Shuttle Challenge v4 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] [THREAD CLOSED 06.08.17]

17 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

I'm glad I finally got that done.  It took *way* too many hours.  But hey, I understand gravity assists a lot better now!

I've been trying to figure out how to get my mining base out of a "bomb bay".  Now I have some ideas.  Nice mission.

13 minutes ago, overkill13 said:

I've been trying to figure out how to get my mining base out of a "bomb bay".  Now I have some ideas.  Nice mission.

Thanks!  I actually designed my original shuttle around the Laythe mission from the get-go, which is why it has always been upside-down.  I seem to remember seeing an example (not in this thread) where someone used a cargo ramp for a similar mission to Laythe. Of course, if you do that, then you lose a bunch of nodes where you could attach engines, and driving a rover out of a ramp is always a bit tricky, which is why I opted for a bomb bay approach.

Making the miner portable actually turned out to be really tricky.  Fitting a 2.5m rover with wheels into a Mk3 bay is tricky in the base case, and making it short enough to fit in a reasonably-sized bay, while still including the full size refinery and large drill, was quite a challenge.

Edited by zolotiyeruki

Hey all, just found this thread and it's perfect since I've been really wanting to try my hand at STS missions.

Is this thread pretty well moderated as far as getting the badges? How are people recognized and "approved" for the badges, via DM or something?

Looking forward to getting my first rank soon!

39 minutes ago, scottadges said:

Hey all, just found this thread and it's perfect since I've been really wanting to try my hand at STS missions.

Is this thread pretty well moderated as far as getting the badges? How are people recognized and "approved" for the badges, via DM or something?

Yeah, SpeedingMullet checks quite often. For being recognized, he posts in here and you are quoted. Its an honor system then for the badges

Edited by qzgy

I decided to try my hand at a Buran/Energia design.  This one only qualifies for STS-1 but the mission should prove entertaining as a recovery of my stranded shuttle is performed in orbit.  Plus Speeding Mullet loves seeing two shuttles in orbit together so it aught to scratch that itch for him.  Enjoy.

Mods used:

KAC, KER, DPAI, Trajectories, Precise Node

Engine retrofit performed using KIS/KAS

Shuttle and Payload: All Stock, Engine mount Tweakscaled (0.050m increase) to remove overlapping part visual glitches.

Edited by overkill13
Added mods

I've been out of here for a while now, I think I'll try to do the STS-4 in Stock Size RSS tomorrow. Unfortunately, Cormorant Aeronology isn't compatible with Real Fuels, so I have to find a way to fit the fuel somewhere.

Edited by telomce

Not to be witty or exploiting a loophole or going against the spirit of traditional shuttles - but to do this a bit differently. Would a TCL* shuttle be ok? It technically has all the requirements...

Also sorry for not reading through all the million pages, if this is answered.

*)trash can lid

Edited by Sivonen

The Kerbin Space Station is now accepting applications for victims adventurous individuals who want to view their home planet from a different perspective.

STS-5 through STS-8 finally completed.  Only one picture this time, but almost 5 hours of videos, so get the tea on, and hit the loo first.

Playlist of all 5 videos. (STS-6 was split into 2 videos because computer crashed part way through)

Glamour shot of the finished station:

The solar panels are 90 degrees offset because I screwed up the docking on the second arm and did not feel like correcting it, plus I kind of like how it ended up, and allows the station to charge from any orientation. 

The station includes a science lab, small science bay with experiments, hab space for 20 kerbals (plus two can sit in the MMUs if they want to enjoy the view for awhile), enough batteries in the power arms to make it all the way through the dark side of the planet without running out of power even with lab and reaction wheels pulling full power, arms also contain Xenon for refueling docked long range ships, monoprop, Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer for refueling all ships (planning ahead for the later missions, and I always make my station refuel depots).

Edited by armegeddon

STS-4/4R in Stock Size RSS.

STS-4's mission is to launch the Earth Station One root module. However, the ullage motors don't fire, and we need to send a rescue mission.

It also did STS-5 (set up a station module), does this count?

Mods used:

Kerbal Engineer Redux for readouts.

Ven's Stock Part Revamp for the new parts and cool looks for old ones.

CXAerospace for docking ports and the payload.

Real Fuels for real fuels.

Procedural Parts for the fuel tank.

Stock Size RSS for the real solar system in Kerbal scale.

RealPlume, Engine Lighting, Collision FX for visual effects.

ED: Forgot about Cormorant Aeronology for the orbiter.

Edited by telomce

Is this acceptable for STS-1a?

The re-entry was a bit long, so I had to turn around, land, and drive a bit on land to get to KSC.

Job done with 0 fuel left.

No mods used.

ps. I will continue the challenge with more sensible designs. :wink:

For your consideration: STS Challenge - Pilot Rank 1 (Modded)

3zVKRjc.jpg

Overall, very happy with this craft. It was heavily influenced by YouTuber Kerbal Space Command, but I made general modifications including additional monopropellant tanks, additional oxidizer tanks, and different configurations for the interior cargo bay. So I consider it to be a proprietary craft. That is to say, I didn't download this from anywhere either.

Completion Date: 6/14/2017

KSP version: 1.3

A couple problems with this mission:

- The launch went pretty off-target, resulting in a skewed polar obit and therefore making it near impossible to land at KSC (we'll try again next time)

- On touchdown, my angle of attack was all wrong and in trying to not annihilate the craft... the nose cone blew off. Not sure if that's disqualifying?

Full List of Mods:

Spoiler

[x] Science! (xScience v5.7)
Additional Progression Contracts (AdditionalProgressionContracts 1.1.1)
AutoAsparagus (AutoAsparagus v.2.2.6)
CapCom - Mission Control On The Go (CapCom 2.6)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.7.1.0)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.23.1)
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations (ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation 1:3.6.1)
Contract Pack: Clever Sats (ContractConfigurator-CleverSats 1.4)
Contract Pack: Field Research (ContractConfigurator-FieldResearch 1.2.1)
Contract Pack: Kerbal Academy (ContractConfigurator-KerbalAcademy 1.1.7)
Contract Parser (ContractParser 6.0)
Contracts Window + (ContractsWindowPlus 8.0)
Crowd Sourced Science (CrowdSourcedScience v4.1)
DMagic Orbital Science (DMagicOrbitalScience 1.3.10)
Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 1.3.0)
Editor Extensions Redux (EditorExtensionsRedux 3.3.13.1)
Hangar Extender (HangarExtender 1:v3.4.9)
HyperEdit (HyperEdit 1.5.4.0)
Interstellar Fuel Switch (InterstellarFuelSwitch 2.6.3)
Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 2.6.3)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.8.5.0)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.3.0)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.6.1.0)
MechJeb and Engineer for all! (MechJebForAll 1.2.0.0)
Mk2 Stockalike Expansion (Mk2Expansion 2:1.7.5)
Mk3 Stockalike Expansion (Mk3Expansion 1.3.5)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 2.8.0)
Portrait Stats (PortraitStats 14.0)
Progress Parser (ProgressParser 7.0)
scatterer (Scatterer 2:v0.0300)
scatterer - default config (Scatterer-config 2:v0.0300)
scatterer - sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 2:v0.0300)
Solar Science (SolarScience v1.06)
Station Science Continued (StationScienceContinued v2.3.0)
TAC Fuel Balancer (TacFuelBalancer v2.13)
Transfer Window Planner (TransferWindowPlanner v1.6.2.0)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.3.6)

Edited by scottadges

17 hours ago, Sivonen said:

The re-entry was a bit long, so I had to turn around, land, and drive a bit on land to get to KSC.

No mods used.

ps. I will continue the challenge with more sensible designs. :wink:

I believe not, as you have created a very nice SSTO. That is not in line with one of the main points of this challenge.

Oh shoot, for some reason I was thinking of "single stage to orbit and back" is prohibited. I stand corrected. But the actual ... ahem... "shuttle" part was ok to use, right? It has pilot, rcs, engine, wings, capable of horizontal landing, etc.

Well, I was just fooling around, I'm currently making a more shuttle-like shuttle that can actually do some of the latter missions also.

It was fun though. :P

Maybe I'll do the first mission with the foolish design though, as an extra content. With multi stage lifter... Maybe this time with jet engines only.... O_õ

3 hours ago, Sivonen said:

Oh shoot, for some reason I was thinking of "single stage to orbit and back" is prohibited. I stand corrected. But the actual ... ahem... "shuttle" part was ok to use, right? It has pilot, rcs, engine, wings, capable of horizontal landing, etc.

Your design is fine.  My first NukaShuttle iteration was a massive "Dreamchaser" setup that got all the way to orbit where the shuttle decoupled and completed a mission and the launch vehicle was recovered on Kerbin near KSC.  As you suspected only full SSTO's that do not decouple a launch vehicle/booster of some sort are prohibited.

WOOOT IT"S THE FREAKIN' WEEKEND!  No tea as I've destroyed it already, but let me review some of these bad boys so I can play 6 infuriating hours of Day Z tomorrow and wonder what the hell I am doing before switching to Farming Simulator 2017, and literally turning into a potato at my keyboard.

On 6/6/2017 at 10:31 PM, battlekruiser said:

STS 5-8: Meet the Wimshurst!

Very nicely done indeed my friend!  Great mission report and a really nicely produced station,, with some added secret tech by the looks of it!  gDmEbjw.jpg

On 6/6/2017 at 11:27 PM, battlekruiser said:

Aaaand part 9: Wimshurst goes beyond the common sense. The same stock modpack as usual.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's Kerbin. That's us. On it every rocket you love, every Kerbal you know, every rocket company you ever heard of, every Kerbal who ever was, crashed out their Mk1 pod. The aggregate of our boosters and vectors, thousands of confident Jebs, Val's, and play doctrines, every Engineer and Scientist, every periapsis and apoapsis, every creator and destroyer of the VAB, every decoupler and separator, every young Val in love, every sepatron and kickback, hopeful Patcan, inventor and explorer, every teacher of rocketry, every corrupt save file, every "docking port," every "Ballistic Trajectory," every anomaly and re-entry in the history of our version lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

Excellent mission report as usual and a job thoroughly well done.  Welcome to interplanetary!  pwHJNsR.jpg

On 6/7/2017 at 0:53 AM, overkill13 said:

Quite a bit easier, but more importantly infinitely less hair pulling.  Here's some better lit pics in the hangar.

Nice thanks very much for providing the detail!  I've built some stuff in that sort of style before using mods, I just wanted to see what sort of things were possible in stock.  Particularly like the lander can as entrance part!

On 6/9/2017 at 9:25 AM, Cadet_BNSF said:

Testing out design for STS-2+. I present to you the Shuttle Matanuska. This is a heavy lifting shuttle that currently needs more boosters, as it cannot reach space, or 10,000 m, or 350m/s. But you know, details, right?

That is quite the beast!  @overkill13 is correct, you've got some brick parts in there aerodynamically!  Look forward to seeing refined designs!

On 6/10/2017 at 9:51 AM, zolotiyeruki said:

Finally, I have completed JOOL-STS-1, and in style, too!  There was extra space in my cargo bays, so in addition to the plane and the mining base, I also included a satellite network and two surface scanning satellites.  And I put the mining base on wheels, so it can move itself to the most ideal location.  And I landed back at the KSC.  After visiting Minmus and planting a flag on my way in.  Landed with a whopping 64 LF left in the tanks.

Oh cool a Laythe mission.  Been a while since the green badge was awarded.  Let me take a look!

WOW!  Totally love the way you made way for that Cargo on Laythe.  I think that's the first time I've seen it done that way and it appears to be a really good option!  You totally deserve the badge with this one, and thanks for visiting Minmus on your way home.  That reminds me - a Minmus mission.  Hmmmmm.  Well done!  U3K2llp.jpg

SM

On 6/11/2017 at 1:08 AM, 53miner53 said:

Endeavour STS-2a complete!

Lol you know where to get the badge from.  Why don't you do some of the later missions?

On 6/11/2017 at 11:31 AM, scottadges said:

Welcome to the challenge thread for Shuttles!  Can't wait to see what you come up with.  As others have mentioned I check in here and award the relevant badge with varying levels of frequency and wit.

On 6/12/2017 at 10:18 PM, overkill13 said:

I decided to try my hand at a Buran/Energia design.  This one only qualifies for STS-1 but the mission should prove entertaining as a recovery of my stranded shuttle is performed in orbit.  Plus Speeding Mullet loves seeing two shuttles in orbit together so it aught to scratch that itch for him.  Enjoy.

ITCH SCRATCHED!  You know where the badges are legend :)  Nice Buran!

On 6/13/2017 at 6:50 AM, Cadet_BNSF said:

The Shuttle Matanuska has completed its maiden voyage into space, delivering MulletDyne's 40t fuel pod into orbit. This should count for STS-1b

Oof that's a lot of boosters!!!  Rvs3vgQ.jpg  et2p8E4.jpg

On 6/14/2017 at 3:10 AM, telomce said:

I've been out of here for a while now, I think I'll try to do the STS-4 in Stock Size RSS tomorrow. Unfortunately, Cormorant Aeronology isn't compatible with Real Fuels, so I have to find a way to fit the fuel somewhere.

Uh oh, another RSS whiz-kid.  Welcome back :)  Go get me a rescue crew!

On 6/14/2017 at 5:12 AM, Sivonen said:

Not to be witty or exploiting a loophole or going against the spirit of traditional shuttles - but to do this a bit differently. Would a TCL* shuttle be ok? It technically has all the requirements...

Also sorry for not reading through all the million pages, if this is answered.

HA!  Well it certainly qualifies for STS-1 if you can get it to orbit and back!

On 6/14/2017 at 3:50 PM, armegeddon said:

The Kerbin Space Station is now accepting applications for victims adventurous individuals who want to view their home planet from a different perspective.

STS-5 through STS-8 finally completed.  Only one picture this time, but almost 5 hours of videos, so get the tea on, and hit the loo first.

Playlist of all 5 videos. (STS-6 was split into 2 videos because computer crashed part way through)

No amount of tea will get me through 5 hours of watching someone else play KSP, so this one is definitely on the honor system.  Commander right? :wink:  gDmEbjw.jpg

On 6/14/2017 at 7:13 PM, telomce said:

STS-4/4R in Stock Size RSS.

STS-4's mission is to launch the Earth Station One root module. However, the ullage motors don't fire, and we need to send a rescue mission.

It also did STS-5 (set up a station module), does this count?

Holy Kraken!!!  We are not worthy.  Have a badge for sure, and I'll allow the STS5 mission :)  rohCksW.jpg

On 6/14/2017 at 11:05 PM, Sivonen said:

No mods used.

Yeah this is totally acceptable!  The rocket itself might be an SSTO, but the main tank separates leaving a shuttle (even if it's just a trashcan with a couple of aero bits) that can operate under it's own power.  Well done on this tiny little thing!  sE1QW9Q.jpg

On 6/15/2017 at 11:46 AM, scottadges said:

For your consideration: STS Challenge - Pilot Rank 1 (Modded)

Welcome to the challenge!  Very nice initial offering in this shuttle.  I'm sure some small improvements will have you rocketing through the challenges soon!  7RNmgnC.jpg

On 6/15/2017 at 4:50 PM, qzgy said:

I believe not, as you have created a very nice SSTO. That is not in line with one of the main points of this challenge.

As previously mentioned, this one is fine as it's not an SSTO.  Well the rocket get's it to orbit in one go obviously, but the Shuttle does and can operate under it's own power :)

17 hours ago, Sivonen said:

Another try with a different - 2 stage - lifter.

As previously mentioned (again :) ) your first design was totally acceptable.  Still, have another badge :wink:  sE1QW9Q.jpg

Good to be caught up again!

SM

1 hour ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Lol you know where to get the badge from.  Why don't you do some of the later missions?

1. Columbia LR is grabbing an asteroid to land, but I don't like timewarping through a month without running other missions.

2. I'm trying to go through the missions with my modded shuttles.

3. I have fun with designing shuttles. I'm almost out of ideas ATM, so expect one more shuttle before STS-9, and a few more missions. 

Also, quick question: can I use multiple shuttle designs for STS-5-8? 

I'm a bad pilot, so I brought two fuel pods up at once, if I mess up the first one somehow.

This was a failure, but I hope it's worth showing anyways.

I "borrowed" some fuel from the tanks, since it wasn't prohibited. (I was planning to combine the fuels of the pods, to have one full, one empty in orbit)

Also there was some solar panels flying everywhere at the unloading of the fuel pods.

Orbit was good.

Landing was way off target.

Now off to redo this with a simpler design. With full fuel tanks of course.