora said:

Is it allowed to use the deployed mining equipment for refueling or not?

Edit:

What exactly defines a support package? E.g. fuel delivery?

I have serious doubts that I will be able to complete this without refueling in Laythe orbit for the return trip...

Totally fine to use the mining equipment to refuel your shuttle.

Support package is just a single separate launch that doesn't even have to be a shuttle.  You could just throw 20 orange tanks at laythe in one launch if you wanted to!

Please bear in mind that the missions are supposed to be done in order from the first one onwards.  The offer to do a single mission without following the order is only valid until Wednesday as part of the Weekly Challenge!

SM

On 21.4.2017 at 9:47 AM, Speeding Mullet said:

Haha good back story!  Lovely to see another successful rescue mission completed.  Here's your badge!

I wonder which badge you mean. I just realized my entry was not valid because the doomed shuttle was suborbital.

On 8.2.2017 at 9:23 AM, Speeding Mullet said:

Badges Available

STS Pilot - Rank 4

YaW2NZ8.jpgelepBXe.jpg

Launch your first space shuttle into a 200+km orbit with a minimum of 4 crew, then send up your second shuttle to rendezvous with it and rescue its crew before coming in to land anywhere you wish.

STS Commander - Rank 4

yCCnUU7.jpg rohCksW.jpg

Launch your first space shuttle into an 350+km orbit with 6 crew at an inclination of 25-30 degrees, then send your second shuttle to rendezvous with it and rescue its crew. Land at either at the KSC, the Island Airfield just off of KSC, or at any Kerbal Konstructs airport.

I think a Sub Orbital rendezvous is challenging enough and could be a alternative for the inclination of 25-30 degrees for the Commander Rank

Question: Is it allowed to carry payloads outside of the orbiter body? Or do they all have to be in cargo bays or similar that are part of the orbiter and land with it afterwards?

6 hours ago, cantab said:

Question: Is it allowed to carry payloads outside of the orbiter body? Or do they all have to be in cargo bays or similar that are part of the orbiter and land with it afterwards?

my question is similar @Speeding Mullet

can our craft have a payload outside of the craft AND not directly attached to the Shuttle, I know it's not much of a shuttle then but it would still comply with the rules.. technically

STS-2b (cause we have to do them in order.) If my previous STS mission (the station) is not okay,I hope this one is.

Lots of pics....

12 hours ago, cantab said:

Part of the challenge is in designing payloads that fit in the shuttle's cargo bay, as it places pretty restrictive limitations, and forces you to be creative.  Having said that there's been precedent set in this version and past versions of the challenge where people have made their cargo bay "fairing style".  with that in mind I'm happy for you to create a shuttle that integrates fairings into it's over all cargo capacity design, but I'd be against a shuttle with a massive bulbous 1000 part payload stuck onto the nose, as it's not really in the spirit of the challenge (apart from missions which allow "support launches", in which case you can sling up a huge ball of fairings to dock with the shuttle if you like).

Hopefully that answers your questions.  Basically yes you can as long as it looks like it's part of the shuttle, and not the shuttle part of the payload!  I like creativity and am willing for people to push the boundaries :)

@biomecaman - Hopefully that also answers your question.  If you want further clarity please post a screenshot of roughly what you are proposing and I will yes or no it.

Everyone else - Will get round to judging entries this weekend :)

SM

Oh, @Speeding Mullet, for STS 3, are we supposed to make our own telescope or use a pre-made one? Also for STS 5-8, do the modules have to come up in separate flights, or can it be a single launch to orbit, assembly in orbit? Thanks!