Shuttle Challenge v4 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] [THREAD CLOSED 06.08.17]

Welp back at it again for one of my off an on visits to the forums, STS 2 attempt done with my block II of my STS and block III of my STS launching my Kerbler Space Telescope into orbit for a STS 3 attempt.

Edited by Fraus

STS-1b successfully completed!

Took the MulletDyne fuel tank up to a 331km circular orbit.  Had a slight problem on reentry due to forgetting to turn on my auxiliary RCS system, which provides roll and extra pitch control. The crew recovered however and landed safely!

Edit: might end up reuploading the video. Not exactly sure what the heck happened to the audio in the end. Completely out of sync

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

18 hours ago, Fraus said:

Welp back at it again for one of my off an on visits to the forums, STS 2 attempt done with my block II of my STS and block III of my STS launching my Kerbler Space Telescope into orbit for a STS 3 attempt.

Nice work! Just to clear things - are the CommSats from your mission spin-stabilised? I can't see that in your album. And is your shuttle stock, or do you use any part mods? I cant tell whether the ET is modded, or just nicely assembled by creative use of stock parts. I the answers are yes, I gladly award you those badges:

WUvoQpP.jpgneSFTQk.jpg

Good job commander :)

15 hours ago, Trekkie148 said:

It does work! 

Good job! Now stuff the payload bay with useful stuff and do the missions :) Looking forward to your entries!

15 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Took the MulletDyne fuel tank up to a 331km circular orbit.  Had a slight problem on reentry due to forgetting to turn on my auxiliary RCS system, which provides roll and extra pitch control. The crew recovered however and landed safely!

Nice mission! I can't really tell how impressive it is to make a KOS script to fly your shuttle for you, but I'm going to go with very impressive, because I consider KOS or generally programming/scripting something like witchcraft :) Great job and congratulations on your new badge:

et2p8E4.jpg

14 hours ago, Cadet_BNSF said:

After volunteering at a camp for a couple of weeks, and various other challenges, I have finally finished STS-2a

Quite an unusual sight in this challenge, a shuttle with a horizontal take-off! Just curious - is the "booster" recoverable as well? And, could you please provide a screenshot of your CommSats? I did not find it anywhere in your album.

Nevertheless, a nice mission, so I can award you the appropriate badge:

EynVoXa.jpg

Congratulations!

Michal.don

1 hour ago, michal.don said:

<snip>

Nice mission! I can't really tell how impressive it is to make a KOS script to fly your shuttle for you, but I'm going to go with very impressive, because I consider KOS or generally programming/scripting something like witchcraft :) Great job and congratulations on your new badge:

<snip>

Thanks! Funnily enough on this launch the script actually ran less of the flight than last time. I had the circularization burn part removed as I'm working on improvements, so that was done manually. Also during reentry I didn't use a script, but rather just gave a few commands, such as "set steering to heading(90,30)" which holds my pitch at 30 degrees above the horizon, because I was too lazy to babysit it. I plan to try to add a reentry script at some point... gonna be really hard though.

3 hours ago, michal.don said:

Quite an unusual sight in this challenge, a shuttle with a horizontal take-off! Just curious - is the "booster" recoverable as well? And, could you please provide a screenshot of your CommSats? I did not find it anywhere in your album.

I have been working on making the booster recoverable as well, but no luck so far

9uPbDD6.png

Here is the relay. Both of them are the same and completely stock, as is the shuttle as a whole.

18 hours ago, Cadet_BNSF said:

Here is the relay. Both of them are the same and completely stock, as is the shuttle as a whole.

Thanks for the screenshot, everythings looks just fine, so good job again, and good luck in further missions :)

20 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I plan to try to add a reentry script at some point... gonna be really hard though.

To be honest, I've been thinking about learning KOS for a while now, I guess it could be very useful for my RO/RSS career. But still did not find the time to do this. If you manage to write a script for the reentry part, come around to show as and brag a bit :)

Reentry with kOS? Well, just keeping the proper AoA during the reentry part is easy to script. Reliably getting navigation so it brings you to KSC - that is completely another story (I so far made couple ships to fly home from LKO - here's the video with Buran -  but that was circular equatorial orbit of a particular altitude and just hardcoded deorbit at a particular longitude. No fancy navigation for that yet).

And then there is the part of gliding down to the runway... something for which I haven't got that much robustness either.

Of course it has to be all about several ship-specific parameters, but all what I have so far is way too much hardcoding for way too specific approach. Need to investigate better ways to make it work

Yeah, one of those things on the to-do list... to which I'm not sure I'll ever really get. My ambitions in this regard often tend to wildly exceed the productive amount of free time I get

STS 4/4R go here, and for future reference for looking over it, assume my crafts are pure stock unless I specifically state otherwise or go in for a modded run of the challenge, stock is life baby.

Oh and I don't think Chronus' on orbit retirement will last long :wink:

Edited by Fraus

On 28. 7. 2017 at 10:49 PM, Fraus said:

STS 4/4R go here

NIce work, I really like the "slight" malfunction of losing a wing that caused the rescue mission :) Thanks for clearing the mod issue for me, in this case I can award you with the well deserved commander badge:

yCCnUU7.jpg

Good luck in building the space station, that was one of my favourite shuttle missions

On 29. 7. 2017 at 1:51 PM, oAsAo said:

Mods:only Kerbal engineer

It's always nice to see a new shuttle coming to this challenge, welcome :)

An interesting design, although probably a bit more RCS than strictly needed. Though it might come in handy in the later missions where rendezvous/docking is neccessary. Congratulations on getting your first payload to orbit, here are your badges:

sE1QW9Q.jpget2p8E4.jpg

Michal.don

So I was working on STS-3, after finally getting a working MMU, and I loaded up the shuttle with the telescope

GcPRwpZ.jpg

Everything was fine and dandy, and then this happened

R7hhqm1.png

It was quite impressive, really. It managed to throw the telescope itself a couple hundred meters.

baHczf1.png

TvHrT0z.png

I also found part of an MMU sinking offshore.

GKWdMTp.png

So yeah, everything went just as kerbally as it could

MAJOR THREAD ANNOUNCEMENT

Hello fellow Shuttle builders!  I've been running the Shuttle Challenge for a year almost to the day.  I've spanned multiple versions and revisions, 1132 posts, 46 pages, and seen some of the most brilliant engineering and flying I've ever witnessed on KSP.  The community in this thread, the volume of knowledge leaned and imparted, and the quality of banter and discussion have been a marvel, and you are all a credit to the wider KSP community.

It's been an absolute pleasure from start to finish, but finish it must.  I've increasingly found that I do not have the time to properly admin this thread, as well as providing you all with new and exciting missions to do.

The best thing to do from here is to let someone else pick up the mantle, and that person is @michal.don.  @michal.don has done an amazing job of helping out over the past few weeks, has completed all the missions, and is never short of good advice and new ideas so I know that he will do a brilliant job of moving this Heritage Challenge forward.  I'm sure you will all wish him the best as he refreshes and reposts this challenge.

This thread will stay open for roughly 24 hours so I can accept all the glory, well wishes and likes, and then I will request a moderator to close it.

Look forward to seeing you all on the new thread.  This one is now closed for entries!

SM

Thanks for running the STS challenge. I wish I could have gotten my latest shuttle mega mission done in time for this thread, or at least STS-9, but they're in the same save, and I can't timewarp to the end of STS-9 because I would miss a lot of windows for the mega mission. :( See you around the forums I guess.

Thank you very much for running and improving this challenge! It was a great ride.

Fly safe and may our trajectories intersect in some other orbit.

P.S. My crew sends a postcard

d016e8ecae69.png

P.P.S. Surface docking near this was probably not the wisest idea. There were a few... anomalies in the process. Also, it's quite slippery in this low gravity

Edited by Alchemist

SpeedingMullet,

thank you again for creating and maintaining this awesome challenge for such a long time. I spent countless hours designing, tweaking and flying Kolumbia and I had so much fun.

I hope to see all of you in yet another version of the shuttle challenge, which is now alive here:

The king is dead, long live the king! :)

Michal.don